Just Back... want to go again!!!

Sazuburns

Mouseketeer
Hi

I'm Sarah's DH - I think that's how you put it?

We got back to Gatwick at 7:30am yesterday morning (Friday) after two fantasmic weeks at WDW - staying in the resort at the new Pop Century hotel.

ECV - I'm disabled, I can walk a little and usually use a wheelchair (which we took with), but we hired an ECV from Randy's - they were great! Delivered and picked up when we asked, cost was $250 which came to just over £138 on my credit card. My DW couldn't dismantle it or lift it into the car (lifting the heaviest piece of 39lbs high up into the boot of the car withour scratching it was near on impossible) so we had to use the wheelchair when we used our hire car. Our 4 year-old was allowed to sit or stand in front of me on the ECV after lunches once we'd set some rules... "Hands on my knees but please don't squeeze"... I've had accidents with him before using ECV's in the UK but I must say he was really good.

Hire Car - we hired a car for the last six days only. Virgin knew that we had a wheelchair, two small boys (2 and 4), a stroller etc (and lots of luggage!!!) and assured us that a Intermediate 4dr car would be fine - it wasn't! We phoned Virgin from Dollar and they faxed over a new booking slip immeadiately for a Premium 4dr car as they were all out of mini vans - all at no extra cost (I should think so too).

The Disney buses can accomodate two ECV's and they were very good although the drivers didn't always know how to strap the ECV in properly and we never had the same driver twice in the 2 weeks! Also, I found the old style buses (Lift) (only 80 left out of 360 fleet) easier to get on than the newer (Ramps) more disABLED friendly buses! All of the fleet will be the newer style by the end of the summer.

GAC - We got a GAC on our first day at the MK. My wife explained my issues (I was in the ECV at the time) and the fact that we have two young children and that she was the primary carer for all of us - the Cast Member said jokingly that she should be able to manage easily - LOL!!! ...and handed over the GAC with no further questions allowing us to use the FastPass Return at every FastPass enabled ride OR the Exit at others OR going straight to the front of the line at the rest...

Pop Century - I didn't think the rooms were smaller but my DW did. I said that last time we came it was just the two of us in a normal two bedded room (at the All Star Resort)... this time we had two children, a stroller, an ECV, a hired fridge (given to us free for medicinal purposes by the hotel), a wheelchair, 2 car seats (for the first 9 days of the holiday) and a travel cot. The boys still managed to find some floor space to play!

Virgin - They were great both ways, helping us with our luggage at both ends (we used the Downtown Disney Checkout) and ensuring that we got 4 bulkhead seats together on both flights.

We had a GREAT holiday and can't wait to do it again... and soon!

My DW will post any other additional/helpful info that I've missed - any questions please feel free to ask...

James Burns

Dh has given you most of the info, but I'm going to add some stuff from my perspective. :teeth:

We took a really chunky stroller with us (Chicco Trekking, telescopic fold). Taking one like this had good points and bad points. It was far easier to push than one of the small 'holiday' type strollers, and it is also more comfortable to sit in. It lies flat so my younger ds could nap in it during the day. It's quite big when folded, but it did fit nicely under the seats on the bus, so it didn't take up too much room. When we went to the shopping malls and dh was in the wheelchair, we were able to do it in 'tandem' with dh pushing the stroller and me pushing the wheelchair. This was possible because the stroller handles twist to several different positions. This is something we often do at home, and this is another reason we decided to take this stroller rather than our lighter Maclaren Daytripper. However, it is larger and heavier than many strollers so getting it on the bus was a little harder.

I also took a baby carrier/sling. I have a Baby Trekker, which is a really good Canadian one. It is a soft carrier (not a framed one) and can go on the front or back. Ds2 fits in it still, even though he is a fairly chunky 2-year-old. I mainly used it when we were in the parks late for parades, shows or fireworks. I would put ds2 in the sling so that ds1 could sit in the stroller. On one occasion they were both asleep and when we got to the bus, after dh's ECV was strapped in, I needed to get them both onto the bus and fold the stroller and get that on the bus too. People were really helpful, and one lady carried ds1 onto the bus and someone else took the stroller so I just had to 'wear' ds2 in the sling. People were helpful overall, and often offered to help with the stroller etc.

Our younger ds was often on a baby harness/reins during our time in the park. I know they aren't that popular or common in the US, but it made my life much easier to be able to grab him easily and hold on without him wriggling away. It also made it possible for dh to hold onto him from the ECV whilst I sorted out strollers and children! I also put ds2 in shoes which squeaked as he walked (yes, if you were there in the last two weeks and you heard lots of squeaking, that was us!). This meant that I could let him have a certain amount of freedom in the playgrounds and parks, as I could hear where he was most of the time. I found this really helpful, as dh couldn't just get up and run after the children and I had both of them to keep an eye on. If anyone wants info on where to get the shoes, just ask! :Pinkbounc

Food was a bit of a nightmare - dh is wheat-intollerant, we keep kosher so we could have certain fish (but not seafood or shellfish) and ds1 is extremely fussy about textures because his is mildly dyspraxic. It made it challenging to feed all of us at the same restaurant! Unfortunately, most of the 'healthy choices' in the restaurants were chicken-based, so the children and I lived on pizza, vegetarian burgers and chips for most of the two weeks. Dh made do with a hearty breakfast and lots of gluten-free cereal bars. This is probably why he lost 5lbs and I gained the same! :mad:

Thanks for your very complete reports.
Sounds like despite some challenges, you had a great time.

Sara & husband, thank you both for sharing your trip highlights with us. I enjoyed reading your reports.

I understand you using the harness for your little boy. Many years ago when I worked at a major department store at a mall, we frequently saw customers use the baby harness. Personally I think it is a fine idea, so the adult can keep track of the child.

I am glad to read that other WDW guests were helpful to you on the busses. You certainly had your hands full!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter