• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back from the Swan, Review May 24-29, 2007

luvmarypoppins

<font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu
We have stayed at the Swan many times now and this stay was great as usual. We originally tried for an ap rate or discount at the Polynesian but when nothing was available we saved $500 and went to the Swan. Also the Swan had no government rates available for this time frame but we did get a discount using a code I found on one of the websites. I cant remember which one at present. We booked a resort view balcony room and that is exactly what we got. We had room 618, East Wing. Our room was about 4 down on the left from the elevator. Our view was looking out in the distance we could see the grotto pool to the left, the resort was behind us. I dont think anyone took pictures, oh well. The room was ready, no mold, mildew smell etc. And believe you me I would have smelled it since the one ds has asthma. The grounds were immaculate. The transportation by boat was fine. The disney desk and concierge desk people were very helpful. We bought our tickets there and I asked if they could print out our dining reservations and they did. I also observed them helping people try to make reservations who obviously didnt know what an adr was etc. Dh used the computer to print out our boarding passes. The only problem with that was he said it was off when he went to use it, strange because it was always on. He said he finally figured how to turn it on etc. Some little issues, I really dont want to say problems. The new lobby furniture. The main lobby chairs that are high backed are o.k. but the rest of the furniture is very small and not well suited for comfort to big people like dh and I. While it looks nice, its pretty unfunctional to people like us. I miss the old furniture!! We had some calls all pre-recorded reminding us about the spa services, telling us of spa discounts, I dont know if that was a written notice. Wondering if the spa is hurting for business? The new Pikabu prices seem high compared to the old Tubbies. Not just our door but a few by us did not shut automatically and you really had to pull it tight. Once we came back and GASP, the door was not locked. It was obvious that the turn down service person did not close it tight. I had all our valuables in the safe anyway so it was not an issue but we had to constantly check it. It was the holiday weekend and the 6 epcot resorts still had to share busses to downtown disney and animal kingdom I think. It was really an issue to have to stop at 6 resorts etc. I really wish Disney would do something about this. We were so busy in the parks we didnt even get to go in the grotto pool. One day one of the ds said he went back to the room at 4 pm and it was not made up, he was the only one there so I dont know what happened but the rest of the days it was fine. Our whole family was happy with our stay at the Swan and we will be there again.

Glad to hear you had mainly a great stay. :thumbsup2

We are staying at the Dolphin in August, could you please tell me where the computer was situation which your DH used to print out boarding passes, as we would like to do the same.

We always ring housekeeping and request an early time for housekeeping to do the room, and then if we decided to pop back fo a swim, it is done and we don't have to worry about housekeeping coming in when we are using the room.

Sorry to hear that Picabu prices have risen against Tubbi's, hopefully we can bear it with the good exchange rate at the mo.

Thanks for a great headsup!

Glad to hear you had a good time. I stayed there once, but that was in 94. We are staying there in July and I too would like to know where to print out boarding passes. Our flights are later and just like to check in ahead of time.

We are staying at the Dolphin in August, could you please tell me where the computer was situation which your DH used to print out boarding passes, as we would like to do the same.

!

I have never stayed at the Dolphin but at the Swan the kiosk to checkin at the airport and print passes was alongside the concierge desk right around the corner from the main checkin area so maybe at the Dolphin they have a similar set up.

Super! I really enjoyed reading your review!

And I totally agree with you about that dang AK bus. Altho we will be at the Swan for our first visit this August, last August we stayed at BWI, which is part of that six-bus-stop loop you mentioned. Only for BWI it ended up being seven bus stops! Horrible!

Super! I really enjoyed reading your review!

And I totally agree with you about that dang AK bus. Altho we will be at the Swan for our first visit this August, last August we stayed at BWI, which is part of that six-bus-stop loop you mentioned. Only for BWI it ended up being seven bus stops! Horrible!

When we were at the Swan last August the bus never went to YC, BC or BW, maybe because of the crowds, I don't know. During our stay the bus started at the Swan, then Dolphin and then the parks. On certain trips sometimes it went to the BW first, then Swan, then Dolphin. The bus was so loaded after picking up at the Dolphin that no way could it have gone to YC or BC. The only time during our stay that the bus went to YC and BC was when it was going Downtown and I'm sure that is because that trip is a long one and they want to get everyone.

Hi,
Good to hear a mainly positive post.Thank you, hope you don't mind a few questions:)
Re the housekeeping as DH will need to rest in the pm's do you think we could request an early mousekeeping visit so he is not disturbed resting? We will be out early in the am.
We have the teachers rate for late July and have a room with a limited view and 2 queen beds.
DH has an ECV do you think there will be room or should we request a king sized bed when we check in?
Are there coffee makers in the room?

If you need early housekeeping then I would give them a call before you leave to request it. During my stays everytime we left for the parks in the morning housekeeping was already in our hallway so I guess it depends. Yes, there are coffeemakers in the rooms.

Hi,
Good to hear a mainly positive post.Thank you, hope you don't mind a few questions:)
Re the housekeeping as DH will need to rest in the pm's do you think we could request an early mousekeeping visit so he is not disturbed resting? We will be out early in the am.
We have the teachers rate for late July and have a room with a limited view and 2 queen beds.
DH has an ECV do you think there will be room or should we request a king sized bed when we check in?
Are there coffee makers in the room?

I havent stayed in a room with a King Bed but I think the poster Talking Hands has stayed with an ECv, but not sure if it was the Swan or Dolphin and if I remember correctly she said it was hard to navigate the vehicle in the room and to plug in for a recharge. You might want to send her a pm. We have had rooms with limited views before and they do appear to be smaller than other rooms we have had, especially ones with a balcony. We have had a corner room at the Dolphin and it was huge. Lots of room to move around in with 2 double beds. Does your dh need a handicapped accessible room, (shower etc?)

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
We did have an accessible room at the POP booked before we discovered the rate for teachers at the Swan. This had a king bed.
DH can manage the bath ok so we are not too bothered about the accessibility of the bathroom facilities but was just a bit concerned about 2 beds and the ECV.
We are staying in a villa in Venice for 11 nights before we come to WDW so we will probably ring the Swan and have a chat with them about what we are getting.

yorkshire girl - hi, I have stayed at the Dolphin using an ECV. There is space in the room to put it at night, and to recharge it, not sure if the Swan room layout is the same? During the day, we just left it outside in the corridor, removed the key and it was fine. It was the first time I used an ECV and I managed to get it in the space, so it couldn't have been that difficult. Hope that helps a bit and have a great trip!

Glad you had a great trip....

I was at SSR 5-22-29th....I totally agree with the buses....
I went to BC from DTD....what a joke...

I just dont understand how 5 deluxe resorts get 1 bus:confused3
Kerri

I was at SSR 5-22-29th....I totally agree with the buses....
I went to BC from DTD....what a joke...

I just dont understand how 5 deluxe resorts get 1 bus:confused3
Kerri

You know I've always wondered the same thing. IMHO the Swan and Dolphin are so large on their own that they need their own bus. We stay at the Swan and at times once we're picked up it's already full and then we have to head to the Dolphin and now we're packed like sardines:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter