Just got a phone call and email from not my guide

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
Is this a new Disney tactic?

Previously we were always contacted by our guide - and only when we initiated contact.

Now we are getting calls from someone who is not our guide, unprompted, and an email too just to discuss our membership and share some updates.

Has this been going on for a while, or is this part of DVC 2.0?

Previously we were always contacted by our guide - and only when we initiated contact.

Now we are getting calls from someone who is not our guide, unprompted, and an email too just to discuss our membership and share some updates.

I got a flurry of emails & a couple of calls from someone other than my guide around the time VDH opened, I assumed it was because I live on the west coast & thus was part of their target demographic - maybe DVC thinks you’re good for the cabins or Poly 🤷‍♀️.

I get updates…the typically ones…from my guide occasionally but he never initiates calls unless he has new info that I have requested.

The next one will be when he gets info regarding the tower.

My guess is their CRM system generated some leads and people are reaching out based on those leads.

Did you take the call, or let it go to voice mail?

I frequently get calls from people who say they have updated info for me. But that is a lead-in to them trying to "help me" get out of my timeshare. No affiliation with Disney/DVC.

Last time the person said they were collecting info about what people dislike about their timeshare. I said "Do you want to know the worst thing about owning my timeshare?" And they said, "Yes!" And I said, "It's getting calls from people like you." Then I hung up.

I think it's DVC 2.0.

I had the exact same thing happen in February (and trips booked to cover 2 MM (2/27 nd 3/1) and also a bunch of trips this spring and summer. Did not return any of them, but then when I was at WDW with my friend, stopped by the DVC booth while she was in the loo. There are newer/more junior guides who do an initial touch base if they see you have a trip coming up, etc. where before my guide used to do this.

I asked if my old guide was still there, and doing ok, wanted to make sure they weren't trying to "poach" his people, etc. Nope, all good - they said my guide was "legendary" and still doing fine, and I guess the newer DVC guides will be at the booths, making calls, etc functioning almost like PR/general client care. Not surprisingly, my guide called me the weekend after I got back to touch base. Turns out he is now senior enough that he spends a lot of time on the cruise ships and isn't always easy to reach, so some of that work is delegated to others. (BTW when I used to see his name come up on my phone I usually let it go to voice mail, and clearly I know how to reach him when I actually want something - like VGF points - so this new approach is fine with me)

I tried to ask a question about pricing at a DVC booth. Wow, it all had to go through my guide. The people in the booth were not guides, but could send a message to your guide to get back to you.

I've had a few guide changes since buying, maybe 5? Anyway, the newest guide in my lineup Ashley Kessler (sp) got back to me quickly enough but at an inopportune time, so I requested an email with the information. I got it fairly quickly a few days later.
I've seen a few routine emails from her and I feel if I need anything direct, she will be competent.

My first guide changed into a new Disney job before I actually bought. Next one was Karen Guyder. From info on Disboards I noticed she now works for our board sponsor (or did a while back as I haven't kept up). I can say she was excellent throughout my four direct contracts.

'If' I decide to buy a few resale points, I'll definitely give her a call.

We've had several guides over the years, but I will say that we've had an increase in the number of mailings, all related to new resorts or to new incentives, in the last year or two. They've all had the name of our current guide on them, though.

I received the same type email, along with a voice message from 'The DVC'. He mentioned a special limited time add-on promo only because of the upcoming resort stay. He reiterated that this is a limited time promo and they will not reach out to us again about it lol. I'm scared to call back... will the call set me back another 30k-40k 😱?

Last edited:
Last time the person said they were collecting info about what people dislike about their timeshare. I said "Do you want to know the worst thing about owning my timeshare?" And they said, "Yes!" And I said, "It's getting calls from people like you." Then I hung up.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:I'll have to remember that one!

We got this too. We were at wdw last week and before we left home we got a very long email and very long voice message about talking to the dvc reps when we arrive. Mentions of promo and how much we are appreciated lol. It was not our guide. We have NEVER been contacted by dvc before and we own a fair number of points. I showed it to dh and was like, wow, they must be hurting.

My wife got a call just before a DCL cruise. When she talked to the person, she said she was our new guide. Funny thing was I had just received an email from our DVC cruise guide, who requested to be our guide (never had a guide after COVID, as our original guide didn’t return), and we agreed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter