Just returned from the Wilderness Lodge..Really nice but not Deluxe!

Fwiw Dh and I stayed there for the first time in Sept. We really liked it and had a delicious meal at Artist Point. :)

I usually carry dirty laundry in a trash bag. I would not want to put my clean clothes in that same bag. However, I usually take a new clean bag for the clean clothes. I can see where someone might overlook taking the clean bag with them - I don't like to leave my laundry unattended when using a hotel laundry room, so I wouldn't want to go back to the room for the clean bag.

This is a silly post on my part... but I feel your pain. I was just at CR, and had no new bag to take my laundry back to my room. Not the best scenario, but I turned my garbage bag inside out. I agree with needing a fresh bag, but I had to improvise.

:cool1:We are staying there for the first time Feb11-18. Hopefully we can avoid any unpleasant surprises. Have always staeyed Mod before so we will be comparing.

Hope you enjoy it :thumbsup2 We've had 2 stays at WL, and both were great. Looking forward to our return Tues :yay: Always had great service at WL.

I love Disney resorts, but I don't find any of them "deluxe" compared to deluxe hotels in the real world. WL and AKL are considered deluxe for their theming and location, rather than amenities and room size, which is why they cost less than other Disney Deluxe resorts.

The situation with the laundry bag was bad and the receptionist could definitely have been more helpful. But the late checkout situation is pretty much the same in any hotel in the whole world, not just Disney, but at least they allow you to store your bags at the resort until you are ready to leave.

It makes sense not to allow late checkouts or the rooms would not be ready for people checking in. Some places will let you check out late, but often they charge a fee for doing so.

I love Disney resorts, but I don't find any of them "deluxe" compared to deluxe hotels in the real world. WL and AKL are considered deluxe for their theming and location, rather than amenities and room size, which is why they cost less than other Disney Deluxe resorts.

The situation with the laundry bag was bad and the receptionist could definitely have been more helpful. But the late checkout situation is pretty much the same in any hotel in the whole world, not just Disney, but at least they allow you to store your bags at the resort until you are ready to leave.

It makes sense not to allow late checkouts or the rooms would not be ready for people checking in. Some places will let you check out late, but often they charge a fee for doing so.

What amenities do other Disney deluxe resorts have that WL and AKL do not? (Other than perhaps fewer transportation options) :confused3

I think they are cheaper because their location isn't as ideal (and yes maybe the room size)

in 2006 although I would strongly recommend against floor #6. Upon arriving in our first room, we had a lovely view of the dumpster and yes, we did book standard view. Went back to the lobby and requested a different room. They gave us a room on the 6th floor facing MK. Unfortunately, the balconies on that floor are enclosed so instead of looking at the dumpster from our balcony, I now felt like I was in one!!! We did have amazing view of the MK fireworks though so it was all good.

I do remember one of the managers commenting that we were at one of the "cheap" deluxes. Certainly not the way I would refer to a property I was managing.

Customer service at Disney has always been a crap shoot for me. On average, I haven't found the customer service at Disney resorts to be that much better than what you might expect at a Holiday Inn. And I haven't noticed much difference in customer service between resort levels (at least for non-CL stays).

What I've concluded is that when you book non-CL at a a deluxe resort, you're mostly paying for location and theming and not so much for customer service. I value location and theming a lot, so I'm willing to pay extra for those attributes but not to the insane level of deluxe resort rack rates (and this includes WL). At those rates, the service and room quality better knock my socks off. They don't (although I've never been unhappy with deluxe resort room quality). Accordingly, I only stay deluxe during non-peak seasons and with a substantial discount (at least 30%).

What amenities do other Disney deluxe resorts have that WL and AKL do not? (Other than perhaps fewer transportation options) :confused3

I think they are cheaper because their location isn't as ideal (and yes maybe the room size)

I heard that when they were building Wilderness Lodge, they didn't intend for it to be a deluxe resort - hence the smaller room sizes and lower prices. TBH - I prefer staying in Wilderness Lodge to the other deluxe resort because of the theming, low prices and '*** the kids love it.

Re: different amenities, it varies from resort to resort. Most of the other deluxe resorts have more dining and shopping options, room service has always been more limited at the lodge but I think it has improved a little over the years. Some of the other deluxes offer spa treatments.

One huge difference I noticed in standards of amenities was when I stayed at the Beach Club, straight after Wilderness Lodge. In addition to the fuller room service I was able to use a phone near the pool to order food and drinks to be brought outside.

As I said, it varies from resort to resort and I'm not knocking Wilderness Lodge in any way - I love the place, and I'm staying there next year. But the other deluxe resorts I have stayed in and visited definitely felt more deluxe.

So funny, I was just browsing and came across this familiar sounding review when I looked up and noticed it was mine from a few years ago :). Well, just as an update, my family stayed at the Beach Club this past May and we were really disappointed and found ourselves missing WL. Check in was a nightmare and our room was so filthy that my husband was ready to pack his bag and was begging the manager to send him to WL. We wound up switching rooms and staying. We had a great vacation but have decided to book WL for our next year's trip in May. I'm looking forward to the seeing the updated rooms and hoping for a much better experience this time.

Lol - I just looked at the dates and realized how old your review is. :) I felt the same way as you after staying at the Beach Club. I found a lot to like about it, but I don't think anything beats the theming and atmosphere of WL. I can't wait to go back next year.

So funny, I was just browsing and came across this familiar sounding review when I looked up and noticed it was mine from a few years ago :). Well, just as an update, my family stayed at the Beach Club this past May and we were really disappointed and found ourselves missing WL. Check in was a nightmare and our room was so filthy that my husband was ready to pack his bag and was begging the manager to send him to WL. We wound up switching rooms and staying. We had a great vacation but have decided to book WL for our next year's trip in May. I'm looking forward to the seeing the updated rooms and hoping for a much better experience this time.

A tip on the late checkout- While at Disney I have always been granted late checkout when I ask for it when checking in. I can see where waiting to checkout day would be a no go. They only allow so many rooms to do it each day. When you ask when you arrive, you are usually the first person so they will put it in their computer. :thumbsup2

A tip on the late checkout- While at Disney I have always been granted late checkout when I ask for it when checking in. I can see where waiting to checkout day would be a no go. They only allow so many rooms to do it each day. When you ask when you arrive, you are usually the first person so they will put it in their computer. :thumbsup2

Oh I agree, however we weren't planning on a late checkout. The only reason why I requested it was because that morning my husband was feeling sick due to his diabetes. He woke up dizzy and needed to get something to eat because of his blood sugar levels. I explained this to the manager at the front desk and told him that I understood their policies but due to the circumstances could he do something for us.

Oh I agree, however we weren't planning on a late checkout. The only reason why I requested it was because that morning my husband was feeling sick due to his diabetes. He woke up dizzy and needed to get something to eat because of his blood sugar levels. I explained this to the manager at the front desk and told him that I understood their policies but due to the circumstances could he do something for us.

Well, part of my tip is to go ahead and ask on the day your arrive as you never know whether you will need it or not. The only way I don't ask for it is if I am catching an early flight.

If you call the front desk on the phone, you are not talking to anyone who is at the hotel. You've been connected to a call center. The person you are talking to is not anywhere near your resort. That's why they wanted to transfer you to housekeeping.

If Blizzard Beach is a scheduled stop, then they will stop there. It may seem like wasted time but they have to be certain that no one wants to board there if the park is open. Yes they still do that (this thread is old)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter