Just got back for Alaskan "Wonder"...Only 1 complaint!

We had free pretzels on Deck 11 in January on the Fantasy. They did not have them on the Dream at all a week ago though.

Thanks for the wonderful Alaska report. We have been thinking about that cruise for years. Sounds like we need to book one!

A friend that sailed the Trans-Atlantic on the Magic a couple weeks ago said soft pretzels were $8 a piece!

We were on the 5/29 Alaska cruise as well and enjoyed the cruise. Our only complaint was the tasteless hockey puck hamburgers - both from quick serve and lunch in Triton's. bleh.

The weather was gorgeous in port. Some nights on the ship were windy and the ship rocked a bit.

A friend that sailed the Trans-Atlantic on the Magic a couple weeks ago said soft pretzels were $8 a piece!

We were on the 5/29 Alaska cruise as well and enjoyed the cruise. Our only complaint was the tasteless hockey puck hamburgers - both from quick serve and lunch in Triton's. bleh.

The weather was gorgeous in port. Some nights on the ship were windy and the ship rocked a bit.
Yes the pretzels you can get in the pub have a cost (this was on the Magic). There are sometimes pretzels available at the pizza location on the pool deck that don't have a cost.

You can see the Pub Grub menu for the Magic here:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/after-hours-drink-menus-fathoms-ogills-keys/

The $8 pretzels in O'Gills are different than the Superpretzels that can sometimes be found at the pool deck pizza place (I don't know if they had the free ones on the EBTA, but I didn't look for them). At one of the trivias, however, people at my table ordered the O'Gills pretzels and they were HUGE.

Our only complaint was the tasteless hockey puck hamburgers - both from quick serve and lunch in Triton's. bleh.

I'm a vegetarian so I haven't tried them, but my DH has complained about the burgers in all locations on both our cruises. How hard can it be?!

just arrived back home from a DREAMY 7-night excursion on a magical Disney Wonder Alaskan cruise! Service, atmosphere and entertainment for everyone in my party (12-45yrs) was the best we've ever experienced.
How was embarkation? What was your PAT time? When did you show-up?

Highlights?! Do you have time? :jester: Don't know if you've cruised Disney before. Please excuse the general info, if you have.

Fav Mems: Lounging on the upper deck, mid ship, as the ship slowly cruised down a tiny narrow strait of some Alaskan waterway (Tracy Arm) -looks so surreal, like you can reach out and touch the mountains on BOTH sides. The views are breath-taking!! The velvety green spruce, red cedar and pine tree covered mountains, tall and majestic -some with natural waterfalls of melted ice cascading down. The servers were impeccable. I wondered if there was some type of ongoing contest to see which department would get the highest ratings at the end of week (guest survey). They were great! Dining room meals A+++ on variety, flavor and presentation!

Tips: Per captain's orders, "DRESS LIKE AN ONION". I was fine with a hooded jersey, fleece Old Navy jacket and scarf -wish I had a waterproof shell. Some rain and cold first 2 days, but surprisingly short-pants-warm in Ketchikan. I enjoyed breakfast in the dining rooms "Parrot's Cay" or "Triton's" as opposed to the over-crowded buffet style on 9th floor "Beach Blanket Buffet". My nephews (12 & 17) were immersed in their youth clubs -didn't even want to sit with the adults at dinner -or any other time for that matter! :charac2: We love photos, they're pricey! If I had smaller kids onboard, I'd budget for the unlimited All-Digital-Photos CD. Lines were long for characters, but I saw some showings were late in the eve 10PMish. My teens took some really nice closeup "selfies" with several characters on their cellphones for some great close up shots -free.

We did excursions 2 out of the 3 days at port. WE really enjoyed relaxing on a near empty ship on one of the days. The adult 18+ areas are nice. I've seen crew "card" a few young looking adults. We LOVE to watch Disney movies on the big outdoor screen; wish I'd packed a few stadium blankets. The fleece blankets the ship offers are nice, but thin. Hopefully, August will bring better weather. Anything else? Please just ask. Ooooooooh, I so envy you!
We are cruising to Alaska in August - it's our first cruise - cannot wait! Thanks for the tip about the stadium blanket. I think we will need about 6 suitcases for the 4 of us!
Which excursions did you do?

How was embarkation? What was your PAT time? When did you show-up?
It was much easier than we thought. We had a PAT of 11:30. We walked from our hotel and got there at maybe 11:20. Dropped off luggage first, then went to DCL check in. Maybe 6 people in line in front of us. Then went to security and customs. No real wait times. After customs we waited at the boarding area because they were not at our boarding number yet. Waited maybe 10 minutes and then got on the ship. Seemed really easy.

Thank you for your report! This makes me relieved because I've been hearing some people saying the service on the wonder has been sub-par.
We're going on the EBPC this fall and I'm worried about the service slacking since it's the last before the big refurbishment.

Did you go to pirate night at all?
How was the frozen party? Did you get to meet olaf in person or was he only on screen?

Regarding service on th wonder, perhaps those complaints fell on listening ears! Both my cabin hostess and dining room team asked twice throughout the cruise if I was content with their service -they also mentioned the survey. "FROZEN" was a big hit onboard, I'm unsure if Olaf made an appearance. There was a late evening "Frozen" themed gathering for the adults (dancers performed), fun Frozen trivia games played for keychains, one Frozen cocktail raffled off and the night ended with one of the comedians.

Last edited:
Yes, the Fantasy started charging for pretzels late last year :( (they were still free when I cruised in early November, but became a charged item within weeks)
OH! Wow, that's horrible! I'm shocked the larger ship would charge for pretzels.

It was much easier than we thought. We had a PAT of 11:30. We walked from our hotel and got there at maybe 11:20. Dropped off luggage first, then went to DCL check in. Maybe 6 people in line in front of us. Then went to security and customs. No real wait times. After customs we waited at the boarding area because they were not at our boarding number yet. Waited maybe 10 minutes and then got on the ship. Seemed really easy.
YES! I have NO COMPLAINTS regarding the boarding process. The pier cast members were proactive and have the process pretty much streamlined! From 1) Check-in, 2) Security, 3) Customs, 4) Group boarding, we were constantly moving.

Time to start saving my pennies, it sounds amazing. I keep thinking we'll try NCL for one of these more expensive cruises but I just can't bring myself to do it when I read this kind of glowing review. Glad you had such a great time.
Ms. Darn, let me tell you, it can be done. Pray on it and do it if you see fit. Look into low season rates. Book a Disney Cruise far ahead so you can apply your deposit and save up for the due date. With the world in its mixed-up crazy state, we Disney Fans owe ourselves a mental health vacation to a Disney Destination!! I wish you well.:jumping1:

Any more tips from recent Alaskan cruisers? We fly up to Vancouver in 3 weeks for our DCL adventure and family reunion. Eeeeeek! :D

Also, do any of the recent Alaskan cruisers know if the Exotic Rasul treatment is still available on the Wonder? It doesn't seem to be available to book online.

On the San Diego to Vancouver cruise, it was quite chilly at times with cold winds. On deck 9, the deck staff had blue towels to hand out to guests, in addition to towels. I would guess they have those for the Alaska cruises for sure. Not sure how many they have though. For our stateroom, we asked our host for an extra blanket for sitting out on the verendah - just a regular bed blanket, but was nice to have. So maybe you don't need to bring your own blanket. Another option is to just buy a Walmart quality "throw away" blanket, bring it with you, leave it behind to make room for souvenirs.

On the San Diego to Vancouver cruise, it was quite chilly at times with cold winds. On deck 9, the deck staff had blue towels to hand out to guests, in addition to towels. I would guess they have those for the Alaska cruises for sure. Not sure how many they have though. For our stateroom, we asked our host for an extra blanket for sitting out on the verendah - just a regular bed blanket, but was nice to have. So maybe you don't need to bring your own blanket. Another option is to just buy a Walmart quality "throw away" blanket, bring it with you, leave it behind to make room for souvenirs.

Any more tips from recent Alaskan cruisers? We fly up to Vancouver in 3 weeks for our DCL adventure and family reunion. Eeeeeek! :D
I have a trip report going about my cruise last week. There is another going from the week before. You might get some questions answered there. Of course, you can just ask me anything specific.
Also, do any of the recent Alaskan cruisers know if the Exotic Rasul treatment is still available on the Wonder? It doesn't seem to be available to book online.
It was available for online booking for my cruise last week.

Are you able to pack box wine (no glass) in your luggage. Unopened and packed not carry on. We are doing Alaska in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter