Just Returned from 4th Solo Trip

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
I went down from 11/28-12/8 and had a great time. The weather was perfect (mid-high 70's most days and some into the 80's) for all but the last 2 days I was there (high of about 60). I took a ton of pictures and the link is below if you want to have a look. I stayed at the Caribbean Beach my first 2 nights, then transferred to the Wilderness Lodge for the rest of my stay. I did not like CBR at all. I found it way too spread out and the fact that I had to walk across a semi-lit parking lot to get to my building made me a little nervous at night. The room was ok, but I found check-in to be extremely slow. After waiting 25 minutes to check-in, I was told that I would have to go and stand in another line to retrieve my Candlelight Processional package information. Since the designated "holiday" station, as well as the other dining stations were being used by people to check-in, it took another 15 minutes to get my information. I loved the Lodge and everything about it. Not because it is a deluxe resort, but more of the atmosphere, the cast members and my overall experience there. I had room 5032, which is a "woods" view, and the view was amazing!!! I had a view of the castle, parts of the lake and the upper floors of the Contemporary. You've got a great view of the Wishes fireworks right from the balcony. The pool was heated, although I found the villa pool warmer than the main one.

Did the 5pm Candlelight Processional on my first night and the guest speaker was Andy Garcia. Although the show was great, it did rain for about 10 minutes 3/4 of the way through the show. My recommendation for this show is to view either the 6 or 8pm shows, since it is darker by then and you really get the feeling of the lights, candles, etc. Also, although you will be closer to the stage & orchestra, try to get a seat under the overhang of the building. The CM told be the best seats were out in the open and I found myself pretty far away and wet.

Viewed MVMCP fireworks from the Polynesian beach, the patio of the Contemporary (they do not pump the Wishes music out on the patio) and from the balcony of my room. I actually could hear the music better from my balcony, then from the Polynesian's beach.

The last weekend I was there, they taped the Christmas Day parade, but it was done much differently than last year. The taping started at 7:30am on Saturday and did not finish until 2pm and they only taped a 1/4 of the show. Had I know most of the parade and such would be aired from the Sunday filming, I would have skipped Saturday. Oh well.

Dined at the Rose & Crown twice, the California Grill, the Sci-Fi Theater, 50's Primetime, Plaza Restaurant, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Crystal Palace twice, Cindy's, 1900 Park Fare, Spoodles, Fresh, Le Cellier & Ghiradelli's. I posted the reviews on the dining page.

Had a blast on my 4th solo trip and am planning the next one already. Enjoy the pictures and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you for sharing your trip report and your pictures are wonderful..I took my first solo trip this past fall and I too stayed at the WL. I had a great time.:wave2:

I was also there for a solo trip 12/6 and 12/7. I heard (was it from Dan Murphy?) that the main reason for the change in filming was because of the snow storm in the Northeast. Regis and Kelly apparently got stuck in the weather and didn't arrive until Sunday.
When you saw the CP, where did you eat? Any especially good/bad solo dining experiences?
I really do appreciate your comments on CBR. That dimly lit parking lot is one thing we solos notice. One year at POR, I had big "hideable" bushes right outside my assigned first floor room so I asked to be moved.

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures. I had a blast taking them! Filled 4 128mb sticks and still did not have enough room (383 pictures later). I took pics of the 75 Mickey's, but am working on downloading them this week.

Regis was there on Saturday, but Kelly got stuck in NYC due to the storm. They taped stuff with just Regis on Saturday, then retaped again on Sunday with both of them. I think I'll pass on doing it on my next trip. It's a long process and alot of standing around and waiting. I ended up losing more than 1/2 a day on Saturday.

The Candlelight Processional is beautiful and a must-do!!! I did the 5pm show, then headed over to the Rose & Crown for a 7:10pm priority seating. There was no flexibility on the time. I had a patio table and since I was wet from the rain, it got chilly. I took my time eating, but was still done by 8pm. I was tired & cold, so I headed back to my room and skipped Illuminations that night.

Regarding Caribbean Beach, where I've never been there before, I was just pretty surprised about where the bus stops were located. To cross a dimly lit parking lot at night alone, just made me nervous. It's a pretty resort, but I think that I am just so used to Port Orleans French Quarter and the size of it, and just found CBR too spread out for my taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter