• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kennedy Space Center?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
Looking for opinions for visiting KSC for 2 adults who are moderately interested in the program. DH has more interest than I but space is not a "passion" of his. TIA

Its definitely worth a visit but I would suggest just the base admission would probably be enough for you. It includes quite a bit including a bus tour that takes you over to the Apollo/Saturn V Center. You also get to see the Space Shuttle Atlantis, participate in the Shuttle Launch Experience and watch any of the IMAX 3D Films.
It takes the better part of a day to do all this as well as look at all the exhibits, visit the gift shop (huge), have lunch, etc.
There are a number of add-on experiences but I would think they would be more for repeat visitors or enthusiasts.

By the way, if you have questions that aren't answered elsewhere, please ask. And if it's not clear in those other posts, I'm a huge fan of Kennedy Space Center. Anyone with just a slight interest in space will most likely love the place.

Thanks. I'm going to look through all of this. We want to go to KSC this time. We're going to do it first before we check in to Disney.

We are considering going next April and wonder if it is worth taking almost 4 year old DGD, almost 8 year old DGS and then 5 adults? We would have to rent at least one car to drive over from Fort Wilderness and we have our own vehicle as well.

We are considering going next April and wonder if it is worth taking almost 4 year old DGD, almost 8 year old DGS and then 5 adults? We would have to rent at least one car to drive over from Fort Wilderness and we have our own vehicle as well.

If any of the adults and/or the older child have an interest in space travel/exploration, I would say it is definitely worth it! We just went a few weeks ago over spring break and it was me, DH, DS10, DS7, and DD3. The complex is huge and there was no way to see it all in a day. That said, we went online and printed out their suggestions for families with kids 10 and under and that was really helpful. My 7 year old loves space and had a great time. He really enjoyed the exhibits and movies. They have an interactive game called Cosmic Quest that he thought was a lot of fun. They have different NASA missions in several of the buildings and you get hints at different portals throughout the exhibit and after you get all the hints, you try and solve the mission. Some are easier than others! My husband enjoyed playing with him and said it was a good way for him to learn about the different concepts in an interactive way. It's an extra fee to play, about $20.

The bus ride from the Center to the Apollo/Saturn V Center goes through a wildlife refuge. Be sure to have the kids sit at the window and look for alligators. We saw at least 5, including one that had to be 10-12 feet long sunning itself on the banks of a canal. It was my 10 year-olds highlight of the day! :goodvibes (He isn't as into space.)

There really isn't too much there for the little one. My 3 1/2 year old was a little edgy, but we knew that could happen going in and I planned to stay with her so my husband and sons could enjoy the exhibits. There is enough to see just by walking around that I didn't feel like I missed out too much by not seeing the movies, etc. Our biggest mistake was forgetting our stroller. They rent them there for only $6 for a single, but they are the hard plastic ones like at Disney and she wasn't able to nap in them. As a result, she ended up napping on me in the middle of the Atlantis exhibit, which is a pretty cool place to be if you are going to sit on a bench for an hour!

The ride there is nice and easy. It's a straight shot and well marked. No problems there, just bring money for tolls! If you have a car, I'd say definitely worth it. If you need to rent a car just to get there, I guess it would depend on how easy that would be and how much everyone wants to go, etc.

One other tip, we found the best discount on tickets on the AAA website if you are members.

DH and I went in 2015 and had a fantastic time! He's interested in aviation (ex-airforce) but I really enjoyed it too with an average interest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter