Just got back from WDW on Sunday..

Just People

Lurker
Boy, we have been to WDW in August a couple of times, but I swear it was never as hot as this past week! The great thing is we had almost no rain, but it was truly as hot as the surface of the sun. Also, it was the busiest I have ever seen the theme parks! We usually dont deal with such large crowds in the summer. Sunday 8/3 at the magic kingdom was manageable, but the was the exception. We went the beginning of the month to avoid the free dining crowds later this month. We pbbly wont be heading to WDW in August anymore, its just too crazy!

On the bright side we had our first vacation as DVC members at SSR. We bought into AKV in june, but their was no availability. I hear a lot of people talk about how they dont like SSR much, but we loved the resort. Sure, its a spread out resort, but that also makes it very peaceful. Its a nice escape from the hustle of the theme parks. We stayed at the grandstand section, pretty much in the far end of the resort. Bus service was great since we were the first ones to be picked up and dropped off. The walk to the main dining hall / pool really didnt feel too far. We definately enjoyed to alternatives to burgers and hotdogs at the Artist palette. Also, the main pool is awesome. Love the Zero Entry! Much better pool than at BWV. The only complaint is just how uncomfortable the sofabeds are in the studio rooms. They felt as hard as the floor!

We were going to stay at AKV in March 2009, but we are inviting GF's sister and her BF and dont want to make them sleep on the hard sofabeds, so we booked at OKW studio instead for the 2 queen beds. Hopefully we'll like OKW as much as SSR. You really cant see much of OKW from outside the property lines, so we have no idea what to expect.

BTW, we did 3 days at Daytona Beach at the Hilton Oceanfront resort and we were extremely disappointed. We were there 30 minutes after check in time and our room still wasn't ready. Once we got our room key we went up to our room, opened the door to find a woman inside changing! Needless to say she was pretty upset. We went down to the lobby to have the hostess tell us they made a mistake (No, Really?!). anyways, we finally received an empty room, which has seen better days. The pool was very disappointing after experiencing SSR's pool. Pool towels were hardly available! We definately won't be staying at the hilton anymore. Anywho, the actual beach was good, pretty gentle waves. BTW, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. was yummy, but way to rich.

Ugh, 7 more months until we return to WDW. :eek:

I've been in August too, and agree about the heat. Kind of surprised to hear about those crowds - not what I would've expected.

I really like the SSR, and glad you had such a nice time.

Welcome back to the real world! I have found it eases the pain to start planning the next trip.

:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter