Just got back from the 10/27 ...some thoughts

buzz&woody'smom

DIS Veteran
I finally understand while you all are addicted. It was awesome and we are going back next October. Here are some of my observations:

1. Non potty trained children were in the Mickey Pool.
2. Too many people let their children as young as 3 and 4 travel alone around the ship with their older siblings. Children were basically on their best behavior but there are still some as in anywhere in the country and the world that are not supervised enough but it did not ruin the cruise we just learned to avoid these "packs'" :)
3. The food and service was excellant.
4. I only encountered one CM who was rude everyone else was wonderful and anxious to please. They truly love their jobs and are pleasant and helpful. A wonderful group of people.
5. The ship was clean and Category 9 deluxe ocean view was perfect. It had the queen size bed a separate shower and sink area with a door and a separate toliet & sink area with a door.
6. Atlantis and the aquariums were neat for my young children and wheel chair bound mother.
7. Castaway Cay was beyond words. It was my favorite and just beautiful. It was sunny and 80 degrees. There are plenty of umbrellas and shaded areas so don't kill yourseld getting off of the ship to early. If you go further down the beach it is less crowded.
8. The kids clubs (3-4 years and nursery) were clean and the staff seemed well trained even though my children would not stay :(. The 2nd time I tried to leave my 17 month DS at the nursery a CM walked him up and down the halls of the ship which I did not know until afterward because they wanted me to enjoy my meal and did not want to bother me.
9. I felt well informed by the staff and the Navigator handed out nightly.
10. The ship was easy to navigate. I never got lost or turned around.
11. I thought the chewable dramamine came in handy the first night for myself but my sons did not need anything.
12. Pack 2 little flash lights if you have little ones that way if your DH or older children stay out later they can navigate the cabin with out waking up the little ones when they come to bed.
13. Take your own beach toys to Castaway Cay. I went to the $1.00 store and such and the end of the summer and took stuff that was cheap that I left. I noticed one sand bucket and pail was $15.50.
14. I am not a big soda drinker but bought the mug and did not get my monies worth. Soft drinks are free with dinner.
15. The shows were great get there early for good seats. My 4 year old DS went to sleep with a huge smile on his face after seeing Disney Dreams.
16. Take 70% less than you think you need to pack.
17. Take laundry detergent tablets and a roll or 2 of quarters. It takes 2 cycles in the dryer at $1.00 to dry clothes.
18. Take zip lock bags and freezer bags. I did not take the over thr door shoe hanger but it was me my DH and 2 young sons. I packed all hygeine items in cosmetic bags and their were shelves in my Category 9 cabin. I left medicines double wrapped in freezer bags in the dressers. There was plenty of room to unpack and hang up clothes. You may want to take a few extra hangers (wire ones). That can be disgarded upon your return.
19. We stayed at the Radisson the night before which was ok. Very large hotel, long ways to walk. No problem with the shuttle over to the port and back, very fast and efficient. My only complaint is for those of you with little ones. When I requested a crib I expected a graco style pack and play. Instead they gave me a 1960's style narrow wooden crib that my very large 17 month DS hated. He cried and cried because he could not move around in it. I finally put him in bed with me and stayed up all night because I was worried he would roll out. Needless to say it made for me very tired for our departure day.
20. Please don't think me paranoid but my DD had to get a small chain and lock for my mom's wheel chair from a CM after another cruiser tried to take her wheel chair. He ended up saying he thought it was nicer than his and he wanted it. He did not realize it was not a rental but hers from home that she uses daily.
21. Get to Oceanear's right at 1:00 pm or there is a line. I being a type A was first in line and ended cancelling all but 2 ressies because my DS cried to hard and which made me cry.

That is all I can think of now. If anyone has specific questions please feel free to email me. I found traveling with my 17 month DS easier than I expected. My mother thoughts are that the wheel chair access was good. Her only worries were the sand wheel chair became uncomfortable and being pushed across the sand was hard on my DD and DH.

Happy Cruising :)

Welcome Home! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for the great tips. One more addicted person. Welcome to the club.

Tina :)
Magic Western 1/18/03 <-- 73 days OR
2 months 11 days 15 hrs 37 min OR
6,277,020 seconds

Buzz and Woody's mom...

I think we all agree the 10/27 Cruise was AWESOME!!!

I second your notion to bring 70% less then what you think you need. I am a fairly light packer, and I still didn't need everything.

I agree, mugs not worth it... We went to sit down lunch and got sodas, no problem, no charge, and my friend even got one at the sit down breakfast--no problem, no charge. Maybe it is just at buffet and on deck you need to pay.

All in all, my best cruise ever. The weather, the cast, the entertainment, the activities, couldn't be beat!

One of the highlights for me though was seeing this HUGE sting ray in the water at serenity bay. It was awesome. It's so amazing being that close to nature, and the water is so clear, you could see it, just like you were in a aquarium.

It was just AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME all the way around!

Great tips, buzz&woody'smom! :) I'm glad you had a great time.

Your tip about packing 70% LESS than you think you will need is my #1 tip too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter