Keeping mashed potatoes warm in crock pot ???

As others have said, if you have to keep it heated on a temp higher than necessary, you have to keep adding liquid so it doesn't evaporate out. Problem is, they all have problems. Constantly adding extra milk, cream or butter are going to really up the fat content. Adding extra chicken stock is going add extra salt. None of that goes away, just because the moisture does.
If sodium is an issue, you can get unsalted stock.

As others have said, if you have to keep it heated on a temp higher than necessary, you have to keep adding liquid so it doesn't evaporate out. Problem is, they all have problems. Constantly adding extra milk, cream or butter are going to really up the fat content. Adding extra chicken stock is going add extra salt. None of that goes away, just because the moisture does.
How about saving and using the "potato water" from when you cooked the potatoes?

How about saving and using the "potato water" from when you cooked the potatoes?

:scratchin Now that might work. :idea: Just don't keep stirring, as a PP poster said it may become a starchy texture. I wonder if cracking the lid a bit and putting it on ajar, might help keep the temp down?

A slow cooker and crockpot are the same thing.

Lovestimone here,

What I have is more like a slow warmer, it was my Granny's she always called it a slow cooker so that's what I call it.... so its about 40+ years old my mom thinks that its older than that and still going strong...

It's made by West Bend... it's off white and has that avocado green leaf design on the front.... It has a warming plate... you sit the container on top of non stick interior ( which is in perfect condition), and a lid, as well you have to plug in the bottom and plug into the wall... I have had to have the plug in the wall replaced, when it was getting sorta frayed... It's bigger than a standard loaf pan... everyone that see it ...always say, "you have a electric warmer", or an old school slow cooker....

I did buy a new one from West Bend and it is like a crock pot, when I bought it I thought I could use it like the one granny gave to me... Not so much, I could not get the heat low enough to just warm,.... I only used it once, and then I donated it to the women shelter, When DD's college class was getting donations for the shelter......I have several crock pots and they all cook basically the same, I do have one that has a true temperature setting and that one you can control the heat better, still not down to true warming temp...

The one my granny handed down to me is more like a true warmer, I put chili con queso, spinach and artichoke dip, Buffalo chicken dip, as well I have used it for BBQ, Buffalo, Asian chicken wings, meatballs and have even made broccoli casserole in it, I make it the day before then put it in the pan on warm, add more cheese and crackers for the topping and it come out like I made it in the oven...

Lovestimone here,

What I have is more like a slow warmer, it was my Granny's she always called it a slow cooker so that's what I call it.... so its about 40+ years old my mom thinks that its older than that and still going strong...

It's made by West Bend... it's off white and has that avocado green leaf design on the front.... It has a warming plate... you sit the container on top of non stick interior ( which is in perfect condition), and a lid, as well you have to plug in the bottom and plug into the wall... I have had to have the plug in the wall replaced, when it was getting sorta frayed... It's bigger than a standard loaf pan... everyone that see it ...always say, "you have a electric warmer", or an old school slow cooker...

The one my granny handed down to me is more like a true warmer, I put chili con queso, spinach and artichoke dip, Buffalo chicken dip, as well I have used it for BBQ, Buffalo, Asian chicken wings, meatballs and have even made broccoli casserole in it, I make it the day before then put it in the pan on warm, add more cheese and crackers for the topping and it come out like I made it in the oven...

I have this exact one! I got it at my bridal shower in 1995. I still use it a couple times a year.

This is a great recipe, geared for the mashed potatoes being kept in a crockpot.
We typically start the potatoes as soon as turkey goes in the oven, although, the recipe states you can make these the day before, and heat up in crockpot.
We put in crockpot on low as soon as the are mashed.

HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES

5 pounds Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup milk
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 ground black pepper (We add a very tiny bit of pepper, I do not care for pepper too much)
4 strips cooked bacon, chopped (optional)

Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return to saucepan.

Add milk, cream cheese, and butter to potatoes. Mash with hand masher or electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in garlic salt and pepper. Spoon into a 12 x 9 inch casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Remove potatoes from refrigerator 3 1/4 hours before serving time. Coat slow cooker insert with vegetable oil spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker. Cover and heat on low setting 3 hours, stirring tiwce. Add chopped bacon before serving, if desired. Potatoes can be held ad additional 30 minutes if needed. Makes sixteen 1/2 cup servings.

NOTE: Mashed potatoes also may be reheated in oven. Bake uncovered in casserole dish for 45 minutes until hot. (SORRY - recipe did not specify the temp here.)

Not sure, but if I would try it, I would open it up and stir it every hour - ish or so. I wondering if stirring would keep them from getting that crunchy top.
I did this last thanksgiving with both potatoes and squash, and it worked out perfect! my sister said...hum, good idea, never thought of doing it! it was great! I stirred them every once in a while, in fact this year I am getting a double one to keep things warm

I use cream cheese, sour cream and heavy cream to make my Thanksgiving mashed potatoes. A little more fat won't hurt. lol

Dh makes the potatoes here, he uses 1% milk which is what we always have but uses a stick or more of butter so I agree, some extra cream or whatever in the crockpot to keep them moist isn't going to make that much difference. Besides I don't think people are talking a large amount, just enough to keep them from totally drying out.

This is a great recipe, geared for the mashed potatoes being kept in a crockpot.
We typically start the potatoes as soon as turkey goes in the oven, although, the recipe states you can make these the day before, and heat up in crockpot.
We put in crockpot on low as soon as the are mashed.

HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES

5 pounds Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup milk
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 ground black pepper (We add a very tiny bit of pepper, I do not care for pepper too much)
4 strips cooked bacon, chopped (optional)

Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return to saucepan.

Add milk, cream cheese, and butter to potatoes. Mash with hand masher or electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in garlic salt and pepper. Spoon into a 12 x 9 inch casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Remove potatoes from refrigerator 3 1/4 hours before serving time. Coat slow cooker insert with vegetable oil spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker. Cover and heat on low setting 3 hours, stirring tiwce. Add chopped bacon before serving, if desired. Potatoes can be held ad additional 30 minutes if needed. Makes sixteen 1/2 cup servings.

NOTE: Mashed potatoes also may be reheated in oven. Bake uncovered in casserole dish for 45 minutes until hot. (SORRY - recipe did not specify the temp here.)

This is almost the same recipe as on the Pioneer Woman site, minus the bacon and the spices. I use her recipe and make the potatoes the day before, pop them in the oven, covered, at 350. Uncovered the edges get brown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter