• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kapalua bay report

M

marges

We returned about a week ago from 10 nights at Kapalua Bay. We had banked points in aticipation of this trip, knowing it would be expensive, but felt that it was well worth it. Member Services had contacted us after we had made reservations for an ocean view room to tell us that we had received the "With our Compliments" package, which gave us the 6th night free, so they rebated one night's points into our membership. If I had known this in advance, I would have considered booking 12 nights, if I could get every 6th night free...or make two reservations? As it was, I already had my scarce frequent flyer tickets and didn't want to mess with those.

The package also upgraded us to an ocean front room (which is supposedly worth $80 per night), and gave us 2 free daily breakfast buffets each day. This was a real money saver. The breakfast is worth $19 per person and the buffet is fabulous. When we ate later into the morning, we really weren't even hungry until dinner, which cut down on our food bill alot!

The hotel is very nice and in an especially beautiful location, the rooms are quite spacious (There were four of us...myself, DH, DD(17) and DS(15)) and we never felt like we were on top of each other. The hotel bills itself as "understated luxury" and I'd have to say that aptly describes it. I have certainly been in more opulent accomodations for similarly priced hotels, but it is very lovely, comfortable, and serene.

We were identified as DVC, but never, ever felt that we were treated poorly for it. The bell staff was particularly helpful and friendly.

My tips:

o They have complimentary small refrigerators that are available on request (a tip from bell services). EXTREMELY helpful since drinks from the honor bar are ridiculous.

o We bought a large duffle bag with equipment which also saved us a bundle. We brought our own snorkle gear, two beach umbrellas that had their own carry pouches, and two of those sand chairs with arms that fold up into their own little pouches. No problem with checking it, on the airplane, but probably could have left the chairs at home and been okay laying on towels that were provided to hotel guests.

o We learned too late that there is a laundromat at the shopping center at Kahana, just down the road...those last pairs of underwear became very valuable!

o Lahaina is good for lots of family-friendlier eating choices that at the resort...Hard Rock Cafe...Cheeseburger in Paradise...Bubba Gump Shrimp Company...at prices that were similar to other vacation locations.

o The valet stand has a cassette for you to use on the Drives to Hana and Haleakala...very helpful...Dramamine was helpful for the road to Hana...do not stop at Hana!!! Drive as far as the seven pools...we almost missed this and it was the best part of the trip. Take sweatshirts and sweatpants for Haleakala...it is cold even midday!

That's all for now, any questions, I'd be thrilled to answer!

I'll risk being nosy, but it'll help convince my hubby to join if he knows that WDW isn't the only place to vacation- how many points did it cost you????

Not at all nosey. The room was 53 points per night...we paid 477 points for ten nights because we got the package that gave us a night for free. We have 300 points and banked some and are borrowing some for a December trip to Disney. If you plan ahead, you can do these splurge trips every so often and still go to Disney every year. I think we stayed there longer then most families did. We chose not to island hop and stay in one place which I found to be extremely relaxing.

How did you get the upgrade to the ocean front room? Did DVC member services get it for you or did you get it once you got to the hotel? I have children similar ages and we leave in 2 weeks. What did your kids like the best? Did you do a luau? Also, what about a snorkling boat trip? Is there one you can recommend? Thanks for your report- any other info you can provide, I'd be glad to hear!

The upgrade was part of the package that member services had notified me that they had booked for me. You have to be staying at least 6 days. How many days are you staying? When did you book? Did MS send you a notice that they booked you a package? I didn't even realize that the upgrade was part of the package until about a week before we left. I was looking at the website for the hotel, under package deals and noticed it. I then called the hotel to confirm my reservation and asked what type of room they had me booked in. They told me that I was booked in ocean-front and that confirmed what I saw on the website. The room looked directly at the ocean and the view was truly beautiful.

We tried to do the old Lahaina Luau (everyone says it's the best), but when we finally decided to try (the cost was something of a question mark), they were booked more than a week in advance and we weren't able to get a reservation. This luau is $70 per person, but supposedly well worth it. I suggest you call now for reservations if you want to do this. There are many discount ticket brokers about every 100 feet along Front Street in Lahaina that advertise very discounted rates for "any Luau" at as low as $19, but I really know nothing about what other luaus they might be selling or how reputable they are.

DH and DS(15) LOVED snorkeling!!! We bought two sets of nice Body Glove gear at Sams Club (I've also seen it at sporting goods stores) for around $50. It came in a very nice zippered case and was perfect for carrying to the beach. We now own it for probably the same price we would have paid to rent it and DH was kind of grossed out by using something that had been in someone's mouth. It was perfect. We did not do a boat trip...there is a lot of beautiful snorkeling right off the beach. The beach shack sells little packages of fish food for around $4. We didn't discover this until the end of the week and found that the fish will SWARM if you feed them this. The disposable waterproof cameras do a great job...I got a few on sale for 12.99 before I left home. They're around $18 at the hotel. One of the Locals told us that you will see turtles if you snorkle at the Ritz-Carlton beach next door, but we never made it there. I did persuade DD to snorkle (I enjoyed it as well), but she wasn't excited about touching fish.

The kids really enjoyed the stops along the way on the Road to Hana. They especially enjoyed the national park AFTER Hana where the 7 pools are. We almost missed this. Everyone was jumping into these pools and I was very uncertain because signs are posted everywhere warning that it is dangerous ( and I thought it seemed a little dangerous, but I do worry about everything) I did succumb and let them jump, but I have to say I couldn't watch. The scenery is is absolutely gorgeous, and the cassette from Bell Services was just the ticket.

...and regarding the boat trip. A very friendly lady who owned a little shop in PAIA, which is a funky little town which is the last town on the Hana Highway before you start your trip, told me that if you do do a boat trip, you will frequently encounter dolphins, which could be very exciting. I learned most of these things too late!

PAIA is kind of cool...DH and I spent an afternoon souvenier shopping there. There are alot of really cute shops....and CHARLEY'S Bar seems to be something of a landmark there. We had lunch there, and DH had been told by someone who goes to MAUI often that George Harrison and Willie Nelson often stop in there and play...

why not stop at Hana? Did you have ac? Was it needed? Did you check into the costs of day trips to other islands? Thanks.

Ahhhh! This brings back memories. My DH and I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon 25 years ago this month. I remember the road to Hana very well. It's the only time in my LIFE that I've ever been carsick! :rolleyes: Makes me want to go back! So good to know that now I can through DVC!

I probably should have said do not turn when you reach Hana and go back, which you are tempted to do, since you are on the road TO Hana, afterall. Hana is is very tiny rinky dink town, and many people mistakenly think that is your destination. Actually the journey is the thing. I know some people never even made one stop the entire trip thinking that they were trying to get to Hana, when in fact the only sight to see is the Hasegawa (sp?) general store, which is supposed to be mentioned in some song...anybody know which one?

What I really meant is to keep going beyond Hana. There is a national park...I forget the name...that is very beautiful and truly worth the drive. We almost missed this, and it was the highlight of the day.

We did have A/C and were glad to have it, although I don't really think you'd necessarily be miserable without it. We had thought about renting a convertible, but didn't because it would have been $150 more than our full size and short on room for 4 people. Good decision. It rained a bit during the day, and I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed it. Actually, didn't see any convertibles with the top down.

I looked into day trips to the other islands, but for four people it would have been 500-600 dollars round trip. I think you can get a one way fare for between 60 and 75 dollars.

We are tentatively planning to do Kauai next year (just me and DH) and may try a day trip to Oahu. Actually, I may try to use American Airlines miles for this...I think it is 5000 miles for a round trip ticket. DH and I both really enjoyed staying put for the length of our stay. Very relaxing and you felt that you really saw the island. The plane ride from the East Coast was long, but I had heard so many horror stories that I was prepared for something even worse. It defininately won't prevent us from going again, as many people have warned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter