Just took tour at Boardwalk, now need to get parents to join!

P

Pkdcoastrs

Hi!

I'm new to this board We just got back from our trip that was July 29-August 8! On the 2nd to last day my dad, sister, and me took the tour a the Boardwalk for the DVC!! My mom was too skeptical so she wouldn't go :mad: ...Anyway, the tour was great! Our guide was friendly, informative, and never asked us to sign up or anything. My dad and sister definetly like the idea of joining, but since my mom didn't go on the tour, she is still skeptical about joining...If possible, could members email me or post here, about how you decided to join, how it is to use points, is it worth it, any probems, etc....I want to print stuff out to show my mom how everything works, and hopefully we will sign up when we go back down in November! I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone did this for me!!! We've shown her the book that they give and the papers, and she seems somewhat positive towards it! Again, anything about your experiences would be GREAT!!

Thanks A LOT

hi: did you guys get the video for your mom to watch? if not, you can have your dad call and order one. she can call your guide if you have any questions at all. also, you might want to print out the faq from this site to help her. are you going in november at the time of the teachers' convention? if you go in november and she just wants to take a look at the models, you can just pop in at vwl and take a look see at their model.

The three of us went to WDW in 1997 and stayed at the Boardwalk. When we arrived we went to EPCOT for dinner. When we returned to our room there was a message asking us to stop by for a tour and free trivia cards. Well, we waited until the day we were leaving to stop in. We listened to the sales pitch, talked about it and decided to buy. At the time we bought they took a percentage of our bill and applied it to the down payment. We knew we would be back to vist Disney and we noted how much our bill was. It made sense to purchase the timeshare so we would have a nice hotel to stay in for our future trips. We try and plan at least one large trip per year. On the years we make multiple trips we stay in the budget hotels. The great thing about this timeshare is that you have the opportunity to stay in deluxe hotels, instead of Holiday Inns. All we can say is that we have been pleased with our purchase, the hotles we have stayed in, the service and the people we have met in Disneyworld and these boards.

Hi Mike! First I want to say....I GREW UP IN DUMONT!!! :D :D :D Randolph Avenue. It's great to see another Dumont-er here. Are your parents originally from Dumont? I may have gone to school with them. :rolleyes: (I went to St. Mary's and Dumont High, but moved before graduating.)

Anyway, back to DVC. We went to WDW for the first time in '97 and thought of it as "the trip of a lifetime". But the following year, I had the urge to go back, so we booked another trip in '99. DH was kind of reluctant to do it again "so soon" :rolleyes:, but went along with it. After that trip, we just knew we had to go back...and originally planned it for 2 years later. But then couldn't wait, so we went in 2000. While we were there, we decided to look into DVC, since we had finally admitted to ourselves that we were hooked!

DH didn't want to go on the tour; just wanted me to pick up brochures. But the next thing I knew, we had an appointment for the presentation, which DH was NOT happy about going to. Well, we went, and HE was sold on it! We purchased two days later (Vero Beach) but after coming home and checking out info on the DIS, we decided to cancel and look for a BWV resale. We purchased the resale in February of this year.

Our first DVC trip will be in November...a 2-bedroom at BWV. We're extremely excited about it. One problem we were starting to have was trying to comfortably fit 3 kids in a hotel room with us. The 2 bedrooms will be wonderful, as will the WASHER and DRYER. I think I'm most excited about that!

Good luck with your mom!

Hi Mike, I'm the one that gave you the link to this site. All I can say is, good luck. If you can convince your parents to buy, you and your sister and your future children have many wonderful Disney years ahead! But that's what you have in mind, right? My 10 year old DD doesn't realize it yet, but she's probably going to get more use out of our membership than we will - we'll be around 90 when it expires!

Mike,
I have a questions for you about the tour you took at BWV. Were you able to take a look at the actual rooms at BWV? Or did they only show you a demo room?

We are going in Sept and plan to take the same tour. We are also considering a resale at BWV and would like to get a look at the rooms there before we buy.

Hey Dumont! My family is in Emerson.

Here's my story. Our family was in WDW in 1991, right before DVC was opening.

We took a tour at their presentation center, and we were hooked when we saw the spacious rooms. No more complaints about having to share beds, and, TWO BATHROOMS! Need I say more. I can just toss in a load of laundry, so there's less that we have to pack.

I don't know how old you are, but two of my three kids are now in college. We're still taking great trips because it's all on "points." The maintenance fees are nothing in comparison to what the same accommodations would cost as cash. Our best trip was 12/19/99 through 1/4/01 at OKW. That's 17 days, most during peak season, all on points! It was fantastic.

Good luck in convincing your Mom. How about adding a promise to mow the lawn, take out the garbage, walk the dog........;)

And Regina, I lived in Poughkeepsie for a year after college! :D

Your Mom is probably the 'victim' of some horrible past experience with a timeshare salesman, and has every reason to be skeptical. We were staying at the Contemporary in 1992, and were absolutely NOT going to look at a timeshare presentation. We were on our way to EPCOT via monorail, and a young couple were talking to another couple about the new Disney condos, they had gone to presentation and bought the previous day. The other gentlemen said he was NOT interested in a timeshare, they were all crooks, etc. The younger couple had said "You've never seen anything like these. Well, we were going to be at Disney for 2 weeks, so we had time to kill. We signed up for a tour at the EPCOT kiosk (then located in the exit area or Spaceship Earth). They offered to take us right over, but we decided to make a tour appointment for the following morning. We were so impressed by the quality the presentation, and OKW (which at that time was only a few buildings, the area Peninsular Road didn't cross the bridge, yet) we became members that day, and have NEVER regretted it.

Mickey_Maniac.
Whether they show you demo rooms or not, I can assure you that they are the same. At OKW, the had a special biulding for the presentation. They replace the building after OKW was sold out. From personal experience the rooms were the same. At BWVs, the did not have a special building, but I am resonably sure they set aside a few rooms for their presentations. Now, these rooms are being used for owners and guests.

It sounds like you have been burned someplace?

Joe T.:
No I havent been burned, I was just wondering if it would be possible for us to see the actual rooms at BWV. We are considering a resale there and have never seen it. I am staying 2 nights at OKW in Sept and have stayed at WL, so BWV is the only we won't have seen.

When you say the rooms are the same,do you mean that the rooms at WL are the same size and shape as those at BWV?

I'll tell you the story about how DH and I bought into the DVC.

We were staying at the WL for a 4 day weekend trip(kind of spur of the moment) and my DH was waiting for me to meet him in the lobby. He got to talking to the guy in the DVC booth, and before we knew it, we had an appointment to do the tour!

The next day, the DVC van came to get us, and took us to OKW, where the presenatation was going to be. At that time, there was only OKW and BW, and I don't think BW was actually finished yet, but they were selling it, or maybe it had just been finished. In any event, we watched the presentation, took the tour of the units, and were mightily impressed with the whole thing, and most of all with the fact that it was a completely non-pressure sales pitch. It wasn't actually even a sales pitch per se...our guide was more like that...a guide to answer questions and give info.

Well, DH is a real estate agent and loves to research things to the "nth" degree, where I would have bought it on the spot, I was so impressed!!! Anyhow, we took all the info home, DH researched it, crunched numbers 10 ways from Sunday and finally determined that if you were going to use it at least every other year, it would be worthwhile to have. We love WDW, and knew we'd like to try and go at least every year, so we decided to buy 200 points, which I think we decided on based on the fact that 200 points would get us about 2 weeks in a studio in OKW, which was going to be our home resort. We chose OWK cuz the common charges were a little cheaper than BW, and the room sizes were slightly bigger.

We have never regretted our purchase. It is well worth the money for people like us, who have now taken to trying to go twice a year when possible. Usually one trip is a longer one(10 days) and one trip is a shorter one(4-7 days). The flexibility is wonderful. We have stayed at OKW in a studio, a 1 bedroom, and a 2 bedroom, we have stayed in BW in a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom, and in the fall we are staying in the WLV in a 1 bedroom.

From a financial standpoint, I find it much easier to come up with the smaller payment every month than to have to scrimp and save $1200-$1500 for accomodations every time we go...it just
seems like less of a financial burden that way to me. Also the DVC has one of the best resale rates going...it's a very sought after commodity, and also very easy to trade should you want to do that at some point. DH and I did that once, staying at The Plaza hotel in NYC to see a Broadway play for my 35th birthday...it was very nice!!!!

Hope all these points make your mom at least want to lookinto it.All the properties are beautiful(atleast the ones I've stayed at have been) and the rooms are nice and roomy...you don't feel at all cramped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter