Just got back this week from Disney

Yngpreacherman

Mouseketeer
My wife and I just got back this week from a 10 day trip (we spent two days at Universal and 4 days at Disney World). Just a few observations.

1. We went right before labor day so the crowds were very low at Universal and Disney. The longest we waited for ANYTHING at Disney was 7DMT and it was about 30-40 minutes at 1:30 in the morning during extra magic hours.

2. We didn't really get a good feel for FP+ since the crowds and lines were very low. The only two rides that it even made any kind of difference was Soarin and TSMM (it would have made a difference on 7DMT had we been able to secure a FP for it, but we didn't). Aside from these rides, everything was around 10-20 minutes (max) the whole time we were there.

3. As always, Disney delivered on their customer service and people skills (there were a few exceptions to this, but over all Disney did great with this). We stayed in the park for about half our trip but the other half we were off site. During one of our off site days when we were celebrating my wife's birthday, the parking attendant gave us FREE parking because of her birthday!

4. It had been years since I had been to Universal. We did both Islands and Studios. WOW! The quality of these rides are so much higher than Disney. It was very apparent when going to Disney one day and then Universal the next. My wife had never been to Universal and she is a HUGE fan of Disney (as am I---I have been on around 18 trips there). However, Universal certainly wins in ride quality, hands down.

5. Is Hollywood studios trying to bury itself? Since they have the frozen stuff, they have a huge stage in the front of the hat and during the day they have some type of karaoke/garage band junk and the sound dominated the majority of the park around the hat and entrance. I mean, they were playing non-Disney pop songs that are 15-20 years old!!! The last thing I want to hear when I go to Disney is..."Please tell me whyyyyyyy my car is in the front yard and I'm sleeping with my shirt on..." Yeah, nothing screams Disney like the song "My Own Worst Enemy" by the band Lit. :mic: Seriously, it was pathetic. Hollywood needs to move TSMM, RNRC and TOT to another park and just shut down.

This trip, Universal came through strong and proved that (while Disney may be better over all) Universal dominates pound for pound when comparing the actual quality of the parks and attractions, no question! It as as if Disney is now mimicking Six Flags while Universal is mimicking what Disney use to be! Quality!!!!

I would say that Universal ride quality is fine, but not "better" than Disney's. UO rides tend to emphasize more thrilling elements, while Disney focuses more on theme. My opinion only, and I enjoy them both.

I would say that Universal ride quality is fine, but not "better" than Disney's. UO rides tend to emphasize more thrilling elements, while Disney focuses more on theme. My opinion only, and I enjoy them both.

I don't know if I have ever been on a better ride than the Mummy (thrills/theming).

I certainly agree that both parks are great. I mean, if I had just "one" park out of all to go to it would certainly be Magic Kingdom.

It just felt like that this past trip Disney had spent more time on "filler" than quality. Especially when comparing Harry Potter lands to the new Disney stuff. I mean, I find Harry Potter very boring as far as the movies are concerned, lol (hopefully no one will shoot me on that one); however, the theming was incredible!

Oh, I will say that the Disney Vacation time share club stopped us and tried to do the presentation. My wife and I have done several different time shares and usually receive REALLY good stuff (free cruises, gift cards, etc.). Do you know what they were offering for THEIR presentation? 3 Fast passes!!! hahaha!!!! AND they even had limitations on that. I was expecting two free tickets to a nice restaurant or something, but 3 fast passes? WOW. Come on now!

We found Universal to be OK, but too many thrill rides, not enough easy family rides. My husband can't do the intense rides as they make him very sick (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey had him puking and out for the rest of the day) so we found very little to do together. To me, Universal seems geared to more intense thrill seekers, while WDW caters to families with small children and 'ride pukers' like my husband.

We like both companies, but will spend more time at WDW than at Universal. I do agree that the stage (and hat) need to go at DHS, but we love the rest of the theming there, especially the animation area. Feels like old-time Hollywood studios to me. It's so quiet there and relaxing. I don't think a theme park needs to be in your face all the time, and that's how a lot of Universal feels to me. I hate hearing the screaming roller coaster people in Hogsmeade.

I don't know if I have ever been on a better ride than the Mummy (thrills/theming).

I certainly agree that both parks are great. I mean, if I had just "one" park out of all to go to it would certainly be Magic Kingdom.

It just felt like that this past trip Disney had spent more time on "filler" than quality. Especially when comparing Harry Potter lands to the new Disney stuff. I mean, I find Harry Potter very boring as far as the movies are concerned, lol (hopefully no one will shoot me on that one); however, the theming was incredible!

Oh, I will say that the Disney Vacation time share club stopped us and tried to do the presentation. My wife and I have done several different time shares and usually receive REALLY good stuff (free cruises, gift cards, etc.). Do you know what they were offering for THEIR presentation? 3 Fast passes!!! hahaha!!!! AND they even had limitations on that. I was expecting two free tickets to a nice restaurant or something, but 3 fast passes? WOW. Come on now!

That's always been the DVC way. We only got ice cream and a bag from our presentation. They shouldn't have to bribe you as much going to (what's supposed to be) a lower pressure sales presentation.

We found Universal to be OK, but too many thrill rides, not enough easy family rides. My husband can't do the intense rides as they make him very sick (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey had him puking and out for the rest of the day) so we found very little to do together. To me, Universal seems geared to more intense thrill seekers, while WDW caters to families with small children and 'ride pukers' like my husband.

We like both companies, but will spend more time at WDW than at Universal. I do agree that the stage (and hat) need to go at DHS, but we love the rest of the theming there, especially the animation area. Feels like old-time Hollywood studios to me. It's so quiet there and relaxing. I don't think a theme park needs to be in your face all the time, and that's how a lot of Universal feels to me. I hate hearing the screaming roller coaster people in Hogsmeade.

Yeah, I agree that Universal is geared toward more theme rides. I still look at the over all quality of the rides and IMO Universal is just better. Compare ET to Peter Pan or Cat in the Hat to Winnie the Pooh. Peter Pan reminds me of a inside glow in the dark putt putt, lol. :rotfl2:

By the way, sorry your husband got sick. It certainly takes away the fun of any day! Hopefully he got to feeling better soon.

The Harry Potter theme is just fantastic - so we did a Spring Break tour of Universal, but we had to spend 2 days at Disney - I agree, its hard to compare, and we are not "thrill riders" so Disney still has our hearts, but Universal took a big chunk out of it, not sure what will happen when we go in June AND with this new FP+ system...

thank you for your observations!

(the one thing at universal that really upset dd was a ride she wanted to do outside of HP, it was a smooth, swing type ride in the trees and it just went around a small area, but it looked enjoyable - we couldn't ride it because we didn't have anyone under the age of 10! She couldn't believe they refused her a ride! Disney lets adults ride all the rides, what's wrong with Universal?)

Seriously, it was pathetic. Hollywood needs to move TSMM, RNRC and TOT to another park and just shut down.
While I'm not a huge DHS fan, it's a half-day park for me... If they did as you suggest, I would terribly miss Star Tours, MuppetVision 3D, the Great Movie Ride, and Fantasmic. Those, and the three you mention, are the only things I do at DHS. ;)

That's always been the DVC way. We only got ice cream and a bag from our presentation. They shouldn't have to bribe you as much going to (what's supposed to be) a lower pressure sales presentation.
I agree DVC sells itself, it doesn't need to bribe people to buy. Yes I am a member.

What you get from DVC greatly changes from person to person, I think, depending on how serious you seem about it. We got 50 bucks a person to go listen to the sales pitch. A friend got a 10 dollar gift card. And I just received and invitation to listen for 2 pins (of which i kinda wanna see)

While I'm not a huge DHS fan, it's a half-day park for me... If they did as you suggest, I would terribly miss Star Tours, MuppetVision 3D, the Great Movie Ride, and Fantasmic. Those, and the three you mention, are the only things I do at DHS. ;)

Ok, ok. You are right. Let's go ahead and add those too! lol AND Art of Animation. Forgot that one. It is good, they just need more than one class because it is always packed.

My wife and I just got back this week from a 10 day trip (we spent two days at Universal and 4 days at Disney World). Just a few observations.

1. We went right before labor day so the crowds were very low at Universal and Disney. The longest we waited for ANYTHING at Disney was 7DMT and it was about 30-40 minutes at 1:30 in the morning during extra magic hours.

2. We didn't really get a good feel for FP+ since the crowds and lines were very low. The only two rides that it even made any kind of difference was Soarin and TSMM (it would have made a difference on 7DMT had we been able to secure a FP for it, but we didn't). Aside from these rides, everything was around 10-20 minutes (max) the whole time we were there.

3. As always, Disney delivered on their customer service and people skills (there were a few exceptions to this, but over all Disney did great with this). We stayed in the park for about half our trip but the other half we were off site. During one of our off site days when we were celebrating my wife's birthday, the parking attendant gave us FREE parking because of her birthday!

4. It had been years since I had been to Universal. We did both Islands and Studios. WOW! The quality of these rides are so much higher than Disney. It was very apparent when going to Disney one day and then Universal the next. My wife had never been to Universal and she is a HUGE fan of Disney (as am I---I have been on around 18 trips there). However, Universal certainly wins in ride quality, hands down.

5. Is Hollywood studios trying to bury itself? Since they have the frozen stuff, they have a huge stage in the front of the hat and during the day they have some type of karaoke/garage band junk and the sound dominated the majority of the park around the hat and entrance. I mean, they were playing non-Disney pop songs that are 15-20 years old!!! The last thing I want to hear when I go to Disney is..."Please tell me whyyyyyyy my car is in the front yard and I'm sleeping with my shirt on..." Yeah, nothing screams Disney like the song "My Own Worst Enemy" by the band Lit. :mic: Seriously, it was pathetic. Hollywood needs to move TSMM, RNRC and TOT to another park and just shut down.

This trip, Universal came through strong and proved that (while Disney may be better over all) Universal dominates pound for pound when comparing the actual quality of the parks and attractions, no question! It as as if Disney is now mimicking Six Flags while Universal is mimicking what Disney use to be! Quality!!!!

@Yngpreacherman

Did Universal seem like it had more people at it compared to Disney?

Y'know...were the walkways more crowded?

@Yngpreacherman

Did Universal seem like it had more people at it compared to Disney?

Y'know...were the walkways more crowded?

No, the days we were there it was literally empty aside from Diagon Alley. We had bought the express passes a few months before we left and wish we hadn't. Most rides were walk-ons. We rode Mummy like 6 or 7 times. We rode Spider Man 3 or 4 times in a row with no wait. It was awesome. The park itself seemed empty. Even The Forbidden Journey was like 15 mins towards the end of the night. Gringotts was the only thing we had to wait very long for and it was less than 30 minutes (in single rider line). Regular line hung around 70 minutes at the highest we saw and went down as low as 45 mins.

This trip, Universal came through strong and proved that (while Disney may be better over all) Universal dominates pound for pound when comparing the actual quality of the parks and attractions, no question!!!!

Glad you had a great trip! I have never been to Universal, but I suppose someday DD will make me go now that she's more interested in thrill rides. Just wondering, if Universal dominates pound for pound when comparing the actual quality of the parks and attractions, then how is Disney better overall?

No, the days we were there it was literally empty aside from Diagon Alley. We had bought the express passes a few months before we left and wish we hadn't. Most rides were walk-ons. We rode Mummy like 6 or 7 times. We rode Spider Man 3 or 4 times in a row with no wait. It was awesome. The park itself seemed empty. Even The Forbidden Journey was like 15 mins towards the end of the night. Gringotts was the only thing we had to wait very long for and it was less than 30 minutes (in single rider line). Regular line hung around 70 minutes at the highest we saw and went down as low as 45 mins.
Thanks so much for posting this. I often comment that we manage to ride what we want without Express even during busy times and I think that some people think that I'm crazy. It just requires a little planning.

I adore the Mummy! It's my favorite ride anywhere. I get a kick out of hearing about it.

Glad you had a great trip! I have never been to Universal, but I suppose someday DD will make me go now that she's more interested in thrill rides. Just wondering, if Universal dominates pound for pound when comparing the actual quality of the parks and attractions, then how is Disney better overall?
I can't answer for the OP but for us Disney is better for variety of dining, shopping and just having way more to do. Universal has just the two parks, some mini golf, a theater and limited shopping. There are some good places to eat but Disney has way more choices plus it has Magical Express which can be handy. Universal's hotels are nicer but they have way fewer of course.

ETA: I just thought of a few more. Disney has lots of fireworks shows and parades and hard ticket events. Universal has very little of that.

This is obviously a matter of opinion, but I strongly disagree with this premise.

Each person has his own opinion - went to Universal this past May for 2 days - stayed on site so we had front of the line - and we would get to the park when it opened and rode everything by 1:00 - I mean everything. There were no lines, no people - I have pictures that show only 3 people on the street that goes by Diagon Alley (it was still under construction) - I was never so glad to get to Disney - I love roller coasters and I rode all that Universal had to offer (I really love the Mummy) but all the other rides are motion rides and I can only take so many of them.

I will continue to spend my money going to Disney - so all the Universal people can rejoice that there is 1 less person going to their park.

We were in Disney they same time and very rarely used out fast passes. except on the obvious new rides and that darn Peter Pan. I don't understand the hype on that ride.

We were in Disney they same time and very rarely used out fast passes. except on the obvious new rides and that darn Peter Pan. I don't understand the hype on that ride.

It is not hype, but math. Everyone is eligible to ride it, and it is a very slow loader. These two facts alone equate to consistently long waits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter