Just booked 1st RC on the Oasis - questions!

Wes1stTrip2016

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

I have been waiting for DCL to release Oct 2017 rates....all the while reading so many posts about the ever increasing prices....so while waiting patiently I began to research other options out of Port Canaveral and discovered the Oasis of the Seas. The ship looks fabulous but I had my heart pretty set on Disney.

Anyway, today I see on Facebook the 60% off 2nd person, $200 OBC and 1/2 off deposits SO I booked a Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Large Balcony on deck 10 (midship 10200).

WOW - Ok, so yes I'm excited - I've never cruised before. DH & I are going on our 1st cruise in 18 days on Carnival out of NOLA. My best friend are planning to cruise next fall break on DCL, but I find it hard to imagine I can get 1/2 the deal out of DCL that I found on RC and I like the idea of DreamWorks characters as we just did a Disney trip in Feb of this year.

Is deck 10 a good location? Central?

If my DH decides he does not want to go, are there any issues making changes to current reservations?

Is $3500 a good deal for this stateroom for 2 adults & 1 child for 7 nights in Oct on the Oasis? I have nothing to compare it too as our Carnival cruise is only 5 nights.

TIA!!

Last edited:
We love the Oasis :) it's a great ship with lots and lots to do. The Dreamworks experience was fun also. We put our cruise on Oasis equal to our Disney Fantasy and the price for the Disney was close to twice as much.

Can't really comment on the room/price as we book cheaper cabins as we are never in them (on Oasis we were in a Central Park balcony and actually really liked it!) did you book yourself or with a travel agent? I now book through a TA to get on board credit.

We booked our first non DCL cruise for this November on the Oasis. Without even sailing yet we have booked a b2b on her for October 2017, so 14 lovely days. I'm not sure how good your price actually is. we bought this cruise for $2500 Canadian (2 adults) which with todays rate is about $1880 u.s. Its for a Central Park view which, while its not everyones choice, I really thought would be nice because of sitting out on the balcony at night and seeing the twinkle of the lights and listening to the sounds of crickets and soft music. I romanticized it, lol. This comes with a free lunch at Giavonis and a bottle of red wine. This cruise was almost $2000 cheaper than the DCL sailing same week and is 8 nights instead of the 7 nights on DCL.
October 2017 we booked the very last balcony on the Boardwalk. This gives us an ocean view along with the view of the Boardwalk itself and the water show. We can just sit on our balcony and watch from there if we choose. This booking includes free pop packages for both of us and a free lunch at Jonny Rockets. We are paying $2850 Canadian for each sailing (2 adults) which is about $2142 U.S.
I kept hearing about how RCL nickel and dimes you but through investigating these claims came to find that its really not true. Yes you pay for specialty dinning. You do on DCL as well so no difference. There are actually more choices for specialty dinning with RCCL. You pay for pop on RCCL, which you get free on DCL, BUT for a $2000 savings I will gladly shell out $120 for a pop package for 2. A bonus for RCCL is you can buy an drink package and not have to worry about your bill at the end of the cruise. I like that, no guessing.
You should check over on cruise critic. There is much more information for RCCL there but be warned, some of the people over there are rather mean in their responses. At least that was what I was told by people here and have found it to be true.
Have a great trip.

We love the Oasis :) it's a great ship with lots and lots to do. The Dreamworks experience was fun also. We put our cruise on Oasis equal to our Disney Fantasy and the price for the Disney was close to twice as much.

Can't really comment on the room/price as we book cheaper cabins as we are never in them (on Oasis we were in a Central Park balcony and actually really liked it!) did you book yourself or with a travel agent? I now book through a TA to get on board credit.

I booked it myself online and RC gave us a $100 OBC (as part of the deal). Would an agent have given more maybe??

We booked our first non DCL cruise for this November on the Oasis. Without even sailing yet we have booked a b2b on her for October 2017, so 14 lovely days. I'm not sure how good your price actually is. we bought this cruise for $2500 Canadian (2 adults) which with todays rate is about $1880 u.s. Its for a Central Park view which, while its not everyones choice, I really thought would be nice because of sitting out on the balcony at night and seeing the twinkle of the lights and listening to the sounds of crickets and soft music. I romanticized it, lol. This comes with a free lunch at Giavonis and a bottle of red wine. This cruise was almost $2000 cheaper than the DCL sailing same week and is 8 nights instead of the 7 nights on DCL.
October 2017 we booked the very last balcony on the Boardwalk. This gives us an ocean view along with the view of the Boardwalk itself and the water show. We can just sit on our balcony and watch from there if we choose. This booking includes free pop packages for both of us and a free lunch at Jonny Rockets. We are paying $2850 Canadian for each sailing (2 adults) which is about $2142 U.S.
I kept hearing about how RCL nickel and dimes you but through investigating these claims came to find that its really not true. Yes you pay for specialty dinning. You do on DCL as well so no difference. There are actually more choices for specialty dinning with RCCL. You pay for pop on RCCL, which you get free on DCL, BUT for a $2000 savings I will gladly shell out $120 for a pop package for 2. A bonus for RCCL is you can buy an drink package and not have to worry about your bill at the end of the cruise. I like that, no guessing.
You should check over on cruise critic. There is much more information for RCCL there but be warned, some of the people over there are rather mean in their responses. At least that was what I was told by people here and have found it to be true.
Have a great trip.

We really liked the Central Park room- sitting out at night was great- there was lovely live music every night.
I think you will also like the Boardwalk room too, especially being so close to the diving show!
The drink package is handy as you don't have to get one for each adult if you don't want to. We don't drink much pop, so didn't matter to us.

We didn't feel any less nickled and dimed on the Fantasy over Oasis/Freedom (other RCL ship we have been on)

We just got back from our first RC sailing on the Allure. It was DH and I and we has stateroom 12725 which was third from the back. We had an awesome view of the ocean, the aqua theatre and boardwalk. Didn't find it noisy at all. In fact, we rebooked onboard for the Oasis next May and chose the last balcony stateroom 12729 because we enjoyed the location so much. We previously did a 3 night on DCL in 2009 and found the service and amenities comparable with RC. We paid $2600 CDN for DH and I, he got a soda package and I just drank water. We wouldn't get the drink package again as we didn't find much value in it. Our next cruise will cost $3600 for DH, Myself and DD6 with a $100 stateroom credit.

We just got back from our first RC sailing on the Allure. It was DH and I and we has stateroom 12725 which was third from the back. We had an awesome view of the ocean, the aqua theatre and boardwalk. Didn't find it noisy at all. In fact, we rebooked onboard for the Oasis next May and chose the last balcony stateroom 12729 because we enjoyed the location so much. We previously did a 3 night on DCL in 2009 and found the service and amenities comparable with RC. We paid $2600 CDN for DH and I, he got a soda package and I just drank water. We wouldn't get the drink package again as we didn't find much value in it. Our next cruise will cost $3600 for DH, Myself and DD6 with a $100 stateroom credit.
We booked 11329 which would be the same cabin as yours but on the opposite side. I'm looking forward to it.
You do know that you should get a free pop package for you both with your cabin don't you? Plus a lunch at Jonny Rockets. That begins in November of this year and the agent told me there was no end date for it.

We booked 11329 which would be the same cabin as yours but on the opposite side. I'm looking forward to it.
You do know that you should get a free pop package for you both with your cabin don't you? Plus a lunch at Jonny Rockets. That begins in November of this year and the agent told me there was no end date for it.

No, I didn't know that, I'm going to call this week and speak with someone at RC, I made a impulse reservation and don't know near enough.

Hmmm, interesting. We booked onboard and the guy never mentioned this to us at all. Bonus though

Is $3500 a good deal for this stateroom for 2 adults & 1 child for 7 nights in Oct on the Oasis? I have nothing to compare it too as our Carnival cruise is only 5 nights.

Only you can decide if you got a deal you like.

I personally like breaking my cruises down to a per night cost. Since all cruises but our honeymoon have been with the 3 of us, that's easy. With you you might see what the per adult cost is for Carnival vs Royal, and see how they compare.

I booked it myself online and RC gave us a $100 OBC (as part of the deal). Would an agent have given more maybe??

They might. If you belong to Costco, you could contact costcotravel.com and see if you can transfer the booking to them, and what sort of deals they are giving right now. You can transfer inside of 30 days I believe. Other TAs like DU give a lowered amount of onboard credit with transfers, but for some reason Costco continues to give the full benefit.

Only you can decide if you got a deal you like.

I personally like breaking my cruises down to a per night cost. Since all cruises but our honeymoon have been with the 3 of us, that's easy. With you you might see what the per adult cost is for Carnival vs Royal, and see how they compare.

They might. If you belong to Costco, you could contact costcotravel.com and see if you can transfer the booking to them, and what sort of deals they are giving right now. You can transfer inside of 30 days I believe. Other TAs like DU give a lowered amount of onboard credit with transfers, but for some reason Costco continues to give the full benefit.

Just got an email from a TA (here at Dream's Unlimited) that DCL Oct 2017 prices/itineraries will be available on Thursday the 26th - anxiously awaiting the pricing to see if we will stay with the Oasis or follow our heart onto the Fantasy!!

Just got an email from a TA (here at Dream's Unlimited) that DCL Oct 2017 prices/itineraries will be available on Thursday the 26th - anxiously awaiting the pricing to see if we will stay with the Oasis or follow our heart onto the Fantasy!!
I'm going to look as well however I doubt DCL is going to touch our rates. We have a b2b on Oasis, each week is $2850ish Canadian for a veranda which is about $2150 ish U.S. I'm doubting that's going to happen but I will wait and see. Here's hoping for us both. :)

I was hoping (silly me) that I could follow my heart on to the fantasy as well but here is what I came up with today.

Fantasy, 2Adults, Cat 7A, October 21st was $3606. Fantasy, 2 Adults, Cat 7A, October 28th was $3502.42. Neither had discounts or ins. or transfers.

I booked Oasis for October 22nd, 2 Adults, $2638.00 Canadian (using todays rate $1983.00 U.S.) and October 29th, same as 22nd, $2632.00 Canadian (using todays rate $1978.00 U.S.). Both sailings come with a Pop package already so no extra cost for that.

By booking with Oasis I have saved $3147 U.S. or $4185 Canadian. Big dollars!

Good luck to you, hope you have better luck than I.

I was hoping (silly me) that I could follow my heart on to the fantasy as well but here is what I came up with today.

Fantasy, 2Adults, Cat 7A, October 21st was $3606. Fantasy, 2 Adults, Cat 7A, October 28th was $3502.42. Neither had discounts or ins. or transfers.

I booked Oasis for October 22nd, 2 Adults, $2638.00 Canadian (using todays rate $1983.00 U.S.) and October 29th, same as 22nd, $2632.00 Canadian (using todays rate $1978.00 U.S.). Both sailings come with a Pop package already so no extra cost for that.

By booking with Oasis I have saved $3147 U.S. or $4185 Canadian. Big dollars!

Good luck to you, hope you have better luck than I.

What type of cabin did you book on the Oasis?

I like the Fantasy ports better, but do not have my hopes high. DH thinks it's crazy to pay more for less of a cabin (porthole vs balcony).....we shall see 2mrw.

What type of cabin did you book on the Oasis?

I like the Fantasy ports better, but do not have my hopes high. DH thinks it's crazy to pay more for less of a cabin (porthole vs balcony).....we shall see 2mrw.
This October we are sailing in a Central Park Balcony which I am very excited about. I know some don't think its a great spot but I can see myself on the veranda with a glass of wine listening to the soft music and the crickets at night (I romanticize, lol). The sailings for October 2017 are Boardwalk balconies, last one farthest back, so we will be able to view the ocean clearly as well as the boardwalk and the diving shows and movies on the big screen. These come with a pop package included. Again, not everyones cup of tea but I look forward to trying them out.

The reason I compared prices to a 7A on the fantasy is because 7A is the least desirable verandas and the cheapest so since not everyone would be thrilled with my choice I felt it would be the best way to compare. If you get a better veranda on the Fantasy the cost difference is only going to be larger.

Check back in and let us know what you decided.

This October we are sailing in a Central Park Balcony which I am very excited about. I know some don't think its a great spot but I can see myself on the veranda with a glass of wine listening to the soft music and the crickets at night (I romanticize, lol). The sailings for October 2017 are Boardwalk balconies, last one farthest back, so we will be able to view the ocean clearly as well as the boardwalk and the diving shows and movies on the big screen. These come with a pop package included. Again, not everyones cup of tea but I look forward to trying them out.

The reason I compared prices to a 7A on the fantasy is because 7A is the least desirable verandas and the cheapest so since not everyone would be thrilled with my choice I felt it would be the best way to compare. If you get a better veranda on the Fantasy the cost difference is only going to be larger.

Check back in and let us know what you decided.

TA emailed me at 5:11am....pretty much what I expected, Cat 8A $4786 for 2A/1C. Ouch. Today will be decision day as I have a 48hr hold.

I just booked the Allure for our Spring Break 2017! It was at least 1/2 of the cost of a balcony on DCL. I am waiting for the Fall '16 DCL cruises to go VGT so we can still cruise with them.

I just booked the Allure for our Spring Break 2017! It was at least 1/2 of the cost of a balcony on DCL. I am waiting for the Fall '16 DCL cruises to go VGT so we can still cruise with them.

What is VGT? (Sorry I'm very new to the cruising world, going on first ever 6/6). Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter