• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just my daughter and me, Day Seven

Lagoongirl

Earning My Ears
Day Seven

Characters:
Me- 41, Lucky Mom, Haven’t been to Disneyland in 12 years
Kylie, DD-5, 1st trip to Disneyland

Sunday, September 18

Plan- Disneyland, California Adventure, Princess Lunch at Ariel’s Grotto

Once again we were up early at 6:30. We had our usual breakfast at Hampton. The breakfasts are all the same every morning, but that’s okay, they are included in the price, which in my case was free.

By 8:30 we were on our way. We entered the park shortly before rope drop and once again I snuck through the connecting stores on the right side of Main Street and popped out at rope drop. Our first stop was Fantasyland. We rode PP, Snow White, Pinocchio. We ran into Cinderella and were lucky enough to be the last ones to see her before she went on her break. We got a picture because as I said in one of my earlier reports, Kylie absolutely loves Cinderella. Then we went to Buzz and got a FP before heading to Frontierland to ride Pooh. As we were coming off of Pooh, we saw all the pooh characters in front of the ride. There was no one else there so we got them all to ourselves. We went to a store and I bought Kylie a big lollipop. By now it was almost 9:30 (wow, we did a lot in that short of time) so we exited Disneyland and headed over to California Adventure.

I had heard that they sometimes open SOC early so we entered the park and went to check that out. Sure enough SOC was open, but the line was 20 minutes so I went and picked up a FP (10:20-11:20) and went toward GRR to await the rope drop. As we passed GRR we didn’t want to get wet yet, so I picked up a FP (10:35-11:35). GRR is not connected to the rest of the FPs so I was able to get another one even though my time for SOC was not up yet.

We headed over to PP and rode the Sun Wheel. We got in one of the moving carts. I thought it was one of the most unique ferris wheels I’d been on. I thought it was actually quite fun. Kylie, on the other hand, didn’t care for it. She didn’t like the unexpected lurch of the cart. We rode JJ. There are a few rides in PP that are lame, but kids like them, and I also believe that they are true to what the piers were in the past. It’s authentic. So when people complain about PP and the rides that are there, I always wonder what they expect. Disney is just being authentic in their themeing.

It is now past 10:20 so we go over to MM to get a FP to add to our growing collection. MM is down and they tell me it won’t open for another 45 minutes. We ride the Golden Zephyr. I used to work at an amusement park when I was a teenager and we used to have a ride just like this there (except it was way old) that I worked a few times. That brought back some memories. (See, Disney is accomplishing its objective!!!)

We head over to GRR and grab another FP. We now have two FPs for GRR. We get in line to use one of them and the CM tells us to save it for later as the line as there is no wait. I put on Kylie’s poncho and off we go. Kylie didn’t like it much. The getting wet and the hills were more than she cared for. As the ride was ending I reached in my pocket and gave my 4 FPs to GRR to the family we were riding with. I knew Kylie wouldn’t want to ride it again and they might as well not go to waste.

We now head over to SOC. I’ve heard so much about this ride and I’ve always wanted to try hangliding so I was looking forward to it. This was one ride that if Kylie didn’t like I was planning on being a mean parent and making her ride it again and again. We grabbed another FP for it before going in to use our first FP. After a 10 minute wait we were on. We were in the third row. I’d heard that the hanging feet were annoying so only the first row was good, but that didn’t bother me all that much. Anyway, I loved it!!! And joy of all joys, Kylie did too!!! Yes!!!

After the ride, we head over to Hollywood to catch the Aladdin show. I’m somewhat skeptical of shows just because I love thrill rides so much that it’s hard for me to sit and enjoy a show, (I’m one of those weird ones that would rather go to the top of the Empire State Building than see a Broadway show) but I had heard a lot of good things about this show so I was willing to try it. Before getting in the line I went over to TOT to get a FP, but I noticed that I still had 6 minutes left before my SOC FP time came up. I noticed the line for Aladdin growing and decided to pick it up after the show.

We opted for the balcony seating and though we were far from the stage it gave us a better overall view. The show was great and the genie was hilarious. This show is very, very well done. Two thumbs up!!!

After the show I go back to TOT and get a FP. Then we go to Pacific Wharf for lunch. I get clam chowder in a bread bowl, Kylie gets a turkey sandwich, and we share a huge cinnamon roll. After lunch we went back to PP to see if MM was open yet. The ride was open, but they were not using the FP machines. The wait was 45 minutes. We have a ride at the amusement park we live near that is almost the same so we decided to skip it.

We go back to SOC and ride it again picking up another FP (3:00-4:00) before we go in. This time we got the first row. This is now my favorite ride!!!

It is nearing time for the next Playhouse Disney show so we head back to Hollywood. To be honest, I’ve been avoiding PD. I went in WDW with my other daughter and hated sitting on the floor with screaming toddlers everywhere. I ask Kylie if she wants to go see PD. She says no. I say what??? She says no she doesn’t want to see PD. I thought of questioning why not, but then thought of my good fortune of not having to sit through that show. We go in the Animation building and there’s one minute until the next Turtle Talk show so we hop in line. The show is very cute, but I wouldn’t go if I didn’t have kids. (Course, remember my comment about shows earlier. They have to be outstanding for me to want to go. I think other adults would like this show.) After TT, we check out the animation portion of the building but it is closed for refurbishment so we go to the Sorcerer’s workshop. After a few minutes wait we got on game that tells you what kind of Disney character you are. I end up being like Mulan and Jiminy. Kylie ends up being like Dot and Lumiere. I can’t remember why we got two. Maybe we did it twice answering one question differently or something. Sorry, not sure now and I didn’t take good notes. We did the voice over thing too and I happened to get the hiccups shortly before we did it so it was funny to listen to it and me hiccupping as we’re singing.

We went over to Muppetvision and though Kylie doesn’t care for 3-D movies she didn’t mind this one. We went to TOT to use our FP. Kylie’s older sister had warned her about this one so she didn’t want to ride it. I talked her into doing it just once. I was a bad mommy!!! She did not like it and actually cried. Bad, bad mommy!!!

To make it up to her I took to a Bug’s Land. She had a great time on all of those rides. The bumper cars broke down, so we got off and went and rode Lady Bug Boogie. The bumper cars were quickly fixed so we went back and tried again. We got caught in a big jam and the ride was slow like Knott’s. It is made for kids so I guess it’s not to be expected that they would be fast. Not a lot of fun, though. As we exited a Bug’s Land the Block Party Bash was going on so we quickly found and spot and watched.

After BPB we went back to see if FP had opened on MM. It had not and there was a 15 minute wait. After the waits at Knott’s I was not going to wait 15 minutes. Between the use of FP and everything else we had not waited more than 10 minutes all day. Most of the time it was less than that. Because SOC is a movie that you watch, sometimes you have to wait about 10 minutes even if you’re in the front of the line, so SOC was the longest we had waited. So we skip MM again.

We had a few minutes to kill before our FP time for SOC so I took Kylie over to the MGR and watched her ride it. We went over to use our FP at SOC. This time we got the 3rd row again. The rows were not a big irritant to me. I enjoyed the ride no matter what row I was on and the little bit of feet I could see above me didn’t phase me because I was mostly looking downward at the movie. Love this ride!!!

We decide to go back to Disneyland. Our first stop is a FP to Buzz and then we go ride Small World again. Lots of people make fun of Small World, but it is one of my favorites!!! We then went to Toon Town and picked up a FP for RR. We went through Mickey and Minnie’s houses. At Mickey’s house there was no wait to meet Mickey so we did that. We rode Gadget’s Go Coaster twice because Kylie loves it so much. Chip & Dale’s treehouse was boring, even for Kylie so I took her to Goofy’s Bounce House. My camera’s battery was not holding its charge so we went to one of the stores and bought a disposable camera. We rode RR and then took some fun pictures in Toon Town.

We went back to the main park and used our FP for Buzz and then head over to find a spot for Fantasmic. We snagged a spot across from Café Orleans in front of the speakers. I had read in a book that the speakers lift up out of the way when the show starts. People don’t know this so they avoid that spot. A lady by me was freaking out because some teenagers had butt in front of her. A CM had to come calm her down. She had two little kids and I don’t think she knew much about teenagers. Even though we all wish they’d be polite, it doesn’t always work that way. I think she thought if she made a big enough stink they would move. But they ended up just looking at her like she was nuts. The speakers lifted and the show began. The show is pretty good, but I got really fatigued from holding Kylie. It is a standing only show and it was crowded enough that Kylie could not see without me holding her.

After Fantasmic we left the park and we were back in our room and in bed by 11.

Highlights: Soarin, Aladdin, getting so much done

Downers: Bad, bad mommy making Kylie ride TOT

Wow you packed loads in, makes me feel silly that we are planning 5 days, you did almost everything we want in a day! I was quite suprised you went into TOT, my daughter would not even contemplate that, but I am hoping she will do Muppets this time (she also doesn't like 3D). I know what you mean about sitting on the floor in PD that was the worst bit, unfortunately I don't think my daughter will say no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter