Just saw this on another cruise review board...

hydster

<font color=teal>Self Proclaimed <font color=green
Anyone know about it??

early morning fire on magic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are aboard the Veendam. Our Captain reported to the ship that the Disney Magic suffered a fire on board early this morning. Golden Princess and Veendam stayed with Magic till about 6:30AM- when they were released by Magic. Our Captain reported all guests were at lifeboat stations, no engine room damage but extensive damage to the stack. For those anticipating an upcoming voyage would check. Only passing on what we were told.

Just wondering if anyone was on there or had heard anything!
Heidi

I hope this is not true! Oh wow....I'm so excited about going in APril that I'll DIE if they cancel our trip!!

Wow, I certainly hope that is not true. How scary to be told to go to the lifeboat stations.

MJ

Hope everything is going okay with them now! They would have been having a day at sea this morning......

Hoping for some updates.
:(

Called our TA as soon as I read this. They called DCL and called my right back. Cruise is still a go. Fire was in the aft funnel (the real smoke stack). It was small. DCL reps told our TA that the only way we know about this is the cruise boards and somebody from one of the other ships. So we are still going!!!Kathy

I also just talked to DCL and as everyone has said, this has caused no change to the itinerary and it will not affect the next sailing on Saturday at all.

Everyone was released back to their rooms within one hour.

They are assessing any damage now but they stress that this will not affect this sailing or any future sailings.

And that's it! :)

I cant imagine having a cruise cancelled last minute for something like that!! Thanks to all of you for checking it out! I didnt have time to check it out YET so you all did it for me but I thought it was maybe worth pointing out!
Thanks for not "jumping me" for posting it! Another board has and it was yucky!
Thanks again to all of you!
Heidi

We know people sailing this week. Hope everyone is not too shaken up!!!! How scary would that be.

MJ

Is this a common occurance on cruise ships? This is the Magic's second fire in less than a year? I know they are minor and under control, but and they common?

Tina
Magic Western 308 days

Thinking the exact same thing Tina! DCL takes such good care of their ships- I can't believe they have had another fire. I wonder if the people on board will get compensated by a nice FAT discount for their inconvience?

WOW!!! How scarry that must have been. When we were on the Magic last march I was awakened by the srong smell of smoke. We called information, but were told they didn't know anything. My husband went on deck and looked around, I guess they were just burning trash. It still shook me up. We had just watched a show on the Discovery channel where there was a fire onboard the Carnival in the laundry room. I'm glad everything was fine for the people on the Magic. I'm sure we will here a trip report about it.

Actual story from the Orlando Sentinel.

Smokestack fire strikes Disney ship

By Robert Johnson and Laurin Sellers | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted March 15, 2002

Crew members on the Disney Magic cruise ship put out a fire in the rear smokestack early Thursday after ordering all 2,500 passengers to assemble near life boats before dawn.

The crew spotted the fire at about 5 a.m. and awakened passengers with a loud speaker announcement and seven blasts of the ship's horn, said Mark Jaronski, a Disney cruise line spokesman.

Passengers donned life jackets and gathered at pre-established locations, some on the deck and others inside on the main deck. Most couldn't see the flames.

"There was no distress signal sent, and if help had been needed there were other vessels minutes away," Jaronski said. He said ship functions such as power and air conditioning weren't interrupted.

The fire was extinguished at about 6 a.m. by hose-wielding crew members using water from the Magic's water treatment plant. The cause of the fire is being investigated.

The ship was about 200 miles northwest of San Juan, Puerto Rico, when the fire was discovered. It continued its weeklong journey, which began Saturday at Port Canaveral. The Magic is scheduled to return Saturday morning and leave again about 5 p.m. the same day.

It's the first fire in the history of either of Disney's two ships .

When we were on the Magic in Sept. there was a small fire in a fan motor. We just happened to be standing out on the deck and could see all the action through a window. It was handled so professionally and so quickly we were amazed. Several people around us mentioned why weren't we all ordered to our fire stations near the life boats and were quite upset. Even they had to smile when it was pointed out that we were still docked at St. Martins - who needed life boats. After seeing how quickly this small fire was handled, I have no fear of sailing again.

There was a fire in a deck 8 equipment room on the Dec. 22 sailing of the Magic. Only part of deck 8 was evacuated. My mother and daughter were evacuated to the life boat area and were not allowed back in their room the remainder of the night. They were given another room on deck 6. Some people reportedly spent the night in the lounges.
The next day workers were doing rehab work in the hall outside the equipment room and also in the rooms. There was a lot of smoke in the hall and some wooden wall panels needed to be replaced. There was also soaked carpet from the water.

I was on board but at the other end of deck 8. The fire this week was certainly not the first.

Suzanne

As others may have already noticed, the fire early Thursday got very little media (and only in Florida). Why? Because it wasn't really news. The fire was small and put out quickly, no one got hurt, no impact on schedule or services. So my gut is this event will be forgotten pretty quickly.

Originally posted by mikeymars

My gut is this event will be forgotten pretty quickly.

Except for the 2500 people who had to put on their life jackets and assemble at their assembly stations before dawn.

Originally posted by Dave_from_Marietta

Except for the 2500 people who had to put on their life jackets and assemble at their assembly stations before dawn.

Granted, although I've heard louder, longer complaints from people who didn't like a given show on board or what was served for dinner the last night of their cruise than I expect from these 2500! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter