Just boarded the Disney Magic, first sailing in the Mediterranean since Covid

It's an 8-hour drive - that you can break in Fredericia and Hamburg.
Fair enough. Rental companies charge quite a lot to pick up a car in one state and return it in another. I figured that doing that between countries (even within the EU) would be very expensive.

If it's possible, could you please ask why no port upgrades were available for this cruise.
We did asked but got some “Disneyspeak” about it being a decision from the Cruise director.
Where did you stay in Barcelona? We're going next year
Intercontinental Barcelona. Would come back without hesitation, probably one of the best hotels we've been. Room is huge and the Club lounge is lovely, with fantastic appetizers and a very solid selection of wines. Still can't remember how many glasses I've had of Veuve Clicquot :teeth:

We just got off the transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona last week. Great cruise. 50% capacity. About 10% of passengers wore masks, all the crew did.
Horrible embarkation in Miami, took about 3 hours. Easy debsrkstion in Barcelona. Although no security there. Someone took one of our bags by mistake. We were looking everywhere and just getting to file a report when she came running back. Apparently she was just getting in a cab and realized she had the wrong bag. Although ours was blue and hers was green. Anyway happy ending.

No one asked for proof of vaccine in Portugual or Spain when we got off although Disney said to make sure you have copies of Vaccination card. TKe pictures of passports snd vaccine cards on your phone. Then you always have them and don’t need paper.

We stayed in Barcelona one night before flying home. Our hotel was Roger De Lluria. Two rooms cost about $400 for the night. Breakfast included. Great location. The palace hotel is Next door. It used to be a ritz. FABULOUS lobby and bar. Our hotel had Terrific helpful staff and nice clean rooms. The hotel booked our Covid tests to return home; the lab person came to hotel and it was done in the lobby in 5 min. About 30 min later I received the certificates by email showing 4 of us were negative and the hotel printed them for me. The test was $45 euro which is more than the test at the airport charges but well worth it to get it done ahead of time. The hotel also booked a car to the airport for $50 euro. Actually 2 cars since we had so much luggage.

If you’re in Barcelona for a day or more I highly recommend the hop on hop off bus. We took blue and red routes. It’s the only place in Barcelona that required nasks. But once you’re on you can take them off.

Lunch was served in Lumière's. We went to Cabana that was open until 15:15.

Spa raffle not listed on navigator, didn't go to check.

Will post a video of the navigator later, movies include Doctor Strange, Encanto, and others. If you have any specific feature in mind, tell me!

And last, a very good to those who needs it: “it's a small world” nursery is open, on appointment!!
Have a fabulous cruise! We aren't due to sail until September on the British Isles, but would you happen to know if kids club for 3-12 are still be reservation only limited to 1 precooked slot a day? We just booked our excursions today so would like to know if we can count on leaving our 3yo in kids club whilst we go ashore. I couldn't find any info about this on DCL's website (it did say a small world is open again, but nothing special about Oceaneer other than face masks) which makes me wonder if kids club are no longer by reservation ;)

Have a fabulous cruise! We aren't due to sail until September on the British Isles, but would you happen to know if kids club for 3-12 are still be reservation only limited to 1 precooked slot a day? We just booked our excursions today so would like to know if we can count on leaving our 3yo in kids club whilst we go ashore. I couldn't find any info about this on DCL's website (it did say a small world is open again, but nothing special about Oceaneer other than face masks) which makes me wonder if kids club are no longer by reservation ;)
No reservations needed!

I can tell you where NOT to stay. I prepaid for a room at the Hilton to get the lower Honors rate. Upon arrival, I was told there were no available room. They sent us in a taxi to another hotel where I spent hours arguing with the manager about the situation that the Hilton had “claimed” they had to explained to the hotel (which was part of the Hilton chain). We flew to Barcelona from London the night before the cruise and it was a terrible start.
Which Hilton is this? We are booked at the Heathrow airport Hilton hotel for our July sailing

Which Hilton is this? We are booked at the Heathrow airport Hilton hotel for our July sailing
I have never had an issue with any of the Hilton brands in London. The one in Barcelona was Hilton Diagonal Mar. The other terrible one they sent us to was Alexandra Barcelona Hotel. I filed a complaint against the hotel manager and the sad part was they were not surprised.

I can tell you where NOT to stay. I prepaid for a room at the Hilton to get the lower Honors rate. Upon arrival, I was told there were no available room. They sent us in a taxi to another hotel where I spent hours arguing with the manager about the situation that the Hilton had “claimed” they had to explained to the hotel (which was part of the Hilton chain). We flew to Barcelona from London the night before the cruise and it was a terrible start.
oh no, that's terrible. to think that a huge chain like that would do that to you. I'm so sorry

oh no, that's terrible. to think that a huge chain like that would do that to you. I'm so sorry
It happens with the large chains all the time. They oversell rooms and hope for cancelations, just like airlines do. They also have loyalty programs that guarantee rooms and room upgrades at certain tiers. If one of their members shows up, then you might get bumped. It's happened to me quite a few times.

It happens with the large chains all the time. They oversell rooms and hope for cancelations, just like airlines do. They also have loyalty programs that guarantee rooms and room upgrades at certain tiers. If one of their members shows up, then you might get bumped. It's happened to me quite a few times.
If that’s happening to you frequently why not just join the loyalty program then and earn points?

If that’s happening to you frequently why not just join the loyalty program then and earn points?
I just don't want to be tied to one brand.

I didn't say that it happens frequently, just that it's happened to me a number of times. I travel pretty often, though.

I just don't want to be tied to one brand.

I didn't say that it happens frequently, just that it's happened to me a number of times. I travel pretty often, though.
I join everyone’s loyalty programs and book direct. I’m not tied to any one brand either. I’ve never been bumped from a hotel.

Hotels oversell, it’s a numbers game. If you know 5% of guests on average won’t show up you book 5% more people than you have rooms for to maximize your numbers because an unsold room can never make money.

However, hotels should have well laid out “walk” policies on how and where they “walk” guests if they do end up oversold and they should arrange them prior to you arriving at the new property. The manager at the second hotel needs a lot more training.

Hotels oversell, it’s a numbers game. If you know 5% of guests on average won’t show up you book 5% more people than you have rooms for to maximize your numbers because an unsold room can never make money.

However, hotels should have well laid out “walk” policies on how and where they “walk” guests if they do end up oversold and they should arrange them prior to you arriving at the new property. The manager at the second hotel needs a lot more training.

Don't just accept a "sorry, we don't have a room for you" if you have a reservation. Ask the hotel where they will put you up that is at least as nice as the hotel you booked - usually for free until they can accommodate you. It's not often legally required, but it is a reasonable expectation and the norm in the industry.

Last edited:
Don't just accept a "sorry, we don't have a room for you" if you have a reservation. Ask the hotel where they will put you up that is at least as nice as the hotel you booked, for the original rate you agreed to. Worst case scenario, pay for a room somewhere else and demand the original hotel pay the price difference when you return home. It's not often legally required, but it is a reasonable expectation.
In my experience if a hotel has to walk a guest they should be paying for your room at the new hotel and refunding any money you may have already paid for your original room.

In my experience if a hotel has to walk a guest they should be paying for your room at the new hotel and refunding any money you may have already paid for your original room.

You are right - I actually updated my post while you were replying after finding an article that said the same thing - because I realized I was probably remembering incorrectly. But you replied too quickly. :)

This was an interesting article on the topic: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/...er,Hotel Administration at Cornell University.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter