• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Returned from 10 night Vistana Village stay...

baileybrad

and Casey, too!
We were at Vistana Village from Friday, January 18 to Monday, January 28, 2002. We stayed in a 2 bedroom. We are Disney Vacation Club Members so we can offer a good idea of the VV vs. the DVC resorts. I am on a break right now from work....posting this at the library. I will update this later today.

If anyone has any questions, in the meantime, please feel free to leave them.

Welcome back! Looking forward to your report as we're looking into VV for next trip!

welcome back!

We are going in April for our first time there and would love to know:

1) How far is the drive from V.V. to the WDW gates?

2) What floor were you on? How was the noise level? (I'm a very light sleeper)

3) Were children along on your trip? if so - how did they like the accommodations and pool, etc.?

Thank you so much for reading this - all of us here look forward to your report!

Lori :)

welcome back!

We are staying there in a 2 bedroom villa in April for our first time there and would love to know:

1) How far is the drive from V.V. to the WDW gates?

2) What floor were you on? How was the noise level? (I'm a very light sleeper)

3) Were children along on your trip? if so - how did they like the accommodations and pool, etc.?

Thank you so much for reading this - all of us here look forward to your report!

Lori :)

Baileybrad- Hurry! Hurry! Please give us detail. My family will be at VV shortly. I hope we won't be disappointed.

Is there a prefered building at the resort?
What will I need to bring from hom? dishsoap? Papertowels? etc
What did you think of the pool?

Thanks for the info.:)

Sorry about the "teaser" but unfortunately work sometimes gets in the way of vacation stuff:) .

First to try and answer the questions,

Rolo,
We were in building 6 on the 4th floor (the buildings are 5 stories tall). The units have paper towels, tissues, liquid dishsoap, dishwashing detergent, and soap for the bathrooms. The only thing that I can think of that most lodging places may have that VV did not provide was shampoo....we bring our own so that was no biggie. I also did not see any potholders but we just used the dishtowel folded over for the couple times that we used the oven. There were salt and pepper shakers but we just picked up some packets at Wendy's .

There are 2 pools and 2 large hot tubs. One pool is referred to as a quiet pool and it is a decent size pool. It is on an upper level away from the main pool. It has a about 8 or so large tent cabanna type things with tables and chairs inside each tent. They are really cool. The pool is a bit warmer than the main pool probably due to the smaller size. There are plenty of deck chairs around the pool. It is really a very peaceful setting.

The main pool is HUGE. It has a large zero entry area that goes up to a foot or so in depth before you come to a rope dividing that area from the remainder of the pool. In the middle of
this shallow area are about 2 dozen vertical spray thingies that is on a raised circle area for little ones or anybody else for that matter to jump around in. The remainder of the pool depth varies from 3 foot up to around 5 feet or so. There is a banking of rocks that have waterfalls dropping off into the pool in one area. Really pretty and very refreshing. There is a lane area for lap swimming of about 6 lanes wide. There is a large volleyball area in the pool, also. And with all that I have described, there is still tons of room for just messing around and not getting in anyone else's way. For those used to many of the Disney hotels, there is no slide. My 4 year old water bug didn't seem to mind but he loved the waterfalls splashing down on him. This pool is also heated and we swam everyday but one and felt that the temperature was more than adequate. Not to rub it in but our daytime highs were from 78 to 85 everyday with all but 3 days in the 80's. The evening temps never dropped below 60. We didn't have to take the kids "cold weather clothes" out of the drawers.

Tons of deck chairs and an endless supply of pool towels. There is pingpong table on the pool deck and, believe it or not, a decent billiards table.

As far as a preferred building, I am by no means an expert on this. We loved our building because we overlooked beautiful waterfalls on the manmade lake. The resort is very compact with all of the building arranged in elongated circle around the lakes or the pool area. We had a 2 minute walk to the pool but it was in sight of our unit. I felt like that our unit was about as good as you could get. I would opt for a higher unit just for the view and to eliminate ground noise. We did not request a particular floor or building. We had done an on-site visual of the 1 and 2 bedrooms of this resort back in October when we were staying at OKW on property. They just gave us the numbers of the units of the 2 models so we could take a look. When we saw the property, knowing that due to our stay being in January and therefore not that crowded we just decided to take our chances and it worked out fine for us.

Lorix2,
This resort is on the south end of International Drive. You turn left out of the property. You can go about 1 mile , hang a right onto Vineland, go about a 2 miles, this brings you out to 535 between the Landry's Seafood House and The Bahama Breeze restaurants. Hang a right onto 535, not even a 1/4 mile, turn left onto I-4 West. You don't even have to get out of the on ramp lane, it is about 3/4 mile till you exit bringing you on Disney property under the "Welcome to Disneyworld" sign in the area near to the Downtown Disney, MGM, Epcot resort area ramps. Trust me it is very simple. You can proceed to onward to the MK and AK. There are other ways to go also. I would say from the resort to the parking lots of MGM and Epcot are about 10 to 12 minutes. MK about 13 to 15 minutes. AK about 15 minutes. You go down one more exit on I-4 to get to AK. It was an exit that was built a few years ago specifically for AK, DIsney World of Sports, etc. I may have made this seem more difficult than necessary and my times might just be a bit too long. Trust me you are a very short trip away with very little traffic. We tend to drive to the parks even when we stay on-property and we had annual passes so our parking was complimentary on our trip. The trips to the parks were a breeze. You can also turn left onto International Drive and go down to it T's into 536 and go in that way. That is usually the way that we came back. It is also a breeze. We did not use the bus service but I could attempt to provide details if needed. It is complimentary for cash paying guests. There is a charge for "owners" or timeshare exchanges to use the bus service. It is nothing like Disney's service but what is?

We did hear the folks above us some, nothing major but when a jacuzzi tub is being filled above you with its jets late at night you will hear it no matter where you are staying. The master bedrooms are on the inside of the units away from the entry to the units. If I was afraid that I would have a problem I would request a top floor unit. We found the beds to be wonderfully comfortable. We both remarked that we did not even experience the normal first night hotel room sleeping adjustment.

The waterfalls on the lake were turned off at around 7 or so in the evening and turned back on at about 8 in the morning. We could not hear them when our patio door was closed, The rooms darkened quite well with the available window treatments.

We have 2 little boys-- 4 and 22 months. They had a blast. Our family vacations are such wonderful times. Being with them for 10 days is so wonderful. The older one is a water bug to the max. He loved the sprinklers and waterfall. The younger one roamed all over the shallow area. There is a jungle jim fenced-in area near the pool. It is anchored in sand. It is one of those multi-colored jobbies. We flew down so the we were unable to bring any large pool floats. There were rentals available at the pool and also some for sale. We usually found one floating that someone had rented and left for the day. We used it for a little while and moved on. THe rentals were about $5 a day and our pool stays were usually from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours (the shorter park hours of winter impact our stay times) so we felt that the $5 dollar charge was more than we wanted to pay. The floats were huge and we have fun when we did play on them. We took our 4 year old's life jacket in our luggage and I did not see any for rent similar to what is offered complimentary at the Disney pools. They may be available but I did not see them.

Hope this helps. I will post more on our overall impressions and experiences a little later as time permits. The spouse needs the computer.

Baileybrad, Thanks for answering my questions. I have a few more if you have the time?

What did you think of the decor and layout of the suites?
Did you use the schuttle to the WDW parks?
If you drove to WDW parks, how was the drive? Thanks:D

Rolo,
I am more than happy to answer any questions.

The interior of this resort, is quite frankly, not to be believed. It is absolutely breathtaking. The detail that the have gone into decorating these condos is amazing. The layouts are totally functional and tasteful to the max. The pantry and washer/dryer area is behind a sliding hideaway door off of the kitchen. The jacuzzi tub is just the right size and is very functional, filling very fast. The screened in porch/balcony is great. There are 3 sinks for getting "ready" in the mornings. In addition to the jacuzzi tub, there is a full size tub/shower combo in the second bathroom and an over-sized shower only around the corner from the jacuzzi. There were some great posts about the interior of these units in the past. It is really sad that the search function is still down. The furnishings are very high quality. You won't believe the details that they have gone to in making this place a luxury vacation getaway. The king size bed's head board is absolutely gorgeous. The unit was in excellent condition. This is to be expected because the final units are just a tad over a year old.

We did not use the shuttle. It had 2 morning scheduled pickups. One at 8 and one at 9, I believe. I will have to look through our paperwork if you want more details. It is not a continuously running operation like the Disney system. There were, I think, 2 evening runs back to the resort. I would not be surprised if there shared the bus with some other resorts but don't have any firsthand knowledge of this. I will hopefully find the paperwork describing the schedule. We are still finishing up sorting our trip stuff.

I went into the drive in an answer to Lorix2. Please check for that. If that is not sufficient then I will try to clarify. We really know our way around the Disney area but the drive is a breeze no matter your knowledge of the roadways. It is very convenient, nothing like 192. Hope this helps.

Which floor would you consider to be the best. Do the first floor patios have screens like the upper floor balconies, or are they open (and buggy at night)? We were thinking it might be nice to be at ground level so the kids could walk right out to the lake. But do you think the upper floors are more desirable for the view, privacy, etc?

Also, do you know what time the cafe opens for breakfast if you want to run down and grab some stuff before you head out to the parks?

Thanks a bunch.

I know i posted this on another thread but wouldn't mind getting two separate opinions.

Baileybrad - thank you so much for responding - I really enjoyed reading your post. My kids are 4 & 9 and I know we're all going to be very happy here. I'm happy to hear what a great time your family had on your vacation.

Jasper577 - hello! I was hoping you saw this thread!

Baileybrad---Thanks for your information on VV. We are planning a trip for late October and have been thinking about staying here rather than onsite this trip. You've helped us go for it. The extra space will be great. We also have two children (8 and 5 by trip time). Does the 2nd bedroom have twin beds?

Also, did you book thru Hotel Kingdom? Is there daily housekeeping available? Thanks again for all of your information.

2Minnies - just some FYI until Baileybrad can respond again - if you go thru hotelkingdom.com's website, you can access the detailed description of the villa and of the rooms for the 2 bedroom villas. I booked thru them myself. What sold me was the fact that there are 2 bathrooms and the 2nd bedroom has 2 FULL beds w/tv. Housekeeping is included thru hotelkingdom, I don't know if it is if you book any other way though.

Also Jasper577 started a very large thread about this place asking for info and lots of other people responded to that as well. It's under "Can you convince my wife that Sheraton V.V. is better than ****?"

I'm looking forward to reading more of Baileybrad's replys!:)

baileybrad,

Thanks so much for all the info. on VV. We will be there for 7 nights in June and have been waiting for some first-hand reports. It sounds wonderful.

Baileybrad- Thanks so much!!!! I can't wait to get to VV! We don't vacation much so I want this trip to be great. I'm feeling pretty good about our decision to stay at VV thanks to your report.:D

jasper577,
I really can't say which floor is the best. The great thing about the screened in balconies is that you feel really safe when the little ones are out on the porch/balcony. These areas are of a really good size, so they are really functional. The have ceiling fans on them and a good overhead light. It would be a great place to sit and play cards, etc.

The elevators are very efficient if you are on an upper floor. I do kind of feel that the upper floors offer a nicer view. I am talking about floors 4 and 5. Our view of the lake and waterfalls was awesome. The ground floor units also have the screened in area which I suppose would be called a porch. There is no exit from this area to the outside. You still need to leave your unit through the front door. We saw a few mosquitos bumping up against the screen trying to get in, to no avail. It was very pleasant sitting out there.

The opened at 7:00 am. They have bagels, muffins, cinnamon rolls, bear claws and donuts. Breakfast sandwiches - bagel, egg and ham; bagel egg and cheese; and bagel, egg and bacon. A breakfast plate of scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast and choice of bacon or sausage. The place (Flagler Station) features Starbucks coffee, Cappuccinos, Lattes and Mochas.

There is a Walmart Superstore about 7 to 8 miles away over on John Young Parkway (not the one on 192). We love the bakery products from WS, especially their muffins. We had breakfast in the room most mornings.

We did not have any thing to eat at the Flaglers'. It just didn't seem to fit in our plans. I do recall others posting in the past that their deli items are excellent. They feature Boars Head meats which are quite good.

Hope this helps you out.

2minnies,
We love staying on-site. As we said earlier we are DVC members. Our favorite resort has always been dearly departed Dixie Landings. The mansions are the best and the grounds of the resort are just beautiful. That being said for a trip in late October with the smaller crowds ie. traffic, etc. , I think that you will love staying at VV. We flew and being there 10 nights and having to bring 4 warm weather outfits for the kids and 4 cooler weather outfits made the in unit washer n dryer a godsend. Not complaining, but we never took the cooler clothes out of the bureau. It is funny seeing the kids in the videos wearing the same clothes so many times. But it is an "issue" that I can deal with if it means no cold weather.

We were at OKW this past October 20 - 29, staying in a studio. We loved it and will do it again to save points. We still drive most of the time to the parks and have stayed off-site at another condo place (Hampton Oaks Plantation now Sheraton OP) a couple times. It is different than being on property but we are not so Disneyfied that we feel that we are somehow missing out. More power to those that believe on-site is the only way to go. But I doubt very many would be disappointed at VV. Especially when one trys to compare a room to these 2 bedroom units. No comparison, and I don't care how much one loves Disney resorts. We still visit the Disney resorts on this trip. We just showed ID and went right on in. We had dinner at Chef Mickey's. Took the kids to see the Toy Story guys at AS Movies. Had a meal at the Poly. Did some shopping at the GF. BUT when we returned to VV we did not feel slighted in the least. We had a great family vacation.

We booked thru HK. I did it over the phone via the 1-800 number. Their service is great and their reservationists are very friendly. Our rate was scary good --- $79.90 for a 2 bedroom. This was made during a special offer about 6 weeks after the incident. The reservationist said that this was the lowest rate that she could remember VV offering. The rate was actually $69 with $10.90 per night going to HK. The 1 bedroom was actually $10 dollars more at the time ---$89.90.

The other bedroom has 2 full size beds. Our 4 year old uses a bedrail at home. But we just tucked the sheet good and he had no problems. We used a baby bed for the 22 month old and it was a fairly decent one. Not a packnplay. There is suppose to be an additional charge of $10 for the baby bed for your entire stay. They did not charge us.

As Lorix2 mentioned the as a cash paying guest housekeeping is included. We found the housekeeping to be very, very good. They were there and gone by the time we would return from the parks around 1 or so in the afternoon. We had no problems with our kids naps being interrupted or delayed. We have experienced this at Disney hotels on occasion even after requesting earlier service. We left a $2 dollar tip each day on the counter. The funny thing was it appeared that we did not have the same person each day because each had their own particular style when servicing the room. Again the service was excellen. We had more towels and soap that we knew what to do with.

I would never try and tell someone who had their heart set on staying on-property not to do so. But 2minnies you will not regret staying at VV in the least.

Thanks baileybrad. It's people like you that have made Disney Guide books almost throwaways compared to the nitty gritty up-to-the-minute information you can get on these boards. Sounds like an upper floor will be our preferred room choice if available and I'll be running down to the cafe at 7:00 am to grab some goodies for the wife and kids while they get ready for the day. Of course I promised I would cook breakfasts too so the Super Walmart will come in handy. Hope it's not hard to find. Sounds like Bldg #6 is a good choice. Any others you would recommend and for what reason? Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter