Just back from Oasis of the Seas!

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Just back from an awesome week on Oasis of the Seas! This was our 2nd cruise, however the first one was a 4 day with Carnival almost 8 years ago. We barely remember it, and it was a much different experience. DH & I cruised with my parents, and this was their very first cruise. We chose the eastern itinerary.

Hits (for us):

-The food! We didn’t have one meal we did not enjoy. We tried Sabor, Chops and Izumi Hibachi and I would recommend all 3 of them. We also did the 3 restaurant package for $85 per person which we thought was a great deal and well worth the money.

-The shows and entertainment. We saw Oasis of Dreams, the headliner show (Elvis impersonator), the comedy show, Love & Marriage game show, and the Quest. We also played one game of Bingo and did trivia Schooner Bar a few times. Enjoyed all of it. Didn’t make it to Come Fly With Me or the ice show, and opted to skip Cats.

-Service. Never encountered a rude or unhelpful employee. Our waiter in the MDR was awesome, our room attendant was perfect, and the two people I dealt with at guest services were more than helpful.

-Solarium – loved this space for adults. Always found chairs, very relaxing, and the pool in the Solarium was perfect to hang in. The glass over the top of the Solarium also blocked most of the wind, which was great because it was quite windy a few days.

-Ports of call – we loved this itinerary. They were all beautiful, amazing weather, and each island was better than the last. We liked St. Maarten the most.

Misses (for us):

-Royal’s shore excursions were meh. I know most people here don’t book their excursions through the cruise line, but I was most comfortable doing that for our first time, not knowing what to expect. It was a lot of hurry up and wait. We enjoyed them, but I definitely see the value in researching and doing things on your own. Next time!

-Food – Windjammer’s food was good, but it was the same day after day. Lots of options so we always found something, but some dessert variety or side choice variety every day would have been cool. Sorrento’s pizza was gross! lol! Not a huge deal, especially since there’s no upcharge, but I was disappointed. I also would have liked a pizza option at the buffet, but I understand why there’s not since Sorrento’s exists. And the lack of convenient soft serve machines was disappointing as well. Spending most of our time in the Solarium, we rarely made it over to the main pool deck and the two times we did, the soft serve line was quite long!

-Activities – I was a little bummed a lot of the things I was interested in participating in were offered during the day, which is when I’d rather be laying out in the Solarium! There were a few things like Bingo, trivia, and a Q&A with the performers I would have liked to attend, but they were only offered during the day. And on the nights when I did not have a show reservation, I didn’t find a whole lot of other things to do in terms of organized activities.

-Bars - in more than one place, bar service was sloooow. It seemed some of the bars were understaffed during peak times. We also found it confusing at times as to what was included with our drink packages and what wasn't. I wish it were more concise or straightforward. For instance, the bucket of beers at the pool is NOT included with the drink package. We assumed it was, since individual beers are included. Our server did not convey this to us, so imagine our surprise when she brought back the bucket with a $35 receipt!

Overall, we had a great time and I am very pleased with Royal, the ship, and the entire experience. Now trying to figure out when we can go again!

Sorrentos is what it is. I find the choose your toppings option yields a better pizza, but overall it's slightly better than a Big Chain takeaway, and much better than Dominos.

Most of us would tell you that Park Cafe is the lunch/snack spot to try on Oasis class. Hope you had a chance to do so.

We did try Park Cafe. It was good, but the roast beef sandwiches there are a staple in my city of Buffalo, NY. Beef on weck. So here in Buffalo, we just do them better. It's like a New Yorker trying to eat Florida pizza - it's sufficient but not like home! lol! But I definitely agree Park Cafe is a good quick lunch stop.

I respectfully disagree that Sorrento's is any better than a true pizza chain though. Sorrento's was on par with frozen DiGiorno pizza. It's probably good with a buzz at 1am, but not for someone with a real pizza craving IMO!

Nice review! We were on Oasis a few years ago and loved it! I remember the pizza being ok but it could have gone down hill in the last few years.
Can't comment on excursions with the ship as we never booked any through the ship but nice to hear you enjoyed the restaurants, we only got to Izumi and it was good.
We were fine with bar service but the drink packages were not a huge thing yet when we went. That is annoying about the bucket!
St Maarten was our fav too!

So, what's your next cruise ;)

So, what's your next cruise ;)

LOL - you're a mind reader! I'd love to try Allure Western Itinerary next. Also considering the Empress of the Seas 4 day cruises to Key West & Cuba. I'm sure it would be an adjustment going from Oasis to Empress, but it would be very cool to see Cuba.

I respectfully disagree that Sorrento's is any better than a true pizza chain though. Sorrento's was on par with frozen DiGiorno pizza. It's probably good with a buzz at 1am, but not for someone with a real pizza craving IMO!
A fair point. Although if you have a real pizza craving, you're probably going to a local joint and not Papa Johns. I live in the Toronto area, so "good pizza chain" is, generally speaking, an oxymoron.

Western is a decent itinerary. I've done it twice - once on Allure, once on DCL Fantasy.

For Jamaica I've done Dunn's River Falls, which is fun and probably something people should try once.

Cozumel you can go to Tulum, or you can go out on your own and get to a beach. We had planned on going to a resort/beach (don't remember which one tbh) last time in Cozumel but we got rained out.

A fair point. Although if you have a real pizza craving, you're probably going to a local joint and not Papa Johns. I live in the Toronto area, so "good pizza chain" is, generally speaking, an oxymoron.

Western is a decent itinerary. I've done it twice - once on Allure, once on DCL Fantasy.

For Jamaica I've done Dunn's River Falls, which is fun and probably something people should try once.

Cozumel you can go to Tulum, or you can go out on your own and get to a beach. We had planned on going to a resort/beach (don't remember which one tbh) last time in Cozumel but we got rained out.

Yes, I just meant on the ship. Sorrento's wasn't hitting the spot when we were craving pizza sober. lol! Thanks for the tips on the Western ports - Dunn's River is definitely on my list! Was it Nachi Cocom on Cozumel by chance? I wrote down a few beach clubs which sounds like a good stop.

Yes, I just meant on the ship. Sorrento's wasn't hitting the spot when we were craving pizza sober. lol! Thanks for the tips on the Western ports - Dunn's River is definitely on my list! Was it Nachi Cocom on Cozumel by chance? I wrote down a few beach clubs which sounds like a good stop.

What was disappointing about the pizza? I love bad pizza, so I'm curious if it's something that's in my wheelhouse. Super thin, cardboard-like crust, too much grease, very little sauce, etc?? Those would be pluses in my book - but I'm weird like that.

For Western Caribbean adventures, we've done the same basic itinerary on DCL several times.
In Cozumel we've enjoyed the Twister Boat to Isla de Pasion - the kids still think that is the greatest excursion ever. My wife & her sisters went to Fly High Adventures: Zip-line and Eco-Park in 2016 and totally enjoyed it. We're going this summer as a family.

In Grand Cayman we really enjoy the turtle farm/dolphin excursion and visiting Stingray City. We're alternating between the two excursions each cruise.

Don't know what to do in Jamaica, our Disney itineraries haven't stopped there. Based on the recommendations we've received on this board, we'll probably make our pilgrimage to Dunn's River Falls.

I don't think it was Nachi Cocom, but it was also 2 years ago, so my memory is rather fuzzy!

I do remember that I looked at a combination of resortforaday-type sites (for prices) and tripadvisor (for reviews, filtering out the 1 and 5 star reviews) to find places.

Been to Cozumel a few times via cruise and the best thing we have ever done is -

http://cozumelbarhop.com/

Takes you to the other side of island, rustic, no power, beautiful! Fun local bars, good drinks .... and some excellent coconut shrimp.

We've done the beach thing, the shopping thing and this was the best.

Glad you had a good trip. Good report.

I just got off Allure 3weeks ago. We did the Western Caribbean and had a great time. We didn't do excursions so I am no help. Loved thr Labadee Beach Day. Falmouth was a write off since my DD was sick that day so I spent most of the day in the stateroom with her staring at thr Disney Fantasy parked next to us. Lol. DH took DD1 just around the gated port area. In Cozomel we took a cab downtown and walk around. If we go back there I will most likely do the chankannab advwnture park. I heard some popel talking about it and they really enjoyed it.

Can't comment on the pizza since no one but my 13 year old tried it. It was on the day her sister was sick. Oddly we never got back there. I did like park cafe. I had the roast beef sandwhich which was good and DH had a really nice Salad. I wanted to go there for breakfast but again we never made it. I needed another week to try all the things I wanted to and missed.

What was disappointing about the pizza? I love bad pizza, so I'm curious if it's something that's in my wheelhouse. Super thin, cardboard-like crust, too much grease, very little sauce, etc?? Those would be pluses in my book - but I'm weird like that.

The pizza was clearly frozen and re-heated. That can be ok if it's good, but we didn't like it. It was thin, cardboard like crust. The slices were also small (like you'd have with a frozen pizza at home), so two slices equaled one "regular" size slice. Wasn't greasy or saucy, just didn't have a ton of flavor for us!

The pizza was clearly frozen and re-heated. That can be ok if it's good, but we didn't like it. It was thin, cardboard like crust. The slices were also small (like you'd have with a frozen pizza at home), so two slices equaled one "regular" size slice. Wasn't greasy or saucy, just didn't have a ton of flavor for us!

Interesting. I can't wait to try it!

Interesting. I can't wait to try it!

lol everyone is different - maybe you'll like it! Just a disappointment for us. I like to splurge when it comes to eating junk food on vacation, and pizza is usually my go to. This time it was Ben & Jerry's. LOL!

lol everyone is different - maybe you'll like it! Just a disappointment for us. I like to splurge when it comes to eating junk food on vacation, and pizza is usually my go to. This time it was Ben & Jerry's. LOL!

I'll have to let you know what I thought of the pizza after we return from our cruise. It's hard to beat Ben & Jerry's as a go-to snack! I'm assuming you pay per item at Ben & Jerry's, not a cover charge like Johnny Rockets. Otherwise, I'd pay the cover when they open and not leave until they close. I like my ice cream. Ice cream & bad pizza, sounds like a good vacation to me!

Ha, all the Sorrento's comments... My 8 year old son claims it is the best pizza ever. I think it is a sliver above a microwavable frozen pizza. It hits the spot after a few drinks, and tolerable the rest of the time.

Besides, pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad it's good. :D

I'll have to let you know what I thought of the pizza after we return from our cruise. It's hard to beat Ben & Jerry's as a go-to snack! I'm assuming you pay per item at Ben & Jerry's, not a cover charge like Johnny Rockets. Otherwise, I'd pay the cover when they open and not leave until they close. I like my ice cream. Ice cream & bad pizza, sounds like a good vacation to me!

Its unfortunately priced a la carte. lol! Around $3.50 for two scoops I think? BUT they have a cupcake sundae and they change out the ice cream flavors daily. Well worth it!

LOL @moericus - my sentiments exactly! Good when you've been drinking and want a quick snack, because it's fast and easy to get. But not a viable lunch or dinner, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter