• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

just got back... experience with GAC

krismom

<font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color
Basically, I think if you already have a GAC and want to get it renewed, it's no problem. But... I had letters from my DS neurologist and psychologist... and was told at two different guest realations (MK and MGM) that they were only giving out cards for "Make a wish" kids and kids with terminal illnesses. I, of course, said that we had a GAC last year that I turned in at the end of the trip (stupid me) that helped my son immeasurably, but was given a stamp that said something about keeping our stroller with us on lines. This was really a non issue for him but I disn't want to argue it and ruin my trip. All in all, he did OK... but we were only in the parks for about 2 hours a day because he just couldn't take the crowds / heat. I guess I'll take him out school next time, even thougfh I hate to. Anyhow- I just wanted to share.
:sad2:

That is disappointing to read. I'm sorry that your trip was less than you hoped.
Wonder what I can do to avoid the same situation? DS has an appt. with neuropsychologist this week and we are going to discuss some things she should include in her letter. I'm sure you had all of that covered. I'm just thinking that I will likely have to pay OOP for the letter (I know you don't need one, but I want to take one and am willing to pay), but if they aren't going to accomodate...
Where is the best place to initially go to acquire GAC?

Sorry to hear about that.
I don't know what your letter said (so I'm not commenting on you), but I have heard that if you have a letter full of diagnosis and say, "I need a GAC because my child has xxxx condition", you are less likely to get a GAC. I also imagine they get a lot of "form type" letters where people are using the format that you can find on some other internet sites - basically, the "suggested format" says "My patient has xxxx and can't wait in line. Please extend whatever accomidation you can." I wouldn't be surprised if they get a hundred of those in a month and if you happened to come in right after they got a couple of those, you might get the "here we go again attitude" from the CMs.

The GAC is given to accomidate needs, so you really need to be able to verbalize what needs your child has related to the rides, queues, etc. and what might help. As was already mentioned, a letter is not required and they might not even want to see it. What is more important is that you can explain what the needs are (and realize that they may not be able to accomidate them all).

And, it's possible that you just happened to come in after they had a rough time or something and you were the recipient of the opposite of pixie dust.

OK--Now, I'm getting worried. So I shouldn't bring a letter?
I was thinking that the doctor's letter would state his dx (autism) and simply bullet needed accomodations.

All you would need is a blank sheet of paper (do it right out of your computer) which say something to the effect of:

"My son is Autistic, and I would prefer not to discuss his needs in his presence. Based on what I know about him, and have discussed with his doctors, he needs the following:"

Then provide a bulleted list.

You don't need to show this to the CM, but you can also use it as a memory aid for yourself, so you don't forget anything.

Another point is technically the Guest Services people both outside the parks as well as inside have the same training. However, I think the ones outside are more used to handling ticket problems and you will probably get a better response talking to one in the park.

mlwear said:
OK--Now, I'm getting worried. So I shouldn't bring a letter?
I was thinking that the doctor's letter would state his dx (autism) and simply bullet needed accomodations.
I don't want to get into a lot of detail about how to get a GAC, because I have received PMs and emails from people who wrote that there are people out there who might abuse the information (I've had emails from people who had friends or relatives who they know don't have children with special needs tell them that they used information they got from the internet to get a GAC). People who do that make it harder for people with legitimate needs to get a GAC.
But here's some information.
You don't need the letter, but if it makes you feel better to have it, go ahead. I might not show it to the CMs right away (or at all), especially if it looks like the "sample" letter.
What they really need is the know what the behaviors and the needs are. I'm a nurse, so I speak "doctor", but the CMs are lay people. I have overheard people trying to read a letter full of medical language that it was obvious they didn't understand themselves (one sounded very much like referrals that hospitals make when they discharge patients to nursing homes), so there was no way they could explain it to the CM. When the CM tried to find out what the person needed they couldn't really answer and just kept repeating the different diagnosis.

One of the other things I've heard, is that many times the accomidations asked for are either very vague (like the "extend whatever accomidations you are able") or they are very specific, but are things that are not possible (like "Please allow my patient to go directly on rides without waiting.") Sometimes doctors actually write orders for things like that on a prescription pad. That is not well received by CMs.

This is just my personal feeling, not speaking for WDW in any way, but if you want to make bullet points of accomidations, I would not list them as "needed accomidations" (that sounds to me like a demand and we are not in the driver's seat). Maybe more like "These are things we think would be helpful, if they are available." Keep in mind that the ADA uses the language "reasonable accomidations"; the perfect accomidations for your needs might not be available.

Also keep in mind that not everyone with a particular diagnosis needs a GAC. Maybe your child with autism has behaviors that make some accomidations important, but someone else with the same diagnosis might not.
I apologize for this being a little rambling, but I hope it at least makes sense.

I'm sorry you had a problem. In the future, ask to speak to a supervisor. We were there in May and had no problem getting a GAC. We only used it one time, but it's nice just having it in case of emergency. We get to the parks about 1/2 before opening to make sure we are not standing in lines. It really helps.
Don't let this discourage you from going to WDW in the future. I'm sure it was either an uninformed cm, or a cm having a bad day.
:flower:

SueM in MN said:
I don't want to get into a lot of detail about how to get a GAC, because I have received PMs and emails from people who wrote that there are people out there who might abuse the information (I've had emails from people who had friends or relatives who they know don't have children with special needs tell them that they used information they got from the internet to get a GAC). People who do that make it harder for people with legitimate needs to get a GAC.
But here's some information.
You don't need the letter, but if it makes you feel better to have it, go ahead. I might not show it to the CMs right away (or at all), especially if it looks like the "sample" letter.
What they really need is the know what the behaviors and the needs are. I'm a nurse, so I speak "doctor", but the CMs are lay people. I have overheard people trying to read a letter full of medical language that it was obvious they didn't understand themselves (one sounded very much like referrals that hospitals make when they discharge patients to nursing homes), so there was no way they could explain it to the CM. When the CM tried to find out what the person needed they couldn't really answer and just kept repeating the different diagnosis.

One of the other things I've heard, is that many times the accomidations asked for are either very vague (like the "extend whatever accomidations you are able") or they are very specific, but are things that are not possible (like "Please allow my patient to go directly on rides without waiting.") Sometimes doctors actually write orders for things like that on a prescription pad. That is not well received by CMs.

This is just my personal feeling, not speaking for WDW in any way, but if you want to make bullet points of accomidations, I would not list them as "needed accomidations" (that sounds to me like a demand and we are not in the driver's seat). Maybe more like "These are things we think would be helpful, if they are available." Keep in mind that the ADA uses the language "reasonable accomidations"; the perfect accomidations for your needs might not be available.

Also keep in mind that not everyone with a particular diagnosis needs a GAC. Maybe your child with autism has behaviors that make some accomidations important, but someone else with the same diagnosis might not.
I apologize for this being a little rambling, but I hope it at least makes sense.

When we have gone to Disney we had no problem getting our first GAC. Part of this may be that while I'm not noticably disabled, I use a service dog, augmentive speech device and use my own personal scooter 80% of the time I spend in the parks. We simply told them what my medical issues where and what things would be most helpful to us and my service dog. Since the first time, we go to guest relations had them the prior GAC and tell them we are back for yet another visit and could we have an updated one.

I'm curious if you went to Guest Relations inside the park or outside? When we were there in May we went to GR inside the MK and the CM was very helpful. I've read that the GR outside the parks may not be as helpful.

I think too that doctors sometimes will write out the notes and the person requesting the GAC doesn't really know that the letter is not going to be helpful. William's doctor offered to write a letter for him saying that it would give him front of the line access to rides. Of course I knew better but I didn't want to argue with her and gratefully accepted the letter because she was trying to help us out when I told her we were going to WDW in a few weeks. I didn't use the letter however. I'm just thinking that some folks are probably told by their doctor "take this letter and it's all you need" - certainly that is what W's doctor thought. :confused3 Perhaps a person not used to touring WDW or on their first trip wouldn't know what to ask for.

Anyway, I"m sorry it didn't work out for you. We did take our older son out of school in May so we could tour WDW in cooler weather with less crowds to help out the younger one (3 yrs old) who has the medical problems. My older one is in 2nd grade so I know that strategy won't work as he gets old and then they're both in school. It does make the trip more pleasant though!

bumpysheep said:
When we have gone to Disney we had no problem getting our first GAC. Part of this may be that while I'm not noticably disabled, I use a service dog, augmentive speech device and use my own personal scooter 80% of the time I spend in the parks.
I think you are an example of someone who is prepared to take care of their needs.
The rest of this post is sort of my "rant". I don't claim to be an expert on the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) or GACs, just an observant person who has been around a while......

One of the misconceptions some people have is that things like scooters, service dogs and augmentative speech devices, or a specific diagnosis qualify someone for a GAC and that the ADA guarantees this.
(There are not a lot of posts like that on this board, but you can find other places on the internet where that is the norm).

It is easier to explain/verify that you have invisible disabilities that require accommidation when you have some visible 'helping tools', but the tools or the diagnosis that goes along with them are not why someone gets a GAC. Many people who have those 'helps' don't need any accomidation, other than being able to use their helping tools.
Things like having accessible lines, wheelchairs/ecvs for rent in the parks, being able to bring a service animal and take care of it in the parks, curb cuts, interpreters, captioning, accessible transportation, Fastpass, shaded queues, queues that are inside air conditioned buildings are things WDW has provided to accomidate needs without a GAC.
Some of them (Fastpass, covered queues, air conditioning) are not there primarily for people with disabilities, but do help accomidate some people's special needs.
In a perfect world, there would be no need for GACs because all the needs would be already accomidated. In the case of WDW, some of the things people needed GACs or special treatment to get 15 years ago (like shaded lines, Mainstream queues and Fastpass that shortens the wait in line) are now just routine features of the park, so they are making progress.
bumpysheep said:
We simply told them what my medical issues where and what things would be most helpful to us and my service dog.
I think that's the most important part.
Those are the things the CM need to know. Most of them actually do want be helpful, but they need our help to help us. It is the responsibility of the guest to explain their needs and WDW's responsibility is to suggest ways to meet those needs.
One of the misconceptions people have about the ADA is that if they have a disability, all their needs related to it are required to be met. That's not the case. For example, just because someone needs to sit frequently doesn't mean that WDW has to provide a place to sit in each queue.
All the ADA requires is "reasonable accomidation" which (according to the ADA FAQs webpage) allows a "person with a disability to achieve the same level of performance and to enjoy benefits equal to those of an average, similarly situated person without a disability. However, the accommodation does not have to ensure equal results or provide exactly the same benefits."
(A lot of the ADA is actually about employment rights, so that's the language used. The part of the ADA link that talks about places like WDW is the Public Accomidations part and that talks mostly about physical accessibility).
Also the word 'reasonable' is important. For example, it is a reasonable accomidation for WDW to provide rental wheelchairs for people with endurance concerns. If people could, but choose not to use the provided accomidation, WDW is not required to provide other accomidation.
If the provided accomidation doesn't 'fit' the needs, it's the responsibility of the guest to explain why. WDW's responsibility would be to see if there are some other ways to 'reasonably' meet the needs. But, WDW is not required to give guests with disabilities better treatment than other guests, just equal (or as close to equal as possible).

My experience could not have gone smoother- On our first day (at Epcot), I took the 10 year old (who has CP) to GR inside the park. The two of us had some down time while everyone else rode Test Track and I wanted to get the GAC before it became necessary. She was not in her stroller at the time (she was in an electric scooter) but all I said was "She will be in a stroller sometime this week. Can I please have a pass that will allow us to use it as a wheelchair in the lines because she can not walk unassissted?"

That was it, two minutes, all smiles and it worked beautifully the few times we needed it. I am sorry you had trouble getting your needs met. :wizard:

Maybe I'll just have the dr. note, if I need it. Describe accomodations needed and if I have a problem, have the note available :confused3 I know my son needs to be with me when we request GAC. In most respects he appears "typical", but it doesn't take much for the verbalizations and flapping to start. Gosh, I hate that I feel like I have to prove my son may need accomodations because others have abused the system.
I had planned to talk with the dr. on Friday about potential difficulties he may have and then have her write a letter requesting specific accomodations. I would never dream of taking a letter that says my son should have access to the front of the line.
I think the letter would be dx with autism...the following accomdations are needed: alternate place to wait in lines, preferably out of the sun and in a less crowded environment, access to a break area such as a first aid station for sensory breaks, ??? use of stroller as a wheelchair??? (I can see the benefit to this, but hadn't thought of it as he is 7 years old. Others have said how helpful this is -- I just don't know about using a stroller for him. Then again, it would beat carrying him which often happens?) but I will talk to dr. and see what she thinks. Better to have it as an option, I would guess. I am also going to have her write that it is necessary that we not be placed in a room with a balcony or door that opens to the outside above ground level. Every doctor of his has advised this and we have had incidents. My confirmation paper says that we are guaranteed a first floor room, but for us it is REALLY important (I would love to have balcony :(, maybe someday). I think that would be about it unless doc has something else in mind.
I feel like I'm writing the accomodations section of his IEP :rotfl: , but it IS pretty much the same thing.
I think those are reasonable accomodations to request. I know that some GAC request information is better to not be discussed in this forum, but I don't think waiting in a different spot or going to a first aid station is going to benefit anyone who doesn't need it.

mlwear said:
Maybe I'll just have the dr. note, if I need it. Describe accomodations needed and if I have a problem, have the note available :confused3 I know my son needs to be with me when we request GAC. In most respects he appears "typical", but it doesn't take much for the verbalizations and flapping to start. Gosh, I hate that I feel like I have to prove my son may need accomodations because others have abused the system.
I had planned to talk with the dr. on Friday about potential difficulties he may have and then have her write a letter requesting specific accomodations. I would never dream of taking a letter that says my son should have access to the front of the line.
I think the letter would be dx with autism...the following accomdations are needed: alternate place to wait in lines, preferably out of the sun and in a less crowded environment, access to a break area such as a first aid station for sensory breaks, ??? use of stroller as a wheelchair??? (I can see the benefit to this, but hadn't thought of it as he is 7 years old. Others have said how helpful this is -- I just don't know about using a stroller for him. Then again, it would beat carrying him which often happens?) but I will talk to dr. and see what she thinks. Better to have it as an option, I would guess. I am also going to have her write that it is necessary that we not be placed in a room with a balcony or door that opens to the outside above ground level. Every doctor of his has advised this and we have had incidents. My confirmation paper says that we are guaranteed a first floor room, but for us it is REALLY important (I would love to have balcony :(, maybe someday). I think that would be about it unless doc has something else in mind.
I feel like I'm writing the accomodations section of his IEP :rotfl: , but it IS pretty much the same thing.
I think those are reasonable accomodations to request. I know that some GAC request information is better to not be discussed in this forum, but I don't think waiting in a different spot or going to a first aid station is going to benefit anyone who doesn't need it.
I think the things you are asking for are reasonable. The stroller as wheelchair option is one that most people don't think of, but a lot of posters with children with autism say was the single best thing. Especially with the strollers at WDW. Since they are a firm plastic, just sitting in them gives a nice firm pressure that is calming for a lot of kids with autism. (And, if you have a melting child, it does provide you with a way to remove them).

I personally would not include the First Aid and room placement stuff in your letter if you plan to show it at Guest Services at the parks. Neither of those have anything to do with a GAC and they just make the letter longer.

You don't need a GAC to go to First Aid. You just go there whenever you need to and explain you need a quiet place to rest/get control for a while.
No one has ever posted any problems with First Aid. The only thing I could imagine would be if they were full, but we've been to First Aid in all the parks numerous times and never saw more than a few other people besides us.

Regarding the room placement information, if you feel like you need it in writing, I'd have it as a separate note because it's only info that the resort people need and they don't need the other info.
But, you don't need it. A copy of the room confirmation that says you have been guaranteed to have ground floor and you saying you can't accept anything with a balcony is what is important. What the doctor writes doesn't really have much effect on room placement outside of a hospital (I know that might be news to some doctors, but it is true.) ;)

krismom:
sorry to hear things didn't work out for you. I got a GAC for DD 12/04 (outside of AK) and had no difficulties. I had typed up a short note explaining her dx's, behaviours and accomodations I was requesting (and why). We received the GAC within a couple of minutes. I feel that because I had typed up the note previously it made all the difference. There was no way I could discuss my childs difficulties with her standing right there (especially since she does not know that she is "special"). That was NOT how I was going to start my holiday!

I kept the GAC and original typed note and am hoping to be able to get a new GAC next time as an insurance policy only since she has made a ton of progress lately :goodvibes

Maybe you could consider a typed note next time.

mlwear: CONSIDER the WDW stroller, it made the difference for us!!!!!
Suzy V.

SueM in MN said:

Not from experience as this will be my first time to ask for a GAC, but it seems to me that needed is precisely how it should be worded. If you don't NEED it, then you can probably make do. Just like with the schools, you only ask for the things that your child needs as they don't have to consider your wants. If WDW, doesn't have them available, then they aren't available and your child will just not be able to participate in this or that activity. It isn't saying that you demand that they fulfill your request, IMO, it is saying that this is really a necessary accomodation.

I'm not going to add in another quote but also in this thread, Sue mentioned having a separate letter for the resort, if I felt it was needed. I think that is a good idea and will ask the doctor if she will write the separate note as one doesn't really go with the other. But, even though our confirmation says first floor, medically necessary, I am concerned. In corresponding to concierge, he replied that he would note my requests. Of course, my son's doctor has no power over Disney, but I think if I have a confirmation of a ground level floor and we are assigned a different room, a note from son's psychologist saying there is probability that he will jump as he has tried this before and has no fear of danger or impulse control. Then, they may feel more compelled to follow through with the original confirmation.

I'm just going to hope we don't have any problems. Since I'm telling the truth and am bringing documentation to back it up, I hope we don't have any problems.

To the OP, again, I am sorry that you had difficulty.

Re: Stroller--I'm going to start a new thread on that topic soon. :flower:

mlwear said:
Not from experience as this will be my first time to ask for a GAC, but it seems to me that needed is precisely how it should be worded. If you don't NEED it, then you can probably make do. Just like with the schools, you only ask for the things that your child needs as they don't have to consider your wants. If WDW, doesn't have them available, then they aren't available and your child will just not be able to participate in this or that activity. It isn't saying that you demand that they fulfill your request, IMO, it is saying that this is really a necessary accomodation.

I'm not going to add in another quote but also in this thread, Sue mentioned having a separate letter for the resort, if I felt it was needed. I think that is a good idea and will ask the doctor if she will write the separate note as one doesn't really go with the other. But, even though our confirmation says first floor, medically necessary, I am concerned. In corresponding to concierge, he replied that he would note my requests. Of course, my son's doctor has no power over Disney, but I think if I have a confirmation of a ground level floor and we are assigned a different room, a note from son's psychologist saying there is probability that he will jump as he has tried this before and has no fear of danger or impulse control. Then, they may feel more compelled to follow through with the original confirmation.

I'm just going to hope we don't have any problems. Since I'm telling the truth and am bringing documentation to back it up, I hope we don't have any problems.

To the OP, again, I am sorry that you had difficulty.

Re: Stroller--I'm going to start a new thread on that topic soon. :flower:

The wording of "needed" is fine.... if a child or other person w/ a disability does "need" something to make his/her stay more accomodating. As Sue mentioned, even if a certain item is needed, it may not always be available. Wording really doesn't matter and a doctor's note is not necessary when approaching Guest Relations for a request for a GAC. Please remember, these cards are only available at the park Guest Relations locations, not those at Downtown Disney.

According to my understanding, GAC's are for persons with non-apparent, special assistance needs (heart condition, autism, etc.) They are not necessary for persons using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or with service animals, unless there are special circumstances.

I would suggest the brochure "Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities" which you can request at 407-934-7639, especially for first-time visitors, for additional information.

zellda said:
According to my understanding, GAC's are for persons with non-apparent, special assistance needs (heart condition, autism, etc.) They are not necessary for persons using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or with service animals, unless there are special circumstances.

I would suggest the brochure "Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities" which you can request at 407-934-7639, especially for first-time visitors, for additional information.
::yes::
You can also get the Guidebooks on the official Disney website. There is a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board (it's the 3rd post in the thread).

I hope I am posting this in the right place. We are going to WDW in 3 weeks :cheer2: and have been there over 10 times. I had surgery this year to remove a malignant tumor in my thigh which removed part of my hamstring and sciatic nerve. To see me walk, you wouldnt even know I had surgery. My problem is with standing in one place. I can walk fine for a short period of time, but do not think I will be able to tolerate standing on lines. I am thinking of renting a wheelchair, but for the times I can walk, do you think I would be able to get a GAC so that I would not have to stand during long lines? Or should I just sit in the wheel chair during the line wait? If I did get a GAC, do I need a letter from my doctor, (or maybe I can just show the CM my foot long scar on my leg).

Thanks in advance.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: :earboy2: princess:

lsg1 said:
I hope I am posting this in the right place. We are going to WDW in 3 weeks :cheer2: and have been there over 10 times. I had surgery this year to remove a malignant tumor in my thigh which removed part of my hamstring and sciatic nerve. To see me walk, you wouldnt even know I had surgery. My problem is with standing in one place. I can walk fine for a short period of time, but do not think I will be able to tolerate standing on lines. I am thinking of renting a wheelchair, but for the times I can walk, do you think I would be able to get a GAC so that I would not have to stand during long lines? Or should I just sit in the wheel chair during the line wait? If I did get a GAC, do I need a letter from my doctor, (or maybe I can just show the CM my foot long scar on my leg).

Thanks in advance.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: :earboy2: princess:

WDW's accomodation for stamina issues is wheelchair or ecv rental/use. GAC would not be any help to you for the standing issue.

Your surgery sounds quite painful, I hope you are feeling much better!! :goodvibes

Most of all, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter