Just me and my 3 year old, first trip!

danielle&aidan

Earning My Ears
I've been completely sucked into this website and have spent countless late nights lately reading the boards. I figured I'd register and stop lurking. :cool1:

My 3 year old and I are leaving (from NC) for Tampa in 12 days to spend some time with family, then heading over to 3 days at Disney!

I grew up in Tampa and have been to Disney countless times. Being such a short drive away, I've never stayed on site before, so this is a new experience for me too. I have a few questions.

We have 2 nights at the Allstar Movie and 2 day park tickets. We're driving over the morning of the 13th and doing one park, doing MK the next day, checking out of the hotel the morning of the 15th and going to Chef Mickey's (I am SO excited about this! I've never done a character meal before). At that point, we're either driving back or going to Sea World with my sister, driving a couple hours, and grapping a cheap hotel for the night.

Anyway, with just me and the munchkin, would you do Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom?

What kind of stuff would you reccomend bringing into the park to either save money or for convenience?

We're renting a stroller. When you do rides, do you leave stuff in the stroller? Nothing valuable (snacks, change of clothes, etc), but I guess my question is, what is the likelihood that people take the wrong stroller or something like that? Maybe a dumb question, but with it being just the two of us, this will definitely influence how much stuff I bring if I have to lug it all with me or get a locker.

Is mid-April a busy time of year?

Since we're driving, we'll have a car. Would you drive to the parks or take the bus?

What am I missing? :)

Thanks in advance for your help! These boards are awesome! :woohoo:

The strollers are great for storage. Everyone leaves there strollers in the "stroller parking" area. We have never had any problems with theft.
Obviously we don't leave valuables but we have left hats, jackets.
There are big cards that you write your name on and insert it into the plastic sleeve on the back of the stroller.
We did have our stoller mistakenly taken once. But within a few minutes the family came back when they realized they had the wrong stroller.

I would take the Disney buses to the parks. So convenient when staying at Disney resorts.

Your 3 year old would enjoy both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. But if I had to choose one I would say Hollywood Studios because of all the shows geared towards the little ones. Animal Kingdom is a LOT of walking.
My girls prefer Hollywood and when we go to DW we plan two days at each park except for Animal where we only go for one day.

Enjoy your trip!

Personally for such a short trip I would spend both days at MK. We ent last sept and my DD was 3 1/2 and she was so mad when the first day we went to the studios instead of MK, it was her third trip but at that age MK is Disney world and I mean only MK. We always plan two days at MK just so we can take it slow and we can ride everything she wants to ride at least once if not two or three times. I would go to Studios though if you are looking for another park. She enjoys it a lot better that AK. there's a lot more for her to do, playhouse Disney, little mermaid, beauty and the beast, TOY STORY MANIA etc. The block party at studios is great too, she got to see/meet a lot of her favorite pixar charcters

If I had to do my ds's 3yo trip over again I'd do 2 days at MK. You'll be driving and then doing the park...so you won't be there at rope drop. I'd plan a few hours at MK, a rest at the resort, and then back to MK for the evening. If you don't make it back, or if after the evening there's still alot to see I'd do MK again. If you feel you've seen everything he/she is interested in, then I'd to HS. But I really don't think you'll exhaust MK in one short day.

I vote for the 2 days at MK too..and Chef Mickey you will "hear" alot of Love It/Hate It....I apparently am extremely biased :lmao: but I think you & your little one will LOVE it ! Have a great trip

Hmm, I didn't even think of doing MK twice. Hmmmm...

There are so many decisions to make!! lol

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Okay...just me...I'd buy a hopper and start with breakfast at Tusker House where he'd get to meet Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Daisy. Then I'd ride the safari, go see the Nemo show or Lion King show...then head to the Studios.

There I'd probably do Toy Story Mania, the Animator's Studio, The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Muppets, and Playhouse Disney. Be sure to take him to Pizza Planet...and end the day with Fantasmic if it's running.

If I had to choose between the two, it would depend a whole lot on his interests, but I'd strongly lean towards the Studios. AK is do danged hot...and tiring. The Studios has a better mix of inside/outside stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter