Just returned from SSR...

After listening to Boom, boom, of car radios past my house every night all night long your, itty bitty town, sounds wonderful, or that would be sounds wonderfully quiet. :thumbsup2

We love the views from SSR too and actually find it to be the most peaceful and quiet resort at Disney, along with OKW.

The only booms we get around here are from the AF base. Two Sonic Booms a day, every day.:scared1: :rolleyes1 :scared1: Shakes the critters right out of the trees.

I like SSR where we hear nothing in those wonderful quiet rooms (when the door is shut!);)

~DW:3dglasses

We love SSR, too. We've only stayed there once, for 2 nights, and we were in Carousel. Someone else posted not too long ago how they hated it and were in Carousel and it was too far out and problems with the buses. Our building was right across from the bus stop and we thought the buses were fast. The walk from the main building to there was not bad either.

We did not like the counter service - Artist Pallette, though. We did not try Turf Club.

We stayed at OKW March 27-April 2 and didn't care for it. I said I would only book there if it was all that was available. DH said if OKW was all that was available, he would forego the trip or pay to stay elsewhere.

So happy you had a great trip...
Thanks for posting....I'm going to SSR on may 22:cool1:
My 1st DVC stay....going all out...in the 1BR:banana:

We will be there on memorial day weekend without doing
the parks....Sooo excited about the pool games and DJ....

Were they showing any movies by the pool also..
Kerri

Glad you had a great trip!! I agree the DTD view is wonderful, and I really enjoyed that quiet pool too. I am going back for a super quick 2 night trip to SSR in October (just to run race for the taste). And I am very excited to go back to SSR :)

We were supposed to come back to Buffalo on Saturday, May12th:sad2: . Airtran changed our time (only 30 minutes later) and gave us an option to accept or not:idea: Well, I called them and they let me come back on Sunday instead, no extra cost to change the date!:yay: ONE MORE DAY AT THE MOUSE HOUSE! :banana: I hope I can find a place to stay. :rolleyes1 We have already booked all our points!

We are flying ROC to MCO on Air Trans and I would LOVE if they did this to us!! I have been kicking myself for not waiting until the cheaper SWA flights came up out of BUF but I panicked a while back and bought these....so if they gave in one more night in the house I would consider it a good trade LOL!!

Can't wait for my first trip home - just me and DS this time in a studio at SSR! Hopeing for the Springs, but we'll just be happy to be at Mickey Mouse's House period. :cool1:

alldiz- Yes, they were definately showing movies by the pool! We didn't get to see them, we were out pretty late at night with the late park times, but they definately had them! The pool games with the DJ were great! They had several different games. The scavenger hunt was a lot of fun!! (an example of the scavenger hunt: each person was assigned a team number. Then they called out items to see if people had them. Like a picture of a real dog, a texas liscence, sunblock over 40 etc. ) It was a riot! The person/team with the most items found won a prize! The prizes for both bingo and the scavenger hunt were excellent. They were real games like Scrabble, Life, Mr. Potato Head etc. and even Disney Pins! It was fun for everyone. DD had a great time! The music by the pool is great too!! I love to lay out or "frolic" in the pool to music!! I loved SSR!!:love:

Laura

So glad you enjoyed it! I've stayed there twice now and I found it wonderfully relaxing. I really didn't think it was all that far to anywhere, but then I like walking. I went out one morning early to get breakfast and it was SO quiet that I couldn't believe I was at WDW! I had a lovely walk over the bridge, said Good Morning to the swans and ducks and watched hot air balloons in flight. I will remember that morning for a long time.

We're doing a VB/SSR trip from 5/13-5/19 and I can't wait!!!

alldiz- Yes, they were definately showing movies by the pool! We didn't get to see them, we were out pretty late at night with the late park times, but they definately had them! The pool games with the DJ were great! They had several different games. The scavenger hunt was a lot of fun!! (an example of the scavenger hunt: each person was assigned a team number. Then they called out items to see if people had them. Like a picture of a real dog, a texas liscence, sunblock over 40 etc. ) It was a riot! The person/team with the most items found won a prize! The prizes for both bingo and the scavenger hunt were excellent. They were real games like Scrabble, Life, Mr. Potato Head etc. and even Disney Pins! It was fun for everyone. DD had a great time! The music by the pool is great too!! I love to lay out or "frolic" in the pool to music!! I loved SSR!!:love:

Laura

Laura, that is sooo great!!! Sometimes here, we focus on the negative, but that SSR recreation staff works really hard everyday to make sure everyone is having a great vacation, especially the children.
Im ashamed to say, that as much as I tell them and everyone here how great they are (Tori, Brenda, Kristin, Neil and their Manager Mike to name a few:woohoo:) I need to write a letter to commend them.
Your post really reminded me how active, and great the SSR rec staff is. Their schedule is jam-packed everyday and they tirelessly roll those activities and movie screens and other equipment back and forth. They shop for all the great prizes at the Cast store etc. NYE they made 300 bags of popcorn to pass out at the pool party. They brought all their equipment to CP and set up and broke down after. They really make SSR special and having been on DCL, they remind me very much of the hard working crew members on the ship rather than at a laid back resort. We always allow plenty of time in our schedule to enjoy all the activities and I can't wait until June!! Ill be frolicking too!
Im off to write that letter!:thumbsup2

Can someone tell me more about the movies by the pool??

Also, we have always stayed in Congress Park and this time we requested the new area the Grandstand any thoughts on which is a "better" location? Thanks,

Can someone tell me more about the movies by the pool??

Also, we have always stayed in Congress Park and this time we requested the new area the Grandstand any thoughts on which is a "better" location? Thanks,

Hi Kritter,

I was at SSR on a girls trip March 18-22 and they now have this huge blow up big screen that they set up by the pool (next to the slide stairs) and they play Disney movies. They had a different movie each night and they started at 8pm. The schedule is listed on the Community Hall schedule that is posted weekly.

We always stay in CP too, and for the girls trip, we stayed in the Springs. I did check out the Grandstand section and it is very nice. The pool is nice, they have lots of umbrella tables and chairs, pool bar, BBQ pavilion, and the rec staff is supposed to offer some activity over there each morning for the kids. GS is very close to the Carriage House main pool and restaurants if you are in the closest bldgs, as well as the Boat Dock and Westside/OKW walkway. We definitely want to try GS, but I dont think anything will beat the DTD view!:love: My boys love Disney Quest and the Grandstand is closest to that side of DTD so that may win them over:scared1:

If I had to rank the sections in order of preference for my family,

Congress Park Love the view, quiet pool and BBQ pavilion. Lake views Close walk to Marketplace and DTD busses

Grandstand Love the pool and colors, golf course views, close to boat dock, dining, main areas, spa, DTD Westside

Springs We like the footbridge, close to main areas, no quiet pool

Paddock close to Congress Park, has a smaller quiet pool, nice fountain views

Carousel quiet, furthest out but we walked to it and around it not too bad, no quiet pool.

HTH!

Hi Kritter,

I was at SSR on a girls trip March 18-22 and they now have this huge blow up big screen that they set up by the pool (next to the slide stairs) and they play Disney movies. They had a different movie each night and they started at 8pm. The schedule is listed on the Community Hall schedule that is posted weekly.

We always stay in CP too, and for the girls trip, we stayed in the Springs. I did check out the Grandstand section and it is very nice. The pool is nice, they have lots of umbrella tables and chairs, pool bar, BBQ pavilion, and the rec staff is supposed to offer some activity over there each morning for the kids. GS is very close to the Carriage House main pool and restaurants if you are in the closest bldgs, as well as the Boat Dock and Westside/OKW walkway. We definitely want to try GS, but I dont think anything will beat the DTD view!:love: My boys love Disney Quest and the Grandstand is closest to that side of DTD so that may win them over:scared1:

If I had to rank the sections in order of preference for my family,

Congress Park Love the view, quiet pool and BBQ pavilion. Lake views Close walk to Marketplace and DTD busses

Grandstand Love the pool and colors, golf course views, close to boat dock, dining, main areas, spa, DTD Westside

Springs We like the footbridge, close to main areas, no quiet pool

Paddock close to Congress Park, has a smaller quiet pool, nice fountain views

Carousel quiet, furthest out but we walked to it and around it not too bad, no quiet pool.

HTH!

Thanks for the information. THe kids are going to flip over the movies on the big screen where they every night.???

Last time before our DCL we were in the Paddock and I have to say I liked the Congress Park better. The kids like the playground near CP a ton...

Thank you for your review. We are travelling to SSR next week. I was wondering is the new pool open now, and are their slides or any kiddie splash areas? Thanks again.

jord123 - Yes, the new Grandstand Pool is open! The pool itself has no slide, it is oval shaped (like a racetrack!). The Grandstand Pool section also has a water jet spraying horse section that the kids play in and around. (FYI - I forgot to mention that DD was spraying the horse heads and a lady was sitting in her chair and told my daughter "can you please not do that, you're getting me wet!!!!" DD was not by any means pointing the jets at the lady, she was just getting "misted" by DD's spray. :sad2: Hellooo, don't sit there if you don't want to get wet by the water jets, that's what they're there for!!!! My DD is 8, so she said "I'm sorry" to the lady and I told her it was ok, that she could still spray, but after that she was too embarrassed!! We just left the area and let the woman stay dry, didn't want to cause a stir on our first day of vacation!!!)
The main Springs Pool has the waterslide (its a very good slide), as well as a Donald Duck water fountain splash area and a small waterfall the kids can play in. It is a very nice main pool, we loved it. You will love it there!!:yay:

Glad to hear you had a great time at SSR. It was fun reading your very enthusiastic report. We have enjoyed our stays there very much also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter