• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just my daughter and me, Day Three

Lagoongirl

Earning My Ears
Day Three

Characters:
Me- 41, Lucky Mom, Haven’t been to Disneyland in 12 years
Kylie, DD-5, 1st trip to Disneyland

Wednesday, September 14

Plan- Sea World, Laundry, Swim

If you are only interested in a Disney trip report, please move ahead to day 5. The first part of our trip was spent in San Diego and I will report on our activities there.

Sea World didn’t open until 10 so we were able to have a leisurely morning. We got up at 7:30 and Kylie watched some TV while I got ready. The blow dryer about blew up right in my hands. It kept stopping and I had to let it cool before it would start again. Then it finally had too much and it sparked and stopped permanently. My hair was only half way done. I called maintenance and they sent a guy up to install a new one. It wasn’t in time to save my hair so I had a bad hair day.

We ate breakfast at 8:30 and I forgot to put the DO NOT DISTURB sign out so when we returned from breakfast the maid was cleaning our room. My bag was sitting there open with all of my money showing. She was honest though as it wasn’t touched.

We were ready so even though it was still early we left for Sea World at 9:20, drove really slow, and arrived at the gates at 9:40. Our first ride was on Journey to Atlantis. My daughter had never been on anything but a kiddie coaster so this was a test to see how she was going to fare. When we approached the ride, Kylie said it looked cool, so I thought we were going to be okay. Well, it didn’t look so cool when she was on it. She ended up screaming and not liking it.

We went to feed the dolphins but they had canceled the 10:30 feeding because they had cleaned and refilled the pool and there wasn’t enough water in it yet. We spent the next half an hour exploring the World of Sea exhibit, the tide pools and Forbidden Reef. I remember as a child being in awe at Sea World when I got to touch and hold the animals. Kylie was a trooper and enjoyed touching the sea stars and the rays.

The Dolphin Discovery show started at 11 and we entered the theatre at 10:50. The place was packed. I thought because it was off season that we wouldn’t have to deal with crowds. Luckily it was only two of us so we were able to squeeze in without too much trouble. We sat behind this group that had the fussiest newborn I’ve ever seen. Most of the time, newborns just sit there and sleep, but this one cried and cried. I was torn between feeling sorry for the mom because she wasn’t getting much of a vacation and feeling sorry for the rest of us that couldn’t hear a thing in the show. The sun was pretty hot too, so after the show we decided that a hat was in order. We bought a cute purple one that Kylie liked along with some viewmaster cartridges ($19.37) and she wore it the rest of the day.

I thought the Clyde and Seamore Show started at 12:15 so we took our time in the store. We came out of the store and headed to the Clyde show and discovered that it started at 12 and was already 10 minutes into the show. We quickly went to the Haunted Lighthouse show at 12:15. Kylie wasn’t sure about this because her sister had told her how scary the 3D shows were at Disneyworld so she wasn’t too excited about this show. The show is not very scary and I think many five year olds can easily handle it. Mine had just been prepped for awful. She tolerated it fine. She didn’t much like it, but she wasn’t freaked out or anything.

We rushed over to the Shamu Adventure show which started at 1. There was no time to eat or go to the bathroom. Kylie was complaining of being hungry. I promised her lunch after this show. This show always touches something deep inside of me. I’m a huge animal lover and when I watch these animals behave the way they do and the affection that exists between them and their trainers I always have to fight off tears. It is a great show that should not be missed.

After Shamu, we had lunch at Shipwreck Café where I had a bacon cheeseburger, Kylie had a hot dog, we both had fries and shared a big delicious piece of chocolate cake ($21.51). The restaurant is interesting as its built in the middle of the Shipwreck Rapids ride so all these boats are passing by your tables as you eat. After lunch we rode Wild Arctic and went through the Penquin Encounter and Shark Encounter. Kylie had been looking forward to feeding the dolphins and there was a 3:15 feeding. I was hoping to feed the dolphins and get back in time to see the Pets Rule show, but the line to buy fish for the dolphins was long so we had to miss the show. Kylie really enjoyed feeding the dolphins and the dolphins were so engaging. We didn’t even have to have a fish in our hand for them to come up to us, come out of the water, spend a couple of seconds, click (talk) at us, before they moved on. I’ve been to Sea World in Florida 3 times and the dolphins there wouldn’t give the time of day unless you had a fish and even then it was eat and run. It was a lot of fun and not to be missed.

The Clyde and Seamore show didn’t start for another 45 minutes so Kylie played at Shamu’s Happy Harbor for a little while. We spent some time feeding the sea lions before going to the show.($12.00 for fish for both dolphins and sea lions). They were pretty noisy and aggressive. They would fight each other for the food and bark loudly. I thought they were so cute, but Kylie was intimidated by their aggressiveness.

We arrived a little early for the Clyde and Seamore show because they always have a pre show here that is pretty funny. They are usually mimes in Florida, but the guy here wasn’t a mime. He spoke to the audience and was really funny. I suggest arriving to this show early to catch the pre show. Clyde and Seamore is always a funny, entertaining show. I’m always amazed at how they are able to train those animals to do what they do. It’s like they are part human!!

I paid $6.00 extra to ride the sky ride across the bay. I’ve never understood why they charge extra for that ride, but we wanted to say we’d done just about everything so I forked it out. The day was drawing to a close and we saved Shipwreck Rapids for last because Kylie doesn’t like to walk around wet. I passed a booth that was selling ponchos. I bought one ($5.39) for Kylie to up our chances of her enjoying the ride. She really doesn’t like to get wet. Of course, we rode with these obnoxious kids who kept making snide remarks to Kylie because she was wearing a poncho. On top of that, the decibel level of their voices was very annoying. The ride is pretty tame (no hills) and we have one similar to it in Salt Lake so with the poncho, Kylie had a good time, despite the annoying kids.

We were going to leave the park, but we passed by Shamu stadium and decided to catch the last few minutes of the second showing of Shamu Adventure.

I always enjoy Sea World so much.

When we got back to the hotel we did some laundry. There was only one washer and dryer per floor so we put a load into each one and while it was washing, I took Kylie across the street to Jack In the Box and got her dinner ($2.58). I wasn’t hungry. I still had chocolate cake in my system from lunch. Then I finished up the laundry. It was kind of funny as I walked floor to floor checking to see if each washing machine was done and transferring clothes to the dryer. You could not enter the building from the outside stairs to the upper floors so I would take the elevator up to the third floor, transfer laundry, take the stairs down, and then take the elevator up to the second floor, transfer laundry, take the stairs down, etc. I really started to get tired. I think the trip was catching up to me. I just wanted to curl up and go to sleep. But I still had to pack and I’d promised Kylie we could go swimming again.

We were checking out in the morning and heading north for Disneyland so I packed as much as I could so I wouldn’t have to do it in the morning. I took Kylie down for a swim. We ended up meeting a family from LA that were the same religion as us and the parents had gone to college in Utah. So while Kylie played with their kids we had some fun conversations about Utah.

We hit the sheets at 9:00. I was really beat.

Highlights: Feeding the dolphins, Shamu Adventure, Chocolate Cake

Downers: Broken hair dryer hence, bad hair day, Screaming newborn, Obnoxious kids on Shipwreck Rapids

Thanks for the wonderful trip reports !! I'm planning a trip for next summer with my DNeph (8) - we will also be doing SD for the zoo, seaworld, wild animal park and legoland - then up to Anaheim for DL/CA. I haven't been to SD or DL in 16 years since my own son was little - and DNeph is a 'zoo & animal" lover - he even goes to zoo camp here every summer! Thanks for all the detail - I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip ! :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter