Just spent e terrifying night on The Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you for asking:). After not sleeping Friday night (during the storm), waking both Saturday and Sunday night in a sweat with my heart pounding and in tears then not being able to sleep, I finally was able to sleep last night with the help of some anti anxiety medicine (I certainly hope no one starts in on this one, I have never taken anything other than an anitbiotic in my life, but my nerves were still a complete mess, and I have to function and get back to my life.)

I am certainly happy for some of your that were on this sailing with us that you were not terrified, but for many of us it was the most terrifying experience in our lives (I think the fact that MANY people share this sentiment should be enough for all of you saying we are whining to shut up, but some people simply have NO compassion whatsoever).

I hope my fellow sailors are all feeling better as well. In particular the children that were terrified. Mine children have adjusted to home well, and the 'telling of the tale' to friends and family seems to be therapeutic for all of us.

I will not be putting them or myself and husband on DCL ship anytime soon (I am not a believer in the word 'never'), I have lost my trust and faith in them, period.:worried:

I have a lot of compassion and concern for you. I am not putting down what you have gone through, I am only putting down those saying (summarizing here) "The 25% off is not good enough we should have more"

This storm got BIG real fast. I truly truly believe the Captain made the best decision with the information he had. If he could see into the future he would have done things differently. (Just my opinions obviously)

I really feel for you and I think Disney did the right thing by offering what they did but a lot of people are looking at it as some sort of an "admission of guilt" instead of a kind gesture.

I have not one time asked for or mentioned being compensated. Many of us have not. We were just telling our story. The intention of the OP on this thread was to tell their story.

It is beyond my imagination the lack of kindness and compassion of some of the posts (many of you have been kind and I thank you!). I have read people getting more compassion for being upset with the fast pass change over or having a hair in their cupcake at Cinderella's Royal Table, unbelievable.

My comments arent directed at the ones who are using this to tell their story like yourself. There are a few on here that are demanding compensation and slamming the capt and dcl. In my opinion it was an ordeal no one wants to go thru. The 25% is a fair amount. Many on the cruise would be happy with that, I know we would.

Hopefully the Mods will lock this thread soon because it has wildly veered away from the OP topic, into complaining and trolling from all directions. I find it very disappointing that many of the threads on the DCL board lately have started off with good intentions of informing us few DISers, and then devolve into nothing but trolling other posters.

I have a lot of compassion and concern for you. I am not putting down what you have gone through, I am only putting down those saying (summarizing here) "The 25% off is not good enough we should have more"

This storm got BIG real fast. I truly truly believe the Captain made the best decision with the information he had. If he could see into the future he would have done things differently. (Just my opinions obviously)

I really feel for you and I think Disney did the right thing by offering what they did but a lot of people are looking at it as some sort of an "admission of guilt" instead of a kind gesture.

:thumbsup2

DisneyDoc5, SLK1 and others- Not accusing all of you. This thread started with just the horrifying tales and stories. There was no negativity until some started complaining that a 25% discount wasn't enough.

Likewise, complaining that Disney shouldn't have given anything at all are equally at fault for "ruining" this threads purpose.

The thread has turned focus on those thinking they are owed more or some even thinking they are owed a full refund.

I'm sorry for making you feel like I don't care about your ordeal. I do.

Again, not trying to argue with anyone, just trying to understand...

You say the Captain took you from calm, safe waters and sailed into the storm, yet on a previous thread you say Quote:

"I was on the Dream. Our entire cruise was affected. A full refund would be well appreciated. However, my family would be satisfied with 75 or even 50%."

So either you were in "safe, calm waters" or you were riding Sandy the whole week. Do you know EXACTLY where the ship was the entire time in relation to the worst parts of Sandy? Do you know that the Captain could have stayed in those calm, safe waters without being adversely affected by worse conditions? Do you know you had enough fuel to stay out at sea???

My point is, as passengers you do not have all the facts. Just because you received an email prior to the cruise doesn't mean the forecast didn't change or become worse elsewhere. The crew made a decision...the alternative may have been worse and may have impacted many more people. You just don't know.

First, I wasn't on the ship for a week, I was on the Dream 3 day cruise.

We were taken overnight Thursday into calm safe waters Southwest of Florida. The Captain then chose to turn the ship around and sail it back into the storm.

The information on the TVs in the stateroom showed us where we were and continued coverage of Sandy shows that the storm was exactly where it was predicted to be as stated in the email from DCL.

The forecast didn't change.

And yes, we do know.

I just found out my SIL's nanny was on this cruise with her husband and 2 year old. She had other family in other cabins also. They were terrified and apparently her mother spent most of the night praying. I cannot even imagine dealing with those conditions. It was their first cruise too, and they have said their last. I feel badly that people may never be able to enjoy a cruise, when this was their first, but I totally understand. Had I been on this cruise, and it was my first, I'm not sure I would ever get back on another ship either.

DisneyDoc5, SLK1 and others- Not accusing all of you. This thread started with just the horrifying tales and stories. There was no negativity until some started complaining that a 25% discount wasn't enough.

Likewise, complaining that Disney shouldn't have given anything at all are equally at fault for "ruining" this threads purpose.

The thread has turned focus on those thinking they are owed more or some even thinking they are owed a full refund.

thank you

You are not owed something every time something scary happens in life. I'd be rich!

I am rich BECAUSE of the scary (hurtful, horrible, traumatic, etc.) things that happened in my life. They gave me wisdom and made me strong. I am old and happy.

Reading through, I know the topic is nothing to joke about, but sometime y'all make me laugh!!

MKRuns 26 said:
Hopefully the Mods will lock this thread soon because it has wildly veered away from the OP topic, into complaining and trolling from all directions. I find it very disappointing that many of the threads on the DCL board lately have started off with good intentions of informing us few DISers, and then devolve into nothing but trolling other posters.

I agree completely. The amount of ignorance demonstrated in this thread is apalling. Now I understand why you get negative responses when talking with CM's that you frequent DIS Boards for information.

That's it. I'm out.

Posters on both sides of "the aisle" professing with arrogant certainty things which they can only guess; sympathizers and empathizers on both sides with faux concern other than 'rubbernecking to see just how bad the crash was'. Hyperbole from some (warranted or not) -- casual indifference from others. And nothing exceeds the self-indulgence of a hidden agenda, be it to berate OR support Disney -- or to promote/discount what is fair (if at all) compensation. I'm reminded of George Young who quoted, "When they say it's not about the money, IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY".

I sail on the Fantasy next week. I expect nothing no matter how harrowing my cruise becomes as long as I'm safely returned to port, these are the risk I assume; I certainly won't make claims presuming I actually knew the details of what is in our captains mind. Conversely, I will not discount that everyone else may feel one hundred and eighty degrees different -- and that is their right, so I won't presume to tell anyone (i.e, my wife in particular) that they shouldn't be scared or terrified. Then again, if she tells me that she's a "survivor", I'll remind how embellishment only undermines the credibility of her claims.

So...this is my last time to look at any of these threads -- I should be equally scared of the sea, lacking in confidence that Disney or my perhaps rogue-captain will underwhelm me, but I'm choosing to entrust that folks will do what they think is best possible for the masses when faced with a Catch-22 scenario. Color me optimistic -- and pink being the color of the month, I suppose I'm wearing rose-colored glasses. One thing, I am -- is out.

Vincent

Sorry people but right away talking about what YOU want for COMPENSATION diminishes your argument. You should be trying to figure out what could have been avoided but you talk compensation. Look at the weather on Sunday. Do you think it would have been better?
As I said earlier, . Had he waited inSt. Thomas, where would all these people be? 14,000 flights have been canceled. Most people would not have gotten home anyway, they'd be stuck in Florida, probably with no money and no place to stay. I don't think DCL or the Captain would deliberately put anyone In harms way. Also, on all the videos I've seen, kids were out, adults were out and looked like they were having fun. Who in their right mind would let their kids run around like that on a deck with 50 foot waves? Some are probably the same ones complaining. You take that risk during hurricane season. From what I understand everyone also returned alive.

Yep! :thumbsup2

The FB group is closed now, but one thing I read before it was locked down was someone had called "multiple" lawyers and none of them were interested in taking the case. I expect the kerfuffle to die down pretty soon as soon the the members realize they aren't going to rake in the big bucks.

I feel the same way. I started reading the thread to learn about passenger accounts, but when some started claiming they were "owed" something more, it turned sour.

As I said before, I truly feel for you--and for the others who went through such a scary time. Hopefully, the ill effects of this are short lived. From other threads, it sounds like it was a wonderful cruise up until then.

Just my humble opinion, but if you weren't there you do not have the right to comment about how you would or would not react.

I have followed this board for a while now, but just joined so that I could post- this forum has been very helpful in planning our cruise. My family and I were on the 10/20 Fantasy, it was our very first cruise so we had nothing to compare.

My husband and I were standing on our Veranda in St.Thomas when we first heard about the hurricane, we had no idea that one had developed until the announcement was made about the reroute and not going to Castaway Cay.

I had asked my travel agent what would happen if there was a hurricane and she told me that the captain would simply go to another island or go around it and that we would never be in danger if one should happen. So I never even thought we would be in danger. Thursday was kind of rough and there was more rocking than before, and Friday all day was rough, we were bumping into things a bit and sometimes it was hard to walk, by Friday evening it was noticeably worse, at dinner we kept hearing glass break and you could feel some major rocking, lots and lots of people were feeling ill, including my husband.

We decided to stay in our stateroom following dinner and looked at the ocean from the closed veranda door, the waves were huge and it was tough to move around. It was overnight that the nightmare began and I seriously knew that we were in a horrible situation, things were flying around the room and we could not stand, the ship pitched so far that I was sure we would tip all the way over, I was screaming at my husband in panic and my teen boys telling them not to open the veranda door, we were terrified for our 19 month old and protected him in the pack &play, thankfully he slept.

I called guest services and my husband went down to get info, we were told that this was not as bad as she had been through and not to worry....we had no idea what was going on and I remember thinking "thank God" when we heard an announcement was coming, but there was not any information except for us to stay in our staterooms and then another one that the ship was ok....I personally would have felt much more relieved if there was some information about what was happening. We made it through the night in complete terror and I constantly expected to hear instructions for evacuations and putting on our life jackets etc...

Later they made announcements about getting to PC late and if you had a morning flight to call the airline, our flight was at 2:40pm so. We thought we would be ok, they told us we could go to breakfast, which we did even though we were sick in our stomachs, I tripped a few times it was still pretty rough but not like the middle of the night. After breakfast we went to our stateroom and stayed there, they informed us that security would be going through the ship as we docked and that it could take some time...

That is the last info that we received, by 11:30 we thought we should go to guest services to see what we should do, we could not even get there, there were wall to wall people everywhere, went back to the room and called GS to get advise, she told me we might make our 2:40 flight but it would be close....after another half hour we called again and she suggested that we call the airline to reschedule our flight, I told her that we had no cell service and she told us to call from our room but it would cost 6.95 per minute or we could come to GS to use their phone... We went down and it took us a LONG time to get to the desk, I called our travel agent and could barely speak since I was so upset and nervous, not sure what to do... Our travel agent was able to reschedule our 2:40 flight to a 8:15pm flight.... It took a very long time to get off of the ship, there was no direction and people everywhere and it was very hard for our family to stay together... We finally got to the airport around 3:00pm and waited for our 8:15pm flight, not easy task with a 19 month old, but thankful to be off of the ship and safe! None of us had slept the night before and were exhausted and sick to our stomach, I was having some severe rocking sensations and had some trouble walking.... During our flight there was some turbulence and it terrified me more than usual....we got home at 3:15am on the 28th

I am still having some rocking sensations on and off and I'm not sure how I feel about our experience.... I know that it was the most terrifying night of my life personally and feeling the ship pitch as severely as it did, I thought for sure that we were goners... I asked a lot about hurricane season and believed what I was told and never thought that we would go into a hurricane... I do wish that there was more information- I wish we had known there was a hurricane brewing sooner, I wish that there was some sort of weather information posted every few hours and I certainly wish that there was more information posted or announced Friday night and Saturday morning about what was happening, not knowing was horrible...and I really wish the disembarking was not as awful with the crowds and lack of info and instruction. Seeing the damage on the ship made us heartsick, we were so impressed with the beauty and wonder of the ship during our trip.

The people on this post saying things about whining and this is what you get when you sail during hurricane season are just plain cruel, no one has any idea how bad it was unless you lived through it personally and as a parent it was so much worse than maybe for some others because I was watching my children panic and fear for their lives and that is the worst experience ever! It's shameful the way that some of you are speaking and very disappointing...

We will go again on a DCL vacation, our experience before Thursday was fabulous and we loved every second, I will never go during hurricane season again, nor do I completely trust my TA, which may not be her fault, but I had asked so many questions and was completely reassured...I will ALWAYS book on my own and book everything through Disney, since the airline issues were a nightmare since we booked through the TA and not Disney...I am extremely thankful that we did the Disney Transfers.... We had also signed up for the pre-check-in for our flight through Disney but it got canceled and that made things a bit more confusing for us regarding our luggage and what to do etc...

Please be kind! Please do not judge others unless you have walked in their shoes! It's a sad world when people can not talk about their bad experience and horrifying night without being judged and called names for it! I have written 2 e-mails to DCL only asking a few questions about what happened, but so far have not heard anything back....

The craziest thing about this whole thread is that initially it started as a passenger sharing their experience the last night of the cruise. That particular passenger considered the experience terrifying, as did several others. Other passengers apparently felt it was unpleasant but not as terrifying. Its all relative to that specific person and nobody's opinion is right or wrong. Allow them their opinion for crying out loud!

Then, suddenly people who were not even on this cruise decided that they have the knowledge and the experience to say that this captain deliberately sailed this $900 million ship containing 4000 paying customers along with himself, into a deadly storm in the interest of making more money. That just doesnt add up. If Disney used that kind of logic they wouldnt be a multi billion dollar corporation with an impeccable reputation.

Then, several people suddenly became practicing lawyers and began talking lawsuits. Has anyone spoken with a lawyer? Has anyone spoken with Disney? Has anyone read the actual agreement that must be signed before embarkment? Are any of you people on here giving legal advice qualified to do so or are you just on her to antagonize the people who are already in a highly emotional state?

As Ive said prior, I cannot imagine what your experience was like. I do not doubt that your terror is real and I believe your anger is justified and DCL is the only tangible thing you can direct that anger towards. I can't say for sure why this happened as it did but It just doesnt make sense for the reasons to be as lecherous as some are suggesting. I do believe that DCL has extended compensation by way of a discount that even included WDW for those who do not want to cruise again. I understand that some still feel too angry to think of it this way and there is no wrong in that. But those of you who continue to fuel the fire are not helping anyone, you are just instigating.

I am rich BECAUSE of the scary (hurtful, horrible, traumatic, etc.) things that happened in my life. They gave me wisdom and made me strong. I am old and happy.

Reading through, I know the topic is nothing to joke about, but sometime y'all make me laugh!!

:thumbsup2
Exactly
My experience with DCL has been that they always put the safety of their passengers first. There was nothing to be gained by putting everyone through such an ordeal:sad2:
Obviously a mistake on the captain's part.
I am curious about the timing of the decisions made to proceed compared to the decisions of other cruiselines....
I am sure that DCL sent warnings out to other ships as soon as they realized how bad it was.
Did they all get the same weather reports?

Very unfortunate that this experience happened, but I am sure this will also make DCL much more cautious in the future.

I assume the captain of this ship was highly qualifiied, but this storm picked up speed several times, possibly a mis-judgement or slight calculated risk that backfired. imo there is absolutely no way 'corporate' would knowingly seriously endanger the ship.

I've booked storm season several times in the past and had no issue. Once during shoulder season early Dec. we hit tail end of a storm:crazy2:. It's a tradeoff for the decreased cruisefare but odds of rough weather are certainly increased:confused3

That said, imo it never hurts to ask (notice I didn't use the word demand:rolleyes1) for compensation when travel goes awry. DCL was wise to rapidly announce what they were offering.

I was recently on a flight back from Hawaii and we hit an air pocket and drop severval hundred feet, the captain came on and assured us everything was fine. A few people got hurt and a few drinks were spilled. Yes, it could've been considered a terrifying experience, but it happened. Not once did I want to call the airline demanding a refund, discount, etc because the pilot should've known about the air pocket. This is the risk we all have to think about when traveling. Always epect the unexpected. I said my peace and I'm done with this thread.

Oh, good luck with that Class Action lawsuit, should've read your contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter