Just returned from dream trip...anybody else miss that old Disney world?

gracie89

Mouseketeer
Hey there everybody,

This is by no means a rant but we are just back from a magical 3 week trip with a cheeky 7nt sailing on the fantasy and I got to thinking how much WDW has changed from when I was a kid.
I feel like people have no time for anything (guests mainly) and as a result I witnessed way more stressful memories than magical moments being created.
I am not that old yet I remember a WDW where all guests acted as though they were the luckiest people alive to be there, but I didn't see much of that this time. Sadly people just seemed to be in a rush and pretty grumpy.
I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed these changes, and how everyone else feels about it...

Ever curious

Grace

Last edited:
I miss being able to walk up to restaurants to eat and not have to book restaurants 180 days in advance. I also miss the food quality. The dining plan ruined disney dining, IMO.

Other than that, for me, I don't find it stressful. But a lot of that is due to the fact that we go to WDW almost every year and we know we will go back. So if a line is too long and we have to skip something, it's not a huge deal because we've already done it and we know we'll be back to try it next time. For newbies, or "once in a lifetime" trips, I can see how all of the planning can be stressful and overwhelming, as well as trying to rush from here to there to try to "do it all."

As a kid we would go to MK twice a year. One day over Christmas week and one day over the March break and we always arrived at noon. :crazy2:

The old Disney to me, was nothing but crowds. :eek: I like the new Disney. :thumbsup2

There have been a LOT Of changes over the years. I can't say that I don't miss some things. For instance, I really MISS the old guest service. CMs would go way above and beyond. I miss being able to get into most restaurants the day of (with the exception of CRT). I miss being able to comfortably walk through Fantasyland at MK. I miss the parade at AK and Tapestry of Nations at Epcot. I'm sure there are more.

However, there are a lot of changes that have occurred for the better. I may be one of the few, but I LOVE FP+. I also love the new parade FoF at the MK, Enchanted Tales with Belle and 7DMT.

I think may of the changes at WDW have to do with the crowds WDW is currently getting. It is the place to be these days. That makes it harder to go above and beyond with guest service. It also makes it incredibly crowded and lines much longer. Disney is doing what it can. However, I think what really needs to happen is a 5th Gate.

We just got back yesterday and I've never been when it was this crowded. It does add extra stress. And our resort was 100% booked and we had a problem with our room smelling like cigarettes really bad and that just brings you down....I think everyone's expectations are so high since we do all this planning for a year then you get there and something goes wrong it brings you down. We did get our room fixed the next day. The crowds were very heavy (we usually go in May and I don't remember them being like this) and a lot of rides randomly broke down: Haunted Mansion, POTC, Winnie the Pooh, 7DMT. I did notice the TS restaurants not being that crowded but the MDE saying they were full. But then you get home you still want to go back and have an even better trip so there goes the expectations again. They need to have more buses for Magic Kingdom on party nights.

Disney has become a victim of their own success. I mean you want to draw as many people as you can but then you get overcrowded and thus the complaining starts. Its a lot like the airline business. Years ago flying use to be special and fun. People would dress up to fly and their were never any crowds. Airlines lowered pricing made it more affordable so everyone could fly and now everyone does. So much so that it has become nothing more than a flying Greyhound bus. Its just not worth it to me to fly anywhere if I can drive in 8 hours or less.

I agree. While I love the additions to fantasy land and hopefully the new additions to HS once that is built, I Feel like customer service has gone WAY downhill. The bathrooms at the parks were DISGUSTING- something I never thought I would say about Disney and the cast members were mostly rude and all acted like they hated their job. The CM's at the resort were wonderful though. We have gone every year the last week in Oct for the past 4 years and I've never seen it this crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter