Just how hot is it in July at The Fort?

kg66

DIS Veteran
We've been to Disney in Jan, Feb,Sept and October, but never the summer. I'm thinking about surprising our 10 year old for a trip to The Fort during the week of her birthday in July. Obviously we would use the water parks and the pool at the campground, but does it get unbearable? Would it be comparable to our trip in September? That was pretty hot and humid. Not worried about nights as the camper has air, but is it too hot to walk the parks?
Thanks, missing The Fort soooo much:guilty:

It gets really hot in July.

And humid.

But, if you have been on a hot and humid day in September, it probably won't be much worse.

Despite the heat, WDW is packed in July.

So, is it too hot for the parks? Thousands of folks think not.

You say you have AC in the camper.

So you're good to go.

The tent loops are full in July with folks camping without AC!

If they can do it without AC, you certainly can do it with.

Go for it!

TCD

It's hot, but agree not much worse than September. The best advice I can give you is to just accept the fact that you will start sweating as soon as you walk out of the camper and will sweat all day. Plan to spend some of the hotter parts of the day back at the camper or at the pool and go to the parks in the mornings and evenings. I prefer cooler months, but wouldn't turn down an opportunity to go in July.

As others have said, it will be very hot.

That said, we tent camped at the Fort back in '04 (July 4th week) without a/c, and we survived.

We were also at the Fort for the 4th back in '97, but we were in a TT with a/c,so it was much better. Those are the only 2 trips that I know for sure were in July. As TCD said, if you have a/c, you should be just fine.

Yes, it is hot & humid & crowded, so I use my summertime rules.

Since the parks stay open later in the summer, we get there at line drop, ride the major rides, especially the ones that have outdoor lines, then eat an early lunch. Now the lines are getting longer & it is getting hotter, so we wonder through the shops (since they are air conditioned), get back on the boat and head back for a nap/swim. Then we will return later to the park (after 5:00 or so) & stay late.

Just keep in mind those rides that have air conditioned wait areas, as in the MK like Pirates, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear, Mickey's Philarmagic, Space Mountain.

It's so hot that the squirrels are handling their nuts with potholders,,

Birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.

It's so hot that the trees fight over dogs.

It's so hot that I have found out (the hard way) that my seat belt buckle could be used as a branding iron.

It was so hot once in July that the fish Frank caught were already cooked.

July in Florida once proved the Mythbusters show wrong.
They said canned sodas cannot explode in a hot car.
I beg to differ. :headache: And have dt. Coke stains on the ceiling of my car to prove it.

That said, summer can be managed. Just don't plan to spend all day in the park. Be smart....go to parks early morning and late evening. Spend the hot part of the day resting, swimming, or shopping in A/C comfort. Drink LOTS of water all day, even if you're not thirsty.

We live here, so we typically avoid summers at WDW...it's SO crowded and SO hot...since we have a choice, we go other times of the year. But we have spent my son's July birthday there several years...so it can be done. We can always tell which pictures were taken on those trips...we're all drenched in sweat and red in the face :sunny::beach:

Been in September and been in June (which is cooler than July).

Granted we are Yankees, but....

September - we can usually stay all day in a park if we want. Drink plenty and eat lunch inside and we and the kids are good to go.

June - I felt like a wrung out dish rag as I drug myself out of the park at noon everyday.

Agreed, you will have hot days in September. But every day is going to be hot in July, guaranteed, and there isn't any relief unless your in the AC.

Isn't it hot everywhere in July? :goodvibes

Yes, it's hot. It's all in your mind, though, I think. Of course, I absolutely LOVE the hot weather as opposed to cold weather.

Get up and make rope drop and ride and play until you get too tired. Go have lunch somewhere in the A/C and then head back for a nap/swim break. The Fort is nice and shady, so it cuts the heat right when you get off the boat. Head back out around 4-5 and you'll be good to go.

DH and I have stayed all day in the summer, but it was just us (before DD) and we drank a LOT of water and lemonade.

Oh, and take TWO sets of clothes per day. You will want to strip off the sweaty stuff in after lunch and put on something fresh when you go back out in the p.m.;)

Take this with a grain of salt, though. I'm addicted to summer. :rotfl:

We were there July 4th week this past summer. It was not hot at all, really unusual for some reason. We are from South GA, 20 miles from Fl line and we are used to hot. I was actually cool at the fireworks.

We camped in late July and it was hot, but the AC worked well at night and we weren't in the camper during the day so we didn't really notice what the daytime temps were like in the camper. The real problem was humidity. The sheets in the pop up were always damp. Also there were strong quick thunderstorms most days. We lost an awning because it wasn't tilted enough. All in all the parks were fine because the AC runs in the attractions. Have fun.

Don't forget in the summer you must dodge the touring groups from Brazil.

(they are however, hilarious to watch)

A newbie to Florida keeps a journal.

April 30th:
Florida is fantastic! Just got here and love it already. Now this is a
state that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy
evenings. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket.
It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

May 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 89 today. Not a problem, I live in an
air-conditioned home and drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to
see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshiper.

June 5th:
Another scorcher today, but I love it here. Had the backyard landscaped with
tropical plants today. Lots of Palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain.
No more mowing for me. NO MORE SHOVELING SNOW EITHER!

July 1st:
The temperature hasn't been below 90 all week, not even at night. Where are
those ocean breezes we heard about, still seems hot. Getting used to it will
take a while, I guess. I sure miss my LP collection, though. I'll have to
remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my car. Got one of
those fuzzy steering wheel covers, cheaper than the burn ointment for my
hands. I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled like.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.)
Missed two days of work, what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson
though: got to respect the old sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I miss our cat, Tabby. He snuck into the car when I left this morning. By
the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, he'd swollen up to the size of
a shopping bag and just as I opened the door he exploded all over $2,000
worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids he ran away. The car now
smells like Kibbles and poop. No more pets in this heat!

July 25th:
Ocean breezes, oh yeah sure. Hot is hot!! The home air conditioner is on the
fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed
to order parts. Only hope for a break in the heat would be a hurricane.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Swatting the swamp
mosquitoes that are as big as B-52's. $1,500 in darn house payments and we
can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th:
100 degrees. Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and
gets the temperature down to about 90. The electric bill is almost as much
as the house payment. And two old lady drivers almost ran me off the road.
I hate this state.

Aug 8th:
If another wise jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear
his head off. Dang heat! By the time I get to work, the radiator is
boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted
Garfield!!

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and sunny. It's
been too hot for two months and the weatherman says it might really
warm up next week. And whoever came up with the Statement, "it may be hot,
but at least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion.
Doesn't it ever rain in this God-forsaken place??

Aug 14th:
Welcome to Hell!!! Temperature got to 102 today. Forgot to crack the
window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to
fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?". My wife had to spend the
$1,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug 30th:
Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains
finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell and drove the
damned roaches out of the ground. I wasn't aware they could fly!
The Lincoln is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500
windshield. That does it, we're moving back to New York where all you have
to worry about is getting mugged.

I hope this state breaks in half and floats to Cuba.

We live in Florida and I find August the hottest. Hot is in the mind of each person, but when it is 100 out there is no place outside to stay comfortable. :cool1:

Florida in July is a great place to lose weight. I lost 15 pounds on our last summer vacation. If I stay long enough I'll get to where I "once was." :lmao:

That said, summer can be managed. Just don't plan to spend all day in the park. Be smart....go to parks early morning and late evening. Spend the hot part of the day resting, swimming, or shopping in A/C comfort. Drink LOTS of water all day, even if you're not thirsty.

:

Yes, it is hot & humid & crowded, so I use my summertime rules.

Since the parks stay open later in the summer, we get there at line drop, ride the major rides, especially the ones that have outdoor lines, then eat an early lunch. Now the lines are getting longer & it is getting hotter, so we wonder through the shops (since they are air conditioned), get back on the boat and head back for a nap/swim. Then we will return later to the park (after 5:00 or so) & stay late.

Just keep in mind those rides that have air conditioned wait areas, as in the MK like Pirates, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear, Mickey's Philarmagic, Space Mountain.

Isn't it hot everywhere in July? :goodvibes

Get up and make rope drop and ride and play until you get too tired. Go have lunch somewhere in the A/C and then head back for a nap/swim break. The Fort is nice and shady, so it cuts the heat right when you get off the boat. Head back out around 4-5 and you'll be good to go.

Oh, and take TWO sets of clothes per day. You will want to strip off the sweaty stuff in after lunch and put on something fresh when you go back out in the p.m.;)

Take this with a grain of salt, though. I'm addicted to summer. :rotfl:

Went the last week of July last year. I can totally agree with the advise above. We didn't rush for rope drop since we have been before and were meeting my Best Friend and family (and they are slowwwwwww). However after a couple of hours, we would leave them to enjoy the parks with thier two rugrats, and head back for lunch (saved mucho money) and a AC break. We would relax and rejoin then around dinner time and take advantage of the extra hours at night.

I strongly suggest investing in the towels that keep your you cool. We bought ours at Dick's Sproting goods. They made a huge difference. And we also took in water bottles of our own and used the fountains and water flavor packs to ensure we stay hydrated.

I think I may have visited everyone restroom in the parks, but at least we stayed hydrated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter