Just found out about Rider Swap change to digital returns

You obviously feel differently and apparently much stronger about this than I do . I was just bummed for the kids and was explaining why . I’m not throwing a fit or demanding things be different . I think Disney let things slide for so long for the reasons I stated . You are kinda of being a jerk about it all . Seems a bit unnecessary.

unQUOTE="Lilsia, post: 60216226, member: 618271"]Life is unfair. If your family dynamic is that you have 2 older kids and then decided to have another one, well that kid did not just pop up on the way to WDW. You all KNEW that there will be things that the little one will not be able to do. We decided to stop having kids after 2 for a number of reasons, one of which was the issue with travelling with that extra person. So your family should get the bonus of an extra FP because you chose to have that 3rd kid? And your older kids are not missing out on anything because they have a rider swap, one kids can go at a time on mine train with one adult and then the adult can switch and ride with the other child. Just like every other family does. Or you just plain miss out on things. Big deal, so does every other family.[/QUOTE]

You obviously feel differently and apparently much stronger about this than I do . I was just bummed for the kids and was explaining why . I’m not throwing a fit or demanding things be different . I think Disney let things slide for so long for the reasons I stated . You are kinda of being a jerk about it all . Seems a bit unnecessary.

unQUOTE="Lilsia, post: 60216226, member: 618271"]Life is unfair. If your family dynamic is that you have 2 older kids and then decided to have another one, well that kid did not just pop up on the way to WDW. You all KNEW that there will be things that the little one will not be able to do. We decided to stop having kids after 2 for a number of reasons, one of which was the issue with travelling with that extra person. So your family should get the bonus of an extra FP because you chose to have that 3rd kid? And your older kids are not missing out on anything because they have a rider swap, one kids can go at a time on mine train with one adult and then the adult can switch and ride with the other child. Just like every other family does. Or you just plain miss out on things. Big deal, so does every other family.
[/QUOTE]

I just hate it when other parents seem to think that because they have kids that they somehow deserve some kind of break, or deal, or special treatment. Most of us have kids and go along in this life doing things just like everyone else without trying to use our kids as some kind of excuse for getting special compensation. They need to go back to the old way of child swap and have everyone go through the line and then swap at the exit. They tried to be nice and let the other adult and child go do something else so that they did not have to wait in line and it has turned into a give a mouse a cookie situation. The more you give people, the less happy they are.

My biggest issue with everyone needing a FP is that for our family it basically leaves the non-rider with a wasted FP. For us, my 4yo DD may not be 40inches when we go this summer. So if we wanted to do Splash mountain using FP and rider swap and they require all riders to have a FP, then what happens to her FP? In the past I would make myself and her a FP to go on something else while the others ride the ride. If I need a splash FP too and she’s too young to go on something alone it basically wastes her FP.

My biggest issue with everyone needing a FP is that for our family it basically leaves the non-rider with a wasted FP. For us, my 4yo DD may not be 40inches when we go this summer. So if we wanted to do Splash mountain using FP and rider swap and they require all riders to have a FP, then what happens to her FP? In the past I would make myself and her a FP to go on something else while the others ride the ride. If I need a splash FP too and she’s too young to go on something alone it basically wastes her FP.

You have the choice to book her and another rider 14 or older a FP for another attraction, or book FP's for rides everyone can go on. The same as any other family who does not qualify for a rider swap and has a member of their party who can or will not go on an attraction.

DS 11 is tall enough to ride Space Mountain but prior to our last trip, chose not to. My choices were to either let someone else in our party use his FP to ride twice, OR to get him and another person (usually me, sometimes DH or his sister) an FP for another attraction.

Life is unfair. If your family dynamic is that you have 2 older kids and then decided to have another one, well that kid did not just pop up on the way to WDW. You all KNEW that there will be things that the little one will not be able to do. We decided to stop having kids after 2 for a number of reasons, one of which was the issue with travelling with that extra person. So your family should get the bonus of an extra FP because you chose to have that 3rd kid? And your older kids are not missing out on anything because they have a rider swap, one kids can go at a time on mine train with one adult and then the adult can switch and ride with the other child. Just like every other family does. Or you just plain miss out on things. Big deal, so does every other family.
yikes! I think this is a little harsh considering Disney is geared towards children. If everyone only had one or 2 kids they wouldn’t be raking in nearly as much money, now would they. We have 5 children and are paying for 2 adjoining rooms and if I have to stay with the baby while everyone else rides space mountain then I don’t see why Disney shouldn’t give me a free pass plus one more so that I can ride space mountain with at least one of my older kids. It’s about the magic and the experience and a waiting parent should be able to enjoy the experience with their older children as well. If we rife only what the baby could ride, our teens would be missing everything. You can’t exiect a 15 year old boy to be happy on just the baby rides for 5 days.

Furthermore, looking at it from purely a money/business angle. Therecwas jevrr enough time for the waiting parent to go on something else while waiting so I always waited then when my Husband and the other kids got off, they waited for me too. No one rode another ride while waiting. Considering that, no one is really getting double anything. People who aren’t having to wait are riding twice the amount of rides as those who wait and use Rider swap. So giving a family 2 free passes actually “evens the score” so to speak. And I’m not the type of mom who insists everyone should have to listen to my screaming child on a plane or in a restaurant etc. i do my best to not burden people, but this isn’t really a freebie at all if you really think about it from a business/financial perspective for 2 reasons: 1) the riderswap families are actually riding/using the rides less than a family who doesn’t need riderswap. And it would not be in Disney’s best interests to stop considering/accommodating the daily juggling act of families with young children. Giving the waiting parent 2 “free” Fastpasses is a nice way to say thanks for procreating and keeping us in business, and yeh, we get it. We get it that it takes you twice as long to do everything - go to bathroom and walk and eat since you’re dragging around that baby and toddler.! And yeh, we get it, it stinks nkt being able ride with all of your family, so here’s how we can help- we will give you and another member of your fam a free Fastpass so you can ride right after your family gets off the ride.[/QUOTE]

All of my kids are too big for RS now but next trip will be with our best friends and their little ones.

The only thing I find annoying about the new system, is that the there doesn't seem to be enough time for the "none rider" to get to do anything. Last trip I can remember doing standby of the Pooh ride while DH and the big kids did SDMT. I may not have been back in the allowed time window. The poor little kids don't get to do the ride and don't get to do anything else either.

You have the choice to book her and another rider 14 or older a FP for another attraction, or book FP's for rides everyone can go on. The same as any other family who does not qualify for a rider swap and has a member of their party who can or will not go on an attraction.

DS 11 is tall enough to ride Space Mountain but prior to our last trip, chose not to. My choices were to either let someone else in our party use his FP to ride twice, OR to get him and another person (usually me, sometimes DH or his sister) an FP for another attraction.

^ what she is saying is that the other "14 and older" party is already riding a ride... so now, she has to wait and not ride while the other people are riding. This is what I was going to try and do- make (space mountain )FP for 3 of us for one ride/get a RS and then get FP for the other 3 with baby for another and ride (winnie the pooh) he can ride. Then we can ride the one we missed and hubs can take the baby and other kids on that ride.
Honestly, I am getting so confused by how we are going to work this with a family of 6. If hubby takes 2 kids and I take 2 we will just have to rotate who "waits" with me and the baby in group 2 and IF we can get on a ride with short lines, we will do that.

I hope the lines are short enough in March to do this! I also have to think ahead for RS rides/family rides so we don't get burned out all waiting for each other.

^ what she is saying is that the other "14 and older" party is already riding a ride... so now, she has to wait and not ride while the other people are riding. This is what I was going to try and do- make (space mountain )FP for 3 of us for one ride/get a RS and then get FP for the other 3 with baby for another and ride (winnie the pooh) he can ride. Then we can ride the one we missed and hubs can take the baby and other kids on that ride.
Honestly, I am getting so confused by how we are going to work this with a family of 6. If hubby takes 2 kids and I take 2 we will just have to rotate who "waits" with me and the baby in group 2 and IF we can get on a ride with short lines, we will do that.

I hope the lines are short enough in March to do this! I also have to think ahead for RS rides/family rides so we don't get burned out all waiting for each other.
Yes and what I am saying is that someone 14 or older can instead use an FP to ride something else with the 4yo (which means not going on Splash Mountain in the example given) so they would not already be on a ride. Yes, this means not everyone will be getting on Splash Mountain but the alternative is to “essentially waste” the 4 year old’s FP (which doesn’t have to be the case, if someone misses Splash Mountain and rides the other ride with the 4 yo). Plenty of things you can take a 4yo on that have FP.

Yes and what I am saying is that someone 14 or older can instead use an FP to ride something else with the 4yo (which means not going on Splash Mountain in the example given) so they would not already be on a ride. Yes, this means not everyone will be getting on Splash Mountain but the alternative is to “essentially waste” the 4 year old’s FP (which doesn’t have to be the case, if someone misses Splash Mountain and rides the other ride with the 4 yo). Plenty of things you can take a 4yo on that have FP.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding... that is literally what she said she did in the past- took the 4yo on a ride with a FP while the others "rode splash mountain", then she was able to ride splash mountain while the others hung out with the 4yo, maybe got a popcorn, etc. NOW- she said there is not enough time to ride a non FP ride with the 4YO because she can't use her FP along with the 4yo because her FP was needed to also get a RS. I agree- that is just silly. It also means that in my case, we would have to just alternate FP with group 1 and 2 because in order to use RS, we all need a FP- so we basically sit there waiting to use our FP/RS, or try to possibly ride something standby in the hopes that there is enough time to make it back.

I don't think RS should have a time limit! That makes is so much easier. For example, our Group 1 could ride FP while group 2 got a RS and rode something else. Then we could ride something as a family together, and then use the RS later when we wanted. :( So much easier than having a "return by time". This is one area that the paper RS were much better IMO

Or you can do the "adult thing" and just get a FP to match hers and both ride something she can ride and will enjoy. Then switch the next time and the other adult takes the under 40 to ride with his/her fp and the younger childs and you do the "thrill ride" with the others. We did this often and spending 1-1 time on PP was a joy worth giving up my turn on BTMR for example.

It may help to keep in mind that rider swap is intended as a way to eliminate a double wait for families that can't ride together.
It is a courtesy; not an an extra FP or planning strategy. They allow additional riders (used to be 1 before paper/digital) only so that the second parent/adult doesn't have to ride alone not as a perk for having a younger sibling.

Before FP everyone waited the standby line and parents switched at the exit, since most rides were 2 seaters they allowed another member of the party to join so the parent didn't have to sit alone.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding... that is literally what she said she did in the past- took the 4yo on a ride with a FP while the others "rode splash mountain", then she was able to ride splash mountain while the others hung out with the 4yo, maybe got a popcorn, etc. NOW- she said there is not enough time to ride a non FP ride with the 4YO because she can't use her FP along with the 4yo because her FP was needed to also get a RS. I agree- that is just silly. It also means that in my case, we would have to just alternate FP with group 1 and 2 because in order to use RS, we all need a FP- so we basically sit there waiting to use our FP/RS, or try to possibly ride something standby in the hopes that there is enough time to make it back.

I don't think RS should have a time limit! That makes is so much easier. For example, our Group 1 could ride FP while group 2 got a RS and rode something else. Then we could ride something as a family together, and then use the RS later when we wanted. :( So much easier than having a "return by time". This is one area that the paper RS were much better IMO

She stated that it "basically leaves the non-rider with a wasted FP." It does not. Get the non-rider and another person an FP for a different attraction. No waste.
I don't see why RS shouldn't have a time limit. Every time we used it, we had enough time for the first party to ride, and then for the second party to ride, which is how RS is supposed to work. If the first half of your party was going to wait in the standby line, it might be enough time to take the non-rider to another attraction. For instance, if half the party is going to wait standby at FoP, that's 2 hours and I'm sure they'd give you a little longer than that. But, if the first half of the party is riding with FP then the time given is much shorter and the 2 parties can ride back-to-back with maybe a 10-15 minute wait. Great time for a drink or a potty break!

Or you can do the "adult thing" and just get a FP to match hers and both ride something she can ride and will enjoy. Then switch the next time and the other adult takes the under 40 to ride with his/her fp and the younger childs and you do the "thrill ride" with the others. We did this often and spending 1-1 time on PP was a joy worth giving up my turn on BTMR for example.

It may help to keep in mind that rider swap is intended as a way to eliminate a double wait for families that can't ride together.
It is a courtesy; not an an extra FP or planning strategy. They allow additional riders (used to be 1 before paper/digital) only so that the second parent/adult doesn't have to ride alone not as a perk for having a younger sibling.

Before FP everyone waited the standby line and parents switched at the exit, since most rides were 2 seaters they allowed another member of the party to join so the parent didn't have to sit alone.

Yes! We managed to do this just fine on our last trip. Sometimes bringing your kids to Disney means you can't go on every attraction. We are going in May and it's just me, DH, and 2 yo. There won't be anyone to sit with 2 yo if DH and I are on a ride, and so we've had to plan our rides accordingly. If one of us wants to go on something 2 yo can't go on, we will have to ride alone. That's life. Disney doesn't owe us a solution to this, there are plenty of rides I can FP that we can all go on, or I can FP rides that DH and I would each have to ride alone. That's life.

You could use the 4 year olds FP to stagger FP and then not have to worry about rider swap. Depending on how big the family is.
Once our little ones were old enough for tickets but not tall enough for rides, that was sometimes easier for us than messing with Rider Swap.
Example: Soarin' Mom and older child have FP at 9:30-10:30
Dad and too short child have FP at 10:30-11

Mom and older child ride Soarin' Dad rides Living with the Land with younger child. Then older child and younger child swap Magic Bands and Dad and older child ride again.

We did this as well sometimes. For instance, I took older son on BTMRR and DH took older son on Space Mountain (so DH didn't do BTMRR that trip and I didn't do Space that trip). For us, even under the old rules, taking time to do child swap and get back to a ride was kind of a pain.

One trip, we also did where DH took the little ones to the arcade and I took older DS to Star Wars Fireworks and EMH at DHS. Then another day, I took the little ones to a character breakfast and DH did an activity with the older one.

I have been taking my kids since my oldest was 3. We have always had FPs for everyone in the group, we never used double FPs and if people were, then I am glad that WDW is putting an end to that practice!

yikes! I think this is a little harsh considering Disney is geared towards children. If everyone only had one or 2 kids they wouldn’t be raking in nearly as much money, now would they. We have 5 children and are paying for 2 adjoining rooms and if I have to stay with the baby while everyone else rides space mountain then I don’t see why Disney shouldn’t give me a free pass plus one more so that I can ride space mountain with at least one of my older kids. It’s about the magic and the experience and a waiting parent should be able to enjoy the experience with their older children as well. If we rife only what the baby could ride, our teens would be missing everything. You can’t exiect a 15 year old boy to be happy on just the baby rides for 5 days.

1. Disney is not geared to children, it has something for everyone.
2. RS is still a thing and works fine. Its for swapping so everyone able to ride can ride. It was never intended for you to go do something else, double up on FP, or be a reward/compensation.

Furthermore, looking at it from purely a money/business angle. Therecwas jevrr enough time for the waiting parent to go on something else while waiting so I always waited then when my Husband and the other kids got off, they waited for me too. No one rode another ride while waiting. Considering that, no one is really getting double anything. People who aren’t having to wait are riding twice the amount of rides as those who wait and use Rider swap. So giving a family 2 free passes actually “evens the score” so to speak. And I’m not the type of mom who insists everyone should have to listen to my screaming child on a plane or in a restaurant etc. i do my best to not burden people, but this isn’t really a freebie at all if you really think about it from a business/financial perspective for 2 reasons: 1) the riderswap families are actually riding/using the rides less than a family who doesn’t need riderswap. And it would not be in Disney’s best interests to stop considering/accommodating the daily juggling act of families with young children. Giving the waiting parent 2 “free” Fastpasses is a nice way to say thanks for procreating and keeping us in business, and yeh, we get it. We get it that it takes you twice as long to do everything - go to bathroom and walk and eat since you’re dragging around that baby and toddler.! And yeh, we get it, it stinks nkt being able ride with all of your family, so here’s how we can help- we will give you and another member of your fam a free Fastpass so you can ride right after your family gets off the ride.
[/QUOTE]

They are not free FPs. Go to another park that offers RS sometime, you will often find that you are expected to wait right in the load/unload area after taking the smaller child all the way through the line.

1. Disney is not geared to children, it has something for everyone.
2. RS is still a thing and works fine. Its for swapping so everyone able to ride can ride. It was never intended for you to go do something else, double up on FP, or be a reward/compensation.

They are not free FPs. Go to another park that offers RS sometime, you will often find that you are expected to wait right in the load/unload area after taking the smaller child all the way through the line.[/QUOTE]

I heard this was the way it was years ago. Part of me thinks it is better because my family could chat in line and stay together, then we just ride/swap/ride and leave. I don't know if it would work better or not. I just like the idea of only going through the line once ha.

She stated that it "basically leaves the non-rider with a wasted FP." It does not. Get the non-rider and another person an FP for a different attraction. No waste.
I don't see why RS shouldn't have a time limit. Every time we used it, we had enough time for the first party to ride, and then for the second party to ride, which is how RS is supposed to work. If the first half of your party was going to wait in the standby line, it might be enough time to take the non-rider to another attraction. For instance, if half the party is going to wait standby at FoP, that's 2 hours and I'm sure they'd give you a little longer than that. But, if the first half of the party is riding with FP then the time given is much shorter and the 2 parties can ride back-to-back with maybe a 10-15 minute wait. Great time for a drink or a potty break!

If I understand correctly- that no longer will work because in order to use the RS behind group A that is using their FP, you ALSO have to have FP for group B to get a RS... If the first party is riding standby, this is negated...but if the party is FP and the second party (ie, the mom) wants to get a RS, she needs a FP as well and since you can't have two FP at the same time (right?) she can't schedule one for her and her 4yo for another ride. I would assume it would need to be at the same time?

ARGH I am just going to make staggered FPs for group A and group B and keep it simple.

If I understand correctly- that no longer will work because in order to use the RS behind group A that is using their FP, you ALSO have to have FP for group B to get a RS... If the first party is riding standby, this is negated...but if the party is FP and the second party (ie, the mom) wants to get a RS, she needs a FP as well and since you can't have two FP at the same time (right?) she can't schedule one for her and her 4yo for another ride. I would assume it would need to be at the same time?

ARGH I am just going to make staggered FPs for group A and group B and keep it simple.

Right .....what was suggested is that one adult uses their FP to accompany the too short child on a non height restricted ride instead of the height restricted ride to avoid "wasting" the non riders FP. Then on another height restricted ride maybe the other adult does the same.

Yes mom and dad don't get to ride everything but each gets 1-1 time with the child who doesn't meet the height restriction and eliminates the issue of the 'wasted fp".

Alternately everyone gets the FP and then the RS and the younger child just waits while two sets of riders ride / some twice. That to me seems more unfair and there is still a "wasted" fast pass.

She claimed that requiring everyone in the party to have FP in order to use RS in conjunction with FP is forcing her to waste her 4 year old's FP.
Her 4 year old's FP is only wasted if she books it for something she knows her 4 yo can't ride (in order to game the system and book half her party an FP for one attraction and half of her party an FP for another attraction and use RS to get those without an FP onto the rides as the second party).

So, my point is that her daughter's FP is actually wasted in her scenario because her 4 yo can't actually go on either attraction. If she were truly concerned about the "wasted FP" she would book an FP for an attraction her 4 yo can go on (and yes, that may mean that another adult in the party misses out as well in order to take the 4 yo on that attraction). For example, if DH and I are there with our 2 yo and he can't go on something, then I either book FP for something we can all go on, or I book an FP for DH to go on something by himself while I wait with 2 yo (or vice versa) but that means one of us then can't go on that attraction.

You can stagger your FP if you want, but that is the loophole Disney is trying to close. Enforcement is inconsistent right now, but that could change at any time. When we were there in August, we all had to have FP in order to use RS in conjunction with FP. This was at several attractions over several days. Consistently, they scanned one magic band and could tell me "three of you have FP" or "six of you have FP" and the only time that did not happen was if party A was not using FP but instead waiting in the standby line. We were in line behind several parties who held up the entire line arguing with the CM about this as well and it was beyond irritating. For those who are so concerned about the children, I can't understand how using your child's FP for something you know they can't go on and saying that not being able to use it as part of a scheme in conjunction with RS is what's wasting it, or ruining it for the child. Just like many things, if it continues to be a problem, Disney will remove it completely.

Right .....what was suggested is that one adult uses their FP to accompany the too short child on a non height restricted ride instead of the height restricted ride to avoid "wasting" the non riders FP. Then on another height restricted ride maybe the other adult does the same.

Yes mom and dad don't get to ride everything but each gets 1-1 time with the child who doesn't meet the height restriction and eliminates the issue of the 'wasted fp".

Alternately everyone gets the FP and then the RS and the younger child just waits while two sets of riders ride / some twice. That to me seems more unfair and there is still a "wasted" fast pass.
Exactly. We are going with 2 yo. He can't go on any coasters, DH would like to go during 2 yo's nap. I booked myself and 2 yo on 2 rides he can go on, and I booked DH on 2 coasters. Yes, that means I'm not going on the coasters. That's part of parenting. Another day, DH is booked on 2 things with 2 yo and I am booked on 2 things by myself. So, DH misses out or rides standby. Either way, 2 yo is not missing out- he's going on the attractions he's tall enough to go on. If he were 4 and did need a park ticket/ FP it would be the same. We've also done this with 11 yo who is tall enough to ride things but sometimes chooses not to. I will take him on something while DH takes 14 yo. So, DH and I don't get to ride both of those things but again, that's part of parenting.

I would not waste a FP by getting one for my kids that could not ride, that would be silly- in our case, the 2YO does not get a FP anyway, so it would not matter. She was saying that it is a waste to try and get her child a FP for Winnie the Pooh because she can't get one for herself and ride with them. So, yes- in that case...someone will not ride. For those that go to Disney every year, or every few years that may not be a big deal...but for the rest of us, we would like to share the experience of rides with older and younger kids.

I get that it is "closing a loophole" but I also have to book a campsite a year in advance because people book them as a throwaway room so they can get a 60day FP while staying offsite. When Disney fixes that, I'll be less inclined to pout a bit about it being a juggle to ride with all my kids in a logical fashion ;)
It really isn't that big of a deal... but I do want to ride all the rides, I am spending way too much money to miss out on some things that I like, so I'll just use the lines app to pick ride times that have a shorter standby wait and get a normal RS so no one feels that I am trying to beat the system. It is silly that a vacation needs so much planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter