Just back - room check info

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a mixture. One trip we slept in late and were in the room till 10:00 or later. This last trip we were up and out early. It was also different resorts both trips.
We never request cleaning at specific times either, just leave it to when our room fits in the cleaning schedule. I've never had our room missed once in all our nights on property.

We don't do any housekeeping requests either- I just want to be able to have privacy until we leave and not be nervous that we have to be out of our room by 8am. We have, had our room skipped by housekeeping many times- no biggie in the past, but now not so sure. We like housekeeping- I'm on vacation!!

We are at the poly at Tokelau from Thursday March 22nd to now. First day I asked for a room occupied sign from maid service (non in room). We removed it when we were not there. Housekeeping never bothered us. Our trash was emptied everyday while we were gone. For us, no bad experiences.

Room checks are the norm at lots of fandom conventions - fire code states you can't have more than 4 people (depending on the room size) to a room, but teenagers like to pack as many people as possible in to keep the cost down. Even if you refuse housekeeping/keep your Do Not Disturb sign up, they will still come in and check on the room. If they see evidence that lots of people are staying there, they report you and you could get kicked out.

I wonder if Disney has enacted this policy for similar reasons? It seems pretty tough to "sneak" extra people into a Disney hotel room, though...

Universal resorts still have do not disturb signs and honor your privacy- we were just at the Hard Rock hotel last month.
Good to know, thanks.

I don't even carry a bag so I don't even get a check when I enter the park. I don't think my room will be tossed at any moment.

Your room CAN be tossed at any moment. Just because you're naive enough not to think so doesn't mean it isn't true. And you've never done through a metal detector at the baggless line? Never? please.

All this security theatre is pointless. It doesn't increase safety one iota, and interferes with the guest's privacy and dignity.

You really think the only two places in the world to travel are Universal Studios and WDW?
Wow, PP was simply trying to be nice and letting you know Universal was still doing what you claim you want to see Disney do. There was no reason to be rude

Your room CAN be tossed at any moment. Just because you're naive enough not to think so doesn't mean it isn't true. And you've never done through a metal detector at the baggless line? Never? please.

All this security theatre is pointless. It doesn't increase safety one iota, and interferes with the guest's privacy and dignity.
I do not believe I said I never went through a metal detector. Seems you are becoming quite the expert at putting words in others mouths. Along with making it clear you have an intense dislike for all things Disney at this time. A break is clearly going to be good for you. You have taken this way too seriously, you are getting more and more worked up over it. If you bothered to get off the high horse you have ridden in on you'd see that most here agree this is pointless security. But no one's dignity is suffering. Please.

Actually, it's not ludicrous. They aren't supposed to rent you a room and give you absolutely no privacy or peace and quiet. It's not a security measure where they are trying to surprise guests. I was told by multiple CMs when calling to ask questions about the new policy that it's "eyes on the room once every 24 hours." I was told they will honor the Room Occupied sign and that I should request cleaning times and they will be respected. From the boards it's easy to see this happens sometimes and not others. I was told to contact management if the policy was disruptive or disturbing.

Though I see what you mean, @DVCDAD, from your previous posts. How effective is this policy and what is it really accomplishing? I'm not sure either. Either way, I can handle the once a day visits as usual. I just hope we are allowed some peace and privacy on our vacation;)

Just back from a trip last week. I had privacy the whole time as did my parents who were in a room next door. MyDH even asked for just towels one day as my DS was sick, throwing up in the room. No one came back for a security check. We were in our room most afternoons for a break.

For those of you that said a landlord couldn’t enter a rental house at any time, that is not true, at least in my state. Looking at my lease and state law, a landlord can enter at any time during reasonable hours for purposes of examining the property. If it’s an emergency the landlord can enter at any time, night or day.

I do not believe I said I never went through a metal detector. Seems you are becoming quite the expert at putting words in others mouths. Along with making it clear you have an intense dislike for all things Disney at this time. A break is clearly going to be good for you. You have taken this way too seriously, you are getting more and more worked up over it. If you bothered to get off the high horse you have ridden in on you'd see that most here agree this is pointless security. But no one's dignity is suffering. Please.

Putting words in YOUR mouth? Where? I quoted you directly.

I do not have an intense dislike for all things Disney. I have a dislike for unnecessary security theatre which ruins vacations. As an adult, you should be able to swim in a pool without lifeguard supervision. You should not be subject to two or three searches just to go from your hotel room to a theme park. There's the suffering of your dignity. everyone being treated as a potential mass killer, just because of one extremely rare event. Where does it end? How much will the average guest put up with?

I'm not on any high horse, I just refuse to pay top dollar to people who treat me like a criminal.

I do not have an intense dislike for all things Disney. I have a dislike for unnecessary security theatre which ruins vacations. As an adult, you should be able to swim in a pool without lifeguard supervision. You should not be subject to two or three searches just to go from your hotel room to a theme park. There's the suffering of your dignity. everyone being treated as a potential mass killer, just because of one extremely rare event. Where does it end? How much will the average guest put up with?

I'm not on any high horse, I just refuse to pay top dollar to people who treat me like a criminal.

How rare is it, when we are seeing reports of school shootings or acts of terror every month, if not every other week?

Those who would give up Liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Ben Franklin
While I don't think this policy is necessarily a huge deal, I have to say that we are little by little giving up the freedoms that this country is supposed to afford us, in the name of "safety".
We are slowly turning into a nanny state it seems.

And that would all be great--in a country that wasn't sue happy. Unfortunately the US is sue happy, and if someone else drowns after it has happened before, you can bet Disney would be sued. Just like all the gator blocking fencing and rocks that were put up. Once is an accident, twice would be called a pattern and Disney would have to pay big time.

You can't count on people to use common sense, so Disney has to try and protect guests from themselves. You can also bet if they didn't have at least the front of room checks and someone opened fire and had a stash in their room (as unlikely as that may be) Disney would be sued up one side and down the other.

And that would all be great--in a country that wasn't sue happy. Unfortunately the US is sue happy, and if someone else drowns after it has happened before, you can bet Disney would be sued. Just like all the gator blocking fencing and rocks that were put up. Once is an accident, twice would be called a pattern and Disney would have to pay big time.

You can't count on people to use common sense, so Disney has to try and protect guests from themselves. You can also bet if they didn't have at least the front of room checks and someone opened fire and had a stash in their room (as unlikely as that may be) Disney would be sued up one side and down the other.

And you don't think they'd still get sued?

How rare is it, when we are seeing reports of school shootings or acts of terror every month, if not every other week?
EXTREMELY rare.
People in general over react to extremely rare but catastrophic events, but under react to every day events which are much more likely to cause harm. The key is, in any security prevention, is to give the appropriate amount of attention. Wearing seat belts, smoke detectors, sprinkler systems etc. are all examples of appropriate preventative measures that would actually minimize serious but rare events. These actions are both over the top and ineffective.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/08/overreaction_an.html

Those who would give up Liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Ben Franklin
While I don't think this policy is necessarily a huge deal, I have to say that we are little by little giving up the freedoms that this country is supposed to afford us, in the name of "safety".
We are slowly turning into a nanny state it seems.

I don't think a theme park complex's rules affect my liberty. I'm certainly free to not go to that theme park if I so choose.

Let's get back on topic, please. Rants and arguments and privacy debates are, to put it bluntly, not useful or interesting to people who are planning trips and who need information on frequently changing policies. Especially when we've already had thousands of posts with the same rants and arguments, over and over again. Whatever complaint you're about to post, trust me: it's already been posted by several dozen people, if not several hundred.

The room check policy has been in place for a couple of months now. There's been plenty of time for everyone to get their concerns off their chest. Let's refocus the discussion to posting what we know about the policy, and answering questions about how things work for people who are planning trips.

If you do want to complain about the policy, it's far more productive to send it here: WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com

Thanks.

The sign simply is this
00r.jpg

Just lets the housekeepers know someone is in the room, in theory. Nothing more. Doesn't mean, don't come in. Even says this at the bottom
drsy0q2u8aaqxn8.jpg
upload_2018-3-28_21-9-12.pngI find this humorous. Did they name this copyright version Do Not Disturb(DND)? Or does that stand for something else??:magnify:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter