• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from OKW, wonderful but VERY LOUD!!!

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
HI All,

We had a great time visiting our new home for the first time. It was a surprise trip and all in all fun. We arrived on Thursday and had no problems checking in. Friday was a day to relax at the pool, let the girls hang out at Hanks and then go for dinner. WE returned around 10:30 pm to a VERY loud party.....WE thought it was on the property but after seeking out where the noise was coming from we couldn't quite figure it out. Well, the LOUD music FINALLY stopped around 3:00 AM!!!!

Needless to say, we slept VERY late the next morning and then just went back to the pool for R & R! WE rented a Pontoon and went for a cruise on Saturday. The girls fell asleep on the boat!!! WE enjoyed meeting other DVC members and had an enjoyable day at the pool. There were a few members very upset when about 20 gentlemen embarked on the pool area and proceeded to display their public affection for one another (that's when we rented the boat!!). It was a little uncomfortable, especially having to explain it to my 9 year old DD!!!!! But, that's life and we knew it was Gay Weekend!!

The CM's were very nice and willing to accomodate. I did not get a WELCOME HOME from the guard, the front desk...but 1 bellhop did Welcome me Home and my DH Thanked him. He told him I had been waiting for it!!

Oh!! I later found out that the LOUD music was coming from Typhoon Lagoon and not on the OKW property. My DH asked the manager if it was like that EVERY weekend night! We were a little concerned thinking it was "party central" on weekends!! The manager explained that it came from Typhoon Lagoon and it was a private party!! We were in building 38 for those of you wondering.

Can't wait to return in July.........

glad you had a good time. we were at bwv last year during gay days and it was interesting.

Hi Rosemary and family glad you enjoyed your first trip home, we are due to meet with yourself and others on the evening of the 23rd Jul at OKW pool, we shall now only be staying 5 days at Okw and 9 at the VWL, so hopefully we can meet at VWL when you arrive. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Stevie Kay, Mary DW,Rachel DD.

Inverness
Scotland

CBR 98
ASMO 00
OKW/VWL 01

Glad to hear your first trip home was a good one! And just the first of many.

Someone posted a list of the Gay Day weekend activities on another board and the party at Typhoon Lagoon on Friday night was listed. So it's not an every weekend thing. The two times I stayed at OKW (bldg 26 or 28), it was very quiet the whole week.

I didn't see the list on the other site about the party at Typhoon Lagoon. We were hoping that this wasn't an "every weekend thing" and when my DH spoke with the manager she reassured us. I couldn't believe how loud the music was and it was coming from Typhoon Lagoon. I was happy when it stopped at 3 AM!!!! Glad to hear it doesn't happen often.

Even if the party was posted as an activity, it does upset me somewhat that Disney allows private parties to go on so loud into the wee hours. We had a similar situation last year when staying at BWV (different time of year) and there was a private party at MGM that went on until 2 AM.

You would think Disney would cap the noise or the time, remembering that this is a family destination resort, and kids usually don;t stay up until 3 AM.

A private party at Typhooon Lagoon? Wow, I wonder how much that cost, and to go into all hours of the night like that, too. I would have been a bit stressed if it kept me up! ;)

Sorry it ruined your trip, but I'm sure your next stay will be more pleasurable! :)

I've luckily never had to deal with noise from a private party at one of the parks. But we did have to deal with some EXTREMELY loud and obnoxious "neighbors" at OKW once. We were in a studio that was a lock-off to a one bedroom. Apparently there were a number of families vacationing and they decided to dump all the kids into the room adjoining ours, while the adults went to PI one night. I think there were about 8 or nine kids of varying ages in there. I'm talking yelling, screaming, loud TV, bouncing a ball against the common wall, fiddling with the door between the rooms until the wee hours of the morning. At one point I had to open the adjoining door and tell one kid to stop fiddling with the doorknob. That scared the crap out of the little #@$*& but did nothing for the noise. We complained to the front desk and although they were very apologetic and did say something to the parents the next morning, it only made it worse the next night. I swear the parents' reaction must have been, like, "MAke more noise tonight....those jerks complained!" Luckily, they checked out the day after that, otherwise I was about to throw a couple of the brats and their parents into the canal.

I can usually be understanding about excited and rambunctious kids...hey, I'm always telling our kids to keep it down and be mindful of our "neighbors". But this was ridiculous.

Other than this one time, we've always had nice neighbors.

wdwoldtimer

wow! usually everybody's concerned witht he noise at the BW, and is always saying how quiet OKW is!
You must have been very surprised!!!!!!!!

glad to hear you had a great trip though!!!!!!!!!

Laura :)

We were in building 35 and heard the music from Typhoon Lagoon too. We've been at OKW around the same time for the past 5 years and this is the first time we've been bothered by anything like this. Usually it's extremely quiet, especially at night.

LIdisneyfan - I commented to my husband that I felt as if Disney shouldn't be allowing private parties to be so loud as to bother their hotel guests, but I guess they didn't ask my opinion. ;) In the past, we've had similar problems while staying at the Poly with music from the MK during grad nights.

Sorry to hear that you had trouble with your stay at OKW. My DW and I used their web page to make sure that we would be avoiding as much of their Gay Days activities as possbile. Thier website is www.gaydays.com .

We had very little problems except for Saturday night when my youngest DD (10) and I were in line for the Rock-n-Roller Coaster and two females decided to show their affection for each other right in front of us. I was at a loss for words let alone trying to explain that one to a 10 year old.

I didn't have any problems with it being Gay Weekend, my DH may have been a little uncomfortable, but the problem came with the VERY LOUD party at Typhoon Lagoon until 3:00 AM!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking for some peace and quiet............

We had a similar experience at HHI when parents stayed in one room when all the kids were over our living area. Then the parents left for a period of time and it got noisy. The management called the room and it would get quieter for awhile but it didn't last. The next night was worse then they left. And we were very happy (ever after).

came from. I also thought someone at OKW was throwing a big party. We were in Bldg 33. (Turtle Pond). I used to work for a gay mail order business that played club music all day long in the warehouse...I got so tired of that noise, I still hate going to a club. On the bright side, Mom is deaf in one ear, so she rolled over on her 'good ear' and went right off to sleep. Maybe the wind changed a little around 11pm and the noise didn't 'carry' as far, the music didn't seem as loud after that, although you could still hear the heavy bass beat. Thank goodness we were not back by South Point bus stop, I'll bet it was really loud there.

I thought I saw something on one of the other boards which stated that this party had been cancelled. I guess there were a lot of compliants about the noise last year. Does anyone else remember something like that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter