Just back..some thoughts and THANKS!!!

newestkg06

DIS Veteran
I wanted to say a HUGE thank you to Schumigirl and Macraven for all of their work on these boards. You both helped to make our trip truly magical! I don't think we would have had nearly as great of a time without your sage advice!
We stayed at Royal Pacific Aug 22-24, went to US for a half day on 22, IoA on 23, and finished up US on 24. Crowds were relatively light and we had a great time. It was hot, but not unbearable. We're from Minnesota, so that should tell you that we're not used to FL heat! However, I think going at the end of August when we are pretty hot and humid was much better than going in Sept when we are coming from cooler temps. It wasn't such a shock and made dealing with the heat easier. Late August is a great time to go!!

First, Express pass was worth it's weight in gold. My husband was so thankful for it (and so were DS 7 and DS 10)! We would not come back without it. Even though it was a relatively slow time, the rain often pushed up wait times. We had some issues with down rides that express pass made so much easier later on. It also made touring and planning that much more relaxing. We just went on whatever was nearby that we wanted, no park crisscrossing because of wait times, and the kids got to re-ride whatever they wanted multiple times. We wouldn't go back without it.

Second, Diagon Alley and Hog's Mead were out of this world. I had two huge HP fans with me, and they were blown away. My 10yo has become a daredevil, so he had a blast on every thrill ride. Hulk, Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket, and Gringott's were his favorites. My 7yo rode everything he was tall enough for (48"). Mummy scared him a lot the first time, but after riding Gringott's (his favorite) three times, he decided to try again and loved it. Minions was super fun as well. Simpson's was only okay, Transformers was okay, but Spiderman was another HUGE hit. What a fun ride that is! Kong and Fast and Furious were both okay, not huge hits, but were more fun than I was expecting from the reviews. However, we didn't have much of a wait for either, so I can understand not thinking they were worth a long wait. I tried to convince them to do a few shows, but they thought that sounded "boring", so we didn't do the makeup show or Animal actors show like I had wanted. We were also way too tired to stay up for the Cinematic Spectacular like I wanted to. Oh well, we'll have to go back! :)

Third, Royal Pacific was beautiful. We had a great stay there. We requested a low floor in Tower 1, and we got it. The pool was really fun and we swam every night. The only thing it needs is a quick service for breakfast and dinner. I know Citywalk is close, but after touring all day, or on the way in, I really missed being able to grab and go something quick and relatively cheap at the resort. Having the option to walk to the parks instead of boat was also nice. The boats were convenient and quick, so not complaints there either. However, they do not run when lightning is in the area, which happened a few times for us. They run a bus instead, but we just walked.

Motion Sickness: three of us are prone to it, so we took Bonine and dramamine every day. That kept it away for nearly every ride, except for Forbidden Journey for me. FJ was down at rope drop, so we came back right after eating. That was the mistake I think. It's too bad because I think that was an incredibly innovative ride, but I really couldn't enjoy it as I was feeling so sick. Luckily, it went away quickly, and we enjoyed the rest of the day. I wish I had ridden it on an empty stomach and could have enjoyed it more.

Food: We ate at Three Broomsticks (wonderful!!!), Leaky Cauldron (delicious!), Simpson's (just okay food in a crazy chaotic madhouse, wouldn't recommend), and Burger place in Jurassic Park (my husband said the burger was worse than a HS cafeteria). Ice cream at Florean Fortescue was awesome (especially salted caramel blondie!). I don't know if we just timed it well, but we had no issues eating in WWoHP for dinner either day, and had the best meals there (fish and chips and chicken sandwich or roasted chicken). So I would say that the food outside of HP was not as good. We were going to try some restaurants at Citywalk, but didn't have time. Some of them looked really great!

We had a great trip and it only made us excited to come back in a few years when there are some new rides and the 7yo will be tall enough to ride everything. We also want to try some more of the restaurants next time.

I'm happy to answer any questions about going with two younger boys or our touring plan.

Last edited:
I am so happy to hear that!!!

And thank you for the shout out...….I`m sure macraven will be happy too to read this.

Sounds like your trip was a massive success......and you managed to do a lot on your days there. And how fabulous your kids enjoyed some of the rides that they weren't sure about...….becoming a daredevil is fabulous!!!!

So glad you enjoyed RP and EP!!! Both are priceless...…..the hotel is so beautiful, and EP even on quieter times it`s worth it to have...…

But thank you for coming back and letting us know what a fabulous time you had there......and I`m sure your next trip won`t be too far away...….:wave2:

I wanted to say a HUGE thank you to Scumigirl and Mcraven for all of their work on these boards. You both helped to make our trip truly magical! I don't think we would have had nearly as great of a time without your sage advice!
We stayed at Royal Pacific Aug 22-24, went to US for a half day on 22, IoA on 23, and finished up US on 24. Crowds were relatively light and we had a great time. It was hot, but not unbearable. We're from Minnesota, so that should tell you that we're not used to FL heat! However, I think going at the end of August when we are pretty hot and humid was much better than going in Sept when we are coming from cooler temps. It wasn't such a shock and made dealing with the heat easier. Late August is a great time to go!!

First, Express pass was worth it's weight in gold. My husband was so thankful for it (and so were DS 7 and DS 10)! We would not come back without it. Even though it was a relatively slow time, the rain often pushed up wait times. We had some issues with down rides that express pass made so much easier later on. It also made touring and planning that much more relaxing. We just went on whatever was nearby that we wanted, no park crisscrossing because of wait times, and the kids got to re-ride whatever they wanted multiple times. We wouldn't go back without it.

Second, Diagon Alley and Hog's Mead were out of this world. I had two huge HP fans with me, and they were blown away. My 10yo has become a daredevil, so he had a blast on every thrill ride. Hulk, Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket, and Gringott's were his favorites. My 7yo rode everything he was tall enough for (48"). Mummy scared him a lot the first time, but after riding Gringott's (his favorite) three times, he decided to try again and loved it. Minions was super fun as well. Simpson's was only okay, Transformers was okay, but Spiderman was another HUGE hit. What a fun ride that is! Kong and Fast and Furious were both okay, not huge hits, but were more fun than I was expecting from the reviews. However, we didn't have much of a wait for either, so I can understand not thinking they were worth a long wait. I tried to convince them to do a few shows, but they thought that sounded "boring", so we didn't do the makeup show or Animal actors show like I had wanted. We were also way too tired to stay up for the Cinematic Spectacular like I wanted to. Oh well, we'll have to go back! :)

Third, Royal Pacific was beautiful. We had a great stay there. We requested a low floor in Tower 1, and we got it. The pool was really fun and we swam every night. The only thing it needs is a quick service for breakfast and dinner. I know Citywalk is close, but after touring all day, or on the way in, I really missed being able to grab and go something quick and relatively cheap at the resort. Having the option to walk to the parks instead of boat was also nice. The boats were convenient and quick, so not complaints there either. However, they do not run when lightning is in the area, which happened a few times for us. They run a bus instead, but we just walked.

Motion Sickness: three of us are prone to it, so we took Bonine and dramamine every day. That kept it away for nearly every ride, except for Forbidden Journey for me. FJ was down at rope drop, so we came back right after eating. That was the mistake I think. It's too bad because I think that was an incredibly innovative ride, but I really couldn't enjoy it as I was feeling so sick. Luckily, it went away quickly, and we enjoyed the rest of the day. I wish I had ridden it on an empty stomach and could have enjoyed it more.

Food: We ate at Three Broomsticks (wonderful!!!), Leaky Cauldron (delicious!), Simpson's (just okay food in a crazy chaotic madhouse, wouldn't recommend), and Burger place in Jurassic Park (my husband said the burger was worse than a HS cafeteria). Ice cream at Florean Fortescue was awesome (especially salted caramel blondie!). I don't know if we just timed it well, but we had no issues eating in WWoHP for dinner either day, and had the best meals there (fish and chips and chicken sandwich or roasted chicken). So I would say that the food outside of HP was not as good. We were going to try some restaurants at Citywalk, but didn't have time. Some of them looked really great!

We had a great trip and it only made us excited to come back in a few years when there are some new rides and the 7yo will be tall enough to ride everything. We also want to try some more of the restaurants next time.

I'm happy to answer any questions about going with two younger boys or our touring plan.
Sounds like you had an AWESOME trip! I "hear" you when you say how wondeful it is having EP with RP! We have always either stayed at HRH or RP in our best trips and the EP has been so wonderful! You get "spoiled" with such convenience! Our trip this coming Dec is first "offsite" trip we have had in years since RP opened.. Oh well, mid December, shouldn't be too too crazy...We got a deal that we couldn't pass up, "off site"...Looking forward to a fun time! Hoping for nice warm weather, but who knows in December..If it is nice, DS wants to do Volcano Bay, we'll see..Have read if not staying onsite, to make sure you are there at opening or the lines will be very long...Volcano Bay opens at 10, we'll go on a weekday, weather permitting, be there in line at opening and we'll see..We all love water parks, only remaining uncertainty is whether it will be warm enough to do.. Excited about getting back to Universal, we were there May of 2016, right before Kong opened, looking forward to Kong!::yes::

We were there the same time as you! We also loved it. You must go back and try some restaurants. We LOVED Mythos. We also ate at Hard Rock Cafe and NBC sports bar at city walk. Both were wonderful and very relaxing and fun atmosphere. We also stayed at Royal Pacific and loved it. We would like to go back to try Volcano Bay.

Just wanted to chime in about the 2 shows you missed. The Horror Makeup show is fun and hilarious , and we see it every time we go to Universal. I hope you get a chance to see it next time. It is NOT boring, and a lot of kids were in the audience each time. It's fast paced and funny.
We never got the chance to see Animal Actors either, but it's on our list. I think it will be amazing. I hope someone else reports on it.
It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We always stay at RPR, and are never disappointed. Thanks for the trip report:)

DS was a little upset that we missed out on the Makeup Show this year, but I assured him it probably had not changed since he saw it over 20 years ago.

We love to help others and was glad to help you

It’s a team effort to help all that ask us questions and need directions

Put Horror Make Up show on your list for the next trip!

Also next trip take advantage of the Orchid Court Lounge
Located at the opposite side of check in area

They have basic breakfast foods and is self serve
All ala cart
Fresh fruit
Etc
Menu available online

Hours are 6 am to 11:00 m-f
Weekends open to noon

Thanks for sharing. RP is our favourite resort. We love it. It is always great to read about positive trip experiences.

When I reserved through the Loews site, there was a box to put in room requests. When I checked in, they noted the requests. We arrived around noon, our room wasn't ready. But we received the text around 3:30 with our room number. The only downside was that we were poolside, so with the lights on and curtains open people could see in. We just kept the curtains closed, as we would have anyway.

Great report, thanks for sharing!

It also made touring and planning that much more relaxing. We just went on whatever was nearby that we wanted, no park crisscrossing because of wait times, and the kids got to re-ride whatever they wanted multiple times.

Couldn't agree more. We also enjoy sleeping in and moseying to the parks at our leisure whenever we wake up. Knowing we have EP, we have no pressure to make rope drop!

The only thing it needs is a quick service for breakfast and dinner.

Did you try Orchid Court Lounge for breakfast? Its akin to a quick service in the morning, and we've always found it to have ample options. A touch more than a continental breakfast. Not as robust as a true food court or quick service, but it worked for us in the mornings at RPR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter