• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just want to go old school

JennyN

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, I see all these new things to make the trip “easier/ more enjoyable” but I just want to go old school, have a paper ticket, wander around and join a queue for a ride when I want to, eat where and when I choose at the time ( I know that I will probably have to make 2nd or 3rd choices on this). Just really take it as it comes without having to plan every moment or spend the day checking an app on my phone. My question is, Is this doable?

Hi everyone, I see all these new things to make the trip “easier/ more enjoyable” but I just want to go old school, have a paper ticket, wander around and join a queue for a ride when I want to, eat where and when I choose at the time ( I know that I will probably have to make 2nd or 3rd choices on this). Just really take it as it comes without having to plan every moment or spend the day checking an app on my phone. My question is, Is this doable?

I wouldn't say you have to plan every moment, but doing some planning and getting Genie+ is going to maximize your time and make for a better trip.

Technically, what the OP wants is doable. However. a serious outside factor is going to be crowds. Strategies like early entry and first trip on the mono to the back of the pack makes a big difference at opening. Moving and doing opposite of everyone else's helps some too (altho that is now debatable with so many people). We went a few months ago w/o Genie and had no issues and go the rides we wanted but the crowds were insane.

Good luck, JennyN!

Wife and I did that one our last day of the trip last summer. Let the kids go off with our Genie+ while we rode Main Street Vehicles, the train, ate a late breakfast outside overlooking Fantasyland, rode standby on all the Fantasyland rides, and then just walked around enjoying our time together. Met the kids for lunch at 1pm, which was an existing reservation we had for Carnation Cafe. Split up again after lunch. It was a great day.

Granted, we did previous days completely with the app, Genie+, and virtual ordering. You will have some long waits but if you want to be free and easy, I don't think it's a terrible way to go. Just know going in what you might be signing yourself up for.

Is it possible to have at least one person in your group download the app and hold your tickets? I don't think it'd be a good idea to not get tickets and a reservation online and just show up. Most days we've gone it's been sold out with a big sign at the front saying they weren't selling any tickets at the gates.

I'm going to take my parents next year and the plan is for me to be in charge of the app and tickets, mobile food orders, etc. so they can enjoy things "old school" style. I'll check them in for rides too or get them a magic band.

It's absolutely doable. Most people here on the DIS will disagree with me and that's ok as everyone has a different Disney touring style.

Historically crowded days will make it more difficult to accomplished a relaxed visit. Looking at when you are going to attend DLR might help with pre-planning this type of adventure.

My understanding in planning our upcoming trip is that DL doesn't require as much schedule as say WDW... The rides/G+ really depend on what you want to ride and how long you're willing to wait... but it sounded to me from the advice around here that things like dining reservations aren't such a big deal.

Our plan is to have dining reservations for 1 park day (I want to experience Blue Bayou) and the other 3 days we will just eat when we want to/wherever it looks good, since there are a lot more non- table service options at DL.

Before you go to the park, you will need to buy a park ticket and make a reservation. If you were willing to wait in long lines for food and rides depending on what you wanted to do, you could do it. You might not be able to ride as many attractions, but it would be possible.

I wouldn't reccomend this for someone doing a first trip, but if it is not your first trip or you know will be going back another time, I'd say give it a try.

Everyone has their own style of touring. Go with no expectations, you won’t be disappointed. Find the quiet places, enjoy a beverage, people watch, do what makes you happy.

Try not to get run over by all those trying to ride every ride in the park in one day!
Enjoy your visit!

Before you go to the park, you will need to buy a park ticket and make a reservation. If you were willing to wait in long lines for food and rides depending on what you wanted to do, you could do it. You might not be able to ride as many attractions, but it would be possible.

I wouldn't reccomend this for someone doing a first trip, but if it is not your first trip or you know will be going back another time, I'd say give it a try.
You could do what we do for food and avoid the lines; bring your own. DL is surprisingly accommodating. We pack a lunch in a insulated bag and leave it in a locker. They have a picnic area under the beam in the esplanade - you don't even need to go through security. It saves you a bunch of money and is no more difficult than finding a place to eat inside the park.

Unfortunately G+ has made the lines unnaturally long. Everyone who has G+ will be cutting in front of you all day. As long as you are mentally prepared to ignore that, welcome to old school - just chose the lines however you like.

I remember someone on the board did that a few months ago and she had a great time. She didn't want to use any of the app features, but she did of course have to buy tickets ahead of time and make park reservations.

I think it's a good idea to have the app just to check wait times, because I don't know if they still have that board that posts them.

Also, mobile order is actually pretty handy. You order your food and it's waiting for you when you get there. Not necessary, though, if you don't feel like dealing with it.

You'll still have a fun trip even without Genie+ :)

I remember someone on the board did that a few months ago and she had a great time. She didn't want to use any of the app features, but she did of course have to buy tickets ahead of time and make park reservations.

I think it's a good idea to have the app just to check wait times, because I don't know if they still have that board that posts them.

Also, mobile order is actually pretty handy. You order your food and it's waiting for you when you get there. Not necessary, though, if you don't feel like dealing with it.

You'll still have a fun trip even without Genie+ :)
Yes, I remembered that as well! I found her mini trip report: https://www.disboards.com/threads/no-app-day-trip-report-and-random-thoughts.3897670/

It's absolutely doable. Most people here on the DIS will disagree with me and that's ok as everyone has a different Disney touring style.

Historically crowded days will make it more difficult to accomplished a relaxed visit. Looking at when you are going to attend DLR might help with pre-planning this type of adventure.
Agree. For a first time trip, maybe not. For a return trip or for someone who knows the parks fairly/very well? Fine. As long as the OP knows the basics and knows how to use the app (just in case), a low key, no tech day can work well.

When I go with my two boys this is basically what we do. We have Magic Keys but I don’t buy Genie+ for every visit. I occasionally buy it when we go with out-of-town visitors or special occasions. That said, we usually only go on a few rides each visit unless it’s unusually uncrowded (rare) or we rope drop. So if you don’t care about riding many rides or riding very specific rides it won’t be a problem.

I wouldn’t give up mobile order for anything though, ha ha. Why wait in a huge line when you can just mobile order it and walk over to pick it up?

I’m with you. I’m returning to Disneyland for the first time in 15 years, after living in SoCal and going often. I’m a planner, but it really seems like a bit of a chore now.

You can totally still do that, but one word of advice is that if you don't use Mobile Order for food your wait can be long - REAL LONG.

I was in a 45min line just to order food at Jolly Holiday Bakery in Mid November, return time on the app was 2+ hours after we were hungry - and all the food places were like this.
From then on we had to order food in the morning for all our meals so we could eat at normal times without wasting so much time in food ordering lines.

Thank you for all your replies. We have our tickets and our reservations. We are in the 2 parks for 5 days. This is certainly not our first time to DL so we know what we want to do but it’s not the end of the world if we miss out on something. Oh I forgot, we have a booking for BB, I wouldn’t risk that. We will be back in October so if going “ old school” doesn’t work we will have to relook at it for October. 😃

Thank you for all your replies. We have our tickets and our reservations. We are in the 2 parks for 5 days. This is certainly not our first time to DL so we know what we want to do but it’s not the end of the world if we miss out on something. Oh I forgot, we have a booking for BB, I wouldn’t risk that. We will be back in October so if going “ old school” doesn’t work we will have to relook at it for October. 😃
So, we went last year after being away for about 6 years, and I think I agree with most of what was said here. I was a bit overwhelmed and worried about all the planning before we went, but to me it didn't really seem that bad at all once we got in there and started doing it.

Genie+ was pretty easy to use, just check the ride you want, and schedule it, then wander around in that vicinity until you can go to it. I wasn't exactly happy with the extra cost, but they also folded the photo pass into it, which we always do, so that helped. And I agree that the mobile ordering is a MUST.

I definitely feel you on the old-school thing, I miss those days. And I don't think you need to go all-out on planning, but a few clicks on your phone can REALLY cut down on the time you stand in line, to me it was worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter