Just curious-ECV in room or hallway?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I was just wondering where people left their ECVs overnight. On our first trip, I always brought it into the room, I only left it outside if DH was leaving before me. Then I'd get up with him, and put it in the hall right next to our room. That's because it was a 2-person job to get my ECV out of the room (maybe it was my first ECV experience-I was a "rookie"). However, on this last trip to OKW, I noticed a plug right outside the room, so I sometimes left the ECV outside (after checking the weather report-it was covered but wind could blow in some rain). Besides, OKW has a small step up at the villa door, and it just didn't feel comfortable sometimes, bumping up that rise. DH was convinced we were really taking a chance and should always bring the ECV into our villa. Which way do most people do it?

Over night I bring it into the room. If going back to the room for a mid day break I will leave it outside.

Always bring my mom's into room, just don't feel comfortable leaving outside.

Just a little thing that we do bring for when my mom is going to meet the rest of us at Epcot or the pool, we bring a door stop wedge so she can put it under the door to prop it open, drives her scooter out and then drops it back into the room right before she leaves to join us.

When I stayed at CBR I took it in the room at night with 3 adults and a child it was a tight squeeze. When I stayed at WL when I picked it up at bell services they told me there were outlets by every room in the hall. They only thing was to check for any other ecvs and park on the same side of the hall so housekeeping could get through.

I was just wondering where people left their ECVs overnight. On our first trip, I always brought it into the room, I only left it outside if DH was leaving before me. Then I'd get up with him, and put it in the hall right next to our room. That's because it was a 2-person job to get my ECV out of the room (maybe it was my first ECV experience-I was a "rookie"). However, on this last trip to OKW, I noticed a plug right outside the room, so I sometimes left the ECV outside (after checking the weather report-it was covered but wind could blow in some rain). Besides, OKW has a small step up at the villa door, and it just didn't feel comfortable sometimes, bumping up that rise. DH was convinced we were really taking a chance and should always bring the ECV into our villa. Which way do most people do it?
please do not leave it in the hall way someone left there ECV in the hall way and I could not get in my room ( if you do make sure people can get around it very easy) and not only do you have people bring in there things ( checking it at all hour of the day and night) but you may also have EMS needed to get to a room and the time it take them to move your ECV could be someone life. so please do not leave them in the hall way.

ROOM.

ALWAYS THE ROOM.

Why? Here's just a few reasons:

- that's your *legs* while you are at WDW. Those "legs" cost thousands of dollars to replace. Are you prepared to pay the vendor for any damages that could occur because you left it outside? I own my ECVs, and I would *never* leave one out in the hallway, especially overnight.
- CMs can, and do routinely move scooters that are left parked in places that could cause the Fire Marshall to have a fit. That includes walkways, sidewalks, breezeways, and halls at Resorts.
- Hallways at WL (and other Deluxes) are relatively nice and wide - but I have seen people park their rentals far enough away from the wall that they *are* blocking the hallways. They should have moved the scooter as close to the wall as possible, but apparently they could not be bothered. Their inattentiveness caused traffic issues in that hallway, and the result was that a lot of other Guests who don't use scooters got a bad impression of those of us who do.
- Finally, all rooms at WDW that face an outside walkway/sidewalk/breezeway (not an indoors hall) will have that high threshold that you have to "bump" over. That's there to help keep critters out of your room, as well as rainwater. Every room - including every accessible room we have ever rented - that opens to the outside world at WDW has those high sills. I have a family member precede me and hold the door fully open, and then I line up to go straight through the door, and just bumpbump and I am over, and in (or out of) the room.

That equipment is yours to care for, for the duration of the rental. It needs to be, should be, under your control, in your room. If for some reason you just can't have it in your room, then work directly with the front desk (go TO the front desk - don't call from the room, because you will get the Call Center, and NOT the front desk) to find an alternate place to park the scooter overnight - or ask that the table and chairs be removed from your room for the duration of your stay.

Last edited:

I always bring mine inside because it is mine. I paid for it. If it gets stolen, I would have to buy another.
I have also witnessed bratty kids who think they are funny come along and unplug an ECV. You expect it to be charged but it's not because someone messed with it!

All of that said, there aren't any rules stating it must be taken in the room. You are allowed to leave them in the hallway of the hotel. But please as a courtesy to all, put it parallel and as close to the wall as possible if you feel you need to leave it outside of your room.

When I stayed at WL when I picked it up at bell services they told me there were outlets by every room in the hall. They only thing was to check for any other ecvs and park on the same side of the hall so housekeeping could get through.

All of that said, there aren't any rules stating it must be taken in the room. You are allowed to leave them in the hallway of the hotel. But please as a courtesy to all, put it parallel and as close to the wall as possible if you feel you need to leave it outside of your room.

I would think the fire codes would have something to say about leaving large equipment out in the hallways. Could get very dangerous during an evacuation.

I would think the fire codes would have something to say about leaving large equipment out in the hallways. Could get very dangerous during an evacuation.

It's not against fire codes. If anything, those GIGANTIC housekeeping carts should be against fire code. Those things are HUGE, and in most cases impossible to see around.

We had a room next to a sidewalk hog at All Star Music. She left her scooter on the walkway constantly!!!

I had my rented scooter in the room. When we would leave the room for short trips around the resort - I took my rollator. Unfortunately - she left me with only two choices - take the walker down in the dirt, or take the long way around. Her scooter was blocking the walkway!

I asked at the front desk. They expect guests to keep scooters IN THE ROOM. They asked her to bring it inside. She did - when she felt like it!!!

So - yes - we are expected to keep our ECVs in the room.

Thanks for listening!

We had a room next to a sidewalk hog at All Star Music. She left her scooter on the walkway constantly!!!

I had my rented scooter in the room. When we would leave the room for short trips around the resort - I took my rollator. Unfortunately - she left me with only two choices - take the walker down in the dirt, or take the long way around. Her scooter was blocking the walkway!

I asked at the front desk. They expect guests to keep scooters IN THE ROOM. They asked her to bring it inside. She did - when she felt like it!!!

So - yes - we are expected to keep our ECVs in the room.

Thanks for listening!
I have had a hard time getting in my room because if an ECV ( and I do not need a mobility device) I too wish people would leave them in there rooms. So I can see you having a hard time getting around it.

Always in the room but it is hard to open the door and get in or out if you are alone. Those doors are heavy and big. Luckily Of have someone to help me usually. I park it right by

Thanks! Looks like I've been correct by bringing it in the room, but I was wondering. Lots of good reasoning here.

It's not against fire codes. If anything, those GIGANTIC housekeeping carts should be against fire code. Those things are HUGE, and in most cases impossible to see around.

The carts are attended to - the housekeepers move them along the areas that are being cleaned, then put them away at the end of shift. The carts are not battery operated and needing a key to move them. They are not cleaning rooms in the middle of the night either. If everyone with an ECV left it out in the hall and there was a fire - imagine people trying to get around them!

The carts are attended to - the housekeepers move them along the areas that are being cleaned, then put them away at the end of shift. The carts are not battery operated and needing a key to move them. They are not cleaning rooms in the middle of the night either. If everyone with an ECV left it out in the hall and there was a fire - imagine people trying to get around them!
I do agree with you but you do not need a key to move an ECV you just have to pull/ slid a leaver to put it in manual mood. but yes I too think ECV are more annoying then the carts as most of the time Housekeeper keep the carts close to the door they are cleaning. ( this is not only so they can get things easey but all so keep other guest out of your room. and Disney has a protacal on what house keepers do with there carts in case of a fire ( imagine that) I had a some one in one of my classes do the DCP and she got house keeper ( it has been about 5 or so years, but I would imagine it was still the same)

According to section 4.3.3 of the ADA, the minimum clear width of an accessible hallway route must be 36 inches.

1003.3 of the ICC states that no free standing object can reduce the width of the corridor for egress.

There's a whole bunch of fancy-talk info that states how the width of a corridor cannot be blocked, etc. Here's one link:

http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/fr...afety Requirements for Existing Buildings.pdf

In the resorts section, in the Polynesian thread I asked people about the amount of room I would have for the evc in our standard villas. Everyone that responded in that thread said the hallways were extra wide and to leave it out there, plugged in and take the key. I don't know if their hallways are wider than other resorts but the response I got was unanimous.

According to section 4.3.3 of the ADA, the minimum clear width of an accessible hallway route must be 36 inches.

1003.3 of the ICC states that no free standing object can reduce the width of the corridor for egress.

There's a whole bunch of fancy-talk info that states how the width of a corridor cannot be blocked, etc. Here's one link:

http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_resources/Oregon/10_Fire/10_PDFs/Chapter 46_Fire and Lvvife Safety Requirements for Existing Buildings.pdf[/QUOScreenshot_2017-02-05-03-48-13-1-1.jpg TE]

Uh, you are quoting Oregon fire code. WDW is in Florida. This is irrelevant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter