• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Just like we dreamed it!" - A Trip Report

Malton Seadog

Mouseketeer
So - I'm back in England.

After leaving St. Pancras at 15:00 on 26th June, I've finally arrived back on 3rd July at 22:00.

Seven wonderful nights spent in Bussy-Saint-Georges, four wonderful days spent in Disneyland.

I suppose the best place to begin is on the very first day. Ladies and Gentleman, if you're sitting comfortably, I shall begin...

Thursday 26th June 2008

The other half and I left Doncaster at around 10am, getting the train down to London. We'd booked it well in advance (April in fact), so an open return ticket cost us just £21 each. Of course, we had to specify which trains we would be travelling on, but with a walk on single fare costing £66, it's well worth planning in advance!

On arrival at London King's Cross, we had a three hour wait until our Eurostar left for Paris. We made our way to St. Pancras to find that there were around 12 seats in the entire 'pre-check in' area. We ended up sitting on a metal bar, getting a very numb bum, doing logic puzzles in a book we'd bought.

After two bum-numbing hours, we could finally check in. As is compulsory, I beeped as I went through the security gate. Turns out it was my railcard (?!) setting it off. Fair enough.

Anyway - after another hour of sitting around, we finally got on the Eurostar and we were underway.

Just outside Paris, I'd say 15 miles or so, we stopped. A minute passed. Ten minutes passed. Being rather sceptical at the best of times, I had a sneaky feeling that all was not well. I was proven correct when the announcer said there was a lineside fire near Paris, and that we couldn't progress until it was put out.

An hour and a quarter later, we progressed! Thankfully though, in a wonderful gesture by Eurostar, they have offered everyone on the train a half price ticket to anywhere on the Eurostar route.

When we got to Paris, we got robbed by a bloke in the metro station. One tip for you all - know which ticket to buy before you get there!
We asked a passerby(a bad move as it turns out) which ticket to buy, and he told us that a single to Bussy-Saint-Georges would cost us €12.50 each. He got us it on his travelcard and asked us for the money. We paid him €30.00 and he gave us 50c change before running off. The cheek of it! It could have been worse, we could have given him a €50 note.

We finally got on the metro (very very hot, and very smelly) to Chatelet-Les Halles, and changed onto an RER to Bussy-Saint-Georges.

It turns out the ticket should have cost us €4.95. Such is life.

The hotel was finally found at 10pm, as the sun was setting over our eventful, and not necessarily enjoyable, first day of our holiday. This was after walking ten minutes in the wrong direction after the map we printed out was wrong. We asked a local on a bike who was very helpful and pointed us in the right direction.

The Campanile hotel in Bussy-Saint-Georges is ideal for Disneyland-goers, as the walk to the station takes around 7-8 minutes, and it's far cheaper than the DLRP Hotels.

We went to bed tired and exhausted, but we knew that tomorrow we'd be going to the park - and oh boy were we excited!

(To be continued...)

Bit of a bad start but it can only get better ,We are staying at the premire classe in bussy st george in 4 weeks I think its near the campilmile so any tips will be helpful regarding trains and fares and times to and from disney from bussy .:wizard: cant wait to hear more :wizard:

OMG what a start... :scared1:

So sorry you were delayed and even worse robbed but hopefully the days in the park cheered you up. :hug:

:scared1: what a rotten start to your trip in Paris.
Reminds us all that whenever in a large centre that even though you are on holiday. Someone is looking out to rip off the innocent :thumbsup2

What a horrible start. We're staying at the Campanile in 23 days' time so I will be interested to see what you thought of it :)

What a horrid first day :grouphug: hopefully tomorrow will be full of Disney Magic for you. :wizard:

Poor you with such a bad start. Hopefully it made the magic even more magical.

As you say, at least it was only about 20 Euros; it could have been much more. Your first paragraph suggests that you had a good time despite this though, which is what's important!

:scared1: what a rotten start to your trip in Paris.
Reminds us all that whenever in a large centre that even though you are on holiday. Someone is looking out to rip off the innocent :thumbsup2

Especially when you're on holiday I would say. Some people (in any country and of any nationality) detect a non-native accent and home in on them to take advantage of them.

The story continues...

Friday 27th June 2008

So today was Disneyland Paris day 1 of 4, and we were very excited as we got up at 07:30 and jumped in the shower, raring to go.

For breakfast, we noticed there was a bakery (boulangerie) next to the station. We wandered down at around 08:30 and bought a 'pan au chocolat' and a 'pave chocolat' (which was basically chocolatey bread) for €1 each, which is very reasonable.

It is also worth noting that there is a supermarket (called Champion) next to the station. This is very useful for purchasing prepacked sandwiches, crisps, fruit and chocolate to take into the park for lunch. It opens 09:00-21:00 on weekdays and Saturday, and 09:00-12:30 on Sundays.

We decided to play with the ticket machine in the station to see if we could figure out which ticket we needed. We couldn't, so went to the staffed desk to buy our tickets. The lady told us which ones we needed, and so, for those staying in Bussy, here is what you do:

1) Change the language to English on the machine.
2) Click on 'Purchase Tickets/Passes' etc.
3) Click on 'Tickets for the Paris Region' (nb. NOT Paris)
4) Scroll down to 'M'.
5) Find Marne la Vallee Chessy.
6) Click 'Full Fare'
7) Select how many tickets you want to buy.

Et Voila! The price will come up as a very reasonable €2.10 single. So based on that, it's €4.20 return from Bussy every day which is more than reasonable in my opinion.

As our train pulled into MLV, the exctement rose. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as the escalator rose slowly to reveal the huge Disney Village sign to our right. I glanced left and saw the Disneyland Hotel. We were back. It had been 9 months, but once I set eyes on the place again, it was like we'd never left.

Excitedly, we rushed to the park entrance. Despite EMH being 8-10, the turnstiles onto Main Street opened at 09:30 and we were allowed to browse the shops until the lands opened.

The queue for Frontierland was quite big, so we joined it in good time.

Quiet tension filled the air, and then there it was. The music boomed over the loudspeakers - we were in! The rope dropped and people charged towards Big Thunder Mountain. I mean, who wouldn't?!

Our plan was simple. We have four days - let's ride as much as possible without overdoing it. We could take things very slightly slower than in the past.

Our masterplan for the day, and indeed subsequent days, was to get a fastpass for BTM as soon as we entered Frontierland, and then head straight for Pirates. This worked well on the first day, as our fastpass time was 11:00, giving us an hour to walk leisurely to Pirates, ride it, and then stroll back to BTM.

In total, we managed 17 rides on the first day in the park (which I will list later in the review process).

The first day was special, as we had booked a birthday surprise at Plaza Gardens. It was truly magical. The price has gone up to €19 (DLRP food guide stated 18), but it was definitely worth it.

We were seated, and a birthday card was waiting for us on the table. We went and got the buffet (mainly dessert, but with hash browns, bread and sausage also on offer). Minutes later, CM's came out with a birthday cake, complete with lit candle. It was lovely.

A few minutes later, ten characters (yes - ten!) ran in and started singing and dancing. They all came round to every table and many photos were taken and autographs signed.

If that wasn't enough, they left - and we were thoroughly pleased with the occasion. As we were starting to think about leaving, ten more characters charged in! Unbelievable! To top it all off, everyone received a small gift - which I won't reveal incase it spoils it for anyone!

€19 for a birthday cake, a gift, a card, an all you can eat buffet and 20 characters coming to your table. Not bad really!

We decided to treat ourself on the first evening, and went to the Rainforest Cafe as it looked so interesting.

I had the:

Savanna Parmigiani - Breaded turkey escalope topped with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella. Served with spaghetti.

It was very nice, but very expensive. The service was good and efficient, very different to the service we received 5 days later in the same restaurant, but that's to follow!

After all the days have been spoken about, I'll post a summary and review of the rides we went on - and also of the food we ate.

At the moment, I'm just giving a brief overview of what we did on each day.

Next up is Saturday - a day in Paris... watch this space!

20 characters? Wow! :cool1:

Do you know (or does anyone) whether the same characters also attend the 'normal' (non-birthday) tea party?

20 characters? Wow! :cool1:

Do you know (or does anyone) whether the same characters also attend the 'normal' (non-birthday) tea party?

Yes. The birthday tea party and non birthday tea party are held at the same time - but only those whove booked the birthday one get the cake and gift- the rest is the same (food, characters etc)

it's sounding very good, would love to hear what you think about the hotel. Currently trying to work out the cheapest way to go for the halloween celebrations in October x

great day thanks for the info on the trains from bussy we wil be doing the same in just over 3 weeks :woohoo: (is the child price the same??) we also have 4 days in the park and tea at the plaza booked so I wil be hanging on your every word:wizard:

The story continues...

Saturday 28th June 2008

Paris. Not a city I had often thought of visiting, to be honest. The last time I went, in 1998, I was a mere eleven years old and it was a grey, dank day in January. The impression I got from the bus wasn't a favourable one.

I thought it was about time I gave it a second chance, so on the Saturday we decided to get the RER from Bussy in the opposite direction of Disneyland (it hurt so much... *sobs*).

Anyway - after about twelve stops (I exaggerate not), we got off the train at Charles de Gaulle - Etoile, which is the station underneath the Arc de Triomph. What a fantastic structure this is. To say it's only 165ft high, it looks very imposing. We decided we were going to go up it, and for just over €5 (can't recall exactly how much, sorry), the views were well worth it.

One word of warning - if you don't like staircases, particularly spiral ones, you may be spooked out by the ascent. It's very compact and rather claustrophobic on the way up/down, so if your head for heights or enclosed spaces isn't great, you may not enjoy it.

The views from the top, as I said previously, were astounding. The Eiffel Tower of course stood proud, and La Defense, the skyscraper district, looked splendid in the other direction.

Paris is a fantastic city, and a big one, and you could see almost all of it from this amazing structure.

Following on from this, we walked down the infamous Champs-Elysees. For you ladies out there (and gents in fact), the bags in Louis Vuitton were rather nice and rather expensive.

€200,000+ for a luggage trunk. Amazing.

We called off for a ham and cheese baguette in a cafe, and entered probably the biggest Virgin Megastore in the world. This shop was BIG! I know it sounds daft to spend an hour in a shop when looking round Paris, but we did. As a university music student, I found the range of classical and non-traditional CDs very interesting.

After this, we headed for the riverfront, where we would walk to the Louvre. Before long, the famous pyramid entered our sights and we entered.

I'm not an art fan. In fact, I find it quite boring, but we spent a good 2 hours looking round the museum. It wasn't the most enthralling experience of my life, but I found the 7,000 year old Egyptian artifacts astonishing. How anything that old could be so intact was hard to grasp, especially seeing as many of the 19th century sculptures were missing heads etc!

After seeing the Mona Lisa, we decided to go to Notre Dame. Our legs were shattered by this point, so using my geographical knowledge I decided to head for Les Halles (the same station we changed at on the first day) to get the RER to St Michel which is the Notre Dame station. I also knew there was a big shopping centre (Les Halles Forum I seem to recall), and we were starving. We had a 'Quick' burger meal, which is like BK or McDonalds. Now I'm not a huge fan of fast food, but good god did it go down well!

After this break, we nipped to the loo (€0.50 for a wee!) and headed for the RER station, where we waited 45 minutes for a train not to turn up. We gave up and walked!

After fifteen minutes, the wonderful Notre Dame cathedral came into view. Photos were taken, drinks were drunk and we were off again - this time to St Michel RER station for a train to the Eiffel Tower.

We didn't have long to wait, and a short 10 minute journey saw us underneath this fantastic structure. The temperature was close to 30 and we saw people being hosed down!

One thing we did notice were armed French military walking round - a sad symbol of our times, unfortunately. After dishing out €3.50 for a 500ml bottle (the going rate in France is €2.50 - €3.50, it seems), we walked back to the Arc de Triomph and got the RER back to Bussy. A very very busy day, but one which I enjoyed.

If you want to see Paris, you have to walk - alot!

Sunday 29th June 2008

Haha... oh dear oh dear. What a day this turned out to be. We thought we'd have a lazy day with it being a Sunday, and with us still being tired from Paris. Rather than lay about in the hotel all day, we thought about going to Val d'Europe - just one stop down the RER line, seperating Bussy from Marne la Vallee.

Once off the train at Val d'Europe, we noticed the town was quiet - as was the shopping centre.

Closed.

Great.

Now what?!

I looked to the horizon, and Disney Village and the Hollywood Tower of Terror looked tantalisingly close.

"Let's walk it", says I.

So we did.

It's not that close after all - it took us a good hour to do it, and I reckon we walked 3 miles.

In a straight line, you're looking at a mile or less - but we had to follow the roads and it curved and bent all over the place! It was another hot day, and tempers were slightly frayed when we got to Disney Village. I settled that by treating us to a McDonalds milkshake. All smiles again after that!

Anyway - we spent a couple of hours looking round the shops and headed back on the RER to Bussy-Saint-Georges, where we spent the evening watching the Euro 2008 final.

It was bed time once again, and we went to the land of nod knowing that we had three, yes THREE, consecutive days of Disneyland. How could we be so lucky?

(To be continued...)

Enjoying your reports Matt, and things definately took a turn for the better after your bad experience on Day One. :thumbsup2
Interested in your Paris Day, people are always surprised that despite visiting DLP several times, I've never ventured into Paris, but TBH I'm not an art, musuem, historic building type of person and OH is not a "shopping" type, so I kindof think one or other of us is going to be extremely disappointed. OH has been before with a school trip.
Just to be able to say we've been, I'm tempted to book one of the evening trips and that way won't have to miss any Dis. time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter