Just Back - WDW vs Disneyland thoughts

I always find these comparisons interesting. As WDW vets we were excited about our 1st trip to Disneyland but expectations were low. We ended falling in love with it. Fantasyland is so much better in Anaheim. The only thing I didn't care for was the lack of space at the park. Then again, even when crowded, there is still plenty to do. The same can't be said for Magic Kingdom.

You got it!

We are now a family of 7 so little things like adding max pass and PH really add up. So for first time DLR visit as a family, having been to WDW 5 times I am still debating how many days and PH or not. I think we could do 4 days and no PH or 3 days with PH. 4 days might be overkill though? Plus that adds another hotel night so might negate the cost of the PH?

Obviously if you had unlimited money then the best option would be four days, park hoppers, with MaxPass. But for those of us who need to budget, it makes sense to choose only those options that your family will value most. I think that you will definitely want at least two full days in Disneyland, and at least one full day in California Adventure. However, I don't think that 4 days total would be overkill. You could go in with a plan to spend 2 days at DL, 1 day at DCA, and then the family decides where to spend the last day while you're there. This way you don't need park hoppers.

What's tricky about not getting park hoppers, especially when you have a large group, is that some people end up really loving a certain ride in one park, while others prefer rides in the other park. So you get a scenario where the group has decided to spend the day at Disneyland, but young Timmy really loved Carsland and wants to go there every day and is disappointed/throws a fit because you are stuck in Disneyland for the day. Or similarly, the group is spending their last day in DCA, but some in the group have done all they want to by the afternoon, and are sad that they can't go spend the evening in DLR and see the fireworks one more time/ride their favorite ride one last time. In many ways, the bigger the group the more beneficial park hoppers are, because those who prefer one park over the other can split off and everyone gets what they want.

So, if there were just two adults going and you knew you would likely agree on how to spend your time, I would say 4 days, no park hoppers, yes to MaxPass. But with a group of 7, I'd suggest 3 or 4 days (depending on what you can afford, with 4 days being better), park hoppers, and MaxPass on a case by case basis. I would not purchase tickets with MaxPass automatically added on, but rather add it manually on the first day in the parks, and then decide for each subsequent day whether you want it or not. You may have some people in the group that are always going off on their own to ride as much as possible while grandma and baby take things slower. In that type of scenario, it may make sense for some to have MaxPass, while the rest of the group may be fine without it. It depends on how much you will be sticking together or breaking up into smaller groups.

I do agree with you that if you decide to go with 3 days, park hoppers become more of a necessity.

I have never stayed onsite because I consider the prices to be price-gouging so I really do not understand the whole bubble thing. I have never felt that I was missing anything because I stayed offsite.
I don't think I did either until I moved to within 20 miles of DL. We used to do full-day drives from No Cal when I was a kid and DL really did feel special. Now that I live down in So Cal and have had AP's a couple of times I see it. It seems like EVERYONE has an AP and only comes for a couple of hours - not all day. BIG difference! You have to force yourself to be in the bubble and the pull of real life is relentless. We go to DL maybe once a year so it does feel special and go on vacation to WDW and stay on property to get the full experience.

"but honestly, most were just weird (I'm looking at you, Mr Toad and Snow White " <-- this cracked me up. Yes, those two rides are very strange! Pinnochio too, actually! I like them, but I always feel nervous when I take little kids on them, and don't usually ride them more than once in a trip. :)

Obviously if you had unlimited money then the best option would be four days, park hoppers, with MaxPass. But for those of us who need to budget, it makes sense to choose only those options that your family will value most. I think that you will definitely want at least two full days in Disneyland, and at least one full day in California Adventure. However, I don't think that 4 days total would be overkill. You could go in with a plan to spend 2 days at DL, 1 day at DCA, and then the family decides where to spend the last day while you're there. This way you don't need park hoppers.

What's tricky about not getting park hoppers, especially when you have a large group, is that some people end up really loving a certain ride in one park, while others prefer rides in the other park. So you get a scenario where the group has decided to spend the day at Disneyland, but young Timmy really loved Carsland and wants to go there every day and is disappointed/throws a fit because you are stuck in Disneyland for the day. Or similarly, the group is spending their last day in DCA, but some in the group have done all they want to by the afternoon, and are sad that they can't go spend the evening in DLR and see the fireworks one more time/ride their favorite ride one last time. In many ways, the bigger the group the more beneficial park hoppers are, because those who prefer one park over the other can split off and everyone gets what they want.

So, if there were just two adults going and you knew you would likely agree on how to spend your time, I would say 4 days, no park hoppers, yes to MaxPass. But with a group of 7, I'd suggest 3 or 4 days (depending on what you can afford, with 4 days being better), park hoppers, and MaxPass on a case by case basis. I would not purchase tickets with MaxPass automatically added on, but rather add it manually on the first day in the parks, and then decide for each subsequent day whether you want it or not. You may have some people in the group that are always going off on their own to ride as much as possible while grandma and baby take things slower. In that type of scenario, it may make sense for some to have MaxPass, while the rest of the group may be fine without it. It depends on how much you will be sticking together or breaking up into smaller groups.

I do agree with you that if you decide to go with 3 days, park hoppers become more of a necessity.
So many good points here, thank you! I really need to look at the numbers! And to decide if we go to WDW in 2021 and DLR in 2022 or vice versa. Would love to squeeze both in before baby turns 3 (currently 1 month old with others being 10, 8, 6, 4)

@LizzyS I miss Country Bears SO MUCH!

@twoolle we didn't do PH when we were there because we had 4 kids and we didn't want to deal with the "I want to go back to DCA/I don't want to go to DCA" madness. Without PH (and with kids who'd never been so they didn't know any better), we were able to just say "today we're going to DL!" and everyone was happy. A couple of times on our second DL day (we did DL/DCA/DL) one of the kids did a little nostalgic "I wish I could go on _____ again!" but it wasn't whiny or anything.

I guess my point is if the kids don't know any better, I'd just do one park per day and call it good. Then there's no arguing, fighting or whining about which park to go to.

We are now a family of 7 so little things like adding max pass and PH really add up. So for first time DLR visit as a family, having been to WDW 5 times I am still debating how many days and PH or not. I think we could do 4 days and no PH or 3 days with PH. 4 days might be overkill though? Plus that adds another hotel night so might negate the cost of the PH?

We had 4 day tickets without hopper (family of 3), although one day was our arrival day and we didn’t get into the park until afternoon. We took breaks and/or left the parks in the late afternoon or early evening when it was most crowded. We were able to do everything we wanted but 3 days would not have been enough. I don’t feel like hopper was necessary. Even if we had it I don’t think we would have used it. Definitely get Maxpass though. You don’t have to buy the hopper in advance. You can always add it while there if you feel the need for it.

@LizzyS I miss Country Bears SO MUCH!

@twoolle we didn't do PH when we were there because we had 4 kids and we didn't want to deal with the "I want to go back to DCA/I don't want to go to DCA" madness. Without PH (and with kids who'd never been so they didn't know any better), we were able to just say "today we're going to DL!" and everyone was happy. A couple of times on our second DL day (we did DL/DCA/DL) one of the kids did a little nostalgic "I wish I could go on _____ again!" but it wasn't whiny or anything.

I guess my point is if the kids don't know any better, I'd just do one park per day and call it good. Then there's no arguing, fighting or whining about which park to go to.
We had 4 day tickets without hopper (family of 3), although one day was our arrival day and we didn’t get into the park until afternoon. We took breaks and/or left the parks in the late afternoon or early evening when it was most crowded. We were able to do everything we wanted but 3 days would not have been enough. I don’t feel like hopper was necessary. Even if we had it I don’t think we would have used it. Definitely get Maxpass though. You don’t have to buy the hopper in advance. You can always add it while there if you feel the need for it.
Thank you both. I think I would feel more comfortable with 4 days so we can slow down a little. And I think in that sense PH would be nice but not necessary!

I have never stayed onsite because I consider the prices to be price-gouging so I really do not understand the whole bubble thing. I have never felt that I was missing anything because I stayed offsite.
If you have never done it how do you know you are not missing anything? There is a difference between staying onsite and off, hard to explain. is it worth it is another topic. My experience is with Florida at WDW and Universal Studios Orlando and there is a big difference. I find staying offsite you get disconnected from the experience, then again sometimes it's too much being immersed in all Disney, all the time.

"but honestly, most were just weird (I'm looking at you, Mr Toad and Snow White " <-- this cracked me up. Yes, those two rides are very strange! Pinnochio too, actually! I like them, but I always feel nervous when I take little kids on them, and don't usually ride them more than once in a trip. :)

I love those rides. Only been once (2nd trip in April) but we went on all the dark rides at least 5 times.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion on the differences between the parks!

One thing I want to say- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is definitely going to be strange to you if you've never seen The Wind in the Willows (1949), which was a favorite of mine as a child and my absolute favorite Fantasyland ride.
Also a fan of the movie and the ride. I even have a painting of mr toad I did.

One thing I wanted to add about the differences between WDW and Disneyland. I have been very impressed with how friendly and helpful the local visitors are..... we are new to Southern California, and yesterday was the second time I’ve taken my girls by myself to DLR. Each time several women have helped my girls exit the tram and several men have helped me with the stroller, all of them recognizing a mom on her own with her hands full. The CMs are also super helpful and seem more so when I’m solo with the kids. My toddler wouldn’t touch the Mac and cheese I’d ordered her at Flo’s last night, and this sweet CM exchanged it for chicken tenders, brought fresh sides and even brought it to our table. Talk about amazing service.

I do see how some of the CMs at WDW are perhaps more excited, and before this last trip I agreed that they were friendlier at WDW, but after our amazing experience at the DLH and Trader Sam’s a few weeks ago and how helpful they were at security and the restaurant yesterday when I was solo, I think I’ve changed my mind!

If you have never done it how do you know you are not missing anything? There is a difference between staying onsite and off, hard to explain. is it worth it is another topic. My experience is with Florida at WDW and Universal Studios Orlando and there is a big difference. I find staying offsite you get disconnected from the experience, then again sometimes it's too much being immersed in all Disney, all the time.
I agree with Nanny. Before this trip I agreed with her. Didn’t think I’d miss anything. This is my first trip staying onsite because we came for dapper days. I was right! 🤷‍♀️ It’s ok for those that need the bubble. But for the rest of us, we can enjoy the parks and the $ savings. There’s no right or wrong way. Just different!

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion on the differences between the parks!

One thing I want to say- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is definitely going to be strange to you if you've never seen The Wind in the Willows (1949), which was a favorite of mine as a child and my absolute favorite Fantasyland ride.

Plus, what other ride can you go through hell?!

One thing I wanted to add about the differences between WDW and Disneyland. I have been very impressed with how friendly and helpful the local visitors are..... we are new to Southern California, and yesterday was the second time I’ve taken my girls by myself to DLR. Each time several women have helped my girls exit the tram and several men have helped me with the stroller, all of them recognizing a mom on her own with her hands full. The CMs are also super helpful and seem more so when I’m solo with the kids. My toddler wouldn’t touch the Mac and cheese I’d ordered her at Flo’s last night, and this sweet CM exchanged it for chicken tenders, brought fresh sides and even brought it to our table. Talk about amazing service.

I do see how some of the CMs at WDW are perhaps more excited, and before this last trip I agreed that they were friendlier at WDW, but after our amazing experience at the DLH and Trader Sam’s a few weeks ago and how helpful they were at security and the restaurant yesterday when I was solo, I think I’ve changed my mind!
FIrst, how wonderful that you've been able to experience the DLR CM difference! The CM magic here is really something -- they really try to personalize their service and get to know you/try to help you if they can. Please send in a comment about the great service that you've received on your recent visits! We do hear often from WDW vets that they miss hearing "Have a magical day!" and assume CMs are rude for not saying it -- but I think the CMs at DLR approach guests differently, as you yourself are experiencing now. The one on one, personal attention (similar to the kind of friendliness you've experienced from the local visitors) is just the way things are at DLR -- casual, friendly, helpful. Yes, we have our bad apples, too, but the kind hearted people make up for that. Just tonight when we were exiting DL, a CM at the turnstile recognized us and asked how we were doing because he hadn't seen us in a while. That was sweet of him to ask. And he really seemed to want to know if we were doing well. He asked how Dapper Days went and if we enjoyed it. We really appreciate that kind of attention and personal concern from our CMs. It makes APs and CMs feel more like a family.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter