• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just booked RCI for $3k less than DCL

Tara619

Mouseketeer
We've only ever sailed DCL and have an OBB to use by 7/2/17. I was checking out DCL for 3/25-4/1/17 and it would've been about $5600 for the 3 of us. RCI on Freedom was $2600 (30% off and $100 OBC) and it's a balcony room vs oceanview on DCL for the same week and similar itineraries. I think we're now officially done with DCL, sadly. DH is a school principal and DS is in elementary, so we're limited to going during peak $$ times.

I've been trying to find info on checking in and booking excursions, shows, etc and am having a hard time. Is there a good FAQ for newbies somewhere?

I also booked directly on RC site, but it somehow automatically assigned Dreams Unlimited as my travel agent even though I never entered their info anywhere. Now the RC site won't let me view my reservation or do much of anything since it is a travel agent cruise. I'm fine with DU since we used them for our Disney cruises, but I have no idea how RC assigned them to my booking.

I get what you're saying. I SOO wanted to do DCL ( we've only ever cruised with Celebrity) but it was about 9000$ (Canadian) for all 5 of us for 8 days in 1 stateroom. We are going with RC on Anthem of the Seas, in 2 stateroom (connected) for 13 DAYS for 8500$ + 520$ OBC (Canadian as well) ... SO 1k less and 5 days more with RC, it was a no brainer for us

We've only ever sailed DCL and have an OBB to use by 7/2/17. I was checking out DCL for 3/25-4/1/17 and it would've been about $5600 for the 3 of us. RCI on Freedom was $2600 (30% off and $100 OBC) and it's a balcony room vs oceanview on DCL for the same week and similar itineraries. I think we're now officially done with DCL, sadly. DH is a school principal and DS is in elementary, so we're limited to going during peak $$ times.

I've been trying to find info on checking in and booking excursions, shows, etc and am having a hard time. Is there a good FAQ for newbies somewhere?

I also booked directly on RC site, but it somehow automatically assigned Dreams Unlimited as my travel agent even though I never entered their info anywhere. Now the RC site won't let me view my reservation or do much of anything since it is a travel agent cruise. I'm fine with DU since we used them for our Disney cruises, but I have no idea how RC assigned them to my booking.

That's really weird. I've never heard pf that happening.

try cruise critic dot com. good resource and each major line has its' own section. typically, you will not be able to do any reservations until much closer to sail date.. 30-45 days out.

do you have MTD or Set dining? My unsolicited advice: if you have MTD make reservations for the first night. the lines that day tend to be REAAAAAALLLLY long. after that you can either wing it or make reservations every day. we tend to make our next night's reservation as we exit the DR after dinner, although on occasion we have done so at lunchtime the day of.

sign your kid up the first day for the Kid's club. while not as froofy as Disney's many do enjoy it just as much.

If Freedom has the ice show, GO TO IT. (never sailed on her yet) the stage/production shows will otherwise NOT be on par with the Mouse. atlas not until you hit Oasis Class and Quantum Class.

cruise critic is an excellent source for RCL info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83
Online check-in opens 90 days out from the cruise date.
RCL's website has all the information on shore excursions at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=shore_excursions_main
Word of caution on booking excursions: Unlike Disney, RCL charges you when you book instead of once you board, so you might want to wait until you're onboard to book.
If you want to switch your booking back to yourself, you need to call DU and ask them. However, you will probably get some additional OBC from them, so I'd probably just stay with them for the cruise. Other than making payments, you can do everything else pre-cruise yourself on RCL's website.
Our two grandsons loved the kids clubs on Freedom - they actually preferred them to the kids clubs on Disney.
The ice show is outstanding, free, and you can book once onboard. There are also several "open skate" sessions throughout the week (they supply the skates - you just need to wear long pants and socks to skate.)
The stage shows are ho-hum, but the character (Madagascar) parade in the promenade is something to experience.

cruise critic is an excellent source for RCL info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83
Online check-in opens 90 days out from the cruise date.
RCL's website has all the information on shore excursions at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=shore_excursions_main
Word of caution on booking excursions: Unlike Disney, RCL charges you when you book instead of once you board, so you might want to wait until you're onboard to book.
If you want to switch your booking back to yourself, you need to call DU and ask them. However, you will probably get some additional OBC from them, so I'd probably just stay with them for the cruise. Other than making payments, you can do everything else pre-cruise yourself on RCL's website.
Our two grandsons loved the kids clubs on Freedom - they actually preferred them to the kids clubs on Disney.
The ice show is outstanding, free, and you can book once onboard. There are also several "open skate" sessions throughout the week (they supply the skates - you just need to wear long pants and socks to skate.)
The stage shows are ho-hum, but the character (Madagascar) parade in the promenade is something to experience.

We are thinking of doing RCL for Alaska as well, glad to hear it's a good expriance

We are trying RCI in May, haven't sailed with them before. I kept checking their site for the ability to book dining and shows and was able to do so about a month ago, before our final payment was due (and paid). My TA was surprised that they would allow it. I don't know if this was a glitch, or a fluke but either way i could do it :)

We are trying RCI in May, haven't sailed with them before. I kept checking their site for the ability to book dining and shows and was able to do so about a month ago, before our final payment was due (and paid). My TA was surprised that they would allow it. I don't know if this was a glitch, or a fluke but either way i could do it :)
Not a glitch. Other than paying for the cruise, you can manage everything yourself on RCL's site if you want to or you can have your TA do it for you.

We cruised with DCL 8 times and gave up this past year and sailed on the Freedom 1/3/16...we LOVED it. I wrote about it on this site, please check it out! They are so much cheaper compared to Disney. I love Disney, will always love Disney, but am not willing to spend that kind of money for a vacation! We priced out a cruise while on RCL for next January...we are getting a suite on RCL and will be saving more money than I could even imagine. I never imagined we would be able to afford to go during a holiday week! I am sure you are going to have an amazing vacation! :yay:

Thanks everyone! I've compared the two for our past cruises and the difference was always around $1,000 which I could usually make up with getting discounted gift cards, etc. so I was blown away when the price difference this time was so huge. I'm glad everyone has had good experiences with Freedom. We're so excited to try something new!

You will love the Freedom! Echo seeing the ice show and the parade, we also really enjoyed our character meal on Oasis (I can't remember if Freedom had one as we did that trip without DD)
You will be able to go onto RC's site and book all your excursions- I liked that they were pre-paid personally. Staying with DU should give you some OBC so you may just want to stay with them.
We preferred the food on Oasis/Freedom to the Fantasy, as we did find the food a bit bland (good though) on Fantasy.
DD loved the clubs on royal, she found them really personal and enjoyed the activities.
You will have a great time :)
We won't be cruising again till maybe 2017 and will more than likely be on Royal (or possibly NCL on one of their newer ships) as with the exchange rate, and the extra costs, us Canadians are really suffering with Disney costs. If the difference was small, I would be DCL all the way, but when it gets into the 1000s, just can't justify, we'd rather have another vacation, or a week at at Disney park sort of thing.

We booked a RCI cruise last year on their web site and Cruise.com became our TA. Never did figure out why but it all worked out fine.

Not surprised. When we did our booking DCL Fantasy was $2000 more than Royal Allure. But with today's awful exchange rate it is more like $3000 difference.

Last year I booked my first RCL (my cruise departs in less than two weeks) and for the price I paid for a 12 day RCL was less than a Disney 7 day cruise. Although I am surprised by the cost savings I am far from being done with DCL because I still have a place holder for a Disney Cruise which I plan on taking in 2017 and I will most likely keep DCL as go-to cruiseline.

I have been addicted to RCL lately. I have been on 4 in the last 15 months and have 3 more booked in the next 12. I love that I can book & pay in CAD and still get a great price for a great vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter