• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kayak at Hilton Head with Disney

We have but it's been several years. You go out right from the resort. It's a nice relaxing kayak trip and the guide will tell you about the wildlife. They don't typically have very large groups going out at a time which is what we liked.

Our son's family enjoyed that and paddle boarding 4 years ago. I saw the groups out there this week.

We were there in October last year and for my daughters 17th birthday on 21st we decided to go kayaking (although we had no real previous experience we are quite adventurous). My wife decided she didn't want to go so myself and two daughters 17 & 13 booked single kayaks at the Disney Guest Services next to the swimming pool - no questions were asked about experience etc. We are all three short and slim built however I did not expect the reaction we got from the guide when we went along at our allotted time. It could in fact be said that he was initially incredibly rude and as we had no experience he suggested - in quite an aggressive manner - that we would be incapable of managing a kayak. Well at that point I was close to walking off and complaining to Disney about our treatment, however my anger changed to that of defiance! He decided the girls would go into a double kayak with myself in a single (although he continued to mutter about us). I think at this stage other participants were pretty embarrassed and were scared to speak in case they were targetted!

Anyway after a bit of shouting (at everybody) when we were doing our initial 'training' we all took off on the creek. As it turns out this particular day was the second highest tide of the year and the undercurrents were indeed quite strong & quite hard to deal with. Of course now we realise why the guide was annoyed about having novices in his party! As it turns out - and in the guides words - Kayaking requires brain to work out how best to control the kayak against the currents not strength and we actually got on well! The girls were even praised for their coordination.

Once we relaxed we all enjoyed our trip with lots of wildlife to see, pleasant warm sunshine and our guide even became a pleasure to be with ! I think perhaps he may have been having an off day - as we all do from time to time! We laugh about it now but we would certainly do it again. Hopefully I haven't put you off !

We loved it! I've done it a few times. It gets HOT out there though so make sure you bring lots of water

My husband and I had never kayaked before. We ended up being the only two people going on that particular tour. The guide was wonderful and we had a great experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter