Just made the switch to RCCL...

beccawes7471

Mouseketeer
We just booked Adventure of the Seas 7 day Southern itinerary for spring break 2017. My daughter, sister in law and I just got off the 4 night Disney Magic, which we would rate as A++++, over the moon awesome. We rebooked while on board for a 5 night, well turned out I had our 2017 spring break dates wrong, duh. The only Disney options we had was another 4 night or a 7 night on the Fantasy. We all really wanted a 7 night and the Fantasy just really wasnt in our budget to be honest and we are really interested in a southern itinerary. This trip will be my family of 4 (myself, DH, Ds (17 at time of sailing) and dd (7 at time of sailing) and my sister in law. My teenage son was also interested in a boat that might have a bit more for him to do activities wise and my daughter spent most of our Disney cruise at the pool, only 3 hours total in the kids club, so I think this will be a good compromise for all parties and even though the drinks seem to be almost twice the price of those we had on Disney, it would take more than we could ever consume to make up the cruise price difference:) So we booked what we think is a pretty good deal for two balcony cabins (never in our Dis budget) and look forward to all that AOS, RCCL and the Southern Caribbean has to offer come March 2017!

We just booked Adventure of the Seas 7 day Southern itinerary for spring break 2017. My daughter, sister in law and I just got off the 4 night Disney Magic, which we would rate as A++++, over the moon awesome. We rebooked while on board for a 5 night, well turned out I had our 2017 spring break dates wrong, duh. The only Disney options we had was another 4 night or a 7 night on the Fantasy. We all really wanted a 7 night and the Fantasy just really wasnt in our budget to be honest and we are really interested in a southern itinerary. This trip will be my family of 4 (myself, DH, Ds (17 at time of sailing) and dd (7 at time of sailing) and my sister in law. My teenage son was also interested in a boat that might have a bit more for him to do activities wise and my daughter spent most of our Disney cruise at the pool, only 3 hours total in the kids club, so I think this will be a good compromise for all parties and even though the drinks seem to be almost twice the price of those we had on Disney, it would take more than we could ever consume to make up the cruise price difference:) So we booked what we think is a pretty good deal for two balcony cabins (never in our Dis budget) and look forward to all that AOS, RCCL and the Southern Caribbean has to offer come March 2017!

I think you will be very happy with the switch. My family was. We took the Liberty a few weeks ago after sailing on all 4 Disney ships. We decided to stick with Royal for our next cruise. As far as the drinks go, look at getting the package. We really enjoyed having that and feel that we got our money's worth & like you said, it still doesn't even come close to the price difference between Royal and Disney.

I think you will be very happy with the switch. My family was. We took the Liberty a few weeks ago after sailing on all 4 Disney ships. We decided to stick with Royal for our next cruise. As far as the drinks go, look at getting the package. We really enjoyed having that and feel that we got our money's worth & like you said, it still doesn't even come close to the price difference between Royal and Disney.

Also, you don't have to have all adults in a room getting the package- if one of you is a larger drinker than the other.

After 16 Disney cruises, we tried Adventure of The Seas, and have now taken 5 RCL cruises since April, 2013, (one on Adventure of The Seas (Transatlantic San Juan-Southampton, UK), two on Independence of The Seas (European Sampler 4 night back-to-back with Transatlantic Southampton, UK - Fort Lauderdale), one on Explorer of The Seas (New York to Bahamas) and one on Brilliance of The Seas (Transatlantic Tampa-Harwich, UK)) with two more scheduled for October 2016 on Harmony of The Seas, a Western Mediterranean back-to-back with a Transatlantic. We went on Adventure with low expectations, knowing it wasn't Disney, but it was the only thing we could afford at the time we were able to travel. We loved the experience. We're and older couple who travel with no kids, but all the kids on all of our RCCL cruises have seemed to be having a wonderful time.

We don't drink enough to buy a package, but didn't find the drink prices out of line with what we spend at a nice restaurant at home. The ships don't look as nice from the outside, but the inside is lovely, the food was about the same, the crew as just as wonderful. The entertainment is different, and sometimes "not suitable for kids", but most of it has been very good. Of course, none of the RCCL cruises go to Castaway Cay, and on the two occasions where we stopped at Coco Cay, we didn't go to the island since we don't like to tender.

Disney cruises are wonderful, but for us they are no longer worth the price. The "Disney Difference", at least for us, really is only the price.

Beth

We are also leaving DCL to try RCL Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean the Dec 31! Our reasons are much the same as yours. It's such a port-intensive itinerary, I bet you will consume much less onboard than you imagine, and your kids won't have much time to miss the kids clubs. From what I've read, the kids clubs leave a lot to be desired on this itinerary. However, did you know that the Adventure of the Seas is going for dry dock in November, and *should* be outfitted with a flowrider? Good news for your teen!
Enjoy your vacation!

Which week are you booked? I'm heading on AOS March 11, 2017! I can't wait! My parents went on her this year and LOVED LOVED LOVED the southern itinerary. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear what they are doing to AOS during her drydock in October. I hope she gets the flow rider like the Navigator did!

Cannot wait to be on the AoS in less than 3 weeks!

It's an older ship with less bells and whistles but it's all about the ports of call out of SJU for us.

imo the prices are pretty much the same on all the lines, based upon what I drink that is.:) Last sailing on Celebrity we had 'free' drinks, certainly was nice not thinking twice about it. Not bothering with purchasing the drink package since only we only have one sea day, just wouldn't do it justice. Drinks are cheap in the ports anyway. Nothing better than sitting under an umbrella with a bucket of cold ones...aaaah.

OP what itinerary for you? I'm excited for new port for us - Antigua.

Which week are you booked? I'm heading on AOS March 11, 2017! I can't wait! My parents went on her this year and LOVED LOVED LOVED the southern itinerary. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear what they are doing to AOS during her drydock in October. I hope she gets the flow rider like the Navigator did!
We are on the 3/18/17 departure, we are def hoping for flow rider and maybe the Sabor restaurant- hope you have a great time!

The ships don't look as nice from the outside

Ah, that's an "eye of the beholder" thing. I far prefer the nice clean white lines of Royal vs the Titanic look of Disney.

on the two occasions where we stopped at Coco Cay, we didn't go to the island since we don't like to tender.

Fainting! Coco is so nice. We were so sad we couldn't get to it a couple weeks ago b/c of weather/wind. Terrific place. Only thing Castaway has over it, in my opinion, is the 5K. Other than that, I never have to go to Castaway again if I can consistently get to Coco. (come on Royal, build a pier!)

OP I've only ordered wine on Disney, so I don't know the prices of cocktails, but the wine (oh and a beer once) seemed in line with Royal.

Us too. We've done two DCL and will try Liberty this July. I'm sure we are going to miss the Disney magic but we love to travel so much that I'm interested in trying something else.

My DD has a question: is there a place to get ice cream that you don't pay extra for? (she told me that's all she cares about!)

My DD is an only child and very social and while I hear the kids clubs are not as open hours as Disney, it seems as if they have plenty to do while they are open. I'm hoping she'll be able to enjoy her time too.

Anyone know about on board texting like the DCL app or wave phones?

Us too. We've done two DCL and will try Liberty this July. I'm sure we are going to miss the Disney magic but we love to travel so much that I'm interested in trying something else.

My DD has a question: is there a place to get ice cream that you don't pay extra for? (she told me that's all she cares about!)

My DD is an only child and very social and while I hear the kids clubs are not as open hours as Disney, it seems as if they have plenty to do while they are open. I'm hoping she'll be able to enjoy her time too.

Anyone know about on board texting like the DCL app or wave phones?

there is a free soft serve machine on deck, with cones. one thing to be aware of is that it often closes early, like 4-6 pm. i have no idea why - i guess they want you to buy ben and jerry's after that!

you can also order ice cream for dessert in the main dining room, even if it's not on the menu. they generally have chocolate, vanilla, and a flavor of the day, and it seems to be available for both lunch and dinner. there is a brownie sundae on the kids' dinner menu that is the bomb; i get it almost every night, even though i'm over 40. :)

certain royal ships have onboard texting apps, but not liberty, unless she got it in her recent dry dock, but i don't think so. they do have phones that are the equivalent of wave phones, so you can keep track of kids in the clubs. they are not in your stateroom, so i'm not sure where you get them - maybe in the kids' clubs themselves? also, they are limited in number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter