Just back, some thoughts:

MainMom

DIS Veteran
Travel group: My family of 4 (Me, DH, DD14, DS9), Sisters Family (DBF, DS14, DD12) Mom, Dad, DNiece 9. My family was last at WDW 4 years ago, Sisters family when the kids were 6 &4, Sisters DBF when Epcot was still being built & Mr. Toad was around, Mom & Dad 5 years, DNiece first trip. Total-11 people.
They left the planning to me. I gave Mom & sister options for dining & it was easy to agree. They didn't care about FP's. They knew I would make the best decisions for the group. No arguing or problems at all in the planning stages.

My group traveled well together. We stuck together for all things except the last day when we split up guys & girls. Everyone was up and ready on time, no complaining. We did early mornings arriving about 45 minutes before park opening, leaving after TS lunch and then headed back in the evening for night time shows. We only had one meltdown/grumpy time and that was after our waterpark day. Everyone was just tired. We all got some sleep and woke up with much better attitudes the next day.

We loved the Magic Bands and FP+! Had a couple of issues upon entry, but they just took our pic and away we went. That happened to 3 of us on the second day. After that everything worked perfectly. I scheduled our FP's for 10, 11 & 1:30 most days. Lunch ADR's went faster than I thought and I could have scheduled the last one for 1pm. We did do some waiting around for our times, but we used the time to visit. It was never more than 10-15 minutes. We are not re-ride people so we managed to accomplish a lot (for our standards.) We did 10 rides between 7:50 and 11:45 on EMH Thursday, 2 were FP (HM & 7DMT), ate lunch at 12 and then did PP FP before heading out. (This also included the headliners.) We had an equally successful Tuesday (last day) at MK with the girls. The focus was FL & Princess M&G. Between 7:50 & 8:50 we did 5 rides & met Ariel. From 8:55-11:20 we met Merida, Alice & White Rabbit (together), Cinderella & Rapunzel (FP), Peter Pan, Tiana, Elsa & Anna (FP). We also had a couple of bathroom breaks in there and waited 5-10 minutes for our M&G FP times. We were in line for Merida by 8:55 and were the 3rd or 4th family (she started meeting at 9:15). The longest wait was for Alice, maybe 20 minutes? Tiana was in Heritage Hall in LS, there was practically no wait.

The Frozen fireworks were the best nighttime show we saw. Absolutely loved them. Sad to say Illuminations is no longer my favorite. The lasers were hard to see and the globe part was too long. Still love the music. Love MSEP and Wishes.

We battled the heat by using frog toggs & drinking lots of water. I minimized time outside by keeping our planned attractions close together. We did not crisscross the park for FP. Our 1st MK day we did TL>Frontierland>LS>Fantasyland (Lunch was BOG.) HS was our worst heat day. It's so hard to plan that park effectively. AK wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. We all thought the crowds were not that bad! We were all pleasantly surprised.

My family all said this was the best vacation ever. It was definitely our best WDW vacation. None of us wanted to leave. So, for all of those traveling with extended family, it can be done. You can stay together and have it work. We hit all of the highlights and then some. We added some rides in on the fly because we had time and the lines were reasonable. The longest ride line we waited in all trip was maybe 20 minutes, at the most. We would all do summer again in a heartbeat.

Any questions on what we did, strategy with a group or anything else please ask!

Last edited:
Also, for those who think there is too much Frozen, watching my niece sing along to her favorite movie, to see her getting special attention during the Frozen processional due to her birthday button, to see her eyes light up during the Frozen fireworks, it was not too much for her. That is the movie she knows and loves the most. Her first trip was Frozen magic. I made sure of it. She made me tear up with her pure innocence and love more than once. Bring on Frozen!

Sounds like a super successful trip! Happy for you.

I'm super bummed that the Frozen fireworks are scheduled to be gone by the time we get there late Sept. :(

Dan

Sounds like a wonderful time! Kudos to you for putting together what sounds like an amazing trip with such a large group. Thank you for sharing-I'm excited for my September trip even more now :)

Sounds like a super successful trip! Happy for you.

I'm super bummed that the Frozen fireworks are scheduled to be gone by the time we get there late Sept. :(

Dan

Yep me too, we are there 9/12-9/19-just missing them :( Would love to see them extend this for just a little longer.

Also, for those who think there is too much Frozen, watching my niece sing along to her favorite movie, to see her getting special attention during the Frozen processional due to her birthday button, to see her eyes light up during the Frozen fireworks, it was not too much for her. That is the movie she knows and loves the most. Her first trip was Frozen magic. I made sure of it. She made me tear up with her pure innocence and love more than once. Bring on Frozen!

We really enjoyed the Frozen Fun at DHS last summer. I have to say I think that was smart throwing that together for people's Frozen Fix. :goodvibes

How many nights were you there and how many days did you hit the park in order to do everything you wanted to do?

Let's all petition to keep REAL fireworks -I don't care what music they put to it- (and NOT F!, that does not count as a fireworks show) at HS all year long!! (I'll be sad to see them go. They are the only ones I can watch while I lay in my bed. Lol)

How many nights were you there and how many days did you hit the park in order to do everything you wanted to do?

We arrived last Wednesday July 8th and left this past Wednesday, July 15.

Wednesday, July 8th-Epcot evening (FP)
Thursday, July 9th-MK EMH morning; Epcot evening (WS & Illluminations)
Friday, July 10th-HS morning; MK evening (No FP, dinner MSEP)
Saturday, July 11th-AK morning; Sister & family met DBF family at DTD for dinner; the rest of us went to Chefs de France for dinner
Sunday, July 12th-morning off, Dads/Grandpa took young girls to Akershus for breakfast; HS evening (used 2 of 3 FP, dinner HBD, Frozen Fireworks)
Monday, July 13th-BB waterpark; evening off (supposed to be Epcot, but we were all too tired)
Tuesday, July 14th-Magic Kingdom morning; MK evening (FP for Wishes, watched MSEP from viewing area as well as Wishes)

I did not try to get more FP for our group. When we were done, we were done. Plus I knew the availability for 11 was going to be not that great if anything. I used Josh's highly or most recommended days depending on our needs except for the EMH day at MK. We were there in plenty of time that day and stood right in front for the morning show. That was more important to us than being on either side to get in the park first.

So glad you had a great trip! We were there 7/3-7/10 and also had an enjoyable time. We loved the Frozen fireworks as well! We were traveling with another family and did not have as much luck staying together as you did (we are friends not related) but it was okay as we didn't need to do everything together. We would meet up for our ADR's and do some rides together but sometimes we didn't even do the FP we intentionally scheduled at the same time together. We were supposed to stay off site together but after the fact they decided to stay on site so while some days we met up at the gate before entering, other times their bus was late and since earlier in the trip they got annoyed waiting 5 minutes for us to meet them after they went on a ride we didn't want to go on we decided we weren't going to waste precious rope drop time waiting at the entrance for them. It was a good thing we didn't because once they got there they told us they made a breakfast reservation because they were on the dining plan (we obviously weren't) and since they were spending a couple of days at Universal they had to cram all of their meals in and scheduled a breakfast that they just barely made. Anyway, we thought the crowds were totally manageable, hardly waited in any lines. We joked about the traffic light at the exit of our resort being the longest wait of our trip (honestly it was Space Mountain at 11pm after Wishes our last night but it was only about 30 minutes).

Its so refreshing to hear a story about an extended family trip that went well! I have a question about the Frog Toggs. I purchased Frog Toggs for everyone in our group as per the advice of this forum. However, I have never used them. Can you provide any pointers? Do you wet them in the hotel room in the morning and put them in a plastic bag? Do you wear them all day or take them on/off? Do they need to be laundered at night? Do they really work? Do the kids like them as well as the adults? Honestly, although I purchased them, I really can't see my group walking around the park with a wet towel around our necks. I am open to any and all advice!

Glad you had a great time. We are still here and I plan on posting our post trip thoughts as well.

We really enjoyed the Frozen Fun at DHS last summer. I have to say I think that was smart throwing that together for people's Frozen Fix. :goodvibes
We loved the Frozen fireworks at DHS in late June. It was a lot better to me than Fantasmic. Even my husband was singing along.

Sounds like a successful trip- especially with so many people! Congrats!

It sounds like your touring style is much like ours. We thought our trip in June ranks right at the top as our best trip ever too.

How was watching MSEP from the Wishes fast pass area? I've been considering it, but we really love that parade & my parents, who haven't been to Disney in over 30 years, will be with us. We're only doing 1 MK day prior to a cruise & I'm trying to fit it all in! :rolleyes1

Its so refreshing to hear a story about an extended family trip that went well! I have a question about the Frog Toggs. I purchased Frog Toggs for everyone in our group as per the advice of this forum. However, I have never used them. Can you provide any pointers? Do you wet them in the hotel room in the morning and put them in a plastic bag? Do you wear them all day or take them on/off? Do they need to be laundered at night? Do they really work? Do the kids like them as well as the adults? Honestly, although I purchased them, I really can't see my group walking around the park with a wet towel around our necks. I am open to any and all advice!

We had Frog Toggs, my sister had the Endurance brand that we have seen at Target. Both worked well. We wet them and then put them in a ziplock. When the kids wanted one DH would get it out and snap it which, I guess, activated them. The adults didn't really use them, but the kids did. We would get them out when we could tell they were reaching their limit. A break with a frog togg in the shade to rest for a minute, get some water and eat a granola bar seemed to help recharge them/keep them going. They also came in handy at HS when my Nephew got motion sickness from Star Tours. Apparently he doesn't do well with 3d and should have bailed, but didn't. The Frog Togg helped him out.

We did not launder them during the trip, but definitely before. They are not soaking wet like a towel. Try it at home so you know how it works. You will be glad you have it even if it's just to prevent a meltdown once in awhile. :)

How was watching MSEP from the Wishes fast pass area? I've been considering it, but we really love that parade & my parents, who haven't been to Disney in over 30 years, will be with us. We're only doing 1 MK day prior to a cruise & I'm trying to fit it all in! :rolleyes1

It's ok, but we were right up front by the fence on the Tomorrowland side viewing area. The bottom of the floats can be cut off from view by the people lining the streets. If you have seen it before it's probably fine. If it's your favorite or you have a newbie with you I wouldn't recommend it. We had already seen it once so it was just a bonus for us.

So glad you had a wonderful time! Having a trip run that smoothly with so many people is impressive :)

I wish they had fireworks of some kind at HS. We really didn't care for Fantasmic! and won't go out of our way to see it again. I'm hopeful that the HS "rebranding"/expansion will include some form of fireworks show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter