Just Say No to Doom and Gloom!

WeLoveABD

DIS Veteran
This blog site has a relatively short history--and up until lately it was very upbeat and filled with great trip reports. And now--what a drag some of these posts have been. I have no vested interest in ABD--other than I'd like to see it continue, and succeed, as my family has enjoyed every trip.

Is Disney cutting corners? I think they are trying to change to accommodate guest requests AND operate within their budget. Does anyone expect Disney to provide trips and go in the red? (I have been on other tours with other groups--and there is a difference in the feel of the trip. I can't quite place the "why"-other than I know when I go on the Disney adventure, it really is relaxing and I learn about the area and culture. The guides, clearly, are top of the line and always go out of their way to accommodate guest needs. And maybe the shared interest of the group--drawn in initially by the promise of quality by Disney--is a big factor too) As I mentioned in other threads, my family did a driving trip from San Diego to Yellowstone and back--staying in a few of the places Disney stayed. (In the Grand Canyon, we were lucky enough to book a year in advance and get a room at the El Tovar--no question the Thunderbird is a less impressive space, but your ON THE RIM of the Grand Canyon! Disney can't build a new hotel for guests--and the national park places are what they are). We came across the Disney group at the Red Cliff resort--and boy did I miss having things handled for me! I chatted with the guides briefly and wished I were on that bus--doing it on your own allows a certain freedom, sure, but I also had to worry about gas, directions, food, hikes etc etc.

Your trip is what you make it in the end. Don't fall into gloom and doom--don't create a self-fulling prophesy!

Finally...I agree that there are higher end tours with other companies (maybe their reps have been blogging?)--but you'll pay more. And everyone is affected by this economy, those other tours included. I guess I just have faith that in the long run the Disney folks will want to keep as much polish on these trips as possible, while fighting a bad economy and still struggling as an "upstart" tour company.

Here's to great trips and lasting memories!

You know, I remember several years back, the economy was bad, and attendance at Disneyland was really down. Disney started cutting corners; you could see chipped paint here & there around the park, it wasn't as spotless... People noticed, people complained, people predicted it was the beginning of the end for Disneyland. Thank goodness, it wasn't. I don't know if things picked up, or they realized the care and spotlessness of Disneyland was part of what made the place special, and drew people in. It's not like that any more. (At least in my experience!)

I'm hoping this is the same sort of growing pain. Maybe they thought no-one would notice. But people did, and people have complained, and hopefully things will get better again.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a wonderful, magical Adventure in Alaska in just a hair over a month!

Sayhello

Just Say No to Doom and Gloom!
This blog site has a relatively short history--and up until lately it was very upbeat and filled with great trip reports. And now--what a drag some of these posts have been. I have no vested interest in ABD--other than I'd like to see it continue, and succeed, as my family has enjoyed every trip.

Is Disney cutting corners? I think they are trying to change to accommodate guest requests AND operate within their budget. Does anyone expect Disney to provide trips and go in the red? (I have been on other tours with other groups--and there is a difference in the feel of the trip. I can't quite place the "why"-other than I know when I go on the Disney adventure, it really is relaxing and I learn about the area and culture. The guides, clearly, are top of the line and always go out of their way to accommodate guest needs. And maybe the shared interest of the group--drawn in initially by the promise of quality by Disney--is a big factor too) As I mentioned in other threads, my family did a driving trip from San Diego to Yellowstone and back--staying in a few of the places Disney stayed. (In the Grand Canyon, we were lucky enough to book a year in advance and get a room at the El Tovar--no question the Thunderbird is a less impressive space, but your ON THE RIM of the Grand Canyon! Disney can't build a new hotel for guests--and the national park places are what they are). We came across the Disney group at the Red Cliff resort--and boy did I miss having things handled for me! I chatted with the guides briefly and wished I were on that bus--doing it on your own allows a certain freedom, sure, but I also had to worry about gas, directions, food, hikes etc etc.

Your trip is what you make it in the end. Don't fall into gloom and doom--don't create a self-fulling prophesy!

Finally...I agree that there are higher end tours with other companies (maybe their reps have been blogging?)--but you'll pay more. And everyone is affected by this economy, those other tours included. I guess I just have faith that in the long run the Disney folks will want to keep as much polish on these trips as possible, while fighting a bad economy and still struggling as an "upstart" tour company.

I really receive everything you just said and appreciate it!

I hope that this can continue to be a safe place where we can vent concerns. I am looking forward to our trip very much! I just wish that our hotels had been more descriptive to include how "rustic" or how "standard hey were going to be, those are important details for me!

We leave Aug 25th and I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks again for your fearless feedback!

HG

I guess I do appreciate the information on the down side... and I know that there are places where people probably see down sides to the china trip too... but sitting here with a window that overlookds an artist's workshop and a giant granite rock, I can't for the life of me figure out what they might be... other than some of the bathrooms are less than fantastic (but that is what hand sanitizer is for and they really are what the locals use every day... and I've decided that that is all part of this adventure too)

I think to some extend the trip really is what you make of it.

I appreciate honest feedback both positive and negative; that's why I read these boards. With limited vacation time and dollars, it's important to make an informed decision and benefit from others experiences to get the best value and know what to expect.

Thanks to all who post their honest opinion about service, accommodations, etc.

Thanks for the comments and as with all these boards everyone us entitled to an opinion. However if you reread most of these posts they in the main talk of very positive expeiences however they do point out the changes that have occured.

I cannot trully appreciate how disney justify these cutbacks when we know that as a company they have not only cut back the level that we as a customer receive but also reduced the contracted rate with most of their suppliers ie: hotels, coach companies.
In this climate Disney have made the most of the down turn and have renegotiating with their suppliers. Having previously been in the industry we enjoy engaging with these suppliers and learning about current trends etc.
They are benefitting both ways. In addition they cancelled trips so that none of the tours ran with reduced numbers. The same hotel tour operators have also therefore again lost out because they have been left with empty hotel rooms....

I like everyone had a fabulous time and have had an amazing experience that I would trully like to repeat. However I will not automatically have the level of expecation that we have had previously. As I wote recently those who have never done an ABD before will be blown away, but as you can see from the posts from those that have - there is a difference.

I know I have written my post in the hope that "the powers that be" are reading it and realise the people do notice the small cutbacks and changes and perhaps this is not a time to do that,,,,be saisfied that you have managed to recontract your supplier rates and leave it at that.

I do not think comments like these will stop people using disney ABD, ourselves included but forewarned is fore warned.
I too look forward to my next trip!!

I have to agree with the OP. I've been bummed reading these boards lately too. I must take responsibility for letting the negatives scare me probably more than it should but with a 10K trip looming the expectations are pretty high.

I think the ABD board is small but mighty and the more advertures we have here posting the better the overall critique of the trips will be. Means we ALL have to take more ABD trips!! :goodvibes

SO much valuable information and positive reviews in amongst the few negatives. The negatives can help me be forewarned. I hope everyone continues to be honest. I just packed a long extension cord today so I can put my fan in the window in Yellowstone. I would never have known to do that without these boards :thumbsup2

Someone's great moment could be the exact opposite for someone else. Isn't it great that so many different personalities are DISers?

We leave for our Quest for the West tomorrow morning. I SO agree that the trip is what we make of it.

TK

Having recently returned from my second wonderful adventure, my feelings are just the opposite of doom and gloom. I can hardly wait for the 2010 itineraries to be announced so I can start planning for next summer. I hope all of you with upcoming trips have as much fun as we did.

I didn't think the negatives were truly down -just realistic.
Especially compared to the other forums on this board (blogs are different than discussion boards FYI:))
If you look at the restaurant reviews -resort reviews etc.. These boards are still overwhelmingly positive.
We loved our vacation (Ireland) -I wonder if the National park trips have a harder time competing with the level of service we are able to get in some of the other countries.

I have been reading this board for alittle over a year.I just got back in June from the Spirit of America tour and had a very good time.You have to remember that the resorts are not Disney's and they don't have alot of control over apperance and service their.The Great wolf Lodge left alot to be desired but if I complained to the guides they would have made it right.It was not that bad.I have to keep telling myself these are not Disney Resorts.The over all tour was super our guides were the best Maria and Kim.What ever you needed or wanted within reason you got. I choose it because of the Disney name I feel safe.that is important to us,I'm planning Alaska 2010 starting tomorrow with ABD. I've heard horror stories about the high end tours are they true, don't know.A good friend is a travel agent and she has told us of the problems with the high end tours and she should know.Are food was good alot of choices and didn't hear any negative feedback about it.I'm a Disney purest lol I love Disney.We do Orlando a few times a year and I have seen them early in the morning doing paint touch up around the AK resort.This place has always has been clean and fresh looking.We have been to other venues here and they don't measure up.When we leave they ask us how it was and we tell them it ain't DISNEY.WE LOVE DISNEY can't wait to do more ABD

Sorry if my recent trip report was interpreted as being doom & gloom...I don't feel that was how it was perceived by most people. I am one of ABD's #1 fan's, but I don't live in a fantasy world, and I don't think most people do either. I appreciate honesty in a review, and if something wasn't up to par, I want to know about it...nobody wants to write or read a negative review, unless it's factual, and that's what I think all of the reviews have been, as of late. I say keep the "real" reviews coming...that's why people read them...to make an informed decision about a trip, or to prepare for an upcoming trip.

What I do love about this board is that it never gets nasty, like some of the other ones do. We have a great group who have lots to contribute, and though we may not all agree on everything, we seem to be a friendly bunch, who respects each other's opinions...refreshing!:)

Sorry if my recent trip report was interpreted as being doom & gloom...I don't feel that was how it was perceived by most people. I am one of ABD's #1 fan's, but I don't live in a fantasy world, and I don't think most people do either. I appreciate honesty in a review, and if something wasn't up to par, I want to know about it...nobody wants to write or read a negative review, unless it's factual, and that's what I think all of the reviews have been, as of late. I say keep the "real" reviews coming...that's why people read them...to make an informed decision about a trip, or to prepare for an upcoming trip.

What I do love about this board is that it never gets nasty, like some of the other ones do. We have a great group who have lots to contribute, and though we may not all agree on everything, we seem to be a friendly bunch, who respects each other's opinions...refreshing!:)

Totally Agree!!!

Amen, couldn't agree more :thumbsup2

Amen, couldn't agree more :thumbsup2

Yes, I also agree. Thank you to everyone who posts their honest and factual trip reports. I surely do appreciate it. All reports posted have helped me make a decision on what trip I might like to take in the future. Due to all of the wonderful posts I picked Costa Rica this year and had the trip of a lifetime! Thanks to all who gave their great advise!!!

We are going on Backstage Magic on 09/22/09. We have read some blogs on other websites about our trip. Yes, we might be paying more if we tried to duplicate this trip ourselve. But what we have read - I doubt that we could even come close to duplicating the experiences.

I believe I read that someone was not happy after their Alaska trip. What did you expect flush toilets out in Denali. We took a Holland tour last year. Even though we have not been on a ABD tour yet, I believe that I would go with Disney than with Holland.

New to this topic as I ve never been on the abd tour but after reading all about it on this board Im convinced that I must go! Its because of all the trip reports and info that I have made my mind up to book a trip, Germany or the Austria trip would be my picks,so thanks to all for sharing the good or bad but from what Ive read its all good!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter