Just back - notes, observations, & quick reviews

kittythepoohbear

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I just got back from a 5 night stay at POP (9/14-9/19). It was a great trip overall although there was one bad bus-related incident, which I will get to shortly. Until I get some time this weekend to write some proper reviews, I just wanted to post some things I noticed and experienced:

1- My stay at POP was nice, but I was not as impressed as during my Jan. stay. The resort was obviously very, very crowded and so food court lines were very long and bus lines sometimes got a bit long as well. I usually did not have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus, except during evening EMH at MK on Sunday night. It was so bad it deserves its own little paragraph.

2- At about 10:30pm on Sunday night I decided to make my way to the POP bus stop (gate 18). As I left MK and started walking towards the bus stops, I noticed a huge line that stretched almost to the very last gate. Sure enough, this was the line for the POP buses. Two buses were there when I got to the front of the gate, but those were very quickly filled. Three more buses came soon after but those came and went as the line of people leaving MK grew. About five minutes went by until another bus came. Meanwhile the line was so huge that myself and another POP-goer were debating walking to the CR and getting a cab. What was the worst part of the whole debacle was the lack of CMs. There was no one at the end of the line to let people know that this was indeed the line for POP. Most people walked all the way to the front, then had to turn back to get in line. There was no CM at the front of the line to help keep the line organized and to assist those in wheelchairs. I was standing against the fence, next to a row af about 6 wheelchairs, all containing elderly people. I guess these guests had families already in line and where waiting for their turn. In the 15 - 20 minutes I stood there, I did not see one wheelchair get loaded onto a bus and there were plenty in line.
It is shameful and wrong for a company that prides itself on family entertainment and customer service to have not only a bus line so terribly wrong in the first place, but to then not provide CMs to assist those already in line. It would have been nice to have a CM giving us info on when the next bus was coming or giving us other options to get back to the hotel. In the end, I did end up sharing a cab with the gentleman and his kid. We got to the hotel at 11:35pm and promptly filed a complaint with bus transportation. I plan on writing a letter this weekend as well.

3 - I also noticed a lot less CMs in the parks than in previous visits. Whereas I am used to seeing a couple of CMs in queue lines showing guests to seats, letting them know if a new queue has opened, etc., quite a few times guests just ended up showing themselves to seats/vechicles (esp. on BTMRR and Buzz Lightyear) or having to wonder if the left/right queue was open or not. Perhaps Disney is understaffed or chose to cut back due to the slow season, but it did show.

4 - MNSSHP was a blast! Yes, it rained just as they started the first parade, but it did stop not too long after and we were able to enjoy the rest of the party rain free. The only long lines were encountered were for Photopass Photos which we weren't interested in. Otherwise, we walked onto every ride we went to and barely waited at all for candy. We managed to time BTMRR with the finale of the Hallowishes which meant that we were completely surrounded by fireworks just at that last turn on the ride. It was an amazing experience!!!

5 - Lines where non-existant during the week and usually waits of 20 minutes or so for popular attractions on the weekend. I only used FP once, at that was for a 2nd go at BTMRR. Most things, even SM, were walk-ons most of the time.

6- The weather was HOT and HUMID! My hair has still not recovered. I loved it though since back in PA it is rainy and damp. For anybody going soon, remember the rain gear and for the wavy haired gals, lots of anti-frizz products!

7 - The dining plan did not work as well for me solo as it did for two of us last year. I was usually so full from lunch I couldn't really enjoy my dinner. I was allowed to use one of my CS credits to buy my aunt dinner at Pecos Bill at MNSSHP without a problem however. The meals at Morocco in EPCOT, both CS and TS, where hands down the best for me.

8 - I HATE THE LOVE BUGS.

9 - Guest behavior wasn't too bad. I encountered some line cutters not for an attraction, but for the rope drop to Fantasyland of all things. I was standing against the Cinderella mosaic behind some others waiting to be let into Fantasyland. I wasn't standing THISCLOSE to them, so there was a bit of space but not enough to say "I am just standing here for my health so please feel free to move in front of me." I hear a woman ask the person behind me if there are in line for the Cinderella breakfast and the woman said no, so suddenly this woman, her young daughter, and her family starts trying to get in front of me. What did I think but that they were trying to get to the line for Cindy's breakfast, so I move closer to the mosaic to let them pass. But no, they just stop right in front of me. To make matters even more amusing, a man pushing a huge stroller comes right behind them and stays "I will just follow you through" and nearly runs over my sandaled feet with the stroller. I am now squished against the mosaic with about 7 people in front of me who were two minutes ago behind me. It turns out the man with the stroller was not with the other family, but just decided to push me aside so he could hustle to the left side of Fantastyland. Jeez.

10 - Thanks to LBelle, the DIS party at the POP was lots of fun. Got to meet lots of DISers, talk about the nitty gritty of all things Disney with people who understand, and got to put a couple of names to face. Also met two other DISers thanks to the LGMs on my purse. It pays to DIS!!! :thumbsup2

Ok, back to work now. I will write full reviews shortly. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

kittythepoohbear said:
Hello all! I just got back from a 5 night stay at POP (9/14-9/19). It was a great trip overall although there was one bad bus-related incident, which I will get to shortly. Until I get some time this weekend to write some proper reviews, I just wanted to post some things I noticed and experienced:

1- My stay at POP was nice, but I was not as impressed as during my Jan. stay. The resort was obviously very, very crowded and so food court lines were very long and bus lines sometimes got a bit long as well. I usually did not have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus, except during evening EMH at MK on Sunday night. It was so bad it deserves its own little paragraph.

2- At about 10:30pm on Sunday night I decided to make my way to the POP bus stop (gate 18). As I left MK and started walking towards the bus stops, I noticed a huge line that stretched almost to the very last gate. Sure enough, this was the line for the POP buses. Two buses were there when I got to the front of the gate, but those were very quickly filled. Three more buses came soon after but those came and went as the line of people leaving MK grew. About five minutes went by until another bus came. Meanwhile the line was so huge that myself and another POP-goer were debating walking to the CR and getting a cab. What was the worst part of the whole debacle was the lack of CMs. There was no one at the end of the line to let people know that this was indeed the line for POP. Most people walked all the way to the front, then had to turn back to get in line. There was no CM at the front of the line to help keep the line organized and to assist those in wheelchairs. I was standing against the fence, next to a row af about 6 wheelchairs, all containing elderly people. I guess these guests had families already in line and where waiting for their turn. In the 15 - 20 minutes I stood there, I did not see one wheelchair get loaded onto a bus and there were plenty in line.
It is shameful and wrong for a company that prides itself on family entertainment and customer service to have not only a bus line so terribly wrong in the first place, but to then not provide CMs to assist those already in line. It would have been nice to have a CM giving us info on when the next bus was coming or giving us other options to get back to the hotel. In the end, I did end up sharing a cab with the gentleman and his kid. We got to the hotel at 11:35pm and promptly filed a complaint with bus transportation. I plan on writing a letter this weekend as well.

3 - I also noticed a lot less CMs in the parks than in previous visits. Whereas I am used to seeing a couple of CMs in queue lines showing guests to seats, letting them know if a new queue has opened, etc., quite a few times guests just ended up showing themselves to seats/vechicles (esp. on BTMRR and Buzz Lightyear) or having to wonder if the left/right queue was open or not. Perhaps Disney is understaffed or chose to cut back due to the slow season, but it did show.

4 - MNSSHP was a blast! Yes, it rained just as they started the first parade, but it did stop not too long after and we were able to enjoy the rest of the party rain free. The only long lines were encountered were for Photopass Photos which we weren't interested in. Otherwise, we walked onto every ride we went to and barely waited at all for candy. We managed to time BTMRR with the finale of the Hallowishes which meant that we were completely surrounded by fireworks just at that last turn on the ride. It was an amazing experience!!!

5 - Lines where non-existant during the week and usually waits of 20 minutes or so for popular attractions on the weekend. I only used FP once, at that was for a 2nd go at BTMRR. Most things, even SM, were walk-ons most of the time.

6- The weather was HOT and HUMID! My hair has still not recovered. I loved it though since back in PA it is rainy and damp. For anybody going soon, remember the rain gear and for the wavy haired gals, lots of anti-frizz products!

7 - The dining plan did not work as well for me solo as it did for two of us last year. I was usually so full from lunch I couldn't really enjoy my dinner. I was allowed to use one of my CS credits to buy my aunt dinner at Pecos Bill at MNSSHP without a problem however. The meals at Morocco in EPCOT, both CS and TS, where hands down the best for me.

9 - Guest behavior wasn't too bad. I encountered some line cutters not for an attraction, but for the rope drop to Fantasyland of all things. I was standing against the Cinderella mosaic behind some others waiting to be let into Fantasyland. I wasn't standing THISCLOSE to them, so there was a bit of space but not enough to say "I am just standing here for my health so please feel free to move in front of me." I hear a woman ask the person behind me if there are in line for the Cinderella breakfast and the woman said no, so suddenly this woman, her young daughter, and her family starts trying to get in front of me. What did I think but that they were trying to get to the line for Cindy's breakfast, so I move closer to the mosaic to let them pass. But no, they just stop right in front of me. To make matters even more amusing, a man pushing a huge stroller comes right behind them and stays "I will just follow you through" and nearly runs over my sandaled feet with the stroller. I am now squished against the mosaic with about 7 people in front of me who were two minutes ago behind me. It turns out the man with the stroller was not with the other family, but just decided to push me aside so he could hustle to the left side of Fantastyland. Jeez.

10 - Thanks to LBelle, the DIS party at the POP was lots of fun. Got to meet lots of DISers, talk about the nitty gritty of all things Disney with people who understand, and got to put a couple of names to face. Also met two other DISers thanks to the LGMs on my purse. It pays to DIS!!! :thumbsup2

Ok, back to work now. I will write full reviews shortly. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

It looks like you just arrived at POP as I was leaving on my last day :(
I'm going through serious withdrawls. Thanks for posting this little report. I can relate to most of what you had to say since I was just there. Although, during our stay I didnt have as much of a wait for the buses as you did on that one particular night. I would have been uspet too!

XOXO :goodvibes

kittythepoohbear said:

Awww... we had reserved our nights at POP and were going to attend the pool party on Sept 16, but MIL upgraded us to the Caribbean Beach Resort. I loved the upgrade but am sad I missed the party. :guilty:

Hi Kittythepoohbear, we were at the party Saturday night too. :wave2:
I agree with you about the love bugs, they were very annoying. We were also at MK Sunday night. Fortunately, my DH and his wheelchair were loaded onto a bus pretty quickly so we didn't have a long wait. And next time I will bring my own shampoo and conditioner; the shampoo at the hotel just did not work well with the heat and humidity. I couldn't wait to wash my hair when we got home! :rotfl:
We loved the short lines! We walked on so many rides, and did several of them 2 or 3 times in a row.
We loved the dining plan - it worked really well for our family; I agree it might not be best for someone going solo. We had some really good meals - especially Le Cellier! :thumbsup2

Did anyone that was there last week notice that there was a HUGE difference in the love bug population between Thursday and Friday? They were everywhere all week, and suddenly Friday morning, they were all but gone. I noticed Friday morning a person in a Disney uniform with pest control gear spraying down shrubbery at POP with some kind of chemical. DW and I laughed that they had killed them all overnight.

Thanx for the report. I love when folks take time to do these. Gives me a little taste while I wait my turn to go.

Did you notice the love bugs being worse in one area than another? I imagine AK has them worse than the other parks. Is that the case? We leave early Saturday morning. That gives them two more days to thin out.

kittythepoohbear, welcome back! Glad your trip was full of good moments.

We have experienced the same two issues at Pop you describe. The food court was just not even an option for us because it was so crowded. Also, we too experienced one of those ridiculously long bus queue waits. Ours was after Spectro and Wishes one night. It was so bad that they sent three buses at once, and one bus even crashed into another. Absolutely horrible. The only bad bus service I have had at WDW in all my years there.

Yes, we have had the same bus problems at POP also. We stayed there one time and it was awful. I told DH that we must have picked a bad week. It was so unusual to experience problems like that. So we gave it another try and stayed at POP another time, a few months later. It was the same way! I swore that I would never stay at POP again! The bus situation was awful!

kittythepoohbear,

I agree with your comments! Especially:

3 - I also noticed a lot less CMs in the parks than in previous visits.

10 - Thanks to LBelle, the DIS party at the POP was lots of fun.

I also noticed a lack of CM staffing throughout the parks. My husband was in an ECV due to breaking his ankle 2 days before our trip. We had a difficult time finding someone to see where he needed to go to board rides. Most of the time we just guessed. :confused3

I HATE those darn bugs too. ICK!!! Soooo gross!! All over the place and all over us! You would think that they would be prepared for those and spray like the other post stated...before they get so bad each year. :sad2

We get up early when at WDW...usually we were at the Pop foodcourt by 7am. At that time the crowds were minimal. But, if we waited until 7:45 or so...OMG! It was a NIGHTMARE. I also got conflicting information regarding snacks that were/were not included. It seemed each CM had different rules and it was quite annoying. Did anyone else have this problem?

We enjoyed some extra pixie dust on our first day at MGM! We were picked to be the first family because of the tie-dye t-shirts I had made for our family. Too Cool!! :cool1: We got to open the park. We also got to ride in the little car all the way to our choice of first rides the Rockn Rollercoaster no less. We got to ride it first all by ourselves. How awesome is that??? The CMs that chose us were so nice. My 6 year old daughter asked them if they would like to ride with us and they looked at each other and said that was the first time they had ever been invited to ride with the First Family of the day. They rode with us and we all had a blast. One of them had never ridden the coaster and loved it. :woohoo:

We were given a nice certificate stating that we were MGM's First Family that day and an 8x10 photo of our ride on the coaster. How cool is that??? My kids felt like stars all day! :thumbsup2

The POP party was great. I enjoyed meeting everyone. :cool1:

Hated to have to leave Monday the 18th!! :guilty: I am having withdrawals already! Spoiled from all of the food! :woohoo:

Just back last night, after arriving the 16th.

Can't answer for buses, since we rented a car and drove it....the freedom of that really was/is nice. I'll never do a bus again, if I don't have to. My older boys did use the buses, but didn't mention it, so I'm assuming all went smooth with them.

Lovebugs.....in previous years, I really only noticed them at AK. After arriving to Pop, I realized that was the worst I ever saw them. I have never seen so many gather in one spot.

Agree most lines were basic walk on's. Except when we went back yesterday to MK, to catch a few rides we missed on Tuesday. My party decided we will never hit MK on a Saturday unless we just have to. It wasn't bad, but not nearly as empty as on Tuesday.

I missed the meet, but did see a couple of folks with lime green luggage. (Saturday the 16th-walking by the main pool). Man pulling lime green rolling suitcase, lady with same color lime green purse.

We didn't notice the lack of CM's.

Even though the lines at POP looked long, we never waited more than 7-10 minutes to get through, which I guess only seemed long-holding a tray. Snack options seemed pretty clearly marked for the most part. I think I only had to ask about a couple of things.

Really hated coming home!! :guilty:

If the guests in wheelchairs were waiting for family members to get on the bus then they'll never be allowed on - wheelchairs and ECVs have to be loaded on first. They are supposed to wait next to the HP sign, and the bus driver is supposed to get open up the back door only, let down the ramp, load two wheelchairs/ECVs and their families, and then open the front doors. If the wheelchair users are not front and center, then the bus driver will have no way to know if there are any there.

hi... anyone who just recently came back have any thoughts on how the crowd may be at start of food and wine festival week? just curious :thumbsup2

TLHB70 said:
Yes, we have had the same bus problems at POP also. We stayed there one time and it was awful. I told DH that we must have picked a bad week. It was so unusual to experience problems like that. So we gave it another try and stayed at POP another time, a few months later. It was the same way! I swore that I would never stay at POP again! The bus situation was awful!

We stayed at POP in Dec 2005. The buses were pretty bad then, too. Maybe not as bad as the OP stated, but almost as bad. We just got back last night from our first CR stay. Wow! What a difference staying at a monorail resort makes. It was such a breeze rolling the stroller onto the monorail without having to take out the baby, diaper bag, etc. There were several times we had to stand on the monorail, and it wasn't an issue like it is having to stand on a bus. We had to take a bus to AK and MGM, and it was such a let down after taking the monorail for a couple of days. We said it would be worth it to rent a car and drive to AK and MGM instead of taking the buses.

Mary

The OP here - I am finally finding some time to put up my dining reviews. You can find those on the Dining Review board under Solo Vegetarian free dining plan reviews (or something like that!).

Themooch - Was it you I was having a great conversation with at the POP party? You seem familiar from you picture and I remember the tie-dye shirts. I was drinking the lime green sour apple drink with my hair in pigtails. If it is you, hi!!! :wave:

RIDisneyfan - I definitely remember meeting you and your family. Nice to see you on the boards! :wave2: I am glad your husband didn't have trouble getting on the buses. I can imagine what a nightmare some of those poor people had to go through that night.

Schmeck - That is what really ticked me off about that whole situation with the lack of CMs that night. There was no organization in general and especially for wheelchairs/ECV. Those needing assistance should have been directed to a queue by the HP area instead of waiting by the fence or on the mile long line. It broke my heart to see those elderly guests sitting there waiting.

TLHB70 - I didn't get to go to AK this trip :sad2: so I don't know how the love bug situation was there, but it was absolutely horrific at POP. They were also pretty bad at Epcot. I am very Steve Irwin-ish about earth's creatures, even insects, but these &%!!#& bugs have to go!

Princess Jasmine27 - I am not sure how big the crowds will get. I am sure they will still be rather light just since it is still off-season. Have fun at the Festival!

Love bugs are usually attracted to auto & bus emmissions. I'm not sure why they would be more numerous around the Magic Kingdom, unless it's because of the large number of cars at the TTC. In any case, they should be thinning out soon.

Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter