Just booked our first stay at BLT...what should we be most excited about?

ontdvc2015

Earning My Ears
So we are new DVC members (Jan 2015) and out first stay was at AKV in Sept. We loved it, and only did 1 day at MK, the rest of the time we just stayed around the resort. This time we are doing BLT in February and we have 5 day passes. I know BLT gets a lot of love from DVCers, but what should we be most excited about? What is everyone's favorite part? Any hidden gems about the place that I should know about?

7 months feels like a long ways away right now though.....

I know BLT gets a lot of love from DVCers, but what should we be most excited about? What is everyone's favorite part? Any hidden gems about the place that I should know about?

First and foremost, I would be most excited about the proximity to MK and the monorail transportation to EPCOT. After stayting at AKV (or most DVC resorts), the ease of getting to these two parks will be awesome!

Great views of MK and Bay Lake, Top of the World Lounge just upstairs and the amenities of the Contemporary Resort including one of the better counter service places in a resort. I'm not sure what more you need to get excited! :)

Many prefer the walkability to MK, others like the monorail access to other resorts like the Poly and GF. Those are just two of the reasons BLT is so popular. I have had one stay, this past April for three nights and enjoyed it. Honestly, to me the BLT is just a huge condo building. I didn't care for the décor. I would however, stay again, it just does not grab me like it does others.

7 minutes after leaving your room, you're at the MK gate. Nothing better than that!!
We had a lake view so we spent a lot of time just sitting on the balcony enjoying the view. Especially at night-you can see the water parade.

Last time we stayed there we had 4 generations in a 2 bedroom suite. GG could stay in the room and watch the nightly fireworks show in the MK (we had a MK view). The kids could take their young ones to the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks and walk back in a few minutes (no wait for a bus or monorail after the fireworks) and we could have dessert in the DVC lounge and watch the fireworks from there. Access to the monorail, the shops and restaurants at the Contemporary, very nice rooms, nice pool and a great staff make it one of our favorite places to stay.

It's funny about how people feel about the look of BLT. Like the Contemporary it has a modern and minimalistic look. I happen to just like it personally and really like the abstract Disney art in BLT rooms and throughout. I wonder if after staying there and having such a great time due to the location of BLT if people who weren't crazy about the look feel better about BLT and are glad they didn't just stay there due to not loving how it is decorated.

I have not stayed there yet, first time coming up in January. However, I have stayed at CR. I stayed at the Treehouse Villas at SSR in 2012 and when we were on the bus to MK I pointed over to BLT and told my traveling companions "next time I am staying there". The walk to MK and monorail access is my #1, I just loved being on the monorail loop. We are not doing parks the first day and being on the monorail means we can explore all 3 loop resorts and plan to watch the MK fireworks from ToTW. As well, I love the CR and BLT room design and just fell in love with the resort when I was there.

Hope you have a great time! We are just about to hit our 6-month window so I know how you feel, so close yet so far.

As others have said, the location is wonderful! We love the short walk to MK (especially at park closing), the monorail to Epcot, the monorail to the Poly and VGF to enjoy the restaurants etc. Extra bathrooms are a plus. Three bathrooms in the 2 bedroom villas really helps when you have a large group. Additionally, there are numerous places to view the fireworks at this hotel--your own room if MK view, the bridge from BLT to CR, the Top of the World Lounge Deck etc.

Great resort with lots of amenities, including lots of restaurants to choose from nearby. You can walk to The Contemporary, monorail to Poly or GF, boat to WL or FW to catch any of these eats. Walk to MK in 10 mins, great pool to hang around, monorail to Epcot(via a transfer), and overall just a wonderful place to lay your head down::yes::

BLT is our home resort. I don't care for the decor/design, but I love the location. Plenty of dining options are available on the monorail (Poly, GF, MK). The best part is twofold: 1 - After the fireworks at MK when everyone else is waiting in line for buses/monorail, you get to walk back to your room! 2 - Watching the fireworks from your balcony or the bridge/TOWL avoids the crowds completely!

First of all I love this thread, as it will be our first time staying at BLT this September. It has always been on our bucket list. Has anyone been their recently? What are the refurbishments that are being done? This is a fairly new resort, I'm surprised that this is happening already.

BLT is one of our home resort. Just stayed there again this June. Proximity to MK. Easy access to the monorail resorts for dining, shopping, or fireworks.
We also love the contemporary decor. Also love the views of MK or Lake.

We just LOVE BLT!!! In addition to everything already mentioned, you can easily get to any other resort or spot on Disney property by walking to the MK bus depot and hopping on the appropriate bus. I feel your excitement!! Enjoy!!

I didn't even think about the ease of resort hopping! That is one of my favorite things to do when we aren't at the parks! Only 6 months and 29 days to go.........

I am cheap so prefer the standard view - don't like the odd numbered rooms they face each other - so your privacy is limited in those rooms.

Love BLT mostly. Use to love it alot more - but some of new policies are not for me.

I am cheap so prefer the standard view - don't like the odd numbered rooms they face each other - so your privacy is limited in those rooms.

Love BLT mostly. Use to love it alot more - but some of new policies are not for me.

I wish BLT had sheer curtains, to help with privacy.

What new policies?

I didn't even think about the ease of resort hopping! That is one of my favorite things to do when we aren't at the parks! Only 6 months and 29 days to go.........

Resort hopping at Christmas time is even better. You get to see how each resort uniquely decorates their lobby. Really cool stuff!:santa:

I wish BLT had sheer curtains, to help with privacy.

What new policies?

if you leave the building at night - when I use to walk around the place - you now need to got to CR to get a bell hop to let you in the BLT building - really hate this one - could understand if it was a security guard - but a bell hop

you can only go to the deck (not even talking about the lounge) at TOWL between 5pm to 12am - midnight - so go up to see it at dawn or afternoon - only CM can do that. Well if members are paying for it we should be able to go there all the time. Now use to be able to go at any time - really miss this one.

you know they are doing a soft upgrade now - maybe sheer curtains are one thing they might be adding - they have gotten enough request about them.

if you leave the building at night - when I use to walk around the place - you now need to got to CR to get a bell hop to let you in the BLT building - really hate this one - could understand if it was a security guard - but a bell hop

you can only go to the deck (not even talking about the lounge) at TOWL between 5pm to 12am - midnight - so go up to see it at dawn or afternoon - only CM can do that. Well if members are paying for it we should be able to go there all the time. Now use to be able to go at any time - really miss this one.

you know they are doing a soft upgrade now - maybe sheer curtains are one thing they might be adding - they have gotten enough request about them.

Thanks for your response.
I didn't realize these changes had happened.

I would think they could program the Magic Bands to let guests back into the building at night. I agree it is silly to have to find a bell hop.

I had no idea we couldn't go up to the deck anytime now. That is disappointing. Yes it is great to view fireworks, but also nice at other times, like you mention.

I heard on another thread that all BLT villas except studios will get sheer curtains. I don't like that the studios aren't getting them, seeing we usually book a 2 bedroom lockoff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter