• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - some notes

Pills

DIS Veteran
Well, not JUST back, as we left on Wednesday, but some things worth mentioning. We stayed at Coronado from 8/18 (really, 8/19 at 2 AM) until 8/26, building 6B. Trying to go in order of the days.

1) I got the room assignment around 10 AM on the 18th, and they didn't honor either request (I know they're just that - requests). What got me is that when I tried to call to see if I could possibly change the room, I was told that I could only go to the front desk. Of course, I knew we weren't going to get there until late, so that kind of put a damper on the beginning of the vacation. We were eventually offered a preferred room, but it wasn't near a bus, either, and further from the pool, so we didn't take it.

8/19

2) 7DMT is about as intense as BTMM, so not bad at all. Love the video on Memory Maker.

3) BOG waiter said they had the best steak on property. Sorry, our visit to Le Cellier later proved that incorrect.

8/20

4) Everest went down right before our FP+ window. We actually sat down for a while in the area where you come out, as it was nice and cool. The funniest part was when they were testing, and the empty ride pictures would come up. My daughter grabbed one on her magicband. It did come back up in the middle of our window, so it wasn't a loss.

5) You know how you move up a dining reservation so you could have some pool time at night? Yeah, well, the heavens opened up last Thursday when we were waiting for our bus back to CSR. It didn't stop for a long time.

6) We did the Target gift card/pay down your debt thing. The first time we tried, at the concierge desk in the lobby, the woman gruffly told my wife that she couldn't do it. Not even 5 minutes later, someone else came to that same desk and did it. This was our ONE bad encounter with a CM. Everyone else was great.

8/21

7) Captain EO is worth seeing once. I really liked the opening video where they show some of the production. My kids now have a greater understanding of the 80s.

8) This is the first time I really noticed how bad the Soarin' film was getting.

9) Hacienda wasn't nearly as good as prior times we'd eaten there. Don't know why. Neither my wife nor I felt all that great after that meal.

8/22

10) I was the rebel spy. The people behind me were *really* happy about it.

11) ToT - not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Went on with a bunch of CPers that were starting that Monday. They tried (and failed) to get the bellhop to break - he was great.

12) 50's Prime Time was fun, and good, and just the meal we needed. Definitely recommend.

8/23

13) SotMK is connected to magicbands, though it wasn't last time we went (11/13). Luckily, we had just started the medium level, so that's where they put us.

14) FP+ for the parade isn't worth it when the heat index is 104. FP+ for Wishes was *completely* worth it. We sat in that area during Wishes. Yes, sat. Barefoot.

15) Went to Trader Sam's, couldn't get a table inside, so we got our drinks outside. Got buzzed in and was told kids couldn't sit at the bar. They had seen the kids when we came in... Anyway, we had to get back because we had a 7DMT FP+.

16) 7DMT was down during our FP+ time (sensing a trend?). We would have stayed longer at Trader Sam's, but did Peter Pan, and then 7DMT was back.

(continued next post)

8/24

17) We had a BOG lunch ressie at 10:40. The MK bus was coming to our stop as we approached it... and then we were told the stop was closed by a construction worker. THIS got me, and I wrote to them about it. If we'd been told the stop would be down during our time, I may have taken that room switch. This was not emergency road work. We were already far from everything, and now we have to go further for the bus stop? Luckily, another MK bus came and we were only 10 minutes late to the reservation, but this is one thing that really took away the vacation mood.

18) We hopped to EP, and had a TT FP+... and it went down during our time! This time, though, was due to weather, and we were happy to sit in the line for an hour enjoying the A/C. That day had started off with some oppressive heat, so that really rejuvenated us.

19) We did Candy Around the World. Morocco only has Turkish Delight with nuts. We haven't tried it yet.

8/25

20) Seriously, we do Star Tours 4 times, and get the same ending all 4 times!

21) The Frozen singalong was cute. "Let it Go" being dedicated to all the dads made me laugh. Is it just me, or do they have a hard time making Elsa look like Elsa?

22) Toy Story was... down during our FP+ time! I spoke to a CM about it. He told me that if it was software, it would take ~1/2 hour. He then said "IF it comes back up today...", so it was mechanical. We were leaving HS, so we didn't get to go on.

23) Boardwalk area is dead around 3 PM.

24) I didn't know they'd moved the Patisserie, but I'm glad they did, as it was always crowded. Still needs more seating, but I love eating there.

8/26

25) They moved Aloha Isle... and I can no longer get vanilla ice cream in pineapple juice!? The nerve! I settled for a Mickey Bar.

26) Our flight was at 8:25. EVERY flight before 8:00 was delayed 3 hours. Not only did we take off on time, we arrived way early.

That's it! I don't know if we're going back before a lot of the new construction is done, but we do have a cruise in April!

8/26

25) They moved Aloha Isle... and I can no longer get vanilla ice cream in pineapple juice!? The nerve! I settled for a Mickey Bar.

WHERE DID THEY MOVE ALOHA ISLE??? Gotta have my Dole Whip!

WHERE DID THEY MOVE ALOHA ISLE??? Gotta have my Dole Whip!
My understanding is that it's been moved next to Tiki Room...where Sunshine Tree Terrrace is..not sure about name changes or anything. They wanted more space for the lines I guess.

Yes, they switched Aloha Isle and Sunshine Terrace, but not everything changed. All of the pineapple stuff is at (the new) Aloha Isle.

8/24

17) We had a BOG lunch ressie at 10:40. The MK bus was coming to our stop as we approached it... and then we were told the stop was closed by a construction worker. THIS got me, and I wrote to them about it. If we'd been told the stop would be down during our time, I may have taken that room switch. This was not emergency road work. We were already far from everything, and now we have to go further for the bus stop? Luckily, another MK bus came and we were only 10 minutes late to the reservation, but this is one thing that really took away the vacation mood.

18) We hopped to EP, and had a TT FP+... and it went down during our time! This time, though, was due to weather, and we were happy to sit in the line for an hour enjoying the A/C. That day had started off with some oppressive heat, so that really rejuvenated us.

19) We did Candy Around the World. Morocco only has Turkish Delight with nuts. We haven't tried it yet.

8/25

20) Seriously, we do Star Tours 4 times, and get the same ending all 4 times!

21) The Frozen singalong was cute. "Let it Go" being dedicated to all the dads made me laugh. Is it just me, or do they have a hard time making Elsa look like Elsa?

22) Toy Story was... down during our FP+ time! I spoke to a CM about it. He told me that if it was software, it would take ~1/2 hour. He then said "IF it comes back up today...", so it was mechanical. We were leaving HS, so we didn't get to go on.

23) Boardwalk area is dead around 3 PM.

24) I didn't know they'd moved the Patisserie, but I'm glad they did, as it was always crowded. Still needs more seating, but I love eating there.

8/26

26) Our flight was at 8:25. EVERY flight before 8:00 was delayed 3 hours. Not only did we take off on time, we arrived way early.

That's it! I don't know if we're going back before a lot of the new construction is done, but we do have a cruise in April!
Thanks for posting. Why couldn't you get the ice cream with pineapple juice? Did they discontinue it?

Sounds like a mixed bag, but mostly good! Thanks so much for your comments; in between trips, it's other peoples' experiences that get me through the daily grind!

7) Captain EO is worth seeing once. I really liked the opening video where they show some of the production. My kids now have a greater understanding of the 80s.

8) This is the first time I really noticed how bad the Soarin' film was getting.

7) You know, as long as they're going to HAVE Captain EO there (and it's been back for what? Four, five years now?) I do wish they'd open their wallets a tiny bit and put back in some of the in-theater effects like the smoke and lasers that made it such a spectacular show back in the day. I still have fun seeing it, but it would be great if the new generation could see it in *just a bit more* of its former glory. Cheapskates.

8) They're shooting the new film now! I think it's supposed to be ready sometime in 2016!

15) Went to Trader Sam's, couldn't get a table inside, so we got our drinks outside. Got buzzed in and was told kids couldn't sit at the bar. They had seen the kids when we came in... Anyway, we had to get back because we had a 7DMT FP+.

they don't let kids in bars usually. They have to sit at a table to the outside patio area. Maybe that's why you ere seated outside.

Thanks for posting. Why couldn't you get the ice cream with pineapple juice? Did they discontinue it?
I think the PP mentioned couldn't get vanilla ice cream with pineapple juice ....
Because Aloha Aisle only serves the pineapple "ice cream" plain or with juice.

More detailed review of the Sunshine Tree Terrace/Aloha Isle swap here.

Basic reasons for the venue/menu changes:
  • The actual tree in the old Sunshine Tree Terrace is gone, and the pavilion which contained it and the Enchanted Tiki Room is no longer officially called the Sunshine Pavilion
  • Aloha Isle's signature Dole Whip is more popular than Sunshine Tree Terrace's signature Citrus Swirl (possibly due to the latter's being gone from the parks for years), resulting in longer lines at AH than at SST
  • There is more space for queues at the old SST building than at the old AH building
  • WDW is, in general, moving toward smaller menus to reduce labor and supply costs and speed up ordering
  • Removing menu items at the same time as moving the locations was more convenient for new signage, and it was likely that people not too familiar with the old menus might not notice in the shuffle

they don't let kids in bars usually. They have to sit at a table to the outside patio area. Maybe that's why you ere seated outside.
No - they told us they'd buzz us for seating. Kids aren't kicked out of there until 8 - that's when they're forced outside. We voluntarily went outside so we could have the drinks, even without the indoor atmosphere.

They saw the kids when we came in initially, and didn't question it at all.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the bar seating was the ONLY seating available.

Last edited:
Also, my wife just told me (since she dealt with the unhelpful CM) I got the conversation wrong. Remember, we were in the lobby, and there is the registration desk and the concierge desk. What she was told was -
"You can do it here or there, but you should wait in line to do it there."

Again, another person came to the concierge desk and wrapped it up in a few minutes, but that was just odd when the lines weren't that long at all.

Yeesh - I forgot a highlight!

On Sunday, we were playing some SotMK among other things. My wife was using a parasol, and got some compliments on it from the CMs - for instance, we were stopped in the hub and asked about it by a CM that was sweeping. That was the day we had FP+ for the parade. As Ariel was going by, she made her hands out to be a looking glass, looked like she was impressed, and started pointing to my wife's parasol. I don't know if that was really breaking character, but it was surprising (and really funny) to see.

Thanks for the update.

We were there in late May staying at POFQ. We received our room assignment a couple of hours before we were going to be there. All we asked for was a certain building. I called the POFQ "front desk" number and asked about a change. We ended up getting that building.

I'm not a big fan of Coronado springs because of how big and spread out it is. I'll never return But it is a beautiful resort just not worth it to me.

Sounds like you had bad luck with your FP+s. Did they ever give you another in return or options to go somewhere else?

No - they told us they'd buzz us for seating. Kids aren't kicked out of there until 8 - that's when they're forced outside. We voluntarily went outside so we could have the drinks, even without the indoor atmosphere.

This happened to us as well, fortunately, a very nice couple at a table got up and sat at the bar to make room for us to sit with our girls at a table next to the bar!

I'm not a big fan of Coronado springs because of how big and spread out it is. I'll never return But it is a beautiful resort just not worth it to me.

Sounds like you had bad luck with your FP+s. Did they ever give you another in return or options to go somewhere else?

Once the ride goes down in your FP+ time, they extend your FP+ for the rest of the day. You also have the option of replacing it with another. So, given that our TSMM FP+ wasn't going to be used, we could have gone on RnRC or ToT if we had wanted. We decided to wait it out a bit, and then just left, as we had planned on going to the Boardwalk area and then EP.

That's Disney rules. Trying to keep the magic for the little ones.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter