Just Back.... Holy Construction!

We got back last week. I was prepared for the DTD construction as well as the Poly construction, but had no idea that AK would be walled off so much or MK. Also we were disappointed that the Wilderness Lodge pool and lake areas were in such a mess. I have to say it did detract a great deal from our enjoyment but then I kept telling myself it was all for the good and WDW would be much better when finished. We're going back down for a couple of days in March and then for a week in October. It will be interesting to see what all has been completed. I do feel though for those folks who were visiting for the first time (especially the Poly).

The bottom line,

If you want new and updated resorts, pools, dinning places, shopping ad attractions in the parks, you have to build them.:thumbsup2

AKK

We just got back from 7 day trip and took a few hundred pictures in AK and MK, none of which were impacted by the walls or construction and got many great shots of the scenes in both parks, hardly noticed the walls.

Poly lobby is open now...

poly.jpg

I just got back, and wow, the amount of construction is crazy!
Downtown Disney is a mess, of course. The road is torn up. There are scaffolds and barriers everywhere. During the day it is incredibly loud because of the heavy equipment and power tools being used. And on Friday nights the traffic funneling in stretched all the way back to the highway turnoff (thankfully I had no intentions of shoving my way into it!).
Animal Kingdom is infested by barriers. There's a big one around the front perimeter of the tree, and another around the entirety of the lake below Everest.
Epcot and Hollywood Studios are largely free of the barriers (except for a rather obtrusive one on the main street of DHS), but so much is closed that it's hard not to notice.
The Polynesian barely resembles a resort, much less a deluxe one. The lobby has been reduced to a small corridor with giant curtains on one side, and your breakfast at Kona is likely to be interrupted by power tools (we ate there twice, and both times it was). The volcano is covered with scaffolding, and there are barriers all over the resort, particularly on the eastern edges.
Now I want to say, I'm all for this. Though I might quibble with this change or that, updating and refurbishment is largely a plus in my book. But I have the luxury of being a repeat visitor, and at that, one who spends half of each visit working amidst the sounds of forklifts and power tools at the OCCC. I do feel bad for the once-in-a-lifetime folks, though. It's a shame that some people's only experience with WDW will be colored by so much construction. And I feel bad for those who didn't entirely appreciate the level of construction at the Polynesian, and booked there anyway. I can't imagine it would be all that pleasant to spend a trip there.
In any case, I would guess that in the run-up to the 50th anniversary construction is going to be more pervasive than usual, but man, it's difficult to imagine much more than this.....

I know what you mean. This summer was crazy with everything going on. We have been at least once a year for the last 8 year. We booked again for this coming summer, but I think we are going to cancel and push off the trip until most of the construction is complete. We love Disney and will continue to visit, but the magic is a little off with all the heavy equipment and activity. I know they do their best to hide it, but looking down Main Street from the castle to see all that going on is a little nerve racking.

I too feel bad for those that may have saved up for years to have that once in a lifetime visit. Hopefully they do some research and plan for a time when things are back in place.

Our family is excited about all the new things on the way, just not sure we want to be seeing it as it is going on.

Absolutely. Maybe just not all at once.
Exactly. I feel like this just shows that Disney got complacent and ended up neglecting things for too long. Then, when they discovered how much things had been neglected, it was a rush to improve things which lead to construction all over the place.

Poly lobby is open now...

poly.jpg

So the waterfall is definitely gone? I had read that they were getting rid of it but then read that they were reconsidering and might keep it.:sad1:

Yeah, it's a mess and very unsightly. I feel for the people that are first-time or only-time visitors coming when everything looks so bad.

This is us, first visit and likely only visit coming up in March. Hopefully we will be able to look past all the construction.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Poly lobby. It's lovely, but not unique. It looks so much to me like the overall design of WL and AKL. Maybe I have to see it in person to appreciate it.

That little pile of rocks in the centre of the lobby puts me in mind of the Stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap! LOL

We just got back, and feel the same way. We stayed at the GF, and you could see a lot of the Poly construction as the monorail went by, and from the boats. It was kind of depressing. Animal Kingdom felt boarded up, and DHS feltike a ghost town once you walked past TSMM. They did a good job of concealing the Hub construction at MK, IMO.

We booked a return trip for October 2015 and we've decided to skip AK and DHS for that trip. Given the age of our daughter and our interests, we won't go back until Pandora is open and DHS until she's into Star Wars for Star Tours or the ToT.

We just got back, and feel the same way. We stayed at the GF, and you could see a lot of the Poly construction as the monorail went by, and from the boats. It was kind of depressing. Animal Kingdom felt boarded up, and DHS feltike a ghost town once you walked past TSMM. They did a good job of concealing the Hub construction at MK, IMO.

We booked a return trip for October 2015 and we've decided to skip AK and DHS for that trip. Given the age of our daughter and our interests, we won't go back until Pandora is open and DHS until she's into Star Wars for Star Tours or the ToT.

???? We just got back from seven day visit, AK was boarded up around main lake due to construction but rest of the park was open clear and everything accessible, same for DHS which was busy, active, everything open and packed day we visited down past Star Tours and at other end near the ToT. We spent a full busy day at both AK and DHS with rides and shows.

???? We just got back from seven day visit, AK was boarded up around main lake due to construction but rest of the park was open clear and everything accessible, same for DHS which was busy, active, everything open and packed day we visited down past Star Tours and at other end near the ToT. We spent a full busy day at both AK and DHS with rides and shows.

We obviously have very different opinions. AK was boarded up in multiple locations, and Pangani Trail was closed at certain points. We have a 3.5 year old- she cannot ride Everest or Dinosaur, it was 62 degrees so KRR was out, and she's a little young for the train ride out to the other part of AK. At DHS we did everything we did back in February- all the Disney Junior stuff, TSMM, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and the Frozen stuff. She misses 40" by 1/4 ". i could go on and on. Which is why in my post I think I wrote- "for our interests", we'll skip these parks next year.

In regards to DHS, I wasn't t referring to crowd levels when I called it a ghost town. I was referring to streets of America and the areas by Oaken's. There just isn't much there right now. IMO. But DHS has alwAys been my least favorite.

In regards to DHS, I wasn't t referring to crowd levels when I called it a ghost town. I was referring to streets of America and the areas by Oaken's. There just isn't much there right now. IMO. But DHS has alwAys been my least favorite.

I would have given dhs a miss entirely this year had it not been for the frozen stuff - but we loved it! But yes, a lot of it seems vacant. The street by toy story seems utterly forsaken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter