Just back...some random musings

deedubb

Always Grumpy, except when at Disney!
We had a 2 week trip with plans to do 12 park days. The UK tickets are an absolute bargain, especially if you normally purchase Memory Maker and plan to do a water park.

COVID is very much alive and kicking. We all caught it near the end of the trip. It really kicked the snot out of us. Fever, chills, achy, cough. Felt like the flu. All we could do was lie in bed at the resort. First time ever that I was happy to leave Disney. We went to Disneyland last year in July, then WDW last year in Aug and nobody caught COVID so I was quite surprised we caught it this year.

Don't always trust wait times, especially during extended evening hours. We had many rides that were walk-ons but had a posted wait time. A number of other rides were about half of the posted wait times. Test track 15 mins, Soarin essentially walk-on, 7DMT 15 mins, Pooh walk-on, Peter Pan 4 mins (yes, 4 mins).

I used the TextNow app for texting and phone calls. It's a free app but has ads which you can eliminate by paying a monthly fee. You can choose a Canadian phone number or a US one. I chose a US one so I could receive texts from Disney when my room was ready, dining reservations ready etc. You can lock in the number for about $8/year. Otherwise, you lose the number every couple of weeks or so if you don't make a call or text with it. I added an Airalo plan for data.

Mears was really good. On the way to the resort, our wait time was really short. We had an early pick up at 6:35 am and they were there at 6:30. The only drawback was that our flight wasn't until 11:05 and there was nobody at the Westjet counter when we arrived.

For those who haven't gone lately, mobile ordering for quick service is essentially everywhere. It boggles my mind why some people still wait in line to order. Use Mobile ordering!

2 of our party could not attend the MK Dessert party due to illness. Although there is a 7-day cancellation policy, they refunded their tickets. It never hurts to ask if you're in this situation.

Cast members on this trip were so amazing. If a CM does something special, make sure you give them a Cast Compliment on the MDE app.

Trail's End is a hidden gem. This is the first time we have been back since they changed from buffet to quick service. 8-piece fried chicken meal with corn bread and 2 sides for $27. Feeds 4. Chicken pieces are large, juicy and delicious. Make sure you add the strawberry shortcake. Same food that is served at Hoop-Dee-Doo. Take the boat from MK to Fort Wilderness.

Welcome Home !
Well you made it and combated the dreaded Covid Virus. I am glad you were able to get some Holiday in before getting sick with it.
I hope you and your family have a good recovery.
Best wishes
Hugs
Mel

I am glad you had a good experince with Mobile ordering. We found that we actually waited longer in comparison to when we walked up.
Whenever we can, we order and click the "I'm here, prepare my order" button before we have even arrived at the restaurant. Twice I had trouble with the app and could not complete my mobile order. It was definitely a much longer wait for us in that situation. I still generally see somewhat long lines for ordering despite the presence of mobile ordering.

You make family #6 that I've heard of returning from Disney with the same nasty souvenir, one poor family managed to get stuck in their room on day 4 of a 10 day trip. Our daughter & her girlfriend are both very ill at the moment but luckily, both of the 11yr twins are still testing negative. They figure they caught it on the plane on the way home that was full of coughing & sneezing people.

You make family #6 that I've heard of returning from Disney with the same nasty souvenir, one poor family managed to get stuck in their room on day 4 of a 10 day trip. Our daughter & her girlfriend are both very ill at the moment but luckily, both of the 11yr twins are still testing negative. They figure they caught it on the plane on the way home that was full of coughing & sneezing people.
COVID is definitely on the rise, here in Canada as well. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks as kids return to school. I don't think it will be good.

There were lots of people coughing on the plane on our way back home. At least we got it at the end of the trip. It would suck spending half your trip stuck in the hotel room.

Wishing your daughter and her girlfriend a speedy recovery. We finally all tested negative here on day #9-10.

For those who haven't gone lately, mobile ordering for quick service is essentially everywhere. It boggles my mind why some people still wait in line to order. Use Mobile ordering!

Not everyone is a planner, and it's not always convenient to step aside in the parks and to work on and send a mobile order before heading over to the quick service restaurant. If you haven't mobile ordered by the time you arrive, I've found it makes little sense to spend the time to mobile order. The walk-up lines are not that long despite what the cast members say -- i.e. have been told to tell you. My experience is the mobile ordering people get their food marginally faster than I do, so factoring in the time spent to mobile order, it's a wash.

We drove home after 7 days in the parks and started coughing on the way. Sure enough, tested as soon as we walked in the door and it was positive. That was two days ago.

My co-worker went to WDW in July and also came home with covid. Seems like it’s pretty rampant in the parks.

Not everyone is a planner, and it's not always convenient to step aside in the parks and to work on and send a mobile order before heading over to the quick service restaurant. If you haven't mobile ordered by the time you arrive, I've found it makes little sense to spend the time to mobile order. The walk-up lines are not that long despite what the cast members say -- i.e. have been told to tell you. My experience is the mobile ordering people get their food marginally faster than I do, so factoring in the time spent to mobile order, it's a wash.
Fair enough. For us, there is no advance planning. When we get hungry, we decide where we want to eat (which is almost never in the location we are currently at), and as we walk over, we mobile order on the way. Easy peasy.

We drove home after 7 days in the parks and started coughing on the way. Sure enough, tested as soon as we walked in the door and it was positive. That was two days ago.

My co-worker went to WDW in July and also came home with covid. Seems like it’s pretty rampant in the parks.
Certainly does. At least you got it on the way home and not on the way there. It would suck to spend so much money only to spend it sitting in a hotel room. I think it will be back to masking/sanitizing for our trip next year.

COVID is definitely on the rise, here in Canada as well. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks as kids return to school. I don't think it will be good.

There were lots of people coughing on the plane on our way back home. At least we got it at the end of the trip. It would suck spending half your trip stuck in the hotel room.
As wrong as this sounds….

Schools are wondering petri dishes, everyone will get this year stain, and hopefully this years vaccine first, and once it has ran its course, we will all be protected for another winter…

that whole heard immunity requires the heard to have it before it protects us…

If you could mobile order and pay for it as a room charge. I'd do it. But since you cannot. I will wait patiently in line. Also I make many a substitution. Need to talk to a lovely cast member in order to do that.

If you could mobile order and pay for it as a room charge. I'd do it. But since you cannot. I will wait patiently in line. Also I make many a substitution. Need to talk to a lovely cast member in order to do that.
If you have a credit card linked to your account, it is charged to that. As well, you can make choices on the app about what is included/not. It has gotten so much better!

If you have a credit card linked to your account, it is charged to that. As well, you can make choices on the app about what is included/not. It has gotten so much better!

I use cash. I room charge and pay the folio with cash at the front desk. I don't want every little purchase going onto my CC with the exchange and fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter