Just Back - Mini Trip Report

TexasTSL

Mouseketeer
I am just back from an eight-night stay at Wilderness Lodge! This time it was just myself and DS4. We have a wonderful trip! We really, really enjoyed it!

A little about myself. I really enjoy reading other people's trip reports and viewing their pictures. This is my fifth trip in five consecutive years, and I visited Disney once before that in 1999. I have always been a little "shy" about doing a trip report, but here it goes! I do have pictures, but I'm still not ready for posting those. Maybe next time! This is my attempt to ease myself into a full trip report!

As I said, this trip it was just myself and DS4. We usually go to Disney with DH and sometimes with our older children, DS25 and DD22. Last year we traveled with DH, DS25, DS4 and our niece, too, who was 12 at the time. In 2011 we went during Christmas week. Lesson learned! We most likely won't do that again! I have learned to never say never though! In 2012, 2013 and 2014 we went in November/December usually a week or two after Thanksgiving. In 1999 we went in March. So this was our first late August/early September trip. Turns out I love this time of year! We are used to the heat being from South Texas, and we really enjoyed using the pool. This was the first time we tried the pool.

We have stayed offsite twice, then WL, then POFQ, CBR and this time WL again! We liked each resort, except for CBR, although we may have just had "one of those trips" last year when we went to CBR. It seemed everything went wrong last year at CBR! This year, however, everything seemed to go right almost all of the trip! So it was one of those very magical trips!

Our plane left from South Texas at 5:30 in the morning on Saturday, August 29, so we arrived at the airport at 4:30 a.m. DS was so excited for the plane trip. He stared out the window the whole time in amazement! The plane took off without a hitch and about an hour later we landed in Houston and then on to Orlando after about an hour layover.

We only had time to grab a quick snack from Dunkin Donuts; a grilled cheese sandwich for me, and a chocolate donut for DS4. We took these on the plane with us. DS didn't like his chocolate donut very much and he ended up eating almost all of my grilled cheese! The things we give up for our kids!!

We took a little nap on the plane, and within a couple of hours, before we knew it, we were in Orlando!
As we were exiting the plane, the pilot invited DS into the cockpit and I got to take pictures. This set the tone for the whole trip! Everywhere we went, people seemed to be friendly and inviting! We made a quick restroom stop and then on to ME where the bus to Wilderness Lodge was waiting. We were headed out within 15 minutes. I believe we were the third stop after Grand Floridian and Polynesian.

We arrived at WL where there was no line for online check-in. The CM informed us that our room was ready and she gave us information for the parks and the WL activity schedules for August and September.

Our room was on the fifth floor, a corner room overlooking the beautiful lobby. Last time we were at WL in 2012 we were in one of the wings, which we loved, but I thought this was even better! We found out later that we could see the tops of the fireworks from out balcony every night.

We were hungry and had planned on just hanging out at the pool the first day, but the Magic Kingdom was calling our names, so even though this was not a recommended park day -- I had used Easywdw to make our plans -- we heeded the call and headed out!

We got on the boat about 1:15 as excited as we could be! The first thing we noticed was how uncrowded the park was! I couldn't believe it! Everyone had been on the lookout for Hurricane Erika, so maybe that had something to do with it. People here in Texas were telling me I was crazy to head to Florida on Saturday when there was a chance a hurricane would hit Monday or Tuesday, but we figured it was classified as a Category 1, and we would just chance it and stay barricaded in our room if we had to! We had a whole eight nights, so it would be okay. Turns out, the crowds were super low AND the weather was gorgeous partly due to the threat of the hurricane, I'm sure.

Anyway, we headed down Main Street, and I almost cried, as I always do when we first walk down Main Street at MK. The look on my son's face is just priceless. That's why we keep going back! We stopped at Casey's Corner for lunch. We shared an order of corn dog nuggets and fries, and I had a lemonade and DS had a water. The nuggets were really good and just hit the spot. We were able to ride Haunted Mansion, Prince Charming's Regal Carousel, It's a Small World and Mickey's Philar Magic and really just stop and smell the roses all along the way. We had a 7:00 reservation for Chef Mickey's, so we headed out about 4:30 because I wanted to go back to the room. I had forgotten my backup battery charger for my phone and our autograph book.

As I said, everything seemed to go off without a hitch and we were back in our room by 5:00. Our suitcase had arrived, and I unpacked while DS relaxed and colored with a little mini coloring book and crayons I had gotten him for the plane but ended up not using until now. Then we headed to dinner. We took the boat again and arrived at the Contemporary about 15 minutes early. We were handed a pager and it went off within two minutes.

Now, I had read really bad reviews about Chef Mickey's and we had never tried it before, so I wasn't expecting much of anything. I was really going for the characters for my son. Well, let me tell you, it was not nearly as bad as I had heard. It was very clean, the food was decent -- not stellar or anything, but not bad at all.

My son had mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, corn dog nuggets and green beans and corn. He had a couple of plates. He's a tiny 32-pound boy with a huge appetite! I tried the corn chowder -- pretty good -- the turkey -- good -- the parmesan mashed potatoes -- yum -- and the creamy polenta with short ribs -- very good, in my opinion -- I had two helpings of this! I also tried the vegetables and a few other things that I can't remember. It was all decent food. The desserts were pretty good. There was a wide variety. Some things, of course, were much better than others. My son didn't want dessert. He was full from his two plates of food.

The character interaction was great. We saw all the characters at least once. In fact, the only one we didn't see twice was Mickey. This was a wonderful start to our trip.

We decided just to head back to our room after a long day so that we could hit Hollywood Studios early in the morning for the much-anticipated Jedi Training Academy. It was raining when we left, but by the time we got outside there was just a small drizzle. CMs were outside with towels. We took one for DS and got on the boat, which arrived after about five minutes of waiting. We went straight to bed with dreams of Darth Vader and the Storm Troopers in our heads!

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more. :) I've only been to WDW 2x so far and haven't tried a trip report yet but I really enjoy reading them!

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more. :) I've only been to WDW 2x so far and haven't tried a trip report yet but I really enjoy reading them!
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the comment, being a little nervous to do one!

My DS and I went by ourselves when he was 5, right before he started kindergarten and it was an amazing trip! Sounds like yours was off to a great start, can't wait to read more!

My DS and I went by ourselves when he was 5, right before he started kindergarten and it was an amazing trip! Sounds like yours was off to a great start, can't wait to read more!

Oh, yes, it was amazing! I hesitated to take him by myself, but it turned out to be a really wonderful experience that I wouldn't hesitate to do over again!

Our second day, Sunday, or our first full day, we woke up way early! My son woke up on his own -- he rarely does this. We went downstairs to Roaring Forks for breakfast. They open at 7:00 a.m. We were there about ten minutes early! I guess we were a little over-excited! We walked around outside and just took in the beauty of the Wilderness Lodge. Then we went back in and ordered breakfast.

DS had the kid's strawberrry waffles with the strawberries and whipped cream on the side. He likes to eat them separately, and I had the kid's bananas foster waffles. These are really, really great! I used a little of my son's whipped cream, too. It was sooo good. You get two waffles on the kid's plate with bacon, applesauce and a choice of drink. We bought two refillable mugs, which came to a total of 36.19. Our breakfast came to 11.70. Quite a deal for all of that food! We got two chocolate milks and went back up to the room and dropped off those and the applesauce to the fridge for snacks later. We dropped off our mugs, too.

We went outside and waited for the bus. My son loves the pressed pennies at Disney, so he got one of those from the machine that is outside by the bus stop. I had packed an empty mini M&Ms container with quarters and shiny pennies just for this. The bus came pretty quickly, and we arrived at Hollywood Studios with plenty of time to spare. We browsed at the little shop right outside the studios, and we also bought a water for 2.75 because my son was really thirsty.

The rope was dropped about 15 minutes before the scheduled opening time, and off we rushed to ABC studios to sign up for Jedi Tranining Academy. This was my son's first time to be eligible to do it, so he was super excited. Right after we got in line, the line was closed. So we felt really lucky, although we noticed they did reopen it after 20 minutes or so, so keep that in mind in case you don't make it at first. They ask a few simple questions, like, What is your name? How old are you? Can you follow instructions? just to make sure the kids can do the show. You might prepare for this if your child is shy.

We ended up in line for about 30 minutes, and there was one more spot left for the second show of the day. Our return time was about ten minutes away, so we watched the end of the first Jedi Tranining Academy just to sort of warm DS up, and then we just walked over and DS was given his robe and name tag.

He took it so seriously. The show was great. He had a wonderful time. They asked DS a few simple questions, like, What is your name? How old are you? Can you follow instructions? I was told this is just to make sure the kids can do the show. You might prepare for this if your child is shy. My son absolutely loved JTA. Ever since we've gotten home, he has replayed the experience over and over and over again.

Once we finished JTA, we hopped right over to Star Tours. My son made the height requirement by about half an inch. We weren't sure if this was going to happen or not, so another score for us! As I said before, we seemed to just have a really great trip this time. Everything seemed to go our way. We both loved Star Tours. We looked around in the shop, and then we watched the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. We had a lunch reservation for 11:30 for Mama Melrose. We had the Fantasmic Package. It was just about that time already, so we headed over and had lunch.

DS had the minestrone soup and the spaghetti and meatballs and the spaghetti and meatballs cupcake. I had the mozzerella and tomatoes for my appetizer, the penne alla vodka with chicken for my entree and the dessert sampler that comes with the Fantasmic package. DS liked everything and ate it all. I loved the appetizer, and the penne alla vodka was very good. The only part I didn't care for was the chicken. It was a little dry. Next time I will order it plain. The desserts were nothing memorable, but they weren't bad. I saved my appetite for a carrot cake cookie.

TO BE CONTINUED . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter