Just Returned...My Transportation Observations...

I was offended this large party boarded the bus in the middle and sat at the front and we had to negotiate scooters and the front of the bus full with a stroller, toddler and child to the back of the bus when we were first in the queue.
I’m sorry you were offended that your young, healthy party needed to wait a few extra minutes and navigate to the back of the bus.
I can’t even express in words how I wish I could walk, not need that scooter and navigate to the back of the bus

I’m sorry you were offended that your young, healthy party needed to wait a few extra minutes and navigate to the back of the bus.
I can’t even express in words how I wish I could walk, not need that scooter and navigate to the back of the bus
It you had read the thread you will see my problem is my disabled grandson- not on a scooter - and lack of manners from fully fit people accompanying scooters. I myself although a pensioner am perfectly prepared to stand.

It you had read the thread you will see my problem is my disabled grandson- not on a scooter - and lack of manners from fully fit people accompanying scooters. I myself although a pensioner am perfectly prepared to stand.

I'm thinking maybe those fully fit people who wish to stay with their scooter using family members and enjoy their vacation time together are not the ones lacking manners. I'm not sure why it is assumed that they should be happy to spend a good chunk of vacation time separated from their family. In order to make other guest's vacations run more smoothly.

I just reread the entire thread. I never saw where You said your DGS was disabled. My 2 “fully fit” family members assist me and enable me to function.
I wish, although of the appropriate age, that I too was a pensioner.

We weren't happy on one of our MK days (bus from POFQ) there were 3 scooters arrived at the stop after we (and a number of others) were waiting fair enough the driver began loading them - a driver from the following bus to AKL came to help and asked the third person to wait until the next bus - but all the first scooter rider family boarded through the ramp (at least 6) and we were still waiting at a closed door at the front - when the second scooter riders family were following up the ramp my DH was getting cross - I was stood all this time with a toddler in my arms him with the folded stroller and watching DGS so when the door opened we had to negotiate to the rear of the bus through this crowd. If family board I believe they should sit st the rear and large parties are meant to take their place in the queue?
I am a scooter driver. I am partialized in one leg. I cannot walk more than 2-3 stumbling steps without assistance. My dh has to help me to a seat. I cannot go to the back of the bus as there are steps to get there. My DH will sit near me to help me but he will be the first person to give up his seat to help someone else.

We rarely have others with us but when we do they will sit near me. For decades I used to say I will walk because I can. That was my motto - so now I think I deserve
a little compassion even if you do not.

I am a scooter driver. I am partialized in one leg. I cannot walk more than 2-3 stumbling steps without assistance. My dh has to help me to a seat. I cannot go to the back of the bus as there are steps to get there. My DH will sit near me to help me but he will be the first person to give up his seat to help someone else.

We rarely have others with us but when we do they will sit near me. For decades I used to say I will walk because I can. That was my motto - so now I think I deserve
a little compassion even if you do not.
I see why I'm being harassed as no compassion. I have jumped threads and not put on here the struggle we had with no seats for my disabled grandson. What I'm asking for is compassion for those NOT on scooters who are disabled who are struggling to get seated when large parties accompany more than one scooter. Please stop treating me like I'm anti disabled people I can assure you I'm not.

Last edited:
I just reread the entire thread. I never saw where You said your DGS was disabled. My 2 “fully fit” family members assist me and enable me to function.
I wish, although of the appropriate age, that I too was a pensioner.
My apologies I've jumped threads and not mentioned on here about our problems seating DGS. I don't know what Disney can do about it but he's disabled and has real problems if not seated on the bus.

My apologies I've jumped threads and not mentioned on here about our problems seating DGS. I don't know what Disney can do about it but he's disabled and has real problems if not seated on the bus.

So why not avoid the buses? Rent a car or use taxis where you can be sure of a seat.

So why not avoid the buses? Rent a car or use taxis where you can be sure of a seat.
You know, this brings to mind a situation I found myself in at the beginning of this school year...

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:
My youngest is in 6th grade and my oldest is a freshman at the high school across the street. It is a busy, 4-lane road in a 45-mph zone (25-mph during school hours) with only a cross-walk between the two schools. There is no crossing guard and only about 6 kids actually have to cross the street to get to school. The high school does not have busing (private school), but if they live in a certain public school district (which WE do) AND they have a younger sibling attending the middle school across the street, they can ride the bus from that district to the middle school and walk across the street. The middle school (also a private school) contracts with the public school district for busing so that is why we are allowed to utilize it for our kids. Anyways, the first day of school, we went with the girls and almost watched our oldest get herself killed! Traffic was terrible! NOBODY drives 25 mph...nobody drives 45 mph! Cars were flying by her while she was trying to get across that street IN THE MARKED CROSSWALK, where cars MUST YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS, but nobody even slowed down. My husband, who by the way has been a police officer for almost 30 years, was LIVID:scared1:. We made sure she made it safely and then we decided that maybe it was simply due to the first day of school. We decided that we'd follow the bus for the first week and monitor the situation before and after school. Fortunately, our schedules allow for this. Well, there was no improvement so I finally called the local sheriff department and spoke to the traffic enforcement sergeant. He was initially quite put-off by my concern. I simply told him that the speed limit needed to be enforced and that we'd appreciate a little more visibility in patrols in the area, especially before and after school. When I went on to explain the situation, he realized why my daughter needed to cross the street, and he even said that if it were his child, there is no way he'd ever have them cross there because it is so dangerous (uh...duh...that's why I'm calling you!). He made a call to the Road Commission to see if they would put up some additional signage, which never happened. I also called the schools, but they said that it's been an ongoing issue and there is nothing they can do about it because there are only about 5 or 6 kids that have to cross the street and they don't feel it's worth the time and effort of staffing a crossing guard for so few children.

Anyways...the point I am trying to get at is this...I called the Sheriff Department...I called the school...the Road Commission was contacted...but the bottom line is this: If I want my child to get to school safely, the responsibility does not rest on any of them...It is MY responsibility and MINE ALONE. So every morning, we take the kids to school. Every afternoon, one of us picks them up, and if we are both working, grandma or grandpa picks them up. (Let me tell you, when a 14 year old high school girl WANTS her grandma or grandpa to come pick her up from school, you KNOW that road is dangerous:eek:) Is it an inconvenience for us? Yes! The bus would pick them up at our driveway, but now, we have to drive them to school instead. In the afternoon, the bus would drop them off at the end of our driveway. Now, someone has to go get them...and once a week, that "someone" is grandma or grandpa and hopefully, they are available. The trade-off is that we know that our oldest does not have to play Crossy Road every day on her way to and from school.

You know, this brings to mind a situation I found myself in at the beginning of this school year...

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:
My youngest is in 6th grade and my oldest is a freshman at the high school across the street. It is a busy, 4-lane road in a 45-mph zone (25-mph during school hours) with only a cross-walk between the two schools. There is no crossing guard and only about 6 kids actually have to cross the street to get to school. The high school does not have busing (private school), but if they live in a certain public school district (which WE do) AND they have a younger sibling attending the middle school across the street, they can ride the bus from that district to the middle school and walk across the street. The middle school (also a private school) contracts with the public school district for busing so that is why we are allowed to utilize it for our kids. Anyways, the first day of school, we went with the girls and almost watched our oldest get herself killed! Traffic was terrible! NOBODY drives 25 mph...nobody drives 45 mph! Cars were flying by her while she was trying to get across that street IN THE MARKED CROSSWALK, where cars MUST YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS, but nobody even slowed down. My husband, who by the way has been a police officer for almost 30 years, was LIVID:scared1:. We made sure she made it safely and then we decided that maybe it was simply due to the first day of school. We decided that we'd follow the bus for the first week and monitor the situation before and after school. Fortunately, our schedules allow for this. Well, there was no improvement so I finally called the local sheriff department and spoke to the traffic enforcement sergeant. He was initially quite put-off by my concern. I simply told him that the speed limit needed to be enforced and that we'd appreciate a little more visibility in patrols in the area, especially before and after school. When I went on to explain the situation, he realized why my daughter needed to cross the street, and he even said that if it were his child, there is no way he'd ever have them cross there because it is so dangerous (uh...duh...that's why I'm calling you!). He made a call to the Road Commission to see if they would put up some additional signage, which never happened. I also called the schools, but they said that it's been an ongoing issue and there is nothing they can do about it because there are only about 5 or 6 kids that have to cross the street and they don't feel it's worth the time and effort of staffing a crossing guard for so few children.

Anyways...the point I am trying to get at is this...I called the Sheriff Department...I called the school...the Road Commission was contacted...but the bottom line is this: If I want my child to get to school safely, the responsibility does not rest on any of them...It is MY responsibility and MINE ALONE. So every morning, we take the kids to school. Every afternoon, one of us picks them up, and if we are both working, grandma or grandpa picks them up. (Let me tell you, when a 14 year old high school girl WANTS her grandma or grandpa to come pick her up from school, you KNOW that road is dangerous:eek:) Is it an inconvenience for us? Yes! The bus would pick them up at our driveway, but now, we have to drive them to school instead. In the afternoon, the bus would drop them off at the end of our driveway. Now, someone has to go get them...and once a week, that "someone" is grandma or grandpa and hopefully, they are available. The trade-off is that we know that our oldest does not have to play Crossy Road every day on her way to and from school.
In the UK there is no bus transportation before high school and then only if you live over a certain distance. Consequently most parents drive to school. The issues around parking on restricted safe areas is huge with some people thinking they they are above the law! Also ignoring the restricted speeds in school areas. I'm glad you've found a safe alternative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter