Just back from POR! My review thread

jenrose66

DIS Veteran
I stayed at POR from 2/3 to 2/8 with my mom and my daughter who just turned 3 in November. We were located in building 28 on the 2nd floor. Our room was Garden View (I was fine with standard view but we had a free dining pin and garden was all that was available at the time of booking). We had a view of a nice little swamp type garden and the quiet pool. We were at the very back of the building though and if we had been 2 rooms back we would have faced the parking lot. We were closest to the West Bus Depot and found it was quicker to walk along the parking lot to get the bus stop, even though it wasn't as scenic as following the signs through the resort around the buildings.

I did not bring a stroller for DD and it took 10 minutes to walk to the food court or pool area when we walked together. I was able to make it in 5 or 6 minutes alone. I didn't mind the walk but my mom complained about it a lot. I guess I can see why people request certain room locations at this resort and if I stay here again in the future I would probably do the same.

This is a beautiful resort. I had stayed at POFQ a few times but it has been about 9 years. Our room was very nice and it was clean and in good condition. I appreciated having the trundle bed so DD had her own sleeping space. However, I did find storage to be a bit lacking and think it would be tight with a family of 5 (which I have, but I didn't have everyone because we went with my mom and she takes one grandchild at a time :) )

I found service efficient and friendly. Check in was easy as was dealing with concierge when I had an issue with one of my dining reservations (I have some thoughts on the dining plan but I will review that in a separate thread on the dining plan board). The entire resort was clean and in good repair and the gift shop was big and well stocked.

I had a few criticisms. These aren't deal breakers for me and I wasn't upset about them, I just know the readers on the DIS appreciate details so I will make mention of what I didn't like, just as I have mentioned what I did like.

I didn't care for the bus transportation. It wasn't particularly slow as in the amount of time it takes for a bus to show up, however with making 5 stops it takes up to 15 minutes before leaving the resort.

I don't know if this issue is POR specific but I hated the new automated mug refill. Half the time I'd put my mug on the tray and hit the button for pop and the machine would tell me to place my mug on the tray, like it wasn't registering. Sometimes I'd give up and go to another machine. I saw other people having the same problem. I just found the system glitchy. Plus I mean I get the point that they are doing this so people don't bring old mugs every year, however, when they say the mugs won't work at different resorts that isn't true. We had been walking around the resort exploring after dinner and found our way to POFQ and for research sake and my own thirst I tried my mug there and it worked no problem which leads me to believe mugs are chipped to length of stay but can't discern what resort you are at.

Also there is horse poop on the ground from the horse drawn carriage rides. The resort doesn't have the best lighting in the evening and after a close call we realized we needed to be paying close attention to the ground while we were walking.

My final thought on the resort is that it is very nice. The theme is definitely nicer to look at than a value resort...but not worth the extra cost in my opinion. I actually liked AoA and AsMo better and found myself missing it there. The bus sharing with the all stars doesn't take as long because the stops are closer together and with a family of five I love the AoA family suite. Plus I think the food courts at the values have more to choose from.

I would sacrifice space to stay at a Deluxe resort near Epcot or on the Monorail due to ease of transportation...if I had a good room discount. However, when DH and I go back for a family vacation we are considering staying at a vacation home offsite and visiting some other places (universal and legoland)...

All in all I had a nice stay and we all had fun. Feel free to ask any questions :)

I had the same mug issues every single day at ASMusic and ASMovies. So much so that I won't get the mug again. YES, mugs CAN be used at other resorts.

For me, moderates are not worth the price different over values. Frankly, I did not find deluxes worth it either, but I have yet to stay at a Crescent Lake resort.

I had the same mug issues every single day at ASMusic and ASMovies. So much so that I won't get the mug again. YES, mugs CAN be used at other resorts.

For me, moderates are not worth the price different over values. Frankly, I did not find deluxes worth it either, but I have yet to stay at a Crescent Lake resort.

DH and I stayed at Yacht Club last April for his work conference. I loved the area. Being able to walk to Epcot and HS was super convenient.

You are frightening me. DD4 and I love ASMo. We have stayed at several resorts, including deluxe, but we just love ASMo. This trip we are staying in a Royal Room at POR because she is turning 5 and I wanted everything to be princess. I so hope that we love it and aren't wishing we had gone back to our favorite.

The issue with the mugs is quite recent. I make trips to the resorts a few times a year, and was really taken back when I found out about the chips in the mugs. Luckily I don't think the chip works on coffee and tea? We used to buy the mugs, in thinking we would use them next time. Since when we went we only go for a few days, so it really wasn't worth buying unless we used them on our next stay. I even would see people taking it to the next level and using their own mugs for drinks that weren't even disney! As far as I know you can use them at all resorts, but only till your chip runs out. It's basically a way for disney to monitor your mug use, because they don't typically like being rude and stopping people from using items, so they took this route.

Alas far as POR, personally it's my value resort that isn't a deluxe. To me it's always worth the upgrade over a value, mainly because we spend more Time at the resort than most people who go for parks. If you try to enjoy the resort, if you sit back and look its way better than any of the value ones, and even better than all the other mods. Even with some long walks, it's atlesst typically quieter and more private. Plus the walks aren't too bad if you get a close room. I am going there this weekend actually for valentines day, and going to try to enjoy the resort pool if it's not too cold :)

Thanks for sharing your review OP. I've been contemplating POR for our next visit (not till next year) and the only thing I've really had concerns about were the buses. Do I really want to pay the extra for a mod over a value, if we are typically happy at a value and we'll have a longer wait time getting off resort property to the parks from a mod?
I think the resort looks absolutely beautiful and The Princess and the Frog is one of my daughter's favorites, but we really are park people..

I've got awhile to figure it out, but I appreciate your review with both the plus and negative sides.

You are frightening me. DD4 and I love ASMo. We have stayed at several resorts, including deluxe, but we just love ASMo. This trip we are staying in a Royal Room at POR because she is turning 5 and I wanted everything to be princess. I so hope that we love it and aren't wishing we had gone back to our favorite.

I don't mean to frighten you! I enjoyed my trip. I was happy I tried POR. The royal rooms look very nice and they light up the fountains in that area at night in different colors :)

We had a fun time and I am glad I tried the resort. For me, in the future, the cost in comparison to a value would make me choose the value instead, however it was a very nice resort!

Also if you don't like it Disney will change it for you if there is availability. If you go back to a value they will just credit you the difference. I know this because my mom was complaining so much about the walking that I asked if there was space at POFQ (there wasn't), but the concierge explained how it would work if we switched resorts.

Make sure you walk around the resort in the morning! There are so many singing birds. It is so relaxing! Also at night, there was so many frogs croaking. It was super cool. I'm still wondering if they had speakers hidden and they were piping in the sound.

Thanks for sharing your review OP. I've been contemplating POR for our next visit (not till next year) and the only thing I've really had concerns about were the buses. Do I really want to pay the extra for a mod over a value, if we are typically happy at a value and we'll have a longer wait time getting off resort property to the parks from a mod?
I think the resort looks absolutely beautiful and The Princess and the Frog is one of my daughter's favorites, but we really are park people..

I've got awhile to figure it out, but I appreciate your review with both the plus and negative sides.

I think it's worth a try! It's fun to try new things :)

I'm sure you've investigated and found that each of the moderates has multiple, internal stops. The good thing is that fewer people are getting on at each stop since the resort has multiple stops. _I_ compare it to when the AS share buses.

For ME (I go to WDW 3-4x/year) the moderates are not worth the extra money until summer, when I enjoy have multiple, quiet pools with deep ends. My December stay was at Movies, late this month I'll be at Pop.

I will say that I think POR has the best food court on property. :-)

I'm sure you've investigated and found that each of the moderates has multiple, internal stops. The good thing is that fewer people are getting on at each stop since the resort has multiple stops. _I_ compare it to when the AS share buses.

For ME (I go to WDW 3-4x/year) the moderates are not worth the extra money until summer, when I enjoy have multiple, quiet pools with deep ends. My December stay was at Movies, late this month I'll be at Pop.

I will say that I think POR has the best food court on property. :-)

Yup, I've done lots of homework :) We'll probably just go with what budget allows at the time. If we get a great deal at POR then we'll probably try it to be different. If not, then we'll happily stick with one of the All Stars and try POR another time. I do look forward to trying the food court at POR sometime. I hear so many good things about it. I've been there, but it was back when the resort was Dixie Landings. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then. :goodvibes

Don't worry, you'll love it, and so will DD.

We also just got back from POR royal room. We loved it. My DD is 10 and sadly exiting that phase but loved all the details of the room,so did her brother. The only drawback I had with POR is the buses. Sometimes shared with POFQ,sometimes not. At night sometimes all the stops on the loop sometimes only 1 stop at the lobby. The good thing is the RR are not that long a walk from the lobby.

OP, there is a small oops in your post. POR only has 4 bus stops, not 5. South is the main bus stop by the gift shop, then West, North, and East.

OP, there is a small oops in your post. POR only has 4 bus stops, not 5. South is the main bus stop by the gift shop, then West, North, and East.

You are right...however we were bus sharing this trip so the bus in general was making 5 stops :) We were using the West Depot and stopped at an additional 3 stops before leaving the resort.

Alas far as POR, personally it's my value resort that isn't a deluxe. To me it's always worth the upgrade over a value, mainly because we spend more Time at the resort than most people who go for parks. If you try to enjoy the resort, if you sit back and look its way better than any of the value ones, and even better than all the other mods. Even with some long walks, it's atlesst typically quieter and more private. Plus the walks aren't too bad if you get a close room. I am going there this weekend actually for valentines day, and going to try to enjoy the resort pool if it's not too cold :)

:thumbsup2 100% agree.

I don't mean to frighten you! I enjoyed my trip. I was happy I tried POR. The royal rooms look very nice and they light up the fountains in that area at night in different colors :)

We had a fun time and I am glad I tried the resort. For me, in the future, the cost in comparison to a value would make me choose the value instead, however it was a very nice resort!

Also if you don't like it Disney will change it for you if there is availability. If you go back to a value they will just credit you the difference. I know this because my mom was complaining so much about the walking that I asked if there was space at POFQ (there wasn't), but the concierge explained how it would work if we switched resorts.

Make sure you walk around the resort in the morning! There are so many singing birds. It is so relaxing! Also at night, there was so many frogs croaking. It was super cool. I'm still wondering if they had speakers hidden and they were piping in the sound.

Thanks so much for the tips. I usually don't go on a trip with DD4 with expectations because I know better, but I've been planning her 5th birthday at Disney since before her birth. I'm sure she will love it.

For those of you considering the royal guest rooms for your daughters I think they would love it. We stayed in one last spring and my DD9 loved it. She loved the details in the beautiful room, it really felt like a princess room to her. She also liked the pools, the grounds, and the whole feel of the resort. This January we stayed at All-Star Sports and we all liked that as well. The one difference I noticed in the food court offerings was that POR had ice cream and shakes, while ASsp had gelato which was delicious but a very small serving for the price. Everything about ASsp seemed well maintained and fresh. We like both places, but POR (with a discount) was worth it for us and was special for our daughter.

We stayed at POR a couple weeks ago and FELL IN LOVE!!! So peaceful, so beautiful and it just fit our family perfectly. Now that being said, we did have a river view room on the bottom floor on the corner so our walk to the main pool, a quiet pool, the River Mill and South Depot (closest stop for us and CM had mentioned at check in it would be the best to load on here because it filled with strollers quickly). We stayed at AoA previously and while we loved it there and the themeing was incredible, I think if we dont splurge for the deluxe next time, we'll be back to POR for the forseeable future.

We are staying at POR Royal Room Feb26-March 4th with free dining. First time staying here. We have only stayed deluxe so this is a first time at a moderate. We are excited to try something new. Our group has 10 of us. Mostly boys but decided to go for the Royal Rooms for the 2 younger girls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter