• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Keeping a list/spreadsheet of thing to do in WDW

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
I recently saw, and commented on, a post by @Salf777 post on Different Things to do in WDW, and this got me thinking: Does anybody else keep a list or spreadsheet on things to do in WDW or am I the only one? Surely I can't be the only one. It's been years since I've been down, so as I find things to do I add it to a Word list. Also, I'm taking my family down in about a year or so, and looking for things to do, both inside and outside the parks. Nothing fancy, just a word list, but it's something. So who else has a list?

Seen lots of people over the years use spreadsheets to plan everything from rides to meals to bathroom breaks. Assuming you have a smart phone it might just be easier to do it there. Or I think you can do it in MDE or Genie Plus. Isn't that the one of the intended features of it?

I tried to do this for a while but over the years the list got longer and longer... I had to give up. If we took long trips it'd be one thing, but we mostly stay for less than a week at a time and only come down every couple of years. By the time we hit all our 'must do' rides and some favorite restaurants, we have time for precious little else. Some items come and go before we even have a chance. I kept hope alive that I would take a 'proper' two week jaunt down some year, but there are always too many other places we haven't been before that suck up our vacation time.

We keep a spreadsheet on google sheets so you can have it where ever you go. We like to keep a list of the snacks/restaurants at each park that we want because there just
to many to remember especially now with all the 50th snacks. IMO it just makes it easier so you don't forget to do something and it really takes little to no
time to make it. We scope out the restaurants menus before our vacation to make sure we would even want to eat there then add it to our spreadsheet.

I have a Google Sheet that has our basic info like park(s) for each day, meals, confirmation numbers. I added a section at the bottom to remind us of things we want to try or do on any particular day. All a one pager so that it isn't overwhelming.

I made a list of snacks last year for each park and we carried it with us, marking things off as we went. It was a really fun part of the trip. I'm thinking we'll do it again but have a list of 50th Anniversary snacks too.

I've seen similar for rides.

I have a spreadsheet of things I want to do and just made a list of things to do in June with my 87-year-old dad. I also have an app on my phone called AnyList that I was using for grocery shopping, so it was easy to set up a WDW list. It's nice because you can set up categories which I use for parks and add pictures of the treats I plan or eating.

Seen lots of people over the years use spreadsheets to plan everything from rides to meals to bathroom breaks. Assuming you have a smart phone it might just be easier to do it there. Or I think you can do it in MDE or Genie Plus. Isn't that the one of the intended features of it?

I know there are people who make a list to plan out their day by deciding how when they'll do things, but that's not us. We're not the kind of family that wants to plan out our entire day. So our list is more about what to do while in the parks (extra fun stuff) or non-park days. Things the whole family will get into while in the park(s). I know that sounds a bit strange saying that about WDW, but my DD will be 10 when we head down, and she won't always want to ride certain rides, and vice versa. One thing I'm thinking of, that they no longer have, is the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game. That would have been fun to play as a family.

I tried to do this for a while but over the years the list got longer and longer... I had to give up. If we took long trips it'd be one thing, but we mostly stay for less than a week at a time and only come down every couple of years. By the time we hit all our 'must do' rides and some favorite restaurants, we have time for precious little else. Some items come and go before we even have a chance. I kept hope alive that I would take a 'proper' two week jaunt down some year, but there are always too many other places we haven't been before that suck up our vacation time.

Yeah, I suspect my list will get long as well. But I'll use it as an excuse to head back down.

We keep a spreadsheet on google sheets so you can have it where ever you go. We like to keep a list of the snacks/restaurants at each park that we want because there just
to many to remember especially now with all the 50th snacks. IMO it just makes it easier so you don't forget to do something and it really takes little to no
time to make it. We scope out the restaurants menus before our vacation to make sure we would even want to eat there then add it to our spreadsheet.

Ooo Google spreadsheet! Didn't think about that. Thanks for the idea.

I have a Google Sheet that has our basic info like park(s) for each day, meals, confirmation numbers. I added a section at the bottom to remind us of things we want to try or do on any particular day. All a one pager so that it isn't overwhelming.

:thumbsup2

I have a spreadsheet of things I want to do and just made a list of things to do in June with my 87-year-old dad. I also have an app on my phone called AnyList that I was using for grocery shopping, so it was easy to set up a WDW list. It's nice because you can set up categories which I use for parks and add pictures of the treats I plan or eating.

Anylist? I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Last edited:
We do a similar spreadsheet that also includes each family member’s outfit for the day. Helps prevent overpacking and getting the kids ready in the morning.

When we went every 3 years I'd have all kinds of planning tools and created index cards for park days. Once we started enjoying Disney every few months I stopped planning anything except for an ADR at some place we were having a hard time with walk up.

In all of our years of going to Disney, we have never had a spreadsheet/index cards or timeline of what to do at each park. That isn't our vacation style. Part of the reason we go on vacation is to relax and be spontaneous and not locked into any pre-set schedule. If you have never been to Disney, I am not sure how you develop a 'plan' for a park you have never seen. You really won't know what rides/shows you like (or don't like) until you experience them for the first time. If you are a Disney regular, you likely already know where everything is and how you want to spend your time.

In both cases, I don't see have any type of extensive plan improves your vacation experience. No amount of planning will make the park any less crowded and rides can be down unexpectedly for maintenance or bad weather. You have no idea on any given day how crowded a park might be. If we see a ride line is too long, we go elsewhere and return later. I never understood how any 3rd party can suggest a 'path' to follow around the parks. Besides the rides/shows, there are also various places to shop/eat and everyone likely has their own favorites.

Obviously everyone needs park tickets, reservations and perhaps ADR's. We have never found restaurant reviews from others we don't know to be very helpful. No idea if they are the type of person who complains about everything or has the same food interests we do. Some people bash a restaurant when they happen to run out of bread sticks. Mostly, we have to experience the restaurant for ourselves to decide if it someplace we would want to experience again. Planning your bathroom breaks just seems a bit over the top to me, but whatever works for your vacation/family.

I have MANY lists and spreadsheets , all under a folder labeled Disney on my computer. Record keeping, keeping track of tips, restaurants, rides, etc is a way to feel in control in a chaotic planning process. My son is autistic and everything we do has to be quick and deliberate. Although, now with genie+ and LL, half of my notes are obsolete.

I have MANY lists and spreadsheets , all under a folder labeled Disney on my computer. Record keeping, keeping track of tips, restaurants, rides, etc is a way to feel in control in a chaotic planning process. My son is autistic and everything we do has to be quick and deliberate. Although, now with genie+ and LL, half of my notes are obsolete.

Totally understand on that on.

I keep a spreadsheet with days across the top and times across the left. We do this for every trip to organize our planning as a family but we're primarily focused on:
- ADRs and meal planning
- Parks/Park reservations, and general plans to hop, visit resorts, and around when, but nothing's precise except for the ADRs or if there's a night-time show we want to see.

Over the years it's become much more of a general guideline to keep in mind when we might want to head somewhere.

I just started a list on my phone of restaurants we would like to dine at during our next trip. Always something changing in between trips and so it's good to keep a list.

I keep a spreadsheet with days across the top and times across the left. We do this for every trip to organize our planning as a family but we're primarily focused on:
- ADRs and meal planning
- Parks/Park reservations, and general plans to hop, visit resorts, and around when, but nothing's precise except for the ADRs or if there's a night-time show we want to see.

Over the years it's become much more of a general guideline to keep in mind when we might want to head somewhere.

Totally. I don't want to have my entire day planned, that's not fun for me. I like to walk and do things at they come up. So my list is more of finding things to do as a family that's not ride related, like the aforementioned Sorcerer's of Magic Kingdom game that no longer exists. I'm also adding things to my list for non-park days, like resort hopping. I've always wanted resort hop but have never done it, this is now on my list of things to do with the family.

Last edited:
I recently saw, and commented on, a post by @Salf777 post on Different Things to do in WDW, and this got me thinking: Does anybody else keep a list or spreadsheet on things to do in WDW or am I the only one? Surely I can't be the only one. It's been years since I've been down, so as I find things to do I add it to a Word list. Also, I'm taking my family down in about a year or so, and looking for things to do, both inside and outside the parks. Nothing fancy, just a word list, but it's something. So who else has a list?
Spreadsheets are my jam! I may do one for our next trip but with the Genie+ it's all up in the air. But I like a plan and an itinerary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter