Keeping Costs Down

To keep costs down I do the following...stay during the 'off' season; stay at a value or moderate hotel; keep my eye open for 'specials' and choose the one that saves me the most money it goes back & forth between a percentage off the room or free dining; don't rent a car - I rely only on the free transportation, yes it takes longer, but free is free; I also keep a very close eye on flight costs & try to snag the best deal I can. I also practice something I call pre-search. About 18-15 months before my vacation, I build vacations based on exactly one year before I intend to take my vacation, along with flights (because this is the typical window I would be booking my vacation in a year)...this gives me an approximate monetary total, it lets me know when specials are typically announced and what they could / should be. I just make sure to add 5 - 10% to my saving budget to account for inflation...the tickets & hotel room prices go up every year.

Definitely bringing your own food & drink. Staying on site is nice for this, because it's fairly easy to go back to your resort for pool time & lunch. Then you can go to your room and have a nice big lunch (I'll make big sandwiches, have some fruit, chips/popcorn, and maybe a couple beers) before relaxing at the pool & heading back to the parks. I never buy water in the parks.

I stay at a value resort, carry a refillable water bottle (they can be refilled at the drink station or with water from any QS location free), don't splurge on the extra hard ticket items, pack bars for breakfast and other snacks, no dining plan (unless that is a must do or it is "free") and stick to mostly counter service restaurants (I prefer that solo usually anyway).

I see some that cruise solo and enjoy - that hasn't been for me even with a group so I'm not the best one to help with that. I'm also not a sit on the beach person when I'm alone so WDW would be my option.

Checkout the DVC rent/trade board here on the DIS for renting a reservation from a DVC member.
You can get deluxe accommodations onsite for the price of a moderate or less.

I'm considering different options for traveling solo in fall 2019: Cruise versus WDW versus using a VRBO studio vacation rental near a beach somewhere.

I am wondering what tips WDW solo travelers have to keep their WDW trip costs down that does not include finding a friend to share accommodation costs. Also, I do not want to stay off-site. As a former frequent WDW traveler with friends and family, I now find myself without travel companions but still have the desire to go.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I like to stay at Swan or Dolphin, great area by boardwalk, easy transportation. Plus its cheaper than staying at the deluxe resorts all around there. Still a little more expensive than a value thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter