Just back from WDW with 2 yo and 4 month ds. A few things I learned...(long)

jbw3

Earning My Ears
We just got back from a 2 night three day stay at ASMo with our sons, age 2 and 4 months. These are some things that we did, and what everyone thought.
1. Animal Kingdom...we were going to skip this, but at the suggestion of a CM at the desk, we went at 8 am. Headed right to the safari. My 2 yo LOVED this. We rode again...no long lines. Again, he LOVED it. This was one of the things that he is still talking about. A giraffe wandered up to our vehicle and he got an excellent view. Highly recommend.
2. Character meal....Pooh at the Crystal Palace. This was a wonderful way for our son to warm up to the characters. I would suggest this to anyone even thinking about this.
3. Baby care centers...these were godsends for all of us. Nursing facilities were available as well as places for families to go to the bathroom...much cleaner than the park bathrooms. AK has the best baby center.
4. Strollers....get a good one. We did not have a good one (in my opinion) and it made it worse. The park strollers are hard buggies, and one mother commented that she wished she had brought her carrier since her little one would not sleep and could barely sit in the ones provided at MK. AK has the same ones, but I have heard that MGM has better ones. Can not comment on EPCOT since we were not there.
5. FASTPASS...this is a godsend. We used this on Pooh, Peter Pan, and Buzz. Our longest wait was about 30 minutes. Again, we were there during a down season, but it was wonderful. We got to ride Pooh twice in an hour and others were waiting for almost 30 minutes to get on.
6. E rides. My DS loved this since he got to ride Buzz without a wait. Literally, he rode 16 times in a row...my DH said he was getting carpal tunnel from riding it so much. And, we got to see characters without a wait. A wonderful opportunity for those with little ones. (And, we met moderator Dan Murphy while we were waiting!)
7. Breaks, relaxation, sunscreen and water...these are necessities. I would recommend a break to anyone with small kids. We did this and my DS was still exhausted!! Keep them hydrated. My DS was asking for water all the time!!! And, relax. My first day was miserable, because I was trying to anticipate each childs move all day. WRONG THING TO DO!!!
Another comment, my 4 month old DS was tired and cranky on the bus the day we left (at about 1:00 p.m.) People were more than nice. They empathized with us as we tried to keep him entertained and very very nice people gave up their seat so we could sit down. Fantastic people all around, and we really appreciate this fact.
Last comment....it was not easy to have them both there for the fact that one always needed attention (my little one) and some rides were hard to ride with him. So, my best advice is take it easy. Ride what you can. Relax when you can, and just enjoy the magic of the place. With small ones, you are not going to get to enjoy everything. But you are able to spend some quality time with your family and watch your children have a great time.
Hope this helps someone....I really turned to these boards before our trip.

Thank you jbw3 for your insights about travelling with 2 small children.

We have a trip planned for May with my 3-1/2 year old and 10 month old sons. I can 100% tell you that not a day goes by that I don't change my mind about going on this trip. I just don't know what to anticipate with my older son's behavior or my younger son's needs.

I guess all I can do, like you said, is to go, and to take it easy, don't plan too much and just relax and not be on a schedule sooo much.

Thanks for the advice.

More than once I thought about calling off our vacation.
You will have a great time....it is the anticipation of it all that was hard for me.
Three are definately harder than two but it was worth the time and the trip to see what a fantastic time my son was having.
A few other things I would offer...
Fastpass Winnie the Pooh the minute the park opens. We found that by doing that, we got to ride several times, always on a fastpass. My kids..both of them, loved that ride.
We took my son when he was 20 months and he was terrified of the characters. Again, I think if we had a character meal then, he would not have been as frightened. This year, it was every man for himself as far as he was concerned. Spotting a character stopped our family dead in our tracks because this was something that he wanted to do.
I hope you have a terrific time.
Flying or driving?
We came from IL also....it was a long drive, but I might have some suggestions regarding this also.

JBW3,

We are also driving from Illinois. We are staying overnight in both directions near Chatanooga, TN. We have a tv/vcr that we will have in the car, and we can also plug it in at the hotel. We also invested in an electric cooler, it also can either be plugged in the car or in our hotel room. I just realized that we can't have both plugged in at the same time in the car, but, oh well, we'll make it work.

I'd love to hear any other suggestions you might have. Thanks!

We drove straight through both times (we are close to St Louis). Older son was carsick in Chattanooga...both ways. The mountains really seemed to bother him.
We took five movies and "hid" them in December. Our trip was in Feb, so two months without these made my DS totally forget we had them. They were "new" to him and he enjoyed watching them each way. There are nice rest stops in Chattanooga, before the mountains, during, and then one when you come down. Clean, and the one in the mountains had room for my son to stretch out and run. Just a suggestion for you if you need it.
Also, we had a magna doodle, paper and pencils, and audiotapes for him to listen to. I taped some programs off of tv...filled a six hour tape of his favorites and he watched about half of it.
We did this last year with just one, and found that stops were important, as well as familiarity. Getting him off schedule was a terrible thing since he is really schedule driven at home also.
At Disney....
I can not emphasize having a good stroller you and your kids will be comfortable in. I can not recommend any, except I will recommend AGAINST a COMBI Twin Spin. We found it difficult to push and it made us miserable.
Where are you staying???
The most important piece of advice I can give is to relax, enjoy and not stress about the small stuff. IF you can, schedule a character meal. It was wonderful and my son loved it.
If you have anymore questions, let me know.
OH...one more thing. Lines at Disney get long sometimes....so I got my son a small magna doodle that would clip on his belt loop. He would play with it in line and that seemed to help pass the wait time.

JBW3,

We are staying offsite. I got the Rosen Centre for $35.00 per night through Priceline.

I understand that the hotel has a nice pool area, with a kiddie pool. Also, hotel is suppose to have a playground. It is on International Drive, close to everything.

Right now we have 1 day at MGM, 1 day at MK and 1 day at IOA. My husband and I love Universal, so we had to schedule the IOA visit. We are still thinking on adding 1 more park. I think we'll also do 1 day at AK.

How was it with your baby, bottles, jar food, etc.???

We took our 2 year old DS last September, and I pretty much agree with everything you said. Of course, it was easier for us, only having the one child. And we also had helpful friends with us.

We brought our stroller with us and were glad we did. We didn't have to leave the park to take breaks, our son just took his nap in the stroller.

As you said, the best thing is to forget about what you can't do, and focus on what you can. Its definitely a different experience with a youngster, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Raidermatt

Inevitably my husband always ends up with the 6yr old and I with the 2 yr old, which is ok; but I need to mentally prepare myself. How many rides do you really think I will be able to go on with my 2 yr old he's loves characters and doesn't scare easy but I am thinking of safety and what the park will allow him on with me. Also how does the fast pass work since he doesn't have a park admissions pass (under 3 free)

Thanks.

RobinC34,

I went last year with my son who was almost 3. Since he didn't have a ticket, he just went with my husband on rides they did fast pass for.

He went on Buzz Lightyear, Tomorrowland Speedway, Dumbo, Tea Cups, Winnie the Pooh, the Train, (I forgot the official name),Carousel.

His favorites were Dumbo, Buzz Lightyear, and the Safari ride at AK.

thanks,

Im going with 13 year old twins, a 2 year old and my 4 month old in May. Your post really helped. I have a perego double stroller, bu =t I cherish it and don't want to p[ut it through the plane, rain and possibly getting lost. I'm buying a double Graco travel stroller just for disney.

Hi,
We're from Illinois too. Just a couple miles down the road from you LeahA. Our trip is planned for June.My kids are now 17, 8, 5 & 3 but have taken them when they were 6 months, and 1 1/2. Just don't try to do everything, and enjoy what you can do. The character meals are nice, we try to to at least one each visit. We sometimes take small bottles of bubbles to entertain the kids in line and waiting for meals. It's light weight and they seem to love them.

Have a great trip.

Robin

My some was able to go on everything that did not have a height restriction or a noise restriction. Of course, I did not take him on Space Mountain or anything like that, and we were not able to see everything, but we spent the majority of our time in Fantasyland and Toon Town as well as Tomorrowland. In Tomorrowland, there are the racetracks. My husband took my son, he got in the drivers seat and then switched with my son so that my son could steer (the cars are on tracks) and my DH did the pedals. My son loved it!! Rides in these places are fairly tame. He liked Pirates of the Caribbean (there is a little flume in this ride that we were not prepared for....and my DH had to hold on to my 4 month of DS)
Baby care centers are great. They have high chairs, microwaves, stoves, sinks to wash out bottles and little tables for older kids and a television playing the Disney channel or movies. These were lifesavers for us! Also "family" style bathrooms, great for a toddler who is toilet training when his dad needed to take him. The best center is in Animal Kingdom.....better highchairs etc. They were Perego chairs there, instead of the Jenny Lind wooden ones in the MK.
Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, even the Barnstormer in Toon Town (my ds is a daredevil!!) plus the playground in Toontown is a great place to relax. My ds loved the teacups also.
Soory for rambling here...just so much to say.
Saw a lot of people pushing the Graco duo rider strollers.....asked a woman and she said that she loved hers. That is really all I know about strollers.
It was great fun...we had a good time.
I do not know much about staying off site, but I guarantee if you are open minded and easygoing (which is was not he first day..) it will be great fun!!
My DS did not do well in the shows...just did not get into them. Maybe next year.
Good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions you can think of...I will try my best~!

Balgeman,

You are close to me! I never did the bubbles thing, but, it sounds like a good idea!

JBW3,

I will have to remember to pack my patience when going to Florida!!!! I can get very worried and upset, so I better pack a double dose!

Bring the stroller or strollers you are comfortable with. We brought one for each DD last month. We ended up walking from the MK parking lot to the monorail to avoid the hasstle of folding everything for the tram. You can roll right onto monorail and ferry.

We also found the baby centers to be great. While we fed DD (7 months), DD (4 years) was able to watch the tube. And, yes, the potty is way cleaner - and no auto-flush!

tink08.gif

Judie B

LeahA, you can plug more than one thing at a time with a "plug multiplier"(great technical term- LOL.)
We bought one at Meijers but I have also seen them at Walmart. It has a single plug for the cig lighter and then ours has room to plug three things into it. Actually the first one I bought only could plug two things but that would still help you. We needed it for our cooler and the kids gameboys.

Oh, It's a jolly holiday at Disney
No wonder that it's Disney that we love!

ShariB,

Your a lifesaver! I didn't know the sold those. We have a Meijer's near our house, I'll have to check.

Thanks!

Originally posted by LeahA
JBW3,

We are also driving from Illinois. We are staying overnight in both directions near Chatanooga, TN. We have a tv/vcr that we will have in the car, and we can also plug it in at the hotel. We also invested in an electric cooler, it also can either be plugged in the car or in our hotel room. I just realized that we can't have both plugged in at the same time in the car, but, oh well, we'll make it work.

I'd love to hear any other suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Check Radio Shack or an electronics store for a dual plug for the cigarette lighter. Good Luck on your trip!

Great post.

We hated the strollers at MGM, but loved the other ones. But my kids were older on their first trip - 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. My stroller advice - after reading numerous threads - is bring your own (or rent a traditional type from an off site company) for a child under 2. From 2 to 4 bring your own or rent - its a personal preference - at around 4 there are few strollers that will hold weight and size, unless you have or are willing to buy one of those (and its easy to manage), renting works well.

Thanks for the advice. We went when DD was 15mos old and she hated the characters, she is now doing better with everything. Take your time, list what you HAVE to do and if you get to do anything else, great!!! WE are taking our Graco Duo Glide, DS will be 13mos and DD 3 1/2. THough somedays I think about taking an umbrella stroller and our lightweight evenflo.

Just to note - the original post is from 2001 :) , so the info on the strollers provided at wdw may not be accurate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter